Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 5:35 PM

Does he seem dry yet? Is the smell still very strong? Maybe another stain coat soon?

Can't wait to see him darker and oiled.....

-G

Yeah, it seems pretty dry and the smell is not strong at all. I was planning on doing another coat tomorrow but I was gonna ask you first. And if I do stain tomorrow, how long do I wait to apply the WATCO???

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 5:42 PM

Craig,

If you stain again tomorrow, give it about the same amount of time to dry before you apply the oil. You'll know if it is ready by touching and smelling it.

-G

B

What's the name of the color stain ? Walnut? Really beautiful.

Benella, it is MINWAX Red Mahogany 225! I hope it gets more even on the second coat.

Sneak peek before the daylight pictures tomorrow!!!

Alright, here it is about three months later (two facial reconstructions/broken arms/and not enough sanding). Overall I think it turned out okay for my first carve. I had a blast making it. Thanks everybody who checked it out and left comments, especially the ones who helped me out with tips and ideas!!!! Big thanks to GMAN for really helping me throughout this whole carve. G, you truly are a great person! LOTS OF PICS, SORRY! Off to start on a new one. G, the "earl" worked awesome!

That's a lot!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2007 12:52 PM

Hey man! Sorry I didn't post sooner (been out slinging arrows at food) - he looks great! I'm glad you stayed with him and didn't let the feet, the face cracks, the arm loss, and all the other pitfalls stop you. You've learned a bunch, and now we'll expect even tighter pieces from you. Set this Tang aside and keep him safe, because every time you see him you will remember and smile about how much fun and frustration he gave you.

Now you need more tools, more free time, and you need to show us pics of the new guy.

-G

Thanks G, any good kills? Start of the base of #2 (black cherry). So far it is much easier than the oak!

Awesome Tang mate. You should be very proud of yourself! Good to see that you went in deep, fully 3-D and didnt hold back. Big fat dong too - why not? I like your style!

Tama :)

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 8:51 AM

Good good job Craig...I bet you feel kinda like a proud papa! After all you went through together, and look what you've made! YAY!

Good luck with the next one.

Thanks, Robin and Tama. Started to get some more progress on #2!

B

Boy oh boy, that first tiki finished up Super nice, and places your skill level Way up there. Your second tiki looks like he will be just as super. Take your time and think about your cuts before you make them and you'll be great. Can't wait to watch this guy unfold. :) :) :)

B

Hi dude,

your new one seems to have been started very good.
Keep up the good work.

Ben

S

Dude, love the story and your first carving. The next one is shaping up real nice.
Looking forward to seeing more.

A

Great job on number 1!!! The progress shots that show the good the bad and the ugly just prove that you just chip away what's not Tiki.

And yes the ladies always dig the Tang.

Can't wait to see how the second one comes out. Looks like a sorcery tiki from the drawing. Please keep posting progress shots.

C

Greatly done! congrats!

Thanks Benz, Benella, Seeksurf, Alientiki, and Clarita.

I had one of the coolest days yesturday! I had one of my favorite artists at my house helping me out on my latest carve showing me techniques and some chainsaw lessons! Who is this GREAT person? The one and only GMAN! Here are some progress pictures of what when on. I am not taking credit for this as it was mainly GMAN working his magic while I was trying to soak it all in, now hopefully I don't mess it up! It was a real honor to actually have him at my house and I still can't believe he was their. Thanks a lot G, I may have been tired but I had a blast!!!!

Your 1st tiki is incredible and this one is shaping up too... Kudos to you and to Gman for helping you!

ST

Thanks Sneaky!

Here are some better pictures, then time for a nap!

R
Robin posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 3:44 PM

That's looking great...come along way from #1. You are one lucky fellow to have a mentor like G. on site.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 4:23 PM

Hells ya! Why go North of Florida if I'm not gonna cut some wood? Uncle Sam said I had to report to DC for work this week, so I figured I might as well hook up with Craig for a carve-fest. We removed a butt load of wood from this guy and I think Craig will be better able to get his hooks into this rough out than he was gonna with that big old heavy log. That rough out would have been a real stinker to do with chisels only.

Anyway, it was great meeting you and your family. I really enjoyed seeing the finished Tang...it rocks. Next time The G calls me in for business, we'll get together and work some more. Thanks for having me over and driving me back to the hotel. Remember to cut that face/profile back with the slope of the nose :wink: Rock on.

-G

Hey G, can you come over to my house? I have a few logs that need some help.

Looks like a great start. Keep posting progress.

B

I can see already this guy is gonna be a top shelf , awesome piece, Keep posting!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2007 2:47 PM

Well? Where izzit? I figured you would be knee-deep in chips by now?

-G

Thanks Robin, Aloha Station, & Benz for checking him out. G, yesterday I had my face planted in a pillow!!! Got a little light through the arms (really messy & uneven) but I think I can clean this up better than the tang. No carving tomorrow, but full days on Sunday and Monday!!! Gonna get out the angle grinder.

S

Keep the chips flying tikifreak looking good.
You scored on the Gman. Props to Gman.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2007 6:38 AM

All smiles here man! What fun! Keep thinking about symmetry and work slowly; he's gonna be great!. This guy has such a powerful and slouchy look....I love it! I'll be back in touch in a few days...I'm heading out to fill a tag.

-G

1st attempt at a chainsaw rough out! I was trying to learn as much as I could while GMAN was here. I'm attempting a kavakava but I don't think that is going to happen with the way it turned out! I cut WAY to deep on the upper thigh and I forgot that the thing needs arms!! I at least got some practice w/ the chainsaw and I was starting to get the hang of the wedge cuts???

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-10-07 11:48 ]

A

Good start! the KavaKave Moai is one of the ugliest/scariest tikis. With his emaciated, Auschwitz style good looks, ribs showing and the scowl on his face. judging from the size I'm sure this one will be quite impressive. Take your time and keep them blades sharp.
Aloha
E

fixed spelling

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-07 15:20 ]

T

you're braver than me man, i havