Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

On 2010-09-20 04:14, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

I think the gift shop needs a stack of books when they are available....

That would be cool if they had a stack there. I'll go talk to them. Nice photos, Freddie. Looked like a fun night at La Mariana!! :)

Won't be long now. I count 9 days to release!! Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs is available here

EEEEE 9 days I'm waiting with my clams ready for purchase

On 2010-09-20 04:14, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

I think the gift shop needs a stack of books when they are available....

Definitely.

Aloha,

One of my friends, Cory Kot is an artist. He mostly does etched glass with Hawaiian influenced graphics. This is his website.

Anyhow, he decided to gift me one of his oil paintings I'd admired for a long time. I love it! Mahalos!

It's a painting of the Tiki (seen on the right hand page in the below photo) in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. It was (long gone) located in a public garden in the Diamond Head recreational park and erected as a tribute to fallen surfers. Where it went and why it disappeared is a mystery.

Fil, Is this available in Europe or do we need to order from Hawaii?

Aloha,

Simon and Nina!

On 2010-09-24 05:14, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Is this available in Europe or do we need to order from Hawaii?

The book is available through the Bess Press website. They can handle european orders.

The book is now available on Amazon.

Statue at the Royal Hawaiian hidden in the overgrown plants.For more info on this statue.

Phillip

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-03 21:06 ]

Got mine in da mail today, what a cool book you made! I always thought there should be some sort of book with all the tiki's around Oahu... and this is mainly just Waikiki... nice one!
I think it may be time soon to go to Oahu for the weekend...:wink:

On 2010-09-29 15:46, Beachbumz wrote:
Got mine in da mail today, what a cool book you made! I always thought there should be some sort of book with all the tiki's around Oahu... and this is mainly just Waikiki... nice one!

Nice!

Aloha,

On 2010-09-29 15:46, Beachbumz wrote:

oops Wrong Bum, but Mahalo!!!

October 1st, 2010 from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-09-30 13:45 ]

Aloha,

I was just up at Bess Press signing copies of the book! I am so happy that this day is finally here! Mahalo NUI LOA to everybody at Tiki Central for your support

Phillip~
Congrats. So looking forward to receiving my copy of your book.
~kele

Aloha,

On 2010-10-01 20:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
Phillip~
Congrats. So looking forward to receiving my copy of your book.
~kele

Thank you so very much, ~kele.

I hope you will enjoy reading *Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs *as much as I enjoyed putting it together over the last seventeen years. I was fortunate enough to have access to the Wimberly, Allison, Tong and Goo archives and must whole-heartedly thank them for their contribution to my project.

The *Waikikian Hotel * is lovingly documented as is the *Tahitian Lanai * restaurant. You will see the **ORIGINAL ** model used by Wimberly and Cook to test the theory of the main lobby's unique design. You will not only see the broiler plate (in a photo you all know) from the Waikikian, but it's CURRENT location in Kalihi. You will see the *Canlis restaurant * in archival photographs and the Edward M. Brownlee centerpiece in its current state.

And so much more incredible vintage eyecandy, I cannot describe it all. You will also see the current state of Waikiki from shop window displays that lasted only a week to long forgotten statues that have stood the test of time. You will see the (now lost) storage room of the International Market Place and the treasures it once held. And so much more around the island of Oahu, past and present...

When you come to Waikiki, I will be happy to make some time to show you around.

Hey, Phillip,

Congrats on the book! It was beyond awesome to hang with you and take your walking tour back in April. All the best. Get this book, folks, if you haven't already!

Aloha!

On 2010-10-02 10:46, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Hey, Phillip,

Congrats on the book! It was beyond awesome to hang with you and take your walking tour back in April. All the best. Get this book, folks, if you haven't already!

Many mahalos! Yes, the walk I give in Waikiki is way fun and the Waitiki 7 got the full tour

If anyone comes to Honolulu, I will be happy to take some time to conduct the "Wiki Wiki Waikiki Tiki Walking Tour" for them!

You can now get books directly from me or Bess Press!

Phillip

Congrats on the book Phil!

Do you think they'd ship it to Canada?

Aloha,

On 2010-10-02 13:34, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Congrats on the book Phil!

Do you think they'd ship it to Canada?

Many mahalos Slacks! Yes, they will. They have already shipped it to Canada, Italy, France, England, New Zealand, and Israel...

HT

I got a copy of your book the other day, really enjoyed seeing all of the Tiki's of Honolulu. Enjoyed seeing my friend Gecko in the book. Thank you for doing a great job on the book. Roger Brittan We were just in Honolulu for 3 weeks last month.

Aloha,

On 2010-10-02 15:58, HB TIKI wrote:
I got a copy of your book the other day, really enjoyed seeing all of the Tiki's of Honolulu. Enjoyed seeing my friend Gecko in the book. Thank you for doing a great job on the book. Roger Brittan We were just in Honolulu for 3 weeks last month.

