Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis VII Room Crawl

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 299 replies

I

That then means that the eisle in the lobby is out? This cracks me up about the Hotel industry. They will probably get slammed the first night, and when things die down on the crawl get slammed again by TO drunks. Just another example of the suits not getting it.

C

MMan is correct. The vague spectre of the hotel closing down the room parties is a very real one. There's nothing that can be done about it, though; the whole point of Otto renting out the hotel exclusively for the Oasis is so they CAN'T in fact do exactly that.

Hey, can somebody please tell me in plain language what exactly Shelly is planning to give out to people?

Why do we have to 'chase her'? Can we just meet her at the bar at noon? Or at the pool? This is a really big hotel, an ounce of organization is worth two hours of flatfooting the grounds. My feet hurt already.

And what are the plastic-coated cards all about? Will they describe where the parties are, and when, which is all we really want to know?

I just don't get it.

Is this a big secret? Are the Eyeball guys involved? (they're involved in everything) Are you Eyeball guys inventing some kind of nuclear powered red-eyed perpetual drink dispensor? Or something even more nefarious?

On 2007-05-25 11:45, Cammo wrote:
Hey, can somebody please tell me in plain language what exactly Shelly is planning to give out to people?

Why do we have to 'chase her'? Can we just meet her at the bar at noon? Or at the pool? This is a really big hotel, an ounce of organization is worth two hours of flatfooting the grounds. My feet hurt already.

Is this a big secret? Are the Eyeball guys involved? (they're involved in everything) Are you Eyeball guys inventing some kind of nuclear powered red-eyed perpetual drink dispensor? Or something even more nefarious?

Mmmm...perpetual drink dispenser. Can mine be full of vodka?

Good point though, Cam. It seems kind of uncool to make folks chase down Shelley. One meeting time and place would be good for the people who simply want to get their drink cards or whatever and continue on with their fun and their awesome, scavenger hunt-like quest for the locations of the rooms where drinks are being served.

C

The chase down has always worked very well in the past - really. Shelly seems to always be everywhere, so really not hard.......

Here's the '05 card, which I found in the Room Crawl '05 thread - if you'd like to read some history on the room crawl, that thread is the one to read.

& Shelly is so gracious to provide a limited number of plastic pouches that hold the card around your neck, which handily identifies you as a crawler & keeps you from losing your souvenir card :)

Yep. I remember the 2005 crawl. I never did see Shelley that year. Apparently, I wasn't looking in any of the right places. After playing the Where's Shelley game for quite some time, I gave up.

But that's just me. Oh well.

I did make it to TikiMatt's room because the Tropics was such a small place. He made something called Monkey Piss, and it was fabulous. He's a great guy, and I've had the pleasure of buying many a mug from him. Looking back at that list, I really wish I'd gotten the chance to meet some of the other room hosts.

Again, just didn't know where on Earth to find Shelley.

No big deal. If it works for everyone else, I don't want to makes waves.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 25, 2007 3:06 PM

So the room crawl cards just have the host names on them and no other information? How do we find the times and places? Huh? Sounds like a lot of work. I'd rather be floating in the pool.

What is the purpose of these cards? Do you have to have a card to crawl? Why? Is there a limited amount of crawlers?

I read the earlier threads, and still don't get it.

And what's up with those Eyeball guys? Everybody hushes up when they're mentioned. It's mysterious.

Am I asking too many questions or not enough?

C

A meet-up might not be a bad way to kick it off - Which maybe could be at the first room on the crawl, which crawlers could be notified of before Oasis starts?? Just a thought - might not work..........

The challenge is that people arrive at different times & days - scheduling a time to meet-up that meets most people's schedules, I would guess, would be pretty tough. I am guessing that rooms will start hosting Thursday night (??), as usual.

If you don't know Shell (I didn't know her when I was looking for her at Oasis V), my advice would be to ask around - that worked very well for us, though that was at the Caliente Tropics.....

It's all in the spirit of FUN - just like mug hunting - finding the rooms & hosts by word of mouth is fun - and you meet more people that way, too :)

Whatever Shell will do will be great, as she's the real experienced one at all of this.
:)

H

On 2007-05-25 15:06, Cammo wrote:
I read the earlier threads, and still don't get it.

