Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Kustom Tiki Kill! Kill! at Straya's Kustom Lane Gallery May 27th with Doug,Toe,and Kinny! Oi!

Pages: 1 2 48 replies

It's gonna be a LOWDOWN LOWBROW THROWDOWN DOWN UNDA on Friday May 27th!
Doug Horne,BigToe,and myself
have been graciously invited
by Kustom Lane gallery's Tony and Janet Peake
to continue our traditional yearly exhibition...

First there was "Clash of the Titans"
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=44574&forum=17&start=0

Then it was "War of the Gargantuas"
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=46892&forum=17&start=0

Next was "Blood Orgy of the Behemoths"
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49166&forum=17

and now...
in the fine tradition of the aforementioned Legendary Exhibitions
We are bringing to Australia (Victoria,to be precise)
"KUSTOM TIKI! KILL! KILL!"
It's Chunder Down Under where these Savage Seppos
Fight TO THE DEATH in a Bloody Bosstralian Battleground!
3 Artists
12 Categories
36 pieces
which we will be revealing on here
in small doses until the week of the show!
Can you believe that Australia is allowing us on the Island?
(just kidding! it's a Continent,Blokes!)

Artist Reception: Friday May 27th 7pm til late
Meet the Artists Day! Saturday May 28th Noon til ?

Kustom Lane Gallery
535-537 Glenferrie Rd
Hawthorn Victoria 3122
http://www.kustomlane.com

Questions/Inquiries about the art
[email protected]
03 9818 1307

Doug and Tom will join in the madness on here soon...
They're slowpokes and are still working on their pieces...
But let me tell you....
the work for this exhibition is BLOODY BONZER!

the categories are as follows...

1. Tiki Temple
  2. Marquesan
  3. Hawaiian
  4. Maori
  5. Papua New Guinea
  6. Rapa Nui
  7. Deadly Animals of Terra Austral
  8. Australian Cryptozoology
  9. Post Apocalyptic Australia
  10. Australian Men of Legend
  11. Monster Island
  12. Freakshow

Come on down and Join the Rabble on Friday the 27th!
Or,if you'd like a more casual viewing experience
and lengthy,nonsensical explanations of the pieces
by these Talented Ratbags
then Saturday the 28th
is just what you're hankerin for!

Come on Down and Help us Recover our Flight and Shipping costs!
Free Hugs and Harassments at the events!

See you there!

http://www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook and now Instagram under Ken Ruzic
AW Jeah!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2016-05-04 08:41 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 4, 2016 5:40 AM

You're bloody kidding me mate. I'm in Melbourne next week, and you're there a couple of weeks later! Have a good trip down under.

B
BigToe posted on Thu, May 5, 2016 9:20 AM

"It's gonna be a LOWDOWN LOWBROW THROWDOWN DOWN UNDA", a fantastic tagline for the show by Doug "Dirty Digger" Horne. We are so geeked for this show!!!! looking forward to posting some eye candy for the peoples!

Well.. Somebody's gotta start posting Finished pieces!
We're going to try and synch up our entries for you...
here is the first....

Category: Rapa Nui
"the Appearance of Make-Make"
acrylic on wood
16 x 20"
Frame by MP Mikel Parton

This painting pictures a Moai Kava Kava in the foreground gazing at the Creator and Fertility god Make-Make,perched on his finger. Being the main deity of the Tangatu manu Birdman,i have decided to picture him with both attributes,based upon a wooden artifact found upon the island. The Birmen,Moai, and Janus theme are sprinkled about this painting. The composition was inspired by Thomas Hart Benton's "the Picnic".
if you are interested in owning this piece
please contact Tony Peake [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/ken.ruzic/media_set?set=a.10208307184264525.1073741849.1451540979&type=3

B
BigToe posted on Sun, May 8, 2016 9:12 PM

BigToe
Category: Rapa Nui
"Henry"
acrylic on canvas
9 X 12"
in a hand refinished vintage frame

Henry was inspired by the Moai head that lives at the Forest Lawn Cemetery Art Museum in Glendale, California. As I understand it, the Moai head was sentimentally named Henry after he was discovered in the hold of an old cargo vessel, where he was being used as balast.
I have given him a more "happily ever after" with a pretty traditional dressed Rapa Nuian maiden.