Thanks! Gecko should have suggested you call me. I feel sad when I miss visitors.
KEVIN! BOB of Http://bittner.com (who bought 7 autographed copies of "Waikiki Tiki" for his friends for Christmas... That's thinking ahead buddy!)

Pat, Kylie, Ernie, Jeff, Pat, Nikki, Dawn ...

I can sell a copy. Email me for details.

A

Got our copy in the mail. Wow, that has lots AND LOTS of stuff I've never seen before! I think my favorite thing in there that's new to me is the model of the Waikikian lobby structure.

Thanks for assembling all these materials - the book is deceptively voluminous, and seems to grow as you flip through it!

-Randy

Aloha,

On 2010-10-04 10:19, aquarj wrote:
Wow, that has lots AND LOTS of stuff I've never seen before!

I am REALLY glad that you like it! You've been collecting a long time and have seen plenty of things. I wanted the book to POP with NEW (and or Rarely seen) IMAGES. I remember being VERY nervous when other books about Waikiki or Tiki were released.

I think my favorite thing in there that's new to me is the model of the Waikikian lobby structure.

How amazing is it to see that? It's one of my favorites images from Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs, too. I remember the first time I saw it in the archives at the offices of Wimberly, Allison, Tong, & Goo. Breathtaking! I also am very proud of finding Brownlee's first commission for Canlis in

Thanks for assembling all these materials - the book is deceptively voluminous, and seems to grow as you flip through it!

Mahalo! Awesome feedback Randy.

Aloha

Alternate Take- PNG carving now located at the 2nd level coffee shop at the International Market Place, Waikiki, Hawaii

There is (was) a great deal of Papuan carvings at the ITNLMP. If you have already bought Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs you can see many of the things I found in the storage room. That room is now gone. Where it's contents went is anyone's guess. However, while I do not know where the many (termite eaten) contents of the room went, I think I know the origin of many of these items that previously graced the open air shopping complex in the middle of Waikiki...

According to a Honolulu newspaper article, while Edward M. Bronwnlee began to carve in 1956-57, Donn Beach embarked on a year long voyage to "collect materials and cheap trade goods in the South Pacific" for the Market Place... How FUN that must have been and how great the results of the voyage.

Comments?

Aloha,

This is at the Border's Express at the Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki!

Aloha,

I am on this weeks broadcast / podcast of the Cocktail Nation with Koop Kooper talking about Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs!

Edward M. Brownlee minimalistic telephone pole carving at the remnants of the Waikikian Hotel Main Lobby in 1997. I should have used this in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. I think I tried to sneak it in at the last minute but it was too late.

Available NOW from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-10-13 12:24 ]

what a wonderful book, was really impressed with the spectacular photos...you can hear an interview I did with Phillip on this weeks Cocktail Nation show.
http://www.cocktailnation.net to hear it

Aloha,

Thanks Koop... It was fun to do the interview!

• Hawaii Magazine November / December 2010 Issue gives the book some ink! *

The book may appear small, but it is packed to the gills with photos. Took me 3 days to get through it. Highly recommended. Some questions....

This mask is similar to the one by Lokena-1954 on page 236...same person?

This unmarked mug looks like the one on page 241 from Lucky Pierre's. Also from Lucky Pierre's?

I posted this in Tiki Finds before but was wondering if you knew more about this location

Small plate with sticker on the back that reads:
Coco Palms Hotel at Waikiki
2465 Koa Ave
Honolulu Hawaii

How about this location? Tiki in name only?

Congratulations on a great book!

On 2010-10-15 16:19, bongofury wrote:
The book may appear small, but it is packed to the gills with photos. Took me 3 days to get through it. Highly recommended. Congratulations on a great book!

Mahalo Nui Loa. That means a great deal to me Ron. Thank You very much.

Some questions... This mask is similar to the one by Lokena-1954 on page 236...

Same mold. Lokena is one mystery of the Hawaii Potters that is not completely solved. No one seems thus far to know much thus far and I ask. There was a set of Oceanic mugs on Ooga-Mooga a while back that are red clay like the others shown.

This unmarked mug looks like the one on page 241 from Lucky Pierre's. Also from Lucky Pierre's?

Looks like it. Lucky Pierre's was in the Puck's Alley / University area. Dan said some movie guy owned it...

Coco Palms Hotel at Waikiki
2465 Koa Ave

How about this location? Tiki in name only?

Nothing there now. I'll search the library. Thanks For All your help!

Aloha!

Foam Moai in a resturant in Haleiwa Kaula Pork was Yummy!

G
Gavin posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 9:34 AM

Phillip,
Thanks for your recommendations on music venues.
We will see you in a few days. I will call you and buy your book from you.
Perhaps we can meet up at the House Without a Key.
Or?
Thanks again.

J

Hi Phillip. Please check your PMs. Thank you.

Aloha!

Loads of people in town is a good thing!

I'll set aside some time for a tour! :)

Crouching Lion Inn UPDATE: 4/6/12 - Noted by Freddie "House of Ku" that this is a cast that 'Gecko' did.