You might have missed this one.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14339&forum=17

Shell of The Pacific Has Been and Is In Charge of the Room Crawl. SoccerTiki and I have participated in this event for the past two years both as Crawlers and Room Hosts. Shell has always gone out of her way to make sure everything is perfect for the crawl. In the past two years I have not heard one negative thing said by anyone. Everyone just needs to be patient and wait for instructions. Trust me it will be Tiki-rrific!! Like the Old Saying goes: Too many fingers spoil the stew. I think Shell deserves a TC round of applause for taking the time to plan this fun event for everyone.

So who else is up for being Room Hosts???

On 2007-05-24 16:53, Shell in the Pacific wrote:

Anyone's ideas for making the room crawl run smoothly are encouraged and welcome. If you would like to contribute by creating something to share with others, that is encouraged as well. Feel free to post your ideas and intentions on this thread. Thank you everyone for your support!

On 2007-05-25 16:15, WooHooWahine wrote:
Everyone just needs to be patient and wait for instructions. Like the Old Saying goes: Too many fingers spoil the stew.

So are ideas encouraged and welcome or not? I'm confused again.

All I know is I'm looking forward to finding Shelley when I get there and see what she has up her sleeves!!! Last year's tiki pendant was very cool! Anything I can do to help Shelly, just let me know!

And if you host it THEY will come (or they go thirsty!!!)

WoooHooooOOOoooooo!!!!

84 days till Oasis!!!!!

C

On 2007-05-25 16:15, WooHooWahine wrote:
Shell of The Pacific Has Been and Is In Charge of the Room Crawl. SoccerTiki and I have participated in this event for the past two years both as Crawlers and Room Hosts. Shell has always gone out of her way to make sure everything is perfect for the crawl. In the past two years I have not heard one negative thing said by anyone. Everyone just needs to be patient and wait for instructions. Trust me it will be Tiki-rrific!! Like the Old Saying goes: Too many fingers spoil the stew. I think Shell deserves a TC round of applause for taking the time to plan this fun event for everyone.

So who else is up for being Room Hosts???

Hear, Hear

I'm sure she'll take everyone's thoughts into account - just trust in the Shell to do a GREAT job :wink:

&, yep, we're hosting, too :D

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 25, 2007 5:21 PM

At the past thread mentioned above,

"get yourself an official drink card, visit the predesignated rooms at predesignated posted ‘serving hours’" etc. etc.

But the Room Crawl card does not have rooms or times written on it.

Is it like a contest to find this stuff out? Is that the point? Is that the fun part? Are we supposed to track down every single room host and ask them, or just chase the fleet-footed Shelly down, tackle her and ask her politely where the parties are?

And - at the above mentioned thread, you could download the card and print it out yourself. Did this actually happen? Is it the plan for this year too?

I think people want to know what's going on.

But hey, please sign me up for one of those crawl cards. Mucho Gracias.

On 2007-05-25 17:21, Cammo wrote:
At the past thread mentioned above,

"get yourself an official drink card, visit the predesignated rooms at predesignated posted ‘serving hours’" etc. etc.

But the Room Crawl card does not have rooms or times written on it.

Is it like a contest to find this stuff out? Is that the point? Is that the fun part? Are we supposed to track down every single room host and ask them, or just chase the fleet-footed Shelly down, tackle her and ask her politely where the parties are?

And - at the above mentioned thread, you could download the card and print it out yourself. Did this actually happen? Is it the plan for this year too?

I think people want to know what's going on.

But hey, please sign me up for one of those crawl cards. Mucho Gracias.

Cammo ~ All the people who are Hosting Room Parties and the Day and Times they will be pouring will be posted on this Thread way before Oasis. Everyone Decks their rooms out and most Hosts will have a sign posted on their door/window stating when their room will be open. You wear your card on a lanyard around your neck and each room will mark it off as you receive your drink. Check out http://www.tikiblog.com for pics from last year. You won't believe how many people participate in this Crawl thisyear

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-05-25 17:57 ]

ROOM CRAWL

Truth be told, I’m little apprehensive about the Crawl being open to the masses. The crawl has traditionally been a TC event so that fellow TC could mingle and meet other Tcer that hadn’t met before. I’m with keeping a bit more covert and on the QT as I don’t relish the thought of a huge contingent of strangers looking for a freebie. Even at a small motel like the Tropics, someone lifted a mug from my room. I’m all for meeting new people not, not just 40 at a time.....

So now that I’ve had a little time to digest some of the suggestions on this thread...I’m not too keen about any kind of billboard being made open to the general public. I do agree that this is going to take a little elbow grease, organization and communication.

I do like the suggestion of a Shell being at a couple of KEY PLACES and KEY TIMES to distribute the Cards.

DRINK CARDS

As far as the crawl cards, I have found them to be help, because they served as guide as to who was hosting. Hosts also received a special badge that identifing them as hosts. If memory serves, you could also write down on your Host Badge when you were serving.

The general ideal of the crawl card was a “NO CARD -- NO DRINK" policy. I believe this was a way to weed out the “frat boys” and “bachelor party dudes”, or those that viewed the crawl as an unlimited free fill-up.

Cammo, at prior crawls, we would print up the cards ourselves on a piece of cardstock and Shell would also provide cards for those who didn’t have printers. At the Tropics it was much easier, as it was a small motel, the motel issued room # prior to the event, and Host would post on the thread prior to the event when they were hosting. So we basically were armed before hand with 75% of the information up front. I for one, hit all but 2 of the crawl hosts!

As I mentioned earlier, last year was the testing ground at the Hanalai, the crawl didn't run as smoothly as it has at the Tropics, but now we know what we are up against, so this thread is a good way to discuss, suggest, and work out the kinks. I for one, say keep the suggestions flowing...

On that note:

BEST DRESSED ROOM

I don’t think the “Best Dressed” room should be included in the crawl. Not all Crawl Hosts may be decorating their rooms and people decorating their rooms may not be involved in the Crawl. So just my 2 cents, if someone is participating in the Best Dressed room, that could be a separate thread, separate event.

I suggest a “walking tour” of people participating in the Best Dressed Room, with a couple of specific blocks of times when people could view rooms. Just an idea.....

Mahalo!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 25, 2007 8:27 PM

I get it now! Finally! The card BUYS YOU FREE DRINKS!

Why didn't you just say that in the first place?!

Holy Cow, that Shelly must be one popular woman while she has those cards in her hands!

Aloha Folks!

Thank you for your support and enthusiasm.

1. Otto is only officially sponsoring the Room Crawl by donating prizes. The room crawl will not be mentioned/ promoted in any of his literature or e-mails.

2. The only way to find out about the room crawl is on this TC thread. Non TC people will not know about the room crawl unless they are tipped off by TC people.

3. Bottom line, Room Hosts will only serve as many drinks as they wish, to whom they wish (card or no card). Remember it is their party, their room, their decision.

4. The Crawl Card is like your free ticket to participate in the room crawl. Last year I handed out at least 100 cards. In the past I was able to post the card design on TC for crawlers to print out before attending the event, but some people had technical difficulty with the printing. So, I bring a bunch of cards equal to the number of people that post indicating that they wish to crawl. This year the card may be a little larger or more elaborate. Dr. Shocker has offered to help me design it and he has more experience than me. I am not sure how it will turn out, or if we will be able to post the card on this thread as I have done in the past. Keep monitoring this thread for more information.

5. As soon as Room Hosts choose the days and times they wish to serve drinks, I will post that information on this thread. Keep checking the thread up until you arrive at the hotel for the latest information on dates and times. This thread is your official link to information about dates and times.

6. I plan to be at Tiki Oasis from Thursday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. I will be at the Bali Hai for dinner and the show/music on Thursday evening from about 5:00 on. I see it as my responsibility to distribute the crawl cards to everyone I see that has expressed an interest in the crawl.

7. Setting up a time for you to come to meet me is an excellent idea. As the event gets closer I will choose a few places and times to meet with you. That information will be posted on this thread as the event nears.

8. I agree that the easel in the lobby is not a good idea. Too public.

9. Best dressed room will be awarded to the best dressed room, whether the room occupants are Room Hosts or not. Otto started that tradition last year, with the trophy. Woo Hoo, you can keep the trophy, you earned it for all time.

10. In the past I have printed up name badges for the Room Hosts to wear, identifying themselves as Room Hosts. Look for people wearing these badges. A few room hosts have handed out small cards that they designed themselves indicating their room number, day and time they will be pouring drinks. Other Room Hosts have posted signs on their doors indicating when they will be serving. Room Hosts want to get the word out that they are serving drinks. Nobody wants to go to the trouble of purchasing lots of ingredients, turning their room into a bar, and then have no one show up for their party.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please post them on this thread, or PM me or e-mail me at [email protected].

Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

Here! Here! Shell! I think you clarified it concisely!!! Anyone not understanding what you've said doesn't need any libations to increase their level of air-headedness!!!

D

Add Paula and I to the crawl list. Not sure if we are staying so will update on hosting as we get closer to the event. If we do not host we would like to "adopt" a room to help out with some "provisions".

I will be at Tiki Oasis, but wasn't planning on being a Host. If anyone is considering Hosting but needed some additional help, I would love to assist. Please PM me and we can talk.

Aloha,
Myke

I

Cult of the Eye? Well uh.... I think I've said to much already.

hi.....id love to get in on the crawl.....as the name goes...im a closettiki follower.....it will be my first oasis but im looking foward to it...sounds like a great way to meet new tiki people....and have some fun......yeah i dig tikis........besides having fun and not have to worry about driving .....cool.

count me in plus 1. my wife has been yelling at me to get off the the floor but i want to make sure im ready for the crawl. it will be my 1st time but if its anything like the tonga art shows its sure to be a blast with lots of fun people.

Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut and I will be crawling. Can't wait to taste the unique concoctions people dream up. Still have the army dudes hanging in our home tiki bar from last year. That drink was potent!

Oh boy, I havn't seen so much ado about nothing in a long time. If you need everything spoon-fed to you, including how to fold a piece of paper, you should look for a room serving non alchoholic drinks.

Ran

P.S. yes The Keelhauled I made last year was potent, and if I have the time/money to share them again with friends (probably not), you can bet that you'll have to work a little hard to find out about it.

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2007-06-01 11:51 ]

Tiki Central before an Oasis Room Crawl is like Churches at Christmas time... and Easter....

Or for a non religious reference its also like your local Gym on January 2nd.

On 2007-06-01 12:02, Monkeyman wrote:
Tiki Central before an Oasis Room Crawl is like Churches at Christmas time... and Easter....

now thats some pretty funny shit MM

I do agree

Ran a non-alcoholic room drink now thats just cruel......but could be funny

On 2007-06-01 12:02, Monkeyman wrote:

Everyone likes a good room crawl!!! Whatever it takes to get them out of the closet!(or lurker status)

Just like religion....A little room crawl goes a helluva long way!!!

Thanks Shelley for doing such a great job of organizing the Room Crawl...I'll donate some $$ towards supplies and your effort, much appreciated. This will be my first Oasis, so I'm looking forward to sipping from room to room with other crawlers. :)

Like VampiressRN this is our first so we would like to crawl and meet everyone we can, Wendy and Dan

MA

Aloha!!! Please add two to the room crawl. My wife and I will be attending for the first time. Thanks.

T

Blowfish and I will be crawling as well as hosting!

CL

Yahoooo!!! Look forward to seeing you guys! :)

CL

quote]
On 2007-06-03 09:50, TikiHula wrote:
Blowfish and I will be crawling as well as hosting!

The Mr and I would like to Crawl this year. I'll keep him light on the cocktails this year. So he won't hit on any of you wahines.

(Cept Mrs TikiTat. Achtung, frauline!-The Mr)

My girlfriends and I are getting together to concoct a new drink for the room crawl.
We've got an idea of what we'd like it to taste and look like.
So, at the Room Crawl we will be unveiling the:

"Cheeky Pink Monkey"

Mahalos to all of you who have posted your desire to host and/or crawl!
At this point we have 8 Hosts who have indicated their wish to serve drinks in their hotel rooms.
They are:

1. WooHooWahine & Soccer Tiki
  2. PiPhiRho
  3. Croe67 (Serving on Friday 3:00)
  4. Cult of the Eye/ Dr. Shocker (Serving during After Party Sat. Night)
  5. Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki (Serving on Friday 4:00 - 5:30)
  6. Coco Loco & Mai Tai
  7. Tiki Hula & Blowfish
  8. Billybobaloo & Grace

So far 56 people have indicated that they wish to crawl.
Please continue to monitor this thread for the latest breaking news, most up to date and accuate information!
Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

Aloha!
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-06-06 15:55 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-06-06 15:59 ]

We were thinking about serving on before the Friday show: 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm

On 2007-06-05 14:51, CheekyGirl wrote:
My girlfriends and I are getting together to concoct a new drink for the room crawl.
We've got an idea of what we'd like it to taste and look like.
So, at the Room Crawl we will be unveiling the:

"Cheeky Pink Monkey"

Love the name....looking forward to sipping on this one. :)

Hey Shell, Grace and I plan on hosting this year as well as we discussed elsewhere. It's our first year and I figure it's a good way to meet and greet. We'll be serving Polynesian Painkillers.....we just need to set up our time as the event draws near........we alsom plan on crawling!

H

On 2007-06-05 14:51, CheekyGirl wrote:
... at the Room Crawl we will be unveiling the:

"Cheeky Pink Monkey"

Wow! That name is very similar to the name of a drink I've been concocting. It's named the:

"Pink Sock Monkey".

Hakalugi: Great minds think alike!

The name is actually a toss up between the "Cheeky Pink Monkey" and "Monkey Cheeks", I'm torn....

As far as the time for the crawl...we figured we'd get people nice and lubed right before the show on Friday...I'm sure the whole weekend will spawn spontaneous room parties.

Hi guys I am WAAAAYYYYYY late on this, though is there anybody going who needs (wants) to share a room to this. Never been to TO and just decided at thelast minute to attempt to make it, but rooms, as I'm sure you know, are more rare than a $1.00 Shag original! Let me know!
Thanks
Freakstick Sancho

I like the "Cheeky Pink Monkey" best..the word pink provides a virtual prompt. :drink:

oh i think our Room Crawl time will be during the day....we are having other activities at other times.....I will let you know when we get closer

Grace and I will be staying at the hotel beginning on Thursday nigh.......Kinda silly since we already live in San Diego, but we don't want to miss out on any drinking.......er, I mean fun. Anyone getting in on Thursday as well?

If there are 53 people crawling so far, then I think I'll be bringing the punch bowl and just making one huge batch.

Everyone is bringing their own mug :sheckymug:, right? Just wondering if I need to bring cups or not.

Aloha Billy,
Thanks for joining the fun, and Hosting! The punch bowl is probably a good idea. Usually hosts have provided paper/plastic cups (for portion control reasons,or whatever) but if you want to request that people bring their own cups/mugs that would be fine. I am sure there are plenty enough throughout the hotel.
Last year I printed and handed out 97 crawl cards, but not everyone shows up at each room, so just make as much punch as you desire, and when it is gone, it's gone! Then you will know you had a good time!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

On 2007-06-12 07:50, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
Aloha Billy,
Thanks for joining the fun, and Hosting! The punch bowl is probably a good idea. Usually hosts have provided paper/plastic cups (for portion control reasons,or whatever) but if you want to request that people bring their own cups/mugs that would be fine. I am sure there are plenty enough throughout the hotel.
Last year I printed and handed out 97 crawl cards, but not everyone shows up at each room, so just make as much punch as you desire, and when it is gone, it's gone! Then you will know you had a good time!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

Better yet........DON'T bring your own mug. I'll have cups. I didn't even think about portion control. My recipe for an entire bowl calls for two 750ml bottles of rum, ice, juice, secrets, etc......I'm really going to feel like a tit if I'm frugal with it and end up with half a bowl left. I'm sure SOMEONE will drink it!!

In past Crawls, I've pre-made batches and kept them in 1/2 gallon containers in a cooler.
I've also made drinks individually. I've always provided my own cups 'cause I like to estimate how many drinks I can afford to pour so I mix according to cup size. (12 oz, 14 oz. or 16 oz.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 299 replies