Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

One of the arms broke off and it wasn't a smooth break, so now I'm going to attempt to reconstruct yet again!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 7:03 AM

Medic.....Medic........Tiki down......TIKI DOWN!!!!!!!

B

Yours is NOT the first tiki arm to break, that's why we all have Super glue in Quart cans! Also Look at those Pictures, notice how most of the arms Look like TOOTHPICKS? It's like they were always an afterthought so see. you are Right on the plan, PerFecto! Keep up the Great work and just think, when you finish This guy, you can Start ALL Over again and make the same mistakes. :lol: :lol:

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 7:47 AM

Oh man, that sucks!

A lot of great art had no arms though.

Now you can call it "Tiki de Milo" and sell it for millions!

Nah! It's looking great. Just pin that arm back on, slap a Band-Aid on it and it's good to go.

Taking a break, and then back at it!!! Here is where I've gotten so far.

Thanks Benz and Bowana, you had me cracking up with that!!!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-09-03 09:12 ]

C

Ah, the challenge of a broken appendage! You will do fine. It's a good sign that you
are going to be great at carving. Your first tiki and you are already digging so deep
that you broke him. Wonderful.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 10:06 AM

Shootz! The plan worked great! Better than I figured :) You my friend are a natural! That looks freaking geat! Call ifn you wanna.

-G

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 10:33 AM

This little wangaroan is nervous when you start carving around his wang. He's seen you lop off too many other appendages already.

This is it for today, before I destroy something else!!!! I think the profile is looking better, but the front view looks funny to me. I still need shave the legs and butt more, maybe the head is too big now????? Grog, he is lucky I didn't lop it of a long time ago!:)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 1:03 PM

That's one skinny puppy! :lol:

-G

Y
Yubaba posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 3:10 PM

Kewl tiki TikiFreak!

It's original and stands out from the previous designs, though at first glance I thought he was pregnant :D

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 3:23 PM

He's truckin' like the Doo Dah Man! If you keep whittling away at him you'll be able to stop worrying bout the size of his weiner! :lol:

B

STILL Looking Great and he's Still gots Lots of life in him. Good work.

That's sweet! These little guys are my favorite. I like the deep cuts on his face, keep 'er comin'!

Here I go again!!!!!! This has to be the last time for a mistake or it will be the size of a pendant, for real! I still want to shape the head a little more before I put back in the details, shave the lower belly in just a little. Blah, blah, blah, a lot more work, for me anyways!

Thanks for all the funny comments, those were hilarious!

G- now he is a real skinny puppy!

Yubaba- LOL! Thanks, I'm trying to fix that problem. By the way I was born in BXL.

Robin- I think he is about to lose the wiener, and not by accident, but not sure yet?

Ben- I hope he still has life in him. This is like his 9th one!

Surfin- Thanks man, but unfortunately he is faceless, for now.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 5:12 PM

Wow! You just keep cutting him down! I like your determination! My wife says he has a nice butt - keep that part 'cause the ladies like it. Man, what a series of turns this fellow has taken. It looks like you are on it though - keep going. I'm looking forward to your next update. NICE!

-G

R
Robin posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 4:50 AM

Wow...you sure are working on this guy....you should name him Cat Tiki, maybe Sybil! I think you've made at least four or five out of him so far! Good on you. Quite a learning experience for me too.

two new logs!!!! Now off to work on my other one!!

Just a rough idea of what the new face is going to look like. Didn't go to deep yet just to make sure I didn't mess up. I still need to round the eyes and mouth and clean things up, then back to fix the body!

Looks perfect, keep going now!

Worked on facial features, putting the arms back in, and rounding out the lower belly.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 7:08 PM

Serious chops! I think you've got him dialed in now. Time to start being very careful!!! Smaller and smaller chips - don't go and kill him again! Oh, and after seeing the new pics, I still think you should keep the pee pee.

Start cleaning him up slowly and working your way toward the 60 grit sandpaper. I likee a loteee! Good save! I can't wait to see him sanded out to 220 and finished in that stain.....

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-09-06 19:17 ]

B

The reconstruction seems to be a good thing: symmetry looks very good.
Did I heard about stain? COOOOOLLLL

R
Robin posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 10:02 AM

As advocate for Tikis around the world...I have to tell you to leave that guys pee pee alone! You gotta leave the pee pee and the butt. G's right, we love the butt! Check Tama's thread about wahines and butt swirls...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20862&forum=7&start=780&816

Ya know, I admire your tenacity so much! I would have set him on fire by now, and then killed myself! :lol:

When you get finished, this guy will have an unbeatable personality!

Benella, you heard right! Dark stain!

Robin, butt swirls might be a cool idea but killing yourself is a little extreme!

Picked up another new log today (black cherry) This sucker was heavy!!! It looks like it will have a cool natural color (hard to tell from the pictures though)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 5:07 PM

debark......seal ends......now!

B

Hey TikiFreak, Excellent job finally finishing this #1 tiki. Stain it and finish it and keep it forever.(I wish I still had My first!) Don't let anyone have it! ...
Unless of course you wanted to send it over here to a good home (:lol: G)
Really, good job of sticking to it.

todays updates..... new ears, smaller & rounder head, some arm work, and rounded out the eyes and mouth more.

leg, hands & butt work!

[ Edited by: 2007-09-08 15:33 ]

B

Looks like he is Almost finished, Lookin' Better and Better

This is my method of debarking. Paint scraper + mallet= nice long strips. It only took about 15 minutes.

B

Happy to see you're working hard. Any idea about the design you'll carve with this new log?

Ben

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2007 3:29 PM

You dead? How's Mr. Wango Tango?

No, I'm still alive! Just been doing a lot of sanding! Just have to put in some toes and then more sanding. I will post pictures again right before stain just to make sure I'm ready for it.

Great piece!!! Everybody WANG-chung tonight.. Good Stuff, keep the chops rollin', Meng.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2007 7:19 PM

The Nuge says "Wango Tango"!! Sand 'em up to 220, maybe further? Were you able to get some of the Watco rejuvenating oil? I can't wait to see him all sanded....go with the grain......you wearing your mask? We'll chat later in the week.

-G

Benella, I have some ideas but I have to do some more research first.

Thanks for checking him out FreddieBalls! You have that song stuck in my head now & I don't know if that's a good thing! I checked out your thread too, very cool stuff!!!

G, Yeah I found a place that sells it so I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I'm still on 60 grit because the tight spots are killing me. This might be a stupid question but how do I know when to switch grits????

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-09-13 04:49 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 5:34 AM

when it hurts :wink:

Oh, you can switch when there are no remaining scratches deeper/larger than the ones you are maiing with that particular grit paper. :lol: Keep going......

-G

sanding all night so hopefully I can stain tomorrow. This is where I'm at so far! I think I can officially say sanding SUCKS!!!!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-09-14 17:27 ]

B

Still Looking Great TF and I Still can't believe it's your first TIKI. He's gonna look Great all stained up, AFTER you Finish Sanding him Of Course! :lol: :lol: :lol: There are ways to make the sanding easier that we'll show yo later, After you learn the Hand method...

B

TF...this is over the top crazy for your first tiki!!

Love, love it! The progress pictures you have posted, and the comments on this guy will be an outstanding reference for future carvers here on TC. Before I went back and read all the posts with care, I quickly scrolled down from first page to last page. It was like zipping through one of those picture books watching this cool tiki quickly, and magically emerge from a log...

Hey, that's good idea?, someone should make one of those little "zip through" picture books of a tiki being carved. :)

Aces high TF!

First coat of stain! Now you can really see all the flaws!!!

Forgot close-up of the new toes, will post in a little!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 15, 2007 5:59 PM

He is looking real sharp man. A great effort, no doubt. Let's see those toes!

-G

Nothing that special, but here are the toes and the stain soaked in more!

Thanks for looking!

Craig

I'm thinkin he looks spectacular! The stain really brings it home. Nice work.

R
Robin posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 7:27 AM

Well will you look at that. He looks great!

B

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW that grain !!! Top first class as you Tang. Nice done dude, really.

Thanks guys!!!! I'm still going to put on another coat of stain and then some oil. Final pix should be up this weekend, then the start of a new project begins.

Craig

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies