Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New mug from Trader Sam's?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 417 replies

Any word on a new mug? This past weekend was the anniversary, after all.

"It will happen when it happens, if it happens." :D

K

As I predicted: no new mugs. Again, I was told maybe October-ish.

New drinks at Sam's!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/tangaroa-terrace-menu-gets-makeover-plus-three-new-drinks-at-trader-sams-at-disneyland-hotel/

"Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar fans will love three new cocktails. Start with the Murky Mojito made with rum, fresh lime juice, mint and organic agave nectar topped with a splash of Angostura bitters. Or the Passionate Python with dark and aged rums, red passion fruit and tropical juices, garnished with an orange peel “python.” If you’re foregoing alcohol, try the Polynesian Punch, a mix of Sam’s Gorilla Grog with hibiscus grenadine. Sit back, sip and let the fun begin."

Hopefully that's the sign that a new mug is on the way, too.

I hope the new drinks at Sam's are good. I have noticed that generally there is a huge difference between "classic" cocktails and "restaurant consultant" cocktails. Often this is caused by the inability (or reluctance) of bar owners/operators to buy pricier ingredients like the good rums and other flavorings which we here appreciate so much. Sam's is fun, and I hope to see new mugs accompany the new drinks.

K

For the record, those are old-new drinks that have been out about a month ago. :P Passionate Python is the Sidewinder's Fang. I've been told that Murky Mojito is "a version of" a 151 Swizzle (though I don't see the relation myself).

No new mugs for these, though the non-alcoholic Polynesian Punch comes in the sipper used for Enchanted Tiki Room that is currently available since the last D23:

Ah. Def new to me… and they pushed them for the first time on the blog, today.

Nice to see they're using the sipper cup at Sam's. That's a nice piece, even if it is plastic.

The sipper cups were out for a good stretch of time, which resulted in people claiming they were limited edition on ebay.

J

Well they originally WERE advertised by Disney as limited edition (1000 if I recall). They sold out very quickly. They made a comeback during D23 expo last year and have been around since (so much for limited, much like a lot of their "limited time magic" offerings last year). As for the new drinks, they've been there a little while now. Finally got around to trying them on Monday. The Murky Mojito was ok, nothing special to me, though I'm the wrong person to ask as I really don't care for mint. The Passionate Python was much too sweet for my taste, though we had a brand new bartender just learning the drinks so perhaps I should give it a shot another time. I think the Polynesian punch may have been the same thing they were serving at the outside bar during D23, I'll have to check to be sure, my memory of that day is a little murky.

We visited last week and my daughter ordered that drink. It was tasty, but the tiki glass it is offered in was sold out and unavailable.

Which drink mug were they sold out of?

K

On 2014-07-01 15:03, wizzard419 wrote:
Which drink mug were they sold out of?

I'm guessing the Polynesian Punch (sipper above).

A new mug might be on the way for this new Adventureland Role Playing Game that is going to premiere in August. At D23, last year, WDI tested out the game and the prizes included a Trader Sam's 'juju' mask on a keychain.

On 2014-07-24 11:43, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
A new mug might be on the way for this new Adventureland Role Playing Game that is going to premiere in August. At D23, last year, WDI tested out the game and the prizes included a Trader Sam's 'juju' mask on a keychain.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/07/dateline-adventureland-adventure-trading-company-opening-soon-at-disneyland-park/

From the link: "Hello adventurers, Tallahassee Glover here with the first of a series of dispatches from deep in the jungles of Adventureland at Disneyland park. The birds who sing words tell us that a new merchant is opening soon for a limited engagement beginning August 1. Adventure Trading Company will be a provisions and publications company with a knack for selling goods that send the buyers on wild adventures. At the end of these adventures are Adventureland relics known as Juju. These unique artifacts reflect the ancient traditions and importance of storytelling in Adventureland. Collect Juju! Collect adventures! Collect stories!"

Those jujus are pretty nice. I have a few. Anyone heard anything else about a mug coming along with it?

I wonder where they plan on putting the "storefront"? Possibly Aladdin's Oasis since things are kind of tight in that section.

Hopefully it lasts longer than a month since I don't go near the parks until the tourists are gone.

Right across from IJA, from what I understand. The oasis will be a quest location, though.

(Bring back Tahitian Terrace!!)

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram! @EPCOTExplorer

[ Edited by: EPCOTExplorer 2014-07-25 10:26 ]

K

Where are you guys getting the storefront business from? Also, no tie-ins to mugs here, so I'd maybe keep the two on separate subjects. Sam's mugs will remain at Sam's.

And if you start a new thread, please also remember to slug the thread title with "Anaheim" for future when we will have two Trader Sam's locations.

No, I'm not your mom. heh...

Storefront is just being used as what they theme it as, since it is supposed to be a trading post as the hub.

J

New mug released (08/25)
Second Edition of the Krakatoa Mug

Same sculpt as the previous Krakatoa, with a new glaze, just like they did with the barrel mug a while back. One difference, however, is that they're actually acknowledging this as a 2nd edition as seen on the bottom of the mug, unlike the barrel that still says 1st edition. This glaze is much better if you ask me, really shows off the detail in the sculpt much better than the previous glaze. These are going fast and from what I've been told will be sold out by tomorrow. Hopefully they can get more stock relatively quickly but who knows. Sometimes new Sam's mugs sell out and aren't seen again for quite a while.

I'm surprised that it is the same design but they took the time to actually change out the copy on the bottom. You would think something like that would not be easy to change out.

S

On 2014-08-26 20:13, wizzard419 wrote:
I'm surprised that it is the same design but they took the time to actually change out the copy on the bottom. You would think something like that would not be easy to change out.

It's actually quite simple when you know what you're doing wizzard419. When you make mugs in runs of hundreds, or thousands, a master is made called a 'block and case' which effectively allows you to make as many molds as you like without loss of detail. All they have to do is modify the base part of the mold and make more of them, not the entire thing.

K

Though if you really wanna be picky, you'll notice that "2nd" reads much thinner than the rest of the font and when compared to "1st" on the other mug. :wink:

Plus, Disney and their tiki designers are very aware of the collector's market and also us tiki fans. I remember the designers attending The Hukilau 3 or 4 years ago and I (and others) had all sorts of stuff which they made hand-signed. That was when I first learned that custom mugs were in the works for Trader Sam's.

I just hope they keep em in stock. It's a lovely mug.

F

Was there last night and picked up one of these. They were all out of the zombie mug. Rumor from behind the bar is that when they get back in stock, they MAY be "second edition". Just a guess, but it could jut be glaze coloring. No further details were known.

Fascinating. I'm happy some mug changes are on the way, but I'm really anticipating a new cast/shape.

...maybe they're waiting for Orlando Sam's?

For the zombie, they also might be getting ready for next month since Halloween promotions will probably start on 9/12 (That's when haunted mansion holiday appears to be opening).

K

I'd expect the same Shrunken Zombie Head mug, but different glaze. I've heard a rumor of limited edition for this particular one, but that might be a stretch. Either way I'd bank on a new glaze, and I will likely be picking one of them up.

I'm sure they will be on ebay that day with the claim they are, just like those plastic dole sippers they have at DLR.

It's seemingly going to be the Zombie mug, in an orange and black glaze. Yes. Next month.

Happy Halloween. :)

Wizard & EpcotExplorer are correct. The last time I was there they told me that they were going to have a new color zombie mug for Halloween. I am sure it will look cool.

Now if they can get the bar to get on message with the rest of the property (they have a habit of being late with seasonal stuff), then you should expect the mugs... I guess next week.

On 2014-09-03 20:45, wizzard419 wrote:
Now if they can get the bar to get on message with the rest of the property (they have a habit of being late with seasonal stuff), then you should expect the mugs... I guess next week.

HA! It's WAYYYY too early for Halloween... but if they were actually able to have the mug in stock from now until the holiday, I'd not be complaining. :wink:

HA! It's WAYYYY too early for Halloween... but if they were actually able to have the mug in stock from now until the holiday, I'd not be complaining. :wink:

So, September 1st marked the beginning of the Christmas sales season here in my local big-box stores. We're up to a 4-month sales cycle for Christmas nowadays. I don't expect Disney to follow suit, that would be just too confusing. But your post reminded me of how stores have been extending the "Christmas season" longer and longer over the past 10 years. Now a FULL THIRD of the year is Christmas shopping season.

Yes, I've already started my shopping. Why not - the selection of stuff is awesome right now. And there are few, if any, crazy shopping lines. I normally procrastinate, so this is excellent for me.

A bartender there confirmed that it's going to be the same zombie design, but different color & it will be in stock... I don't remember what date, but it was something-teen this month. Damn rum...

I would love to see an actual custom mug or glass for the HippopotoMai-Tai, rather than that generic tiki glass they have been using.

I could see a sculpt by Tiki tOny of a Hippo being one neat idea for this..

Or heck, Disney has artists available to come up with something interesting

Since HMH is part of both Halloween-time and Holiday-time promotions, they start on the December promotion super early too. :D

For them it is mostly because the overlays are time-consuming and costly to install.

I know this is off-topic, but is HMH coming to Orlando? They've been cancelling it for budget reasons for many years. Not that their budget is tight - they just didn't want to spend the money.

I don't think it ever was planned for Orlando, just rumors generated because they used the MK one to build the Tokyo one because they use the same layout. The main reason being, consumers may only visit WDW once a decade or less, so closing anything big is done as rarely as possible.

On 2014-09-04 05:49, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

Halloween Time at DLR officially starts September 12th this year, for HMH. It's not as early as you think :wink:

R

I can't wait to see what's next!!

Yeah, WDW's Halloween parties started this week, too. It's crazy.

And thankfully, no, we don't have HMH. I'm a Mansion purist, so I have no desire to see WED's awesome artwork mucked up with clutter from the 90s. :)

I do have a desire to nail down when this seemingly orange zombie is coming to Disneyland, though...

Epcot is what you would call a "Fright Supremacist" :D

K
kkocka posted on Tue, Sep 9, 2014 3:38 PM

Thank you kkocka.

It’s one day only, and guaranteed to put you in the spirit of Halloween Time – Trader Sam’s “Mahaloween Luau,” with seatings starting at 3 p.m., September 29.
Just 100 guests per seating will have the pleasure of this kooky seasonal party that includes beverages and eats, live music and insider info with Imagineers and Disney cast members. Guests attending “Mahaloween Luau” will receive a special edition glass available only at the event. Collectors take note, the second edition of the Zombie souvenir glass will also be available for purchase at the event, before it is available to the public the next day.
“Mahalo” is a Hawaiian word meaning thanks, praise or regards, and this “Mahaloween Luau” gives fans of the Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar trademark humor an insider’s hour of fun at the legendary watering hole.
Choose your hour: 3-4 p.m., 4:30-5:30 p.m., 6-7 p.m. or 7:30-8:30 p.m. The fun starts on the patio with appetizers and two drink tickets (beer, wine, Zombie Drink or Polynesian Punch). Move inside for live entertainment and a Disney tiki presentation by Walt Disney Imagineering. You’ll also have a chance to meet some of Disney’s concept artists and other special guests.
When the party ends, you’ll get a Jungle River Cruise Expedition Bag that includes a Trader Sam panama hat, a boxed special-edition “Mahaloween Luau” glass (with a dated stamp), a Trader Sam print on canvas, and a coupon good for 20 percent off at the adjacent Tangaroa Terrace. Guests also can purchase up to two additional second-edition Zombie souvenir glasses.
Cost is $125 per person, including tax and tip. To reserve your spot, call 714-781-DINE – reservations open tomorrow!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 417 replies