Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

F

1965 Johnny Pineapple and his orchestra, Hawaiian Holiday. British press.

F

From the still guitar player Rudi Wairata:

Let's sing with Hawaii calls:

And some more random records:

F
FranNL posted on Thu, Jul 5, 2018 2:39 AM

Tropical breeze is the first album of Papaya formed by Eddy Makkink in company of the South Sea dancers. A really nice and fresh recording with some jazzy tunes, rhythm & soul and traditional Indonesian music all with early 80s keyboard arrangements.

F

Krontjong, melodieen uit de archipel LP by Jacky Sprangers. Nice melodies still guitar and sweet vocals.

Beautiful isle of somewhere LP by The Aloha Hawaiians, still guitar that doesn't bring anything really exiting.

Hawaian Paradise LP by The Hawaiian Minstrels, your typical Hawaiian music record covering the classic songs. Not bad but again nothing really exiting.

Aloha! LP by The Blue wahini serenaders, not much to say that the regular Hawaiian music record with a bit of a high tempo.

[ Edited by: FranNL 2019-07-05 04:47 ]

BB

Grabbed a few more discs last time I was at the Goodwill.

Finally came across the souvenir edition of Honeymoon In Hawaii, but the pages in the book are all fused together after getting damp at some point in the past. Any conservators know how to address this? Steam perhaps?

N

Duke Kahanamoku's Favorites, and it looks like it might be autographed.

F

Few finds from the last days:

Iaora Tahiti LP, great drums from "Grand ballet de Tahiti":

The Mauna Loa Islanders Music of the Islands LP 1959 RCA records, nice steel guitar and some exotica tracks

David Nanuru and the Matah Ari Serenaders, Krontjong Memories LP. Just admit that got it because the cover and because was 50 cents.

More in the latin side of the "exotica":
Caribbean Treasure chest from The Merrymen, a great LP from Barbados, singing in english with a funny accent and great lyrics make from this record a gem.

Recuerdo tropical Don Critobal y su orquesta LP, I'm glad I was not tricked by the bad cover with Mexican sombreros, this record is full of mambo and cha cha cha. A great addition for the top moments from the party.

Rhythms of the South, Edmundo Ros LP, great alternative cover no much to add if you know Edmundo Ross, this is what he makes good.

[ Edited by: FranNL 2018-10-25 02:05 ]

[ Edited by: FranNL 2018-11-12 01:38 ]

F

Tiare Tahiti, Recorder in Paris 1975.

[ Edited by: FranNL 2019-02-13 08:21 ]

K

Record I picked up before a cruise out of Papeete, Tahiti. Bimbo...a musician AND a tiki carver. His actual name is/was Moeterauri Tetua.

BB

Found a new co-op open nearby and snagged a stack-o-wax at .50 apiece!

I love these instrumental medley albums. Often cheesy, but also often hiding some talent.

My first Polynesians release found in the wild. Stoked.

A couple duplicates, but in better shape than the ones I already have.

K
Keoni posted on Sun, Mar 17, 2019 7:25 AM

On 2019-02-13 11:13, Kaiwaza wrote:

Record I picked up before a cruise out of Papeete, Tahiti. Bimbo...a musician AND a tiki carver. His actual name is/was Moeterauri Tetua.

Now that looks like an interesting LP!

BB

It's been a good week. Nabbed a whole stack of discs.

First Don Ho album encountered in the wilds of PA.

Couple of Ventures albums.

Ports of Paradise listeners will be familiar with this Space Age accordion orchestra, featuring a couple exotic tracks in the program.

[ Edited by: Bam Bam 2019-03-30 21:22 ]

F

my latest charity shop and swap finds:

Finally I got a copy of Exotica by Martin Denny (all the way from USA to Barcelona, Spain and from there here to Netherlands.

Lure of the islands by Hal Aloma, UK press from 1965 with the classic Hawaiian songs and nothing really exiting.

Hawaiian Holiday by Johnny Poi & Orchestra, 1964 UK press a great version of the classic "Hawaiian war chant" of Tahu Wahu Wahi.

On a tropic night by Ginji Yamaguchi & his Luana Tahitians, great album from Japan on a rare Spanish press.

BB

Nice crate digs!

Found this one today; so you've heard Quiet Village, but have you heard it on harpsichord!?

This is a strange album. It feels like it wants to be exotica, and more than half the tracks are standards of the genre - heck it's got a cut titled "Tiki Waterfall" - but it just can't seem to get very far past that schmaltzy waiting room muzak sound.

In case anyone's feeling adventurous:
https://youtu.be/odDDe5fTV7E

F

On 2019-04-08 22:14, Bam Bam wrote:
Nice crate digs!

Found this one today; so you've heard Quiet Village, but have you heard it on harpsichord!?

This is a strange album. It feels like it wants to be exotica, and more than half the tracks are standards of the genre - heck it's got a cut titled "Tiki Waterfall" - but it just can't seem to get very far past that schmaltzy waiting room muzak sound.

talking about alternative versions of Quiet Village I discovered this really nice one by Leo Addeo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKxNbpgLKSA

Nice crate digs!

Oh my days - I freakin' LOVE this. Makes me think of "Carraway Stream" by The Gordian Knot.

BB

Finally got around to putting together a shadow box for my orphaned Quiet Village 78.

S

On 2019-04-09 11:22, FranNL wrote:

Nice crate digs!

talking about alternative versions of Quiet Village I discovered this really nice one by Leo Addeo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKxNbpgLKSA

And if you haven't heard it, my favorite version is Denny's Queit Village Bossa Nova

F

Got to listen to that version Swanky.

Here few finds from yesterday:

Die Hula Hawaiians 7", 1962 single from this Swiss band. Still guitar meets rag music. Cool cover.

Vanua Levu Little Island in the Sun LP, cheesy 80s keyboard, funny English accent, for sure not the best record out there.

The Kilima Hawaiians, Hawaii Tatoo LP, from 1970 another album of this prolific Dutch band that started as a trio in 1934! Most of there albums have great artwork.

F

The Waikikis, Hawaiian Gigolo LP (1981)

The Mena Minstrels, Mahalo Nui Hawaii LP (1963), After Rudi Wairata left the band Ming Luhulima a.k.a Lou Lima composed alll this covers. Fantastic catalog from Dureco releases and what I call the gothic wahini.

F

OK not my record collection, but I found this really interesting video on youtube. Jello Biafra from Dead Kennedys talking and showing his record collection, also talks about Yma Sumac, Les Baxter, Exotica and shows a Ted Aulleta LP.

Here the link to the first part of the interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeEEwSQZoQ

On 2019-05-28 11:25, FranNL wrote:
OK not my record collection, but I found this really interesting video on youtube. Jello Biafra from Dead Kennedys talking and showing his record collection, also talks about Yma Sumac, Les Baxter, Exotica and shows a Ted Aulleta LP.

Here the link to the first part of the interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeEEwSQZoQ

I hear he's been DJing at Forbidden Island, most recently June 15! Anyone catch that set?

F

The last few weeks I was digging crates like a mad dog. Here some finds:

Musical orchids from Hawaii a fantastic record from Leo Addeo and his orchestra with an alternative version of Quiet Village (1966)

Symphony of the Sea by Vienna pops world symphony orchestra, 1958 Crown records. A great easy listening/pop/classical record. Great from art work to music.

Guitares des Iles by Angelo et ses guitares hawaiennes, Disques Vogue, Paris no date. Instrumental and still guitar by Angelo Petisi.

Aloha Hawaii by The Waikkikis MFP records 1976, The Waikkikis is that great Belgian band well known for the aloha tattoo. Great album.

Hawaiian Magic by Wout Steenhuis & The Kontikis (1968) EMI, a really nice double LP from this British guitar player.

Parels van de Zuidzee by the Honolulu strings, with Frans van Oirschot from The Kilima Hawaiians and other Dutch musicians.

Aloha Hawaii (1969) and Sounds of the Pacific by The Waikiki Beach Boys, UK based band with great tunes.

Found these 2 in pretty great shape today:

Martin Denny - Hawaii Goes a Go Go

“Savage!” Tihati’s South Seas Spectacular

This one is a weird luau promo record? With ads for Don’s and the Veranda’s Surfboard Lounge on the back.

F

Some surf drums on The best of Sandy Nelson

A double LP from Jean Hemmer en his "Guitare Hawaienne" 1979 Lazer records, Made in France.

F
FranNL posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2019 4:47 AM

Songs of the islands by The Kilima Hawaiians, 1973 on CBS. One of my favorite albums from them with a great version of Kilauea moon serenade.

Waikiki Hawaii by Die Honolulu Tamores, 1969 Pearl serie Germany.

F
FranNL posted on Sat, Aug 3, 2019 7:18 AM

The Surfsiders sing the Beach Boys Songbook LP 1965 on Design records. I grab this thinking that will may have a nice B side version of Beach Boys. The reality is that is a bad album from a cover band.

Russ Henderson and his Caribbean Boys LP 1966 on Allegro records printed in UK. Great Caribbean tunes with a fantastic cover featuring a fake tropical scene with a lady holding a voodoo doll, fake plants and palm trees.

Lots of cool scores, Fran. Looks like all the good records only turn up in Nederland these days.

M
MrFab posted on Sun, Aug 4, 2019 9:00 AM

On 2019-08-03 07:18, FranNL wrote:
The Surfsiders sing the Beach Boys Songbook LP 1965 on Design records. I grab this thinking that will may have a nice B side version of Beach Boys. The reality is that is a bad album from a cover band.

Score!! That is actually an (in)famous and sought-after album in the world of strange/outsider music. Yes, it is bad. Sometimes laughably so. There are people who would pay good money for it, so, if you're a person of taste, you might want to ebay that sucker.

There's even a new novelty group on Norton Records called The New Surfsiders that continues the tradition (?) of amusingly bad Beach Boy covers.

F
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.