Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

B

Hey man, where are the new pix you edited ? :wink:

Benjamin.

B

Hey TikiFreak, you're Freakin me out here, Where are your Carvings, You GOTTA Find some wood and Hack some Faces, make some tikis, Post some pictures. Your talent is too good to be cooped up resting, I really Want to see MORE... please?

Thanks Benz, I know!!! I had three logs, I've been fighting with the bugs and the bugs won!! I still have one more that I didn't debark yet, but I'm sure it is infested too! The ancients weren't with me on these logs!!! :) I'm on it though.

Edit- The "I know" is not about the talent thing (mine are nothing compared to the rest on this site) I meant it to be it's been awhile.

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-08-21 18:09 ]

Started a new one today!!! This one has bugs too but I put a 40 grit to their ass! It will stay outside though if it turns out okay.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 27, 2008 12:41 PM

What is it gonna bee?

Is that a trick question???

B

:P, TF, tell that G guy if he Doesn't shuddap, he won't Like where it Will BEE :P :P :P
About time, I bet it must feel good to be back carving

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 4:47 AM

"tell that G guy if he Doesn't shuddap, he won't Like where it Will BEE"

Ouch! Aack!

It's Bee-utiful so far!

B

Really nice !
Will you do some birdman on his back ?

Benjamin.

Thanks guys! Benjamin, I don't know about the birdman yet, I gotta make sure I can carve this guy first.

A little thinner than I wanted and I messed up but this is it so far. Still got a lot of shaping on the head to do. Looks a little weird to me? Any advice would be Great. I'm thinking I need to shave down the nose and chin a bit?? I'm gonna work on the body tomorrow to see if that helps.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 30, 2008 5:07 PM

You were busy today! I say round the bottom of his nose up so it comes to a point. Round the chin from the bottom as well and you'll bee cooking with Crisco.......

-G$

B

Lookin Great, I'd say follow your original instincts and leave him be, just tidy up, Round off, Sand down and finish up. Moais Never come out the way you planned but they ALWAYS Still look like Moai! He Actually has some great things going on.

LUNCH TIME!!!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 1:40 PM

Dude! Way to go. He looks GRAND! After talking with you last night, I went back and read your whole thread from the beginning. Good times! I was so inspired I went right out this morning and carved. Thanks for the stoke!

-G$

I can't believe you went back through this whole thread. That must have been boring!!

A little more nose work.

I think this is about it! Just gonna do some hand sanding and fine tuning around the fingers and other areas tomorrow. Then stain!

Done! Sorry Benjamin, no birdman. Just a quickie for outside. I didn't want to spend to much time on it.

S

Holey crap! nice! you have been busy.

He will be incredible in the tiki room thats
where he is going right?

Thanks seeks, no it had bugs and I don't know if I got them all out. I just put on some deck stain and it stays outside.

B

No birdman O.K, that's nothing, he's perfect enough !

The color makes it totally.

Benjamin.

J

Nice work on the Maoi, looks like you have been doing this a long, long time.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 8:27 AM

Freak! You rule! This old boy is awesome...especially for a quickie job. I bet he is gonna look great out there on the deck. You'll need to post some shotz of him covered in snow - ala JohnnyP. Nice job man.

-G$

Moai has some seriously great character! Nice work

Thanks Seeks, Benjamin, JohnnyP, Gman, and Tikilizard!!

Started a new one today, Seeks I hope you're not mad? I'm going off the same pictures, but don't worry mine won't be as good as yours!!! :)

B

Way to go Freak!, Love your new guy and as complicated as the lono is, I don't think it will be as difficult as your first Moai which turned out Excellent btw! The Moai Look much easier than they are and usually when you should be done with the rough out is when you find out the Moai is Really Complicated but you did very well. The new guy will be a Breeze for you I'm sure! :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 7, 2008 3:24 PM

Nice kickstand......

B

Those are pretty nice freaky deep cuts ! I love it !

Benjamin.

Thanks Benz, G, @ Benjamin!

G, I lied a did some more today.

Wow! He's a bigg'n! Mondo headdress coming...look out!

Had the day off so I got some stuff done. Has a weird back. Still have a lot more shaping and balancing out to do. Then I will go back to the face.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 1:55 PM

"The Kava Kava Lono" Get that sucker a sammy 'cause he's lookin' a little thin in the skin! Neato stuff Craig. Your abilities are exploding!

Boy or girl?

Yes he is skinny (I knew it was going to be), it was that or little dinky arms or not have any light between the arms. Then I saw this picture of these guys and decided to give it a try, maybe it was a bad choice, but I'm a risk taker! I think once I shave the head down it might look a little better, but I doubt it.

It's another GIRL!!!! Everything went well and is looking good!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-09-11 14:27 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 2:37 PM

another girl.....OH MY!

I see where you are going with the carving. You look right on the money. Sweet!

S

Holy Crap! Love it, love the size shape everything.
This sucker is going to be so cool! Way to step it up!

Congrats on the girl.

B

Hey Freak!!! HE's Looking Great, you are doing well with this guy so don't go thinking you messed him yp, theres LOTS of wood there to get the image out of.
I've seen some of these guys skinnier than what yours could ever be so stay with your plan, it's working SUPER

R
Robin posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 9:42 AM

You're obsessed! I can't believe the progress you've made and the things you've tried to date. Your work is really developing. I see that your stretching your carving into your own TF1 expressions....that is real progress.

G- see you in a couple of days??

Benz- I'll try, I think it's going okay for now?

Seeks- Thanks!

Robin- glad you were able to get back on the puter! I don't know about my own expressions, still just trying to copy but not doing very good at it!

Here is a little more progress...........

Fantastic start on that big guy! He's going to be impressive. Can't wait to see more.
It's been fun watching your thread since you began carving. Keep'em coming!
:drink:

Savage Daddy

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2008-09-28 09:26 ]

S

Love it! Tight carve.

Yo, Gman here.....chillin' at Freak-boy's crib. We had the third bi-annual VA Gangsta-Chop. Word. Tonight's subject was Freak's Big Hawaiian feller. We got a 12-pack of Cokes and some Mc D's and put the wood to some wood. Here are some progress pics from this evening, along with a Tiki-Guy photo shoot for the Buzz Meister.

Buzz? Can we be tiki-guys too?

-Gman

-Tikifreak

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 3, 2008 3:44 PM

Those pendants are DOPE!

-G$

S

Great Pictures Guys! Looks like a good time.

This big guy is really a great looking carve you should
be proud of this sucker.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2008 4:48 PM

Are you Long-ear or Short-ear?

Short!

Some more progress. Camera phone pictures!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 16, 2008 5:37 AM

Tight! Who was that masked man?

-G$

On 2008-10-02 19:00, tikifreak1 wrote:
Buzz? Can we be tiki-guys too?

It's not for me to decide or determine if you can be or are a Tiki-Guy. To be regarded as a true Tiki Guy, the public at large must be able to see and classify you as a Tiki Guy. The standards are very high, and only the fewest of the few can actually legally use the title of Tiki Guy.
I did, however, send your pictures to a Tiki Guy review panel composed of members of the public at large for evaluation and certification, to see if you guys were certifiably Tiki Guyed yet. Here's the results and notations from the panel:

Subject #1
Panel Review: Fail
Visual Evidence Review: Fail
Certification: Denied
Findings: Glasses are okay indoors, but must be placed one inch above eyes and racoon eye tan lines must be visible, even in low light conditions
The pendant is fine, but necklace cords made from animal products, as opposed to hemp, would be preferable.
You need to gain 100 pounds
Is that the same shirt that guy on the fishing show on tv was wearing?
The only way a Tiki Guy would wear pants like that was if he cut the legs off.
Shoes should only have velcro or stretchy straps. Shoes like those are for sober guys.
Nice tiki in your hand, but consider this: Your other hand has a drink that you "invented" and named in it. How are you going to stir your drink with that tiki in your hand? That's why you have Tiki mugs! You have a tiki and a drink and still have a free hand.

Thank you for you submittal for panel review.

Subject #2
Panel Review: Fail
Visual Evidence Review: Fail
Certification: Denied
Findings:
First off, you look too healthy to be a Tiki Guy. You need to look like you have some disease that people are being too polite to ask you what's wrong with you when they look at you. Try eating like Elvis for a while.
You look like you just got off work. Are those "work" pants? Tiki Guy and work do not go together. Career work for a Tiki Guy is being on disability. Occupational Tiki Guy work is refining your signature drink. You cannot look like you work a job, at all. You have to look like you do nothing but sit around and drink and eat appetizers all day like life is some sort of endless happy hour. Get some baggy cargo shorts with lots of pockets instead. And lose the job. Try to get carpal tunnel syndrome so it can be the cause of your new career change
Shoes: Tiki Guys are punkers who grew up. Lose the Vans. You can transition first with flip flops, but as you increase your daily alcohol consumption, you'll need strappy mandals.
You need to get fat. Real fat. Especially on your face.
Tshirts are okay, but only if they are from a tiki event and you wear them under a Hawaiian shirt(vintage)
It looks like you natural instinct is to carry a tiki. That's great, just switch it with a mug and fill it with booze.

Thank you for you submittal for panel review.

Oh well! Cheer up guys, at least you're having fun! Right...
Tiki Guys, who needs 'em?
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-10-16 22:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies