Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

Doing a real nice job there Tikifreak, impressive project for your second tiki (I think the
Tang was your first, right?) Keep pluckin' away and yer gonna have another one to be
proud of.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 2:18 PM

How are we doing on this guy Craig? He's looking mighty nice! I can't wait to see what you can do with those new toolz! I'll be up at HQ again in December, maybe we can carve together again?

-G

Thanks benella, seek, benz, A.A., conga, and G for checking him out and for the encouragement!

G- glad you got your puter working again! December, you better believe it! Let me know. I'll probably get some carving time at the end of this week through the weekend. I just got a Hawaiian sculpture book so I'm trying to figure out how I want to do the rest of him.

Thanks,
Craig

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-10-24 04:25 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 4:45 AM

Roger. Read up. G-Computer is still busted. Working on a fix....

some nose work (still a lot of shaping), messed up the eyes but I think I know what to do now to make it work (The eyes you are seeing is just leftover of me shaving what I had down)????

S

You got it, he is comming along great. Looks like you have enough
meat to play with.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 4:47 AM

Rockin! Don't worry about that crack - it will barely seen once he is finished. Just be careful around it and keep the superglue gel handy. I'm loving this one.

-G

A little more face! I think he is starting to look more pissed. Getting the brows a bit more deeper and the scrunch above his nose should do it???

That's gonna be a great Hawaiian..Leroy Schmaltz carved one like this a while back but with a helmet..it is the Lei holder at OA if I remember what I was told..

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 29, 2007 6:12 PM

Kick A$$! Craig that looks bitchin. Small steps now.....don't get crazy with the tools and bonk some big chips. Start picking and tuning and you've got it made. I love this guy! That nose is great! The eyes are just right too! Gimme a shout tomorrow.

-G$

Big B.K. thanks for checking him out!!!!

G- I'll give you a ring tomorrow after work. Thanks for the comps too! It's going slow , it's cracking all over the place but I think it is manageable and it might turn out cool in the end?

G$- here is what's going on with the legs so far and some other pics.

S

Ow-ya he is comming along nice.
Must be nice to have a room to carve in. Im in the gararge or outside.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 4:15 AM

Craig,

That looks sharp man! I love the way you have really jumped in and pulled out those facial features. That face is dead on. Sweet! It looks like you can bring the bottom of his legs in a bit just above the ankle on the backside. If you do that you'll have enough wood to get the back of his foot bumped out and give it a very realistic look. Look at your own feetz before you get to chippin'

-G

B

WOW, Craig, take your time, don't hurry up. It is indeed very sharp but you can do something very nice.
The cracks will make it even more beautiful, dude. I know you'll make it right, just take your time.

Benjamin.

Thanks Seek, G, and Benjamin! Here is a little bit more of something I decided to do under the eyes and I think I still need to take a good amount of butt off????

WOW! Nice job hollowin out the mouth...Lookin Good!

Thanks Surfin' but I can't take credit for the mouth, that was all GMAN when he came to my house awhile back! The mouth really saves the rest of the carving though, it is awesome!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2007 4:45 AM

I think the butt balances the chest and the chest balances the butt. This tiki needs a big round butt. Keep this guy wrapped up in blankets mang. Don't let the dry air get to him.

I like what you did under the eyes. :D

-G

R
Robin posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 9:23 AM

Looks like another keeper. I like the lines under the mouth, and you're becoming a master of good butts.:lol: Good luck with it Craig.

Thanks Robin, have you been carving lately? I haven't seen you around as much.

I took a break from the Hawaiian carving and started a rough-out on a Maori bust? I wanted to just do a big head to try to get in some cool detail in it. This is a couple of hours in one days work with some chainsaw for the top. Pretty happy w/ the progress I made on it!!

S

Right on tikifreak, nice size chunk of head. I just saw your pic's in the background the 2 on the bottom left. Im using the 2 pic's you have on the wall for my reference.
I will post Pic's soon. Good to see we both thinks those 2 are great tiki's

I did a little sanding with the angle grinder today and bought some stuff to try to get motivated to finish this guy! Nothing better to go to a beauty shop to buy hair for a tiki (tangle free)! I wasn't going to do hair but then I decided I'll give it a shot to try to hide that big crack! I'm also going to attempt shell eyes because I am going to stain him ebony and I think they will really stand out, but I have no idea how to shape them.

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-11-17 18:34 ]

Be very, very careful about that dust when cutting the shell..as bad as asbestos on the mesothelioma tip. And I got that straight from Bob Van Oosting, 1/2 of Oceanic Arts..If they don't know than nobody does. Wear a very good respirator with a screw-on filter.

HOK

Aloha! Just in case you need more picts of the hair. I noticed the pict in the background is kinda, Larry of the Three Stooges like, instead of kinda Nick Nolte like. :)

Freddie

Cool, thanks BK! I have a respirator so hopefully I'll be okay. Thanks for the pic Freddie, you are definitely right and I actually have that pic, that's the one I brought to the beauty shop so I could find something that looks like it. I do appreciate it though.

Craig

Just did a tiny bit on the feet and wanted to stain it again to try to seal the cracks until I get back to it on Friday w/ I should have a lot of progress on the weekend (for real!)

I need to think of a way to fix the hands

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 19, 2007 5:37 PM

I like the hands as they are.

-G

H

What's he gonna do with hands anyway? Looks good-you are definitely a NATURAL! East coast carvers rock!!!!

S

Right on tikifreak!

Shell eye rough outs, that was fun! I still need to probably adjust the size and shape but just wanted to place them to see what they looked like. Now hopefully I don't die!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-11-20 15:03 ]

B

You are Definitely going in the right direction, These eyes will be Excellent the way you are going with them..

S

Nice touch on the eyes. I can see his soul.

I decided to make the eyes smaller (since I messed up!) but I think I like it better. Still not %100 done, still need to set them in better (sticking out in some places) and clean up the eye sockets! It's been tricky trying to set the eyes but I like the challenge. It might not be that great, but it was my first shot! I also drilled out the hair plugs!

A little more..... set the eyes a little better, and spray painted (flat black) which I'm still going to sand and shape a little more tomorrow and then stain ebony and start the hair!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 24, 2007 7:47 PM

That's the ballz! :D

-G

R

This finish is going to be interesting to see...he's got a sort of Darth Vadar look now. How's it going? Love how you just go for it!

S

Ya go for it. This bad boy is gona be loud and in charge!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 6:38 PM

Hey, Craigo....howzitt? Have you expermimented with the hair yet? Can you take pics? How's the sanding going? I wanna see! Did you put the stain on yet? C'mon, this is so killer I need to see more! I LOVE this one!

Hey G! I did stain it ebony but I'm having second thoughts about it. I kinda rushed and slacked on the sanding but now I think I'm going to clean him up better and maybe refinish him a slate gray (Robin may be right w/ him looking like Darth Vader)??? So no hair yet until I get the finish I like! Should have more progress this weekend.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2007 7:16 PM

Craigo,

How's the big guy going? Did you go back and hit him with another sanding session? If so, were you also able to get him back in stain? Any luck with the hair? I would love to see some pics if have some. :D

-G$

Hey G, the current status of the big guy is a crappy stain job and reconstructed eyes (well no eyes, the sockets got messed up but I have new shells to try something different)! I did figure how I am going to finish him but I have to get off the million coats of the other crap, and sanding this thing is nothing like the oak Tang, I keep sanding and sanding but nothing is coming off!! This month is also going to be slow with working on him because I working 12 hour days and Saturdays for the next to weeks for some extra Christmas money!! But once this hectic month is over I'm going back to carving Hardcore!! Keep an eye out for a package from the "freak" too hopefully in the next couple of weeks too (if all goes well) it's in the works. Did you already go on your trip yet?

B

Good Luck for the work, Craig.
Post pix as soon as you can.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

tikifreak, im also suffering from a crappy stain job!
Im feeling your pain.

S

Whats up Tikifreak? How did you end up with the crock head?

R

On 2007-12-12 21:47, seeksurf wrote:
Whats up Tikifreak? How did you end up with the crock head?

ditto on the croc head. How's the stain coming along?

Hey guys, thanks for checkin' in! I did a little research and found it online, wasn't to sure if it was something he would like but he's a great person who helps out a bunch of people including myself so I thought I would hook him! My carving won't have progress until after Xmas because I'm trying to make some extra cash and have actually been finishing building out my carving room!

Here are some pics of my almost finished work shop!! Now I can get carving again!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies