Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hawaiian Shirt Art Swap! RESULTS PAGE 26

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

T

Mike, great photo/ tag re: Honu swimming to Vegas!

Please video the foam melting. Nail polish remover should melt it, or any other solvent.

Love the cutter idea- I should have used this instead of carving out the plumeria in my mug!

MaukaHele, looking good!

Six weeks away, just enough time to figure out how to glaze the Aloha Shirt mug. Man, I hate glazing.

Jon, keep up the pix!

How many participants do we have so far?

Dave, I will have to do a count and see how many participants we have.

Operation Styro-Melt:
I started with a 22g x 6 inch spinal needle (it's good to have connections) and a bottle of acetone (fingernail polish remover)

I used the needle to direct the acetone into the foam until it started to drip out the bottom and the sleeve holes

I was able to start pulling out the leftover styrofoam and the acetone does not seemed to have damaged the clay.

So it seems the operation was a success but the patient may die anyway :lol:
Now without the support of the foam core, the shirt is starting to slump. And it is going to be difficult to finish punching out the flowers without the foam backing. I should have finished the shirt and let it dry more before dissolving the foam. We'll see what happens

U are a Mad Man

This sure is a fun thread to read and view. Keep up the good work. Wendy

Nice one Jon! :wink:
Well the operation was a success but the patient died :lol: (one of my dad's favorite sayings)
I let the shirt dry enough so it would stand by itself but it broke in several places when I tried to punch more flowers :(

I get to start over including making a new form since I dissolved the last one. BUT I already have the plumaria cutter made. Will try to punch a sample of the paperclay. If that works I can just leave the foam form inside and don't have to worry about melting it out

And so it begins, again :lol:

The trials of MadDogMike teach us all to never give up.
I'm so happy to be done and to sit back and watch the fun.
Cheers, Wendy

Go Mike Go

T

(what Jon said).

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-12-22 18:18 ]

Classic Ano

I was in good shape back in 2005 LOL

Making some progress with paperclay this time

MadDogMike I can hardly wait to see you model this shirt for us. This is special. Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2014 6:42 PM

That is looking good MadDog!

Go Mike Go
Lookin good

T

Go go go!

I fired a few test tiles and am now unsure how to glaze my mug. I still have a few weeks left so plenty of time to procrastinate and watch everyone else finish their projects... and get more slash better glaze inspirations.

C
cy posted on Tue, Dec 30, 2014 3:26 PM

Finally have some progress for you. I chose a small piece of cedar and laid a template down. Next I rough cut the outline with a chain saw and used an arbortech grinder to smooth out, and finally a bit'o whittlin' with a knife. He will be stained dark to match the frame, I may even get the torch out and burn portions to further mimic Bosko's style. I decided to use the burlap type background that came with the frame, but I will spray it some other color to match the aloha shirt that will be painted on the carving.

You are sure good with tools CY. That's a wonderful tiki. 3rd times the charm??? Wendy

C
cy posted on Tue, Dec 30, 2014 4:07 PM

You are too sweet and innocent for a "Good with my Tool" joke Wendy so thanks and I appreciate!

T

cy, looking great.

I finally fired those test tiles- though now I may want to test some more glazes.... ha ha. Here are some blue-ish versions.

Mike, can't wait to see your piece finished. Really digging all of the creativity and range of approaches for this Swap. All participants should message me and I'll send you my shipping address so you can just mail your pieces to me. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

• Sincerely, Tiki Ano.

Cy- right on Bruddah. Me like
Ano- nice batch o blues

Cy that is carved from a piece of log and not from a plank? Cool!
Dave I love those colors, especially the left two

CY oops!

Tiki Ano I really like those blues on the left and also your glaze test strips.

Should be ready to go into the kiln Saturday

I wouldn't put the plant in da kiln Bruddah

Looks great Mad man

T

Mike, looks great! Wow... okay, I can't wait for this one to arrive at my home, too.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Tiki Ano

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2015 7:41 PM

I like the refined effort even better MDM.

I can't wait to see how you glaze this MDM so get busy!!! Wendy

Working on a matching bonus piece :wink:

Nice
Love bonus work

Survived the bisque fire, now working on a base

Sweet....

M

MDM, What you are doing is very creative.

T

All right, all these posts force me to head to the studio tomorrow and glaze the piece. Wish me (and you) luck. :)

MadDogMike you are always outside of the box. Didn't you ever play in one as a kid?

Tiki Ano I wish you luck.

The countdown is on....

I was starting to think that I was going to have to back out since I hadn't gotten my butt in gear BUT ------
(pun intended)

I brought a slab of clay home from school and an idea. My plan is to bang this thing out over the weekend, except for the drying part. I'm hoping to make a platter/plate shaped like a Hawaiian shirt painted with an overall floral pattern. Something that could be hung or used. I'll use food safe glazes so you can use it for cheese and crackers or pupus of some other sort. And since I was actually sad to have sent off my last couple of swap pieces I'm going to attempt to make two - one to swap and one to keep! Maybe I'll paint them differently and allow my swap partner to choose - you never know! :wink:

Thanks for all the inspiration, it finally worked and in the nick of time!
Here's a picture similar to my online inspiration. Colors won't be like this though...

:)
Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2015-01-08 19:13 ]

R

Hey wow...just caught back up with this thread. Everyone's come up with some pretty imaginative ideas and I'm getting excited about seeing all the posts when the end of the month comes...great work everyone!

A progress photo from the lab...the original shirt photo is back on page 4...This is just the underglazes and it's got a couple coats of clear gloss and is back in for the final firing. The colors may change a little...and I'm new to glazing...so my fingers are crossed ever so slightly behind my back.

Mad Dog - Wishing you gods speed as were eyeballing the lamp.

LoriLovesTiki that's going to be really cute.

RVICTOR that came out really well.

Countdown. Wendy

Lori, great idea. I also like the idea of making two, one for you and one for your Swap partner. Brilliant!
RVictor, looks great. Good luck with the firing. BTW, even when you've done glazing for a long time you still cross your fingers behind your back. Every firing has a certain "sphincter puckering" effect :lol:

Great stuff all

Aloha

Mike -

Thanks and LOL on the sphincter comment!!!

T

RVictor, looks great. Underglazes (in my experience) usually don't change TOO much (am I right, Wendy/ Mike?)

To join in on the "discussion," I finally sat down and glazed the Art Swap mug. After firing two test tiles, I chose a glaze that I think will work best. Two glazes, actually- note that the finished piece will (hopefully) look very different than it's current state.

Time to pucker up.... ha!

Yes, TikiAno - Underglazes usually just intensify in color some. Happy puckering :lol:

Game on!!

Every time I try to carve clay I marvel at how hard it is and how easy Wendy makes it look!!

Game on!!

Every time I try to carve clay I marvel at how hard it is and how easy Wendy makes it look!!

Great start Lori!

Sweet stuff guys

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies