Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis VII Room Crawl

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 299 replies

Just an update, Folks! Tiki Oasis is less than 2 days away!

Mahalos to all of you who have posted your desire to host and/or crawl!
At this point we have 11, possibly 12, Hosts who have indicated their wish to serve drinks in their hotel rooms at the Crowne Plaza.

They are:

1. WooHooWahine & Soccer Tiki (Serving Friday 3:00 - 4:30)
  2. PiPhiRho (TBD)
  3. Croe67 & Skitiki (Serving on Friday 2:30 - 4:00)
  4. Cult of the Eye/ Dr. Shocker (Serving Sat. Afternoon 12:30 - 1:30)
  5. Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki (Serving on Friday 4:00 - 5:30)
  6. Tiki Hula & Blowfish (Serving Saturday from 2:30 to 3:30)
  7. Billybobaloo & Latiney Wahine (Serving Sat. 4:30 - 5:30)
  8. Sea Tiki
  9. Rum Shaker (Serving Fri. 3:30 - 5:00)
    10.Wersmo Derinc (Purple Orchid's Dave & Rebecca) (Serving Sat. 3:30 - 4:30)
    11.Morbid Room (Serving Sat. 4:00 - 5:00 & After party Sat. 12:00 - 1:00)
    12.TikiTastic, Panda, Canada Kai Treasure (Serving Fri. 3:30 - 5:00)

Write Ins:

1. Zog (Serving Fri. After Party)
  2. Flat Earth Trading Company (Serving Beer! Friday. 8:00 - 9:00)

Room Hosts, when you have chosen a time to serve drinks in your room, please post your name and time on this thread, or PM me and I will update the list. Thank you for your recent updates.

So far 154 people have indicated that they wish to crawl.

Dr. Shocker has been busy designing the Official Tiki Oasis 7 Crawl Card. He has posted a high res .pdf of the Crawl Card on page 15 of this thread, that people can download and print themselves.

I have dinner reservations for Thursday evening at the Bali Hai for 5:30. I will be handing out crawl cards at the bar at the Bali Hai between 4:30 - 5:30 and then again after dinner and during the show. See you there, or by the pool all day on Friday and at the shows on Friday and Saturday nights. Plus I will make an effort to visit each room that is hosting. See you there!

Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

Aloha, Tiki Oasis Room Hosts and Crawlers!

It's about that time, Folks. (Time to start thinking about the 2007 Tiki Oasis Room Crawl...that is.)

So who wants to be a Room Host? Who wants to crawl? Please respond to this thread if you would like to do either or both. Every year we have had a great response, and everyone has had lots of fun decorating their rooms, sampling drinks, and sharing their hospitality and mixology skills!

As I have in the past, I will create a schedule of room hosts and the times they would like to serve drinks in their rooms. As usual, I will create and pass out the Crawl Cards and plastic sleeves on Thursday and Friday at the hotel.(Hopefully before I pass out.)

Anyone can e-mail me with any specific questions, of course. As soon as I get a few responses from interested Room Hosts, I will start posting the schedule. Room Hosts, start thinking about when you would like to open up your room to the crawlers, and let me know of your day and time.

I am looking forward to seeing all my old friends and meeting any newcomers! All are welcome!

Aloha & Mahalo,
[email protected]
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-07 13:11 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-08 13:00 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-10 14:52 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-11 15:07 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-15 11:45 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2007-08-15 13:01 ]

WooHooWahine and I will crawl and host.

WoooHooooOOOOOooooooooo!!!!

ONLY 95 DAYS TIL OASIS!!!!!!!!

T

The wife and I will crawl.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

P

I will host once again. And when not hosting, will be crawling.

Two more to crawl. Thanks!

• Myke
C

We'll be crawling & hosting - had such a great time crawling at the Caliente Tropics that we figured we'd host this year, too. We already have our coll & unique recipe developed - can't wait to share!

Oh - and there will be 3 of us.

:drink:

[ Edited by: croe67 2007-05-14 20:39 ]

2 to Crawl for year 2! :) :drink:

its 3 months away....

the ice will all be melted if we plan this far ahead.

You know myself and the COTE will host and if anyone is in need of a room let me know I will see what I can do......

Plus Shell pm me I can do the card design for you if you would like?

Aloha Hosts and Crawlers,

I got a few questions from VampressRN and I thought I would pass along her questions and my answers to you...

VampressRN wrote:

Hi there.....this will be my first Oasis, so of course I have a few questions about the room crawl.

1. What time does the crawl start on Friday night?
  2. Do crawlers usually bring a kudos gift to the hosts?
  3. Does everyone end up in one room at a time, or do we rotate through the rooms on a schedule?

My response...

Aloha Vampiress,
Your questions are good ones. If you search the Room Crawl posts from the past you might get a few more answers, and probably end up twice as confused. Anyway, now I will attempt to answer your questions...

The crawl starts when ever the room hosts decide they want to start serving. So that is pretty much up to the hosts to decide when they want to have a bunch of people in their hotel rooms. They usually work around the entertainment schedule, and serve drinks in the afternoons/evenings on Thursday, Friday, and maybe all day Saturday, and after the bands on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. Hosts usually sign up for a two hour time block. I just try to keep it organized. The hosts sign up on a first come first serve basis, for the time blocks, and sometimes the times will overlap between hosts. It just all depends on what they want to do.

Once everyone tells me the times they want to host, I print up a schedule of names and times. Then I try to keep the Hosts and Crawlers aware of the times and names of Room Hosts. We never know room numbers until after check in, so we do that by word of mouth at the event. Some Hosts post signs on thier doors or make up invites on small cards that they pass around to crawlers they meet. I usually carry the schedule around with me during the event. If someone brings thier laptop, we could possibly update the schedule during the event! Wow, the technology is just amazing these days!!!

I'm sure Hosts would appreciate donations or small gifts of appreciation/ tips, but that is entirely up to you/or them. Sometimes they make requests, such as bring a bag of ice, or something for mixing, like juice or booze.

So once you get to the hotel, look around for me. I will be the one holding a shoe box full of Crawl Cards, which are like dance cards, that allow you to check off the room hosts you have visited. Hosts will usually initial the card for you or punch it with a hole punch. The card is your souvenier to keep. I usually bring a limited supply of plastic sleeves that you can store your card in and wear around your neck while you crawl. This helps you keep track of your card, and it keeps it from getting wet, unless, of course, you forget to remove it before swimming.

It is fun meeting the hosts and crawlers, sampling the drinks, enjoying the room decor, and running from room to room, trying to visit them all!

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will be happy to answer them. Or you may post your questions on the Tiki Central Room Crawl Thread and I will answer them there.

Mahalo & Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

Thanks for posting all the info. :)

4 to crawl (Friday & Saturday night) at our first Oasis. YEEEHAW!!!

TT

I am keen to crawl!

Depending on how much i drink i may be crawling.. or i could be actually crawling..

how many bottles of rum does it take?
a 1
a 2
a 3...

a 3!

Great News Folks!! This is an Official Announcement!!

Otto has contacted me and he has decided to officially sponsor the Room Craw at this year's Tiki Oasis 7!!!

Otto has generously offered his support to the Room Crawl, making the Room Crawl an official event of Tiki Oasis.

Now for the first time prizes/gifts will be offered to Room Hosts of the Crawl. Possible prizes may include Tiki Oasis glassware, and Barcardi Rum and Tito's Vodka,(possible spongers of this year's Tiki Oasis)and merchandise from vendors at the Oasis Marketplace.

Cool, huh?

Prizes will be awarded for the following:

Best Tasting Drink
Best Drink Presentation
Best Dressed Room

Now Room Hosts have a little incentive and can be awarded for their efforts! Many Mahalos to Otto, the Official Sponser of the Tiki Oasis 7 Room Crawl!

Aloha & Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

On 2007-05-16 15:59, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
Great News Folks!! This is an Official Announcement!!

Otto has contacted me and he has decided to officially sponsor the Room Craw at this year's Tiki Oasis 7!!!

Otto has generously offered his support to the Room Crawl, making the Room Crawl an official event of Tiki Oasis.

Now for the first time prizes/gifts will be offered to Room Hosts of the Crawl. Possible prizes may include Tiki Oasis glassware, and Barcardi Rum and Tito's Vodka,(possible spongers of this year's Tiki Oasis)and merchandise from vendors at the Oasis Marketplace.

Cool, huh?

Prizes will be awarded for the following:

Best Tasting Drink
Best Drink Presentation
Best Dressed Room

Now Room Hosts have a little incentive and can be awarded for their efforts! Many Mahalos to Otto, the Official Sponser of the Tiki Oasis 7 Room Crawl!

Aloha & Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

But..But...But what about the big ole Trophy we won last year? "Best in Show" (Fontana Dog Show 1996) I was looking forwared to handing it off to the new reigning Room Winners!!!!!!

Soccer,
What!?! You want to part with your Grand Award? Well... if you must...
Actually I think that is a very cool idea to pass the trophy for Best Dressed Room along each year. You could make it a tradition.

As part of passing along the trophy, you should embellish/decorate it with your own personal touch, and each year's winner should be required to do the same before they hand it off to the next year's winner. That way you and WooHoo will forever be imortalized in the trophy.

I say go with it!

Mahalo,
Shelley

On 2007-05-16 18:49, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
Soccer,
What!?! You want to part with your Grand Award? Well... if you must...
Actually I think that is a very cool idea to pass the trophy for Best Dressed Room along each year. You could make it a tradition.

As part of passing along the trophy, you should embellish/decorate it with your own personal touch, and each year's winner should be required to do the same before they hand it off to the next year's winner. That way you and WooHoo will forever be imortalized in the trophy.

I say go with it!

Mahalo,
Shelley
{Quote}

What????? I'm KEEPING that trophy!! Soccer Tiki doesn't know what he is talking about. WOOOOOHOOOO! :wink:

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-05-16 21:13 ]

WooHoo....does that make you a "trophy wife"? :D

WooHoo's a trophy something alright! Nothin' but love.

See you all on the crawl!

On 2007-05-15 19:03, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
So once you get to the hotel, look around for me. I will be the one holding a shoe box full of Crawl Cards, which are like dance cards, that allow you to check off the room hosts you have visited. Hosts will usually initial the card for you or punch it with a hole punch. The card is your souvenier to keep. I usually bring a limited supply of plastic sleeves that you can store your card in and wear around your neck while you crawl. This helps you keep track of your card, and it keeps it from getting wet, unless, of course, you forget to remove it before swimming.

Mahalo & Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

She's usually pretty easy to spot!
This was her greeting us last year! :D

CheekyGirl (Nelva) and Kaula Tiki (Cheri) will HOST and of course be CRAWLING also!

Cheers!

Hi All 3 for the crawl can't wait!!!

Were in for 2 for the crawl, if can stumble out of Soccers room!

Crash!

Arrr!!

(bringing Mrs Boo too! Watch Out!!)

2 night crawlers here

C

Got an idea. Why not just print up a glossy color fold-card that lists everybody having a room party, and just print the thing the first day of the Oasis, when we know what the room numbers will be?

It could be done for like 50 cents or a buck a copy.

It could have little Tiki's you check off beside the room.

Soccer and WooHoo could have a trophy next to theirs.

The specialty drink of the room could be noted.

Drink recipes could be printed on 8x11 paper cut in half, and collected as inserts to the folding card. Drink the drinks, collect the drinks!

It could look really cool.

I could do it.

Easy!

Sounds cool, Cammo.

The pre-printed sheet is a good idea. It's similar to what my friend Cheri and I would do. In order to keep our sanity we came prepared with a pre-printed sheet of paper. The sheet had the basics, so we could get a general ideal of who, when, and where with respect to each of the hosts. We had great success with this system. We just printed it on 1/2 sheet of plain paper, and kept it simple.

Oasis Room Crawl 2007

Date Time Room Host

We would then jot down information as we went along. We didn't worry about the order, because later we would add the 1, 2, 3, once we got everyone. It was an easy way to map out our debachery.

My friend and I also thought about just passing out little tiny card size flyers indicating what room and time we'd be pouring. Since we don't know room assignments until we get there, we figured we'd just ink it in on the card when we got settled.

Sorry about being so wordy....if this helps cool, if not no biggie...

I'm sure Shell of The Pacific has a Grand Master Plan. She has been so organized the past two years :)

On 2007-05-23 08:56, Daves Not Home wrote:
2 night crawlers here

No Breaking Mugs or Games of Quarters :) WooHooo!

we have cards with the host names on them.....you get them signed/punched when you hit the room (if you remember)

Kudos to Shelley for organizing the crawls and printing the host/and crawl cards.
The identity of hosts and the printing of the cards have never been a problem.

At the Tropics, it was easier to figure out who was hosting as it was a small motel, via a visual scan from your room. If you saw a large gathering, you knew drinks were pouring. Hosts would also tape signs on their doors. The motel was also small enough that you could gather the information by taking a casual cruise of the motel.

This was my personal observations with the Crawl last year at the Hanalei: Hanalei will not issue room # in advance, so we can't post room #s on the thread; Cruising the entire hotel searching for posted signs was time consuming and hard on the tootsies; Finding host and getting the info via word of mouth as to Host/Hosting Time was real work; Hanalei is a large hotel so a visual scan doesn't work.

It was real work getting drunk...

My guess is as the time approaches, some of the kinks will be worked out as the 1st year was the testing ground.

I for one, am looking forward to Hosting and Crawling

C

hmmmmm....when I called a couple months back to change our reservation from 2 rooms to a suite, she knew exactly which room we would be in - mentioned a room number, which I did not write down. But, I am wondering if maybe we could get room numbers as it gets closer, since she was assigning us to a specific room when I talked to her on the phone?

btw, DO NOT let them forward you to their "new" central reservation center, which is somewhere else - like Arizona or something.....they told me loads of incorrect info (wrong type & number of rooms....) & when I called the hotel back & asked for someone directly at the hotel (I have a name I can look up if someone needs it), all was GREAT. So just make sure they don't transfer you to the clueless "central reservation center".........

Sounds like a plan. I tried getting a specific room #, they said they couldn't tell me, maybe that's what happened to me!

Aloha and Thank you Cammo and Cheeky Girl!

Whatever ideas you have to share on how to keep everyone organized and informed are appreciated. The room crawl keeps getting bigger, more impressive and fun each year.

Dr. Shocker has graciously offered to help me with the layout and design of the Crawl Card this year. We have discussed possibly making the card bigger by having it fold, so it will still fit into the plastic sleeves, that I will provide. If we use a folding design, the card would have twice the room for text and graphics. We might make the card double sided as well this year. Dr. Shocker and I will print the crawl cards out in advance before the event and provide them to all of the crawlers. Last year 97 people indicated that they would like to crawl, so that was a lot of printing that had to be done in advance. Dr. Shocker lives up in the northern L.A. area, so the idea of including room numbers on the cards is impossible if the printing is to be done before he leaves L.A. for S.D. As usual, room numbers will be spread by word of mouth as soon as Room Hosts know that information.

Cheeky Girl's suggestion is a great way to keep yourself organized. I do something similar each year, and I consider it my "appointment calendar" or day-timer. This method works for me, and I usually end up carrying it around with me, in case anyone needs the information as well.

Cammo has come up with an idea for something that sounds something like a "commemorative program", that is a little larger, and has room to store additional information such as the drink names and recipes. Cammo's idea could be a supplement to the Room Crawl Cards and would be a nice souvenir that you can put with the other programs and print media that you collect during the weekend.

Anyone's ideas for making the room crawl run smoothly are encouraged and welcome. If you would like to contribute by creating something to share with others, that is encouraged as well. Feel free to post your ideas and intentions on this thread. Thank you everyone for your support!

Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

On 2007-05-15 19:03, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
Once everyone tells me the times they want to host, I print up a schedule of names and times. Then I try to keep the Hosts and Crawlers aware of the times and names of Room Hosts.

So once you get to the hotel, look around for me. I will be the one holding a shoe box full of Crawl Cards, which are like dance cards, that allow you to check off the room hosts you have visited.

Might I suggest a large easel in the lobby of the hotel with the host's names and scheduled times. When each host checks in he/she could fill in his/her room number next to their serving time.

Trying to find a moving/drinking target, i.e. Shelly, is a fairly difficult thing to do. I feel it puts a little too much stress on the crawlers, especially if they're painfully shy like me. (Shut up, Clysdalle.) It takes away from the fun and relaxed atmosphere of such an event.

Although the crawl is now an "official" Oasis event, I've heard that Otto isn't shelling out any money for the organization portion. I'm sure the crawlers would gladly pitch in a few bones for the purchase of an easel and a giant 3M notepad.

Just my two cents.

Oh and I'd like to crawl this year. (If I can find out where the rooms are. :D)

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 8:16 PM

The chalkboard is an excellent idea. One can be made with a minimum of materials, I'm using one for the Carving Village demo times.

Kate? Shy? With whom, exactly? Anybody who can hold their own (as Kate certainly does) against a fully armed Clysdalle with his favorite well oiled chainsaw isn't my idea of a SHY dame.

On 2007-05-24 20:16, Cammo wrote:
The chalkboard is an excellent idea. One can be made with a minimum of materials, I'm using one for the Carving Village demo times.

Kate? Shy? With whom, exactly? Anybody who can hold their own (as Kate certainly does) against a fully armed Clysdalle with his favorite well oiled chainsaw isn't my idea of a SHY dame.

With people I don't know, Cammo.

Oh and I'd like to do my carving demo at 10am on Friday. :wink:

Half the Fun is Stumbling Around the Hotel trying to find the next room that's Open for a Drink. The way the Crawl has been set up in the past has been Great. It helps to get people out of their rooms to mix and mingle with people throughout the hotel. Trust me EVERYONE on TC knows Where The Party is At and Can Smell a Drink being Poured a Mile Away :) It's Summer Vacation Time: Who Wants to Be Stuck Doing Homework :)

Hey, hey! This will be my first Oasia and the Monkeyskull wants to crawl! And Poi Polloi will want on the list too!

On 2007-05-24 20:28, WooHooWahine wrote:
It's Summer Vacation Time: Who Wants to Be Stuck Doing Homework :)

Yep. All that jotting and glancing. Tough work. :lol:

So this room crawl thingy is no longer TC only? And locations are going to be listed on a publicly displayed billboard?

Are the room hosts really up to dealing with the HUGE SWARMS OF BOOZE GRUBBING DRUNKARDS that this approach would create and the subsequent mob mentality when the booze runs short?

Even though it is an "official event", it's better to keep it somewhat covert. Find the times by watching this thread and the rooms by word of mouth.

Plus, the covert method makes it more like a treasure hunt as opposed to having the details spoon fed.

BTW - count me in for crawling.

C

The whole hotel is Oasis-only for the weekend.

Don't worry, it'll work out. Chalkboard or no, sticks will be swizzled.

On 2007-05-24 22:16, Hakalugi wrote:
So this room crawl thingy is no longer TC only? And locations are going to be listed on a publicly displayed billboard?

Are the room hosts really up to dealing with the HUGE SWARMS OF BOOZE GRUBBING DRUNKARDS that this approach would create and the subsequent mob mentality when the booze runs short?

Even though it is an "official event", it's better to keep it somewhat covert. Find the times by watching this thread and the rooms by word of mouth.

I assumed that since it was no longer TC only since it was proclaimed to be an officially sponsored event. Is it going to be advertised in anything that Otto publishes to promote the event, i.e. flyers, e-mails, etc?

Those huge swarms of booze grubbing drunkards always seemed to be comprised of ridiculous frat boys or the crazy bachelor party guys or people from the adjacent motels. Since the Hanalei is reserved solely for Oasis guests this year, wouldn't Otto be alienating a portion of his clientele by sponsoring an event from which a portion of them were excluded?

Again, like CheekyGirl pointed out, word of mouth doesn't travel too far in a place as large as the Hanalei.

This is just my little opinion. I'm just a crawler. It would probably be better to let the room hosts decide.

C

As a host, I don't mind one bit sharing my booze with fellow involved TCers who are crawling. The conversation with fellow TC crawlers & sharing of the libations are a big part of what is so fun about this part of Tiki Oasis!

However, the idea of potentially all Tiki-Oasis goers showing up for free booze is a bit daunting from a financial perspective.....esp. now that we'll have the whole hotel, which is quite a bit bigger than the Caliente Tropics, which was managable. It also runs the risk of running out of libations before the TC crawlers might even make it to the room, which kinda defeats the purpose of crawling, socializing, etc......

So, yeah, as a host, I'd be curious as to whether broader publicity is planned given that it is now a sponsored event......I had thought it would still stay within the Ohana, as it has in the past....

:drink:

CL

I agree with Hakalugi. If the hotel doesn't sell out, reservations will open to the general public in July. Therefore, it may not be TC only. A public board, could be a bit scary concept for a potential host. And a public board would make it easier for the hotel staff to track the parties (and potentially monitor) if they get the itch to put the control on things a bit.

My thought is that watching this thread is better. Print out a copy of the list prior to going. And I definitely like the covert and treasure hunt concept brought up by Hakalugi. That's half the fun of it.

On 2007-05-24 22:16, Hakalugi wrote:

Plus, the covert method makes it more like a treasure hunt as opposed to having the details spoon fed.

BTW - count me in for crawling.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-05-25 08:34 ]

CL

Coco Loco and Mai Tai are in for crawling...and might possibly host.

On 2007-05-25 08:32, Coco Loco wrote:
If the hotel doesn't sell out, reservations will open to the general public in July. Therefore, it may not be TC only. A public board, could be a bit scary concept for a potential host.

Excellent point, Miss Loco. Silly me. I really hadn't thought of that. :blush:

something else to consider is that the hotel would NOT condone traveling room parties where they are actually serving alcohol to large groups of people for free.

The hotel is having us fill their rooms so that they can drive ancillary revenues through their food and beverage facilities.

A room crawl circumvents all of that.....

I would keep the crawl as covert as possible.

Im not trying to poo poo it either... I was a host last year.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 299 replies