Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis VII Room Crawl

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 299 replies

T

With close to 150 crawling and only handful of folks hosting, is anyone else thinking of making a tip jar available? I'm thrilled to be hosting again, but this can get expensive fast...

On 2007-08-14 21:41, TikiHula wrote:
With close to 150 crawling and only handful of folks hosting, is anyone else thinking of making a tip jar available? I'm thrilled to be hosting again, but this can get expensive fast...

On 2007-05-15 19:03, Shell in the Pacific wrote:

VampressRN wrote:

Hi there.....this will be my first Oasis, so of course I have a few questions about the room crawl.

Do crawlers usually bring a kudos gift to the hosts?

My response...

Aloha Vampiress,

I'm sure Hosts would appreciate donations or small gifts of appreciation/ tips, but that is entirely up to you/or them. Sometimes they make requests, such as bring a bag of ice, or something for mixing, like juice or booze.

I am so swamped at work (it's after 10PM and I am still here!) I doubt I will have much time to prepare for tiki oasis. I am not planning on getting enough ingredients to make 150 drinks. I will serve until what ingredients I have are gone. Hopefully I can find enough time to pick a time for the crawl.

M

Tiki Al and MzzTiki will crawl

On 2007-05-14 15:34, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
Just an update, Folks! Tiki Oasis is less than 1 week away!

Mahalos to all of you who have posted your desire to host and/or crawl!
At this point we have 11, possibly 12, Hosts who have indicated their wish to serve drinks in their hotel rooms at the Crowne Plaza.

They are:

1. WooHooWahine & Soccer Tiki (Serving Friday 3:00 - 4:30)
  2. PiPhiRho
  3. Croe67 & Skitiki (Serving on Friday 2:30 - 4:00)
  4. Cult of the Eye/ Dr. Shocker (Serving Sat. Afternoon 12:30 - 1:30)
  5. Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki (Serving on Friday 4:00 - 5:30)
  6. Tiki Hula & Blowfish (Serving Saturday from 2:30 to 3:30)
  7. Billybobaloo & Latiney Wahine (Serving Sat. 4:30 - 5:30)
  8. Sea Tiki
  9. Rum Shaker (Possibly Sat.)
    10.Wersmo Derinc (Purple Orchid's Dave & Rebecca) Serving Sat. 3:30 - 4:30
    11.Morbid Room (Serving Sat. 4:00 - 5:00 & After party 12:00 - 1:00)
    12.TikiTastic, Panda, Canada Kai Treasure TBD

Room Hosts, when you have chosen a time to serve drinks in your room, please post your name and time on this thread, or PM me and I will update the list. Thank you for your recent updates.

So far 136 people have indicated that they wish to crawl.

Dr. Shocker has been busy designing the Official Tiki Oasis 7 Crawl Card. He has posted that he will post a high res .pdf of the Crawl Card on Monday afternoon, that people can download and print themselves. I will update you with any new information on this thread.

I have dinner reservations for Thursday evening at the Bali Hai for 5:30. I will be handing out crawl cards at the bar at the Bali Hai between 4:30 - 5:30 and then again after dinner and during the show. See you there, or by the pool all day on Friday and at the shows on Friday and Saturday nights. Plus I will make an effort to visit each room that is hosting. See you there!

Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

Aloha, Tiki Oasis Room Hosts and Crawlers!

It's about that time, Folks. (Time to start thinking about the 2007 Tiki Oasis Room Crawl...that is.)

So who wants to be a Room Host? Who wants to crawl? Please respond to this thread if you would like to do either or both. Every year we have had a great response, and everyone has had lots of fun decorating their rooms, sampling drinks, and sharing thier hospitality and mixology skills!

As I have in the past, I will create a schedule of room hosts and the times they would like to serve drinks in their rooms. As usual, I will create and pass out the Crawl Cards and plastic sleeves on Thursday and Friday at the hotel.(Hopefully before I pass out.)

Anyone can e-mail me with any specific questions, of course. As soon as I get a few responses from interested Room Hosts, I will start posting the schedule. Room Hosts, start thinking about when you would like to open up your room to the crawlers, and let me know of your day and time.

I am looking forward to seeing all my old friends and meeting any newcomers! All are welcome!

Aloha & Mahalo,
[email protected]
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-07 13:11 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-08 13:00 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-10 14:52 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-11 15:07 ]

WoooHoooo! 2 More Days!!!

For any hosts that are starting to feel a little "stressed" about getting things organized and ready for the crawl, please know there are crawlers that can't host (for various reasons) but are ready to help out anyway they can. This can be simply helping gather ingredients, chipping in some cash, or helping decorate your crawl room. This is a FUN event and should never make anyone feel any pressure. Let us know if you need a hand!!!

Aloha,
Myke

C

On 2007-08-15 07:46, tikiwinebear wrote:
For any hosts that are starting to feel a little "stressed" about getting things organized and ready for the crawl, please know there are crawlers that can't host (for various reasons) but are ready to help out anyway they can. This can be simply helping gather ingredients, chipping in some cash, or helping decorate your crawl room. This is a FUN event and should never make anyone feel any pressure. Let us know if you need a hand!!!

Aloha,
Myke

Thanks, Myke! :)
SkiTiki & I are looking forward to seeing you again!!!

(this is us to refresh your memory of who we are from an '06 visit to the Bay area :) )

Weather for Tiki Oasis VII (San Diego, CA)
Today 8/15 Thurs Fri Sat Sun
Partly Cloudy Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny
Hi:79°/Lo:70° Hi:77°/Lo:69° Hi:79°/Lo:70° Hi:75°/Lo:67° Hi:73°/Lo: 66°

WoooooHoooooOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!

I will once again be serving my own concoction the...

CANNIBAL!

(this is the kava-less version, of course)

Serving Friday 4PM to 5PM (give or take). And, if there is any left, perhaps friday night after the shows. Room 1751.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2007-08-15 18:04 ]

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2007-08-17 15:04 ]

PiPhiRho I can't wait those are damn tasty......most of the Room Host will have a tip jar out for your your contribution......

Hosts I have your host cards I will be in Lounge 1803 Thursday afternoon and will pass em off to Shell at the Bali Hai

Aloha Fellow Crawlers and Room Hosts!

There is only one more day untill Oasis!

I hope you have had a chance to download/print your Crawl Card. Dr. Shocker of the Cult of the Eye Lounge 1803 has designed and posted a really groovy Official Crawl Card for the 3rd Annual Tiki Central Room Crawl at Tiki Oais 2007!

Crawlers,
Please go to the bottom of page 15 of this thread to print your card. The card is business card size when it is folded in half. One side contains your checklist of Room Hosts and the other side can serve as a name badge for you.

As I promised, I will be handing out crawl Cards at the Bali Hai on Thursday night and at the hotel/pool all day on Friday. I will also be supplying crawlers with lanyard string and plastic sleeves that can protect your card, while supplies last.

Room Hosts, Dr. Shocker has printed you out special badges that identify you as Room Hosts. As he has posted, he will be handing them out in the Cult of the Eye Lounge 1803 on Thursday afternoon, or you can pick one up from me when you see me at the Bali Hai that evening, or on Friday by the pool.

The most updated Room Crawl Schedule/ Serving times are posted on the first post on this thread, page one. Check there for the latest additions and two write ins: Zog and Flat Earth Trading Company.

I posted my picture below for those of you who do not know what I look like.

Can't wait to see you at at Oasis 2007!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-15 11:48 ]

Please add me (Kal, aka loungelizard) and my GF Lisa to the room crawl list. Tnx!

MT

On 2007-08-15 11:30, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
I posted my picture below for those of you who do not know what I look like.

Here's another

Shell, I was looking for one of you in your fancy pirate costume, but that's the best I could come up with on short notice. See you at Oasis!!!

MT

Oh hey, since other folks are posting about mugs and stuff that they're going have available during the crawl, I was thinking about selling one of these:

A Forbidden Island Limited Edition Fugu Mug. I was thinking about maybe raffling it off, if there was enough interest. Any comments?

I was also thinking about selling one of Nacho's Severed Head Tribute Mugs:

And also Nacho's Forbidden Island Roberto Loco mugs:

I hate the thought of selling or raffling off these items, but I'm pretty damn broke right now, and this would help a lot. If you're interested, let me know. I just might bring a couple more cool items as well.

I

Oh crap! Tiki Oasis starts tomorrow! So much to do!

C

We're hosting & in Room (Suite) 1749.

HOSTING FRIDAY 2:30 - 4:00 PM

Come try my original drink recipe - though I'm not telling what it is - you gotta come by to try it out :wink:
But I do promise it will be GREAT :) :)

B

Hey now,

Will be arriving Fri morning, please add 4 more for the crawl list.
Shelly, will look for you to pick up card holder
Cant wait for what looks like a much more sunny poolside Oasis this year!!

B

I'm starting to get very thirsty!!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding!!! My mouth is like a desert. I took my Mom and an old school chum to Anthony's Fish Grotto on the Bay yesterday. We sucked down 3 Mango Margaritas each....OK OK.....I had 4. They were very light but tastey. :drink:

I

The Cult Of The Eye has landed.
See you all at The Lounge In Room 1803!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2007-08-16 16:15 ]

3:30pm - 5:00pm Friday in room 1532 (5th floor with the giant pirate flag hanging from the balcony) we will be serving 10 gallons of Chief Lapu Lapu, shots of my Apple Pie rum and snacks!!!

Come on by...

Miss Marlow and JoDavid will be in attendance.

P

A lot of these are overlapping or at the same time.

Oh well. That was inevitable, I guess.

The CANNIBAL will be serving Friday at 4-ish. I'll open after I get a Cheeky Pink Monkey from Nelvah.

Look for this picture...

Friday 4 to 5 Room 1751

The crawl has begun, it started with a bang with WooHoo Wahine & SoccerTiki. If you want to see "Almost Real Time" pics of Tiki Oasis 7, go to http://www.tikiblog.com to see what's happening. Just click on the Tiki Oasis 7 Pics link at the top right corner of the main page.

Now, we're off to room 1532 to continue the crawl ourselves!

Mahalo, Mahalo, Mahalo to Shell of The Pacific and all The Room Crawl Hosts/Hostesses for all the Time,$$$,and effort they put into hosting their Room Parties. I know everyone who Crawled had a Tiki-rrific Time. Unfortunately SoccerTiki and I weren't told until after the Room Decorating Award was given out that we had been Scratched from the Contest because we had won last year and that we couldn't win 2 years in a row???? We hope everyone enjoyed our Room Party and SoccerTiki's Tonga Punch. I know Derek Yaniger gave our room Two Thumbs Up!!! WOOOHOOOOO! :)

Welcome to Room 1128

MaiTai's mug was full the entire weekend. Believe it or Not??

Dr.Vital Tiki, RugbyMatt, Shell of The Pacific, & Jeremy

Mrs. Tiki Madness

Crazy Al always posing for a picture

Hinano_Paul shows off his new threads

Tiki-Tina & BambooBoyd

The TikiBlog's taking a break

Debba Debba & Paul of Muntiki

Daves Not Home, SoocerTiki, & Muntiki ejoying their drinks

SoccerTiki & Debba Debba at the Scene of the Crime. Thanks Tiki-Ray :wink:

Tsunami Shanna & TikiTatt

Grog

Derek Yaniger and The President of his Fan Club

SoccerTiki & MakeDaMug

Can you say WOOOOHOOOOO?

Kicking Back on the patio

SoccerTiki & Derek

Derek signing my Masterpieces :wink:

Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki

TWO

On behalf of my fellow Drunken Monkeys I would like to thank everybody that attended Tiki Oasis 7. It was our first and surpassed every expectation. All of you that hosted..."Thank You" doesn't begin to cover it. We could not get over how friendly everyone was and the effort you put into making sure strangers enjoyed themselves. Cult of the Eye set the bar pretty high for any of us planning on hosting next year (really guys... live bands and a friggin' menu of drinks to choose from?????) Over the top.

We met some great people this weekend (host,crawlers, and guest). So, as feeble as it sounds, Thank You.

Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki

PiPhiRho mixing his drinks

The Party Train Line

MakeDaMug's Sparkletts Machine Party

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-08-20 13:28 ]

N
Netty posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2007 3:21 PM

Netiki, Lare and Brett would also like to thank everyone that hosted a room and to Shell in the Pacific for once again hosting the room crawl. Tiki Oasis wouldn't be the same without the room crawl. It is such a great time meeting everyone every year and tasting all the great libations!

Mahalo!!

S

Well, as this was my first Tiki Oasis, I must say I was blown away. Props to all of the planners, organizers, room hosts and AWESOME people!!!!

Thanks, too, to Shell in the Pacific, Jeremy, and all the folks who helped make Princess Pupule's Lounge so much fun and such a success. It was a real honor to win the Best Dressed Room Award...MAHALO! (And we had a tough act to follow from what I heard about last year!!)

We look forward to seeing you all in the Princess' Lounge next year and hope to make it a Tiki Oasis tradition!

Oh, and thanks to the KING for stopping by our room...ALOHA from the Rendez'Vous!

On 2007-08-20 15:29, skitiki wrote:
Thanks, too, to Shell in the Pacific, Jeremy, and all the folks who helped make Princess Pupule's Lounge so much fun and such a success. It was a real honor to win the Best Dressed Room Award...MAHALO! (And we had a tough act to follow from what I heard about last year!!)

Congratulations on the Award! Wanna trade last year's Fontana dog show trophy for the one you received this year??? LOL!!! Do you have pictures of your room to post? Haven't seen any.... Mahaloz!

S

[ Edited by: skitiki 2007-08-21 09:10 ]

On 2007-08-16 15:56, IKABOD wrote:
The Cult Of The Eye has landed.
See you all at The Lounge In Room 1803!

WooooHooooo! You're Suite was INCREDIBLE. Mucho Mahalo!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Kiniki 2011-08-27 17:29 ]

Wow!
Princess Pupule's Lounge looked great! The way they arranged the decorations almost seemed to defy gravity! it was like the Mystery house! :)

Thanks to everyone who swung by the "Morbid Room" to hang out and consume some Pomegranate Pygmies!

Here are some pics my wife, Ilene, took:

Dibroc (John Corbid) hanging out behind the great bar he brought for us to use.

Tiki Al and Me.

Devilettes.

Me and Otto.

Some pretty wahines.

Dibroc and Tiki Trav.

Liz trying to find a nice cool place to relax.

I think this was the dreaded moment I ran out of limes and lime juice. The only thing I underestimated. Thanks to everyone who donated limes to the cause, especially PiPhiRho and his three bags!

I had a great time! By the way, this is only my second Oasis and last year I didn't even crawl. It sounded like fun, though, so John and I decided to give it a shot.

For all of you who who have thought about crawling or hosting a room...do it next year! It's a blast and everyone helps out. Mahalos to everyone for a great weekend!!!

On 2007-08-20 18:53, skitiki wrote:
Photos of Princess Pupule's Lounge!

Party City overload

S

Well, gee, I thought that Oasis and the Room Crawl were about having fun and creating lots of positive energy. I just have to tell you guys that the negativity and attacks related to this room award thing are really not in that spirit.

Seriously, it's a decorated hotel room at an event that is meant to be fun and light hearted and I'm definitely getting a strong negative (read sour grapes) vibe here that Princess P and I got the room award.

What's up with that? It doesn't really seem to be in the spirit of what I thought Tiki was about...and it's a bummer to have something that was such a positive experience for me tainted by a few folks who feel the need to make snide comments about our decorations.

The truth is that Shell did an amazing job organizing it, all of the rooms were great, all of the drinks were yummy (and free) and a good time was had by all. Does it really matter who gets an award? I guess to some people that's more important than the experience, but for me it's not.

So, say what you like about our room decorations, and take comfort in the fact that Princess P and I decided on Saturday night that if we host a room for the Crawl in the future, we will be taking ourselves out of the room decoration competition because, for us, it's about the fun and we both have enough stress and competition to deal with in our "real" lives.

On 2007-08-21 09:09, skitiki wrote:

negativity and attacks..... strong negative (read sour grapes) vibe....
..... bummer ......tainted ......snide comments...

Only one person said "party city overload". Every one else was positive. I think you're being a little too sensitive.

Next Year Let's have a Room TRASHING contest!
That would be more in the spirit of the Crawl!
Everyone can walk around with crowbars and lighters and scissors and just wander from room to room tearing up the place!
Now THAT would be real fun!
:)

T

Please enjoy your award - all the rooms were great but there can only be one winner and you are the deserving one this year!

Oasis VIII is already in the works and awards have a way of being shared with all over the years.

Congrats on the great room AND!!! the yummy drinks.

Tiki Bob

[ Edited by: tikibob 2007-08-21 10:17 ]

CA

great to see all!! well maybe half.. alright a 10th... crap'0! i still missed just about every room and the band wasn't even there this year.... next year... no band no vending?? more fun!! thanks for the hospitality once again!! see you on the dance floor......

On 2007-08-21 09:31, little lost tiki wrote:
Next Year Let's have a Room TRASHING contest!
That would be more in the spirit of the Crawl!
Everyone can walk around with crowbars and lighters and scissors and just wander from room to room tearing up the place!
Now THAT would be real fun!

Oh, MAN!!! I wish that didn't sound so fun !!!!

C

"Everyone can walk around with crowbars and lighters and scissors and just wander from room to room tearing up the place!"

What, we WEREN'T supposed to do this?

T

On 2007-08-21 10:46, crazy al wrote:
great to see all!! well maybe half.. alright a 10th... crap'0! i still missed just about every room and the band wasn't even there this year.... next year... no band no vending?? more fun!! thanks for the hospitality once again!! see you on the dance floor......

Well, my vote would be for: Ape! new songs, new album.

What? like you don't have any spare time on your hands?

:wink:

I would have decorated, but I didn't know where I was sleeping night to night.
Thanks to Ran(kick the reverb)for the hospitality 2 nights and Cheeky Girl 1 night. I had a couch cussion in the bed of my truck if needed. but thankfully was not used.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MT

On 2007-08-21 09:09, skitiki wrote:
Well, gee, I thought that Oasis and the Room Crawl were about having fun and creating lots of positive energy. I just have to tell you guys that the negativity and attacks related to this room award thing are really not in that spirit.

Seriously, it's a decorated hotel room at an event that is meant to be fun and light hearted and I'm definitely getting a strong negative (read sour grapes) vibe here that Princess P and I got the room award.

What's up with that? It doesn't really seem to be in the spirit of what I thought Tiki was about...and it's a bummer to have something that was such a positive experience for me tainted by a few folks who feel the need to make snide comments about our decorations.

The truth is that Shell did an amazing job organizing it, all of the rooms were great, all of the drinks were yummy (and free) and a good time was had by all. Does it really matter who gets an award? I guess to some people that's more important than the experience, but for me it's not.

So, say what you like about our room decorations, and take comfort in the fact that Princess P and I decided on Saturday night that if we host a room for the Crawl in the future, we will be taking ourselves out of the room decoration competition because, for us, it's about the fun and we both have enough stress and competition to deal with in our "real" lives.

Hey, it wasn't just the decorations that helped you clinch first place. It was that dead lady corpse out on your deck that helped seal the deal! I mean, who's gonna be able to compete against that?

And personally, I would like to see you re-enter the room decoration contest again next year. And if you keep that corpse lady on ice for a year, then she would be a perfect tie-in to next year's theme of Voodoo Zombie!!!

But c'mon, the real reason you won? Because you guys ROCK!!! That's why. 'Nuff said. :D Congratulations to you both!!!

Ran took the high Road, I was gonna say it looked like Party City threw up in there.

whatever floats your cookie I guess.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-08-21 08:23, kick_the_reverb wrote:

On 2007-08-20 18:53, skitiki wrote:
Photos of Princess Pupule's Lounge!

Party City overload

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-08-23 18:40 ]

S
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.