SF

Here is my Rapa Nui piece for the show.
"Kava Kava Man"
Pencil and pastel on paper.

These figures originate from Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The name mo‘ai kavakava is formed from mo‘ai for the monumental monolithic human figures found on Easter Island and the word kavakava meaning ribs. Little is known about the cultural context of these figures although they are generally considered to be representations of starving ancestors or demons. It is believed these figures were worn hanging around the neck of the men who took part in the ritual dances during public ceremonies.

B

BigToe
Category: Freakshow
"Fiji Mermaid"
acrylic on canvas
16 X 20"
in a vintage frame.
#2 of 12 subjects for our "Kustom Tiki Kill Kill" art show.

I have always been intrigued by the Fiji Mermaids that would invariably be included in "cabinets of curiosity" and freakshows in podunk towns across the USA. The creepy critters conjured images of far off tropical places and mysteries unknown. What if the Fiji Mermaids had actually once been alluring little creatures, now rendered shriveled and ugly by the ravages of death and time.

Please contact Tony for price and availability: [email protected]

Our Second Offering for Kustom Lane Gallery's "Kustom Tiki! Kill! Kill! exhibition
i think you will agree that already these three Titans have stepped it up
and are going to provide a most enjoyable show Down Unda!

Category Two:Freakshow
"Conjoined Cannibal Kings"
acrylic on wood
12 x 18"

Seeing as Tiki is part of the title of this exhibition,
it was decided to revisit a favorite theme,
but with a freakish twist!
May i present the Conjoined Cannibal Kings,attached since birth?
ALIVE!

For studies and details go Here!
https://www.facebook.com/ken.ruzic/media_set?set=a.10208307184264525.1073741849.1451540979&type=3&pnref=story

Category: Freakshow
"Irritable Tentacle Syndrome"
12 X 18 in a vintage frame
This is the second of 12 pieces for the Kustom Tiki Kill Kill show.

After a long day under the big top, Baron Reginald Cephalopodus Von Itchy Britches
enjoys kicking back in the circus train's designated tiki bar car, "The Voodoo Shelter".
The bar is finely appointed in Witco style decor while the Baron
proposes a toast to all the Tiki Freaks!

The Art of Doug Horne
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DougHorneArt

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2016-05-11 07:39 ]

Category: Hawiian
"Beauty and the Beast"
14" X 25" overall, 10" X 20" artwork area
This is the third piece of 12 for the Kustom Tiki Kill Kill show.

B

Artist: BigToe
Category: Hawaiian
"Ku-Mehameha"
9 X 12"
For this study, I have combined the classic Ku temple figure with an image of the great unifying king of the Hawaiian Islands, King Kamehameha.

Great looking stuff by everyone! Wish I could be attend the showing; unfortunately I'm half a world away.

little lost tiki, I have to say I've been absolutely mesmerized by "the Appearance of Make-Make" for the last several days.
It's my favorite of all the pieces of yours I've ever seen. Stunning.

I think you will agree that we're gonna have some Beauties for all y'all Bosstralians!
Our Third Offering for Kustom Lane Gallery's "Kustom Tiki! Kill! Kill! exhibition
Bloodthirsty Vengeance in Victoria Ya Sods!!!
A Maniac Melee near Melbourne!!!!

Category Three:Hawaiian
"the Disastrous Visit"
acrylic on wood
16 x 20"

with a raw stunning frame by our very own MP (Mikel Parton)!

This painting accomplished a few goals...
To fling the Hawaiian Ku, Kane,and Kanaloa fellars from
TikiFarm's Kainoa Bowl into an uncomfortable heated situation.
To capture the warmth and glow of a slowly encroaching volcanic landscape,
the fire and heat peeping through the ground,that was another challenge this piece presented.
and lastly ,how to derive some light hearted humor amidst such tragedy?
That was accomplished by introducing them to the Cannibal King
as they pay a naive visit to an obviously hungry host!

https://www.facebook.com/ken.ruzic/media_set?set=a.10208307184264525.1073741849.1451540979&type=3&pnref=story

On 2016-05-11 22:00, bamalamalu wrote:
Great looking stuff by everyone! Wish I could be attend the showing; unfortunately I'm half a world away.
little lost tiki, I have to say I've been absolutely mesmerized by "the Appearance of Make-Make" for the last several days.
It's my favorite of all the pieces of yours I've ever seen. Stunning.

Thank you bamalamalu for the kind words and enjoying what we have poured our hearts and souls into.
This is a very special exhibition ,stemming from a chain of shows and to have the opportunity
to play down under is such a thrill!
We'll be sure and post plenty of pictures of all the hi-jinx and whatnots!
Oh! and the Opening Reception ,of course!

For this show i have always taken advantage of any opportunity to slip in one of the Old Masters
and had always wanted to create a study after Thomas hart Benton. All of the examination,careful choosing of the palette,to riff off of the original inspiration. Hopefully,some of the same serenity,curiosity,anticipation,and wonder of his work leaked into this one... One of the more
pleasurable experiences for this show was all of the research,studies and whatnots that led to
the creation of these works...If you haven't visited my FaceBook page,there are a lot of studies and details of the pieces shared on there (link above)
and a BIG MAHALO from all of us Titans
and come back often as we are MAD posting
on an ALMOST daily basis
to be sure and get all the pieces posted
before we leave on the 23rd!

http://www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook and now Instagram under #kenruzic
AW Jeah!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2016-05-11 22:48 ]

B

Next category up is AUSTRALIA CRYPTOZOOLOGY (the science of theoretical animals)
My offering is "The Bunyip"
16 X 20" in a refinished vintage frame.
Wikipedia defines the Bunyip thusly:
The bunyip is a large mythical creature from Australian Aboriginal mythology, said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes. The origin of the word bunyip has been traced to the Wemba-Wemba or Wergaia language of Aboriginal people of South-Eastern Australia.

I have based (borrowed liberally? plagiarized?) my study on an illustration from a historical account, a moss-backed version on http://www.cryptidwikia.com, and also a still shot from classic Universal monster movie Creature from the Black Lagoon.

and here's a detail shot:

Category Four: Australian Cryptozoology
"the Chance Encounter"
pyrography with acrylic tinting on wood
10 x 20"
Just as there is a Sasquatch and Skunk Ape residing in America,Australia has the Yowie, a name that is thought to have Aboriginal orgins... And just as our native Americans speak of the "Bear People",Terra Austral's first inhabitants also encountered a similar hominid. This piece captures that moment when you,the viewer,turn a corner in the brush and happen upon a CHANCE ENCOUNTER! I used woodburning to showcase another medium mastered over the past few years,and plus,the smell while working was evocative of campfires and nights under a canopy of trees...perfect Yowie sighting conditions....

Taking a small breather from our categories to allow Doug a few days to enjoy Tiki Caliente,
Today's offering will be FREE copies of our promo posters!
Simply Drag onto your Desktop and Print
TA DA! you get an instant KUSTOM TIKI KILL KILL! special Playbill swag posters!
Collect em all or just print out your favorite!
Great for Locker Rooms,Garages,Impromptu Dartboards
and covering up mysterious stains on walls!
Plaster Melbourne with em! Vandalism is legal over there,i heard!
Our selfless gift to you,Mates!

Category: Australian Cryptozoology
"The Elusive Majestic Wombalope of New South Wales"
Pencil and paint on paper
"10 X 12"

The gentle Wombalope with it's kind, beady eyes and breathtaking rack of tiny antlers has not been commonly sighted since it's discovery by Portugese sailors in the 18th century. Legend has it a band of drunken seamen happened upon a wise aboriginal medicine man who told them of a mystical creature with the power to cure all known venereal diseases. Wombalope semen is a well known panacea in Australia, so the sailors stumbled out into the area now known as New South Wales to seek the rotund little antlered rodent's life juice. All that was ever found of them were skeletons that featured caved in skulls, each fracture roughly matching the size of a kangaroo's hind foot, all had died it seems when they tried to siphon wombalope juice directly from the source. Being drunk and impatient they had mistaken kangaroos for the mythical creatures they sought and died from blunt force trauma after the kangaroos took umbrage with the sailor's attempts to stick their drunken heads inside their pouch's.

Traveling to Melbourne with art heroes Ken Ruzic and Tom Laura. The show opens May 27th at @KustomLaneGallery in Melbourne. ‪#‎BigToeArt‬ ‪#‎TikiArt‬ Contact Tony Peake for price and availability: [email protected]

The Art of Doug Horne

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2016-05-19 07:14 ]

Category Five: Monster Island
"Souvenir of the Black Lagoon
acrylic on wood with a Bamboo Ben frame
12.5 x13"

After retiring from his three movie journey,the Creature from the Black lagoon decided to return to the Amazon and live out the rest of his days in peace and relaxation.... Unfortunately,the Jivaro tribe had different plans for this beloved aquatic fellow.....

B

Ken, have you somehow disabled comments on this thread?

i like the quiet... it's peaceful...
If you're looking for LIKES
go back to Instagram and Facebook!

H

I am sure 700 or more people liked this thread already including myself. :)

Kustom Tiki Kill Kill!
Category: Monster Island
“A Canopic Cocktail for the Mummy”14” X 25”, Pencil and pastel on paper, frame by Roger Eric Brittan.
This is number 4 of 12 subjects for the show on May 27th in Melbourne.

In 1921, amid the dusty bustling backstreets of Cairo, a little known tiki bar welcomed thirsty travelers from the world over. “The Isle on the Nile”, most famous for it’s “Canopic Cocktail” would also occasionally host a guest peculiar to some but very familiar to the resident bartender. Legend has it Imhotep was resurrected only once from the dead, desperately seeking his lost love Ankh-es-en-amon, but locals knew the call of sweet rum libations from the south seas often tempted Imhotep from his tomb. So delighted was he by his favorite polynesian style watering hole, he dragged down a curtain on his way out one night only to return the following week having refreshed his 3,000 year old bandages with a spiffy tapa pattern. Unfortunately “The Isle on the Nile” fired Imhotep’s favorite bartender, a poor decision resulting in a rampage so lengendary it would be turned into a movie by Universal Pictures.

Contact Tony Peake for price and availability: [email protected]

The Art of Doug Horne

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2016-05-19 07:29 ]

Kustom Tiki Kill Kill!
Category: Maori
"Maori Head"
Pencil and pastel on paper, 11"X14", vintage frame.

Maoris, the original people of New Zealand, honour their ancestors. This mask would have been found on a Maori meeting house.

The mask looks very fierce - the mouth is open, with the tongue sticking out and the abalone eyes protruding. The expression is aggressive and looks like the grimaces that Maoris make during war dances.

The lines on this mask mirror Maori tattoos, which, traditionally they had on their faces to make them look fierce, and so scare off their enemies. Today some Maori people are reviving this tradition as they try to preserve their culture and identity.

The Art of Doug Horne

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2016-05-18 20:41 ]

#6 of 12 pieces for the show.
Category: Post-Apocalyptic theme
"Bio Hazard Drop Bear"
15" X12", Pencil on paper in a vintage frame.
In a Post-Apocalyptic world anything can happen! Even a
Koala bear driving a kustom red wagon with a big block V8 engine.
Survival of the fittest!

the flames on that piece are UNREAL,Douggles!

Category Six: Post-Apocalyptic Australia
"And then the Crows Came"
pyrography and acrylic tinting on wood
with a Mikel Parton (MP)
16 x 20"

"The soil,we had to get out.The water was filth.It was poison,it was sour.And then the crows came." This 30-second scene from "mad Max- Fury Road" left a lasting impression... It resembled a Pieter Bruegel (1525-1569) woodblock print come to life.... The stilted swamp walkers were evocative of his crippled beggars paintings... With this in mind,the Bruegel art books were taken from the studio shelf,examined,investigated,and after countless studies,finally rendered in pyrography,a style that would compliment his fascinating woodblock allegories and landscapes....

to see close-ups and studies for this piece
GO HERE!

If you would like to adopt this piece

Category: Tiki Temple
"Night at the Tiki Temple"
acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo Ben frame
20 x 20"

For this painting,it was determined that a bar scene would be in order,seeing as we all have our favorites... Last year's show took a more literal approach with an actual PNG men's hut,but for this exhibition,a bar scene packed with Hawaiian,Maori,Papa New Guinean,and Easter island denizens enjoy a rowdy night under the light of a pufferfish lamp. An intoxicated Ku decided to take a dip into a cocktail bowl inspired by the Kava kava bowls of Hawaii,and that is where the evening's madness takes a right turn...

GO HERE!

B

Playing catch up today.
Tiki Temple: "Kahiki", 10 X 12" in a custom frame.
Based on the former jewel of Columbus, Ohio, the Kahiki Supper Club.

B

Category: 'Post-Apocaplyptic' theme.
"Furiosa"
16 X 20", Acrylic on Canvas, in a refinished vintage frame.
My homage to the 2015 Mad Max heroine and the 'Gigahorse'.

B

Category: 'Maori' theme.
"Moa Rider"
16 X 20", Acrylic on Canvas, in a custom 'Bamboo Ben' frame.
The Moa was an enormous emu-like bird that roamed New Zealand in ancient times, but disappeared soon after the arrival of the Maori people.

B

Category: 'Monster Island' theme
"One 2 Go"
16 X 20", Acrylic on Canvas, in a custom 'Bamboo Ben' frame.

[ Edited by: BigToe 2016-05-20 14:34 ]

B

Category: 'Papua New Guinea' theme
"Fertility Fetish"
9 X 12", Acrylic on Canvas, in a wood frame.

Category: Papua New Guinea
"Along the Sepik River"
acrylic/paintpen on wood
frame by MP Michael Parton!
16 x 20"
This painting was an opportunity to Play with jungle lighting and a graphic solution to the transparency of water mostly..Creating a narrative that doesn't overpower the atmosphere..... It was a no question that those birds and crocs that have inhabited these PNG Tiki paintings for awhile would turn up,as well as some characters based on actual carvings from the countless cultures that reside along the island's infamous Sepik River.... The fellow on the right was inspired by a Malu-Sambun carved board located in the East Sepik area...

GO HERE!

Category: Tiki Temple
"Modern Maori Temple "
9" X 12", pencil on paper, vintage bamboo frame

Category: Papua New Guinea
"Hazel meets the New Guinea Man"
10" X 22", Bamboo frame by Roger Brittan (HB Tiki)
Pencil and pastel on paper.

B

#10 of 12 subjects for our ‪#‎KustomTikiKillKill‬ art show:
Category: 'Deadly Animals of Australia' theme
"Sentinels"
16 X 20", Acrylic on Canvas, in a custom frame by Bamboo Ben.

I chose the Bull Shark over the Tiger and White sharks that also frequent Aussie waters just because I had never painted one (i was the art director at Maui and Sons, so i have painted a few sharks!!). I also added the box jellyfish and a blue ringed octopus, both deadly in their own rights. The 4-eyed stone tiki is an old favorite that I photographed in Bora Bora in 1990.

Category: Deadly Animals of Australia
"the Surge"
pyrography with acrylic tinting on wood
16 x 20"
The Blue-Ringed Octopus is one of Australia's most beautiful and deadly creatures,despite it's size (5 to 8 inches)... They're fairly docile but a tetrodotoxin in their venom is powerful enough to kill a human.. When provoked,the brown patches on their skin darkens dramatically and iridescent blue rings pulsate... I have chosen woodburning as the medium for this creature, an homage to the the style of the woodblock prints of Japanese Masters Hokusai and Kuniyoshi...

GO HERE!

Kustom Tiki Kill Kill!
Category: Australian Deadly Animal
“A Venomous Shot" 15” X 18”, Pencil on paper, Bamboo frame by Roger Brittan aka HB Tiki

Beware any cocktail offered by the colorful blue ringed octopus. Usually docile in nature, when provoked he will spike your rum drink with his tasty but deadly neurotoxin.

Category: Marquesan
"the Warrior's Respose"
Acrylic on masonite
16 x 20"

Spending most of his "island" time in Tahiti,Gaugain spent the last few months of his life in the Marquesan islands.
This painting was an attempt to capture the Master's style, spirit and colors...

GO HERE!

B

Here are my last 2 humble offerings for our LOWDOWN LOWBROW THROWDOWN DOWN UNDA!

#11 of 12 is my Marquesan Theme:

"Visions of Gauguin", 16 X 20", Acyrlic on Canvas in a custom Bamboo Ben frame.

This was inspired by the acid-inpsired-looking tropical scenes of infamous scoundrel and post-impressionistic painter Paul Gauguin. The artist had started visiting French Polynesia in 1890 at the age of 42, then relocated there for good in 1995, having become disillusioned with the Paris art scene. His bold experimentation with color led directly to the Synthetist style of modern art (post-impressionistic style in which naturalistic form, the artists emotion towards the subject and an over arching primacy of the purity of the aestheic are combined), while his expression of the inherent meaning of the subjects in his paintings, under the influence of the cloisonnist style (see Ken Ruzic), paved the way to Primitivism (borrowing from native art traditions, a hallmark of Polynesian Pop), and the return to the pastoral (an idealisation of a life closer to nature). Gauguin spent the last years of his life in the marquesan islands, looking for a paradise lost.

In my painting, I have tried to convey the light i remember from my trips to the islands of French Polynesia, a place Gauguin had become disillusioned with, but to me felt like an unspoiled paradise. The volcanic mountains rise like vivid green spires, insanely bright against the impossibly blue sky. I have included Me'ae, a traditional Marquesan temple, a wooden tiki of a type that may have been placed at the Me'ae, and a beautiful Vahine, with traditional Marquesan tattoos.

And my last theme kids!!!!

"Such Is Life", my 'Famous Aussie' theme.
16 X 20" Acrylic on Canvas in a refinished vintage wood frame.

Inspired by the epic tale of the outlaw Ned Kelly.

(Paraphrased from wikipedia.com):
Edward "Ned" Kelly, born 1854, was an Australian bushranger of Irish descent. His family were a poor selector family who saw themselves as downtrodden by the Squattocracy and as victims of police persecution. Arrested in 1870, Kelly was convicted of stealing horses and imprisoned for three years. He fled to the bush in 1878 after being indicted for the attempted murder of a police officer at the Kelly family's home. After he, his brother Dan, and two associates fatally shot three policemen, the Government of Victoria proclaimed them outlaws.

During the remainder of "The Kelly Outbreak", Kelly and his associates committed armed bank robberies, and fatally shot a police informant. When Kelly's attempt to derail and ambush a police train failed, he and his gang, dressed in homemade suits of metal armour, engaged in a final violent confrontation with the Victoria Police at Glenrowan on 28 June 1880. All were killed except Kelly, who was severely wounded by police fire and captured. Despite significant support for his reprieve, Kelly was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death by hanging, which was carried out at the Old Melbourne Gaol. His final words are famously reported to have been "such is life".

There is a site dedicated to him if you would like to learn more: http://www.ironoutlaw.com/

[ Edited by: BigToe 2016-05-22 16:26 ]

Kustom Tiki Kill Kill!
Category: Marquesan
“Marquesan Head”8“ X 14”, Pencil on paper, Vintage frame

Kustom Tiki Kill Kill!
Category: Famous Australian
“Ned Kelly”6“ X 8”, Pencil on paper, Vintage frame
I chose Ned Kelly as my famous Australian. Below is his story, I decided to focus on the part of the story where Kelly wears his homemade suite of armour when confronting the police.

Ned Kelly is an Australian legend. He epitomised many qualities that ordinary Australians admire. He was a larrikin, loyal to his family and ready to sacrifice himself for his mates. An underdog, he represented the struggling classes and thumbed his nose at the establishment. He was inventive, he was fearless and charismatic.Ned was barely educated, yet his famous letters were poetic and passionate. He killed police officers, was outlawed and could be shot on sight by anyone. Yet when he was sentenced to hang, more than 30,000 people signed a petition asking for a reprieve.

We mustn't forget that there are many sides to the legend of Ned Kelly.

Yes, he was a criminal and had had numerous brushes with the law from a young age. But was he merely following his father and uncles' lead and a product of his environment? In the context of the times, he was a hero to Irish immigrants, who felt they were being persecuted by the establishment. It's claimed that most of the takings from his famous bank robberies went to help his supporters, so many say Ned was an Australian Robin Hood.

He was intensely protective of his family and avenged a police officer's assault on his sister - which is what really set off the troubles. Until the Fitzpatrick incident, Ned had been a petty criminal, involved in horse stealing and assisting at a few holdups on the highway.

However, after the Fitzpatrick incident, Ned and his brother Dan were wanted for attempted murder and went bush. Some claim Ned wasn't even there at the time of the incident, while others day Ned and his mother dressed Fitzpatrick's wound before he left.

While in hiding, Joe Byrne and Steve Hart joined Ned and Dan and the foursome became known as the Kelly Gang. They committed two large-scale bank robberies to support themselves and thus dug the hole deeper. A manhunt was mounted and Ned and his gang confronted a group of four policemen at Stringybark Creek with no intention of murder. In the fracas three policemen were shot dead and thus the price on Ned's head went even higher.

As part of the plans for Glenrowan, Aaron Sherritt was shot dead by his best friend Joe Byrne for being an informer (having begged him to join the gang the year before).

At Glenrowan the plan was to take a large number of people hostage and negotiate the release of Ned's mother Ellen and the two other men who were jailed in connection with the Fitzpatrick incident. Forty-six police arrived, surrounded the Glenrowan Inn, where the gang and hostages were holed up, and fired on the hotel for seven hours. During the siege Dan Kelly, Joe Byrne and Steve Hart died. Ned, wearing his trademark homemade armour, came toward the police, shooting, but was shot in the legs and captured.

Ned was held at Melbourne Gaol to recover from his injuries. He was tried in Beechworth Courthouse and in Melbourne by Judge Redmond Barry and sentenced to death by hanging, which occurred on 11 November 1880.

The Art of Doug Horne

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2016-05-22 17:32 ]

Category: Famous Australians
"the Midnight Ride of Daniel Morgan"
Acrylic on wooden thrift store plaque
19 x 10"
Daniel "Mad Dog" Morgan was a famous bushranger,described by one author as "moody,restless,and senselessly brutal". His confirmed criminal history began in 1854,with a record of a 12 year sentence of hard labor for highway robbery,and given a ticket of leave in June 1860 for "good behavior", he failed to report back and continued his law-breaking career,stealing a prized horse while working as a station hand,cross border stolen stock dealing,and several major episodes of robbery under arms,even tying up a police magistrate! It wasn't until June 1864 that his behavior escalated into murder with the shooting of overseer John McLean.Five days later,Sgt David Magginity died at the hand of Daniel Morgan...September of the same year led to the death of a Sergeant Smyth. Standing at 5'10" with dark hair worn in ringlets,hazel eyes,a full dark beard,and a hook nose that made him resemble some bloodthirsty bird of prey....
The first three months of 1865 ,he was credited with no less than six robberies of coaches and pastoral stations,almost killing a stock keeper during the rampage.Finally in April,fleeing into Victoria,he met his end at Peechelba Station,ambushed by 40 policemen and volunteers hidden in the bushes and was shot in his back, overpowered,and died shortly afterwards...
He remains today a symbol of that blood-soaked age and of the Australian spirit of rebellion against authority.

GO HERE!

S

Hey Kinny, your 'maori' piece is missing.

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 22, 2016 9:01 PM

Great work guys! I love how you've explored some Aussie folklore and heritage with your pieces. Hope the exhibition goes awesome :)

Thanks Hewey!
Wish we could see you...
I'd trade a Hewey for a swiz anyday!

last entry....done WAY before these slow-pokes...

Category Six: Maori
"the Midnight Libation"
acrylic on wood with a Mikel Parton frame(MP)
16 x 20"

Strange things happen at night! These two little fellahs may have a few regrets inviting this giant Hei-Tiki to their table....
GO HERE!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2016-05-23 09:03 ]

Congrats guys! Looks to be an amazing show!

Thanks zero!
We'll do our best to be appropriate ambassadors of the scene...
or not.... :)

and to put a period on this complete art display
Here are the remaining promo posters.....
Enjoy and we'll share some pics upon our return!
BONza VOYAGE!

S

On 2016-05-23 09:02, little lost tiki wrote:

I'd trade a Hewey for a swiz anyday!

Is that right? Guess my money will be going to someone else then.

Pages: 1 2 48 replies