Crouching Lion Inn

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-04-06 19:06 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-04-06 19:25 ]

H

Phil, I am having the best time reading your book, thanks for such a wonderful book. I love all the amazing pictures and I miss Honolulu. Hope to see you there soon .

Aloha,

On 2010-10-24 23:59, hiltiki wrote:
Phil, I am having the best time reading your book, thanks for such a wonderful book. I love all the amazing pictures and I miss Honolulu. Hope to see you there soon .

Mahalo NUI LOA! You and Steve are great friends and I appreciate your kind words! I am glad you enjoy my book. You both were important in the "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" creation phase. :)

Gavin, it was a complete pleasure to meet you and Jennifer! I enjoyed showing you some of the art this town offers! How about that mural? Sweet, eh?

Haleiwa

Aloha,

Entrance with Phillipine made monkeypod comedy/tragedy-styled tiki masks. Not included in "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" for various reasons but I do like the aqua paint on the poles and door.

Phillip~
Thank you so much for Waikiki Tiki & especially all the information on the Waikikian Hotel & Tahitian Lanai restaurant. New pics & models that I haven't seen before. Thank you so much for making these available!
~kele

Aloha,

Thanks ~Kele!! :) It's all about the memories!

*Tiki's Grill and Bar now has copies of "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" in their giftshop for sale. *

Shack, Waikiki. Kuhio Avenue entrance.

On 2010-10-30 00:59, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Thanks ~Kele!! :) It's all about the memories!

*Tiki's Grill and Bar now has copies of "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" in their giftshop for sale. *

Only appropriate.

J

I'm in Hawaii right now where this book has really inspired me !! :)

"Sell the house. Sell the car. Sell the kids. Find someone else. Forget it! I'm never coming back." - Apocalypse Now (1979).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-11-03 22:22 ]

Mahalo Nui Loa, John-O. Nice to meet you! That's a wicked moko!

Aloha,

I'm quite excited by the news that my book is for sale at the Bishop Museum giftshop!

Stone image from Kohala in the courtyard of the B.P. Bishop Museum.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-11-04 21:27 ]

On 2010-11-04 19:51, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I'm quite excited by the news that my book if for sale at the Bishop Museum giftshop!

Stone image from Kohala in the courtyard of the B.P. Bishop Museum.

That's great news, Phil, Congrats! That's where it belongs. Wonder if I will ever see the day when there will be a Polynesian pop exhibition there...

On 2010-07-12 16:29, Phillip Roberts wrote:

On 2010-07-12 14:04, aquarj wrote:
Now that's some good news, can't wait to see it! Midcentury poly-pop from Waikiki is kind of a gap in the documented world of tiki, and it looks like this book will fill that gap nicely!

-Randy

Mahalo Randy. There is plenty of archival stuff and modern eyecandy contained in the 264 pages between the hard cover. I am really happy with the way the book turned out. Pre-orders have begun not only on my book, but some other titles the Tikicentralites might enjoy. "The Arts and Crafts of Micronesia" and the "Petroglyphs from Hawaii" are pretty rad (I seen them), and I want to read the Rell Sunn book.

Two people from Australlia were the first to order "Waikiki Tiki," based on the Bess Press Catalog released earlier this year, before it was even sent to the printer. Identify yourselves please.

Me next to Edward M. Brownlee's Canlis Comission.

October 1st, 2010 from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-07-15 22:25 ]

Is this Tiki on public land?
If so, where?

Aloha,

First off Mahalo, Sven. I too would like to see that exhibit at the Bishop. They must have incredible things stored away. Perhaps we are one day closer today! :)

on 0-11-05 14:13, christiki295 wrote:[/i]

Is this Tiki on public land? If so, where?

Thank you for your question Chris. However, I am HONOR BOUND not reveal the location or the owners of Edward M. Brownlee's 1st commission for Canlis, aka the "Lono" carving.

As important as that carving is to the Tiki world, take solace in knowing it is being preserved for future generations and in good hands who know what it is. One of the conditions of being granted access to the owners fabulous and vast collection (and it took quite a while, once I'd tracked the artifact down...) is that they asked me not to, and that is enough for me.

I'm glad you enjoy my book.

Phillip

I trembled, while first touching the master carvers work.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-11-05 23:00 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-08 14:47 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-08 14:49 ]

Just got my book the other day. Wow...great job Phil. You really did pack it full of pictures...that is my kind of book )pictures & captions)...it is just beautiful. CONGRATULATIONS and THANX!!!

Honolulu Star Advertiser pics of the launch party. Nothing beats a Sunday at Dukes with Henry Kapono.

http://www.honolulupulse.com/events/pics-launch-party-for-waikiki-tiki-art-history-photographs?pid=2939

Aloha,

On 2010-11-08 10:59, Mongoloid wrote:
Nothing beats a Sunday at Dukes with Henry Kapono.

Hell Yeah!

A fair and balanced review of my book, Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs!

Comments?

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-11-11 13:06 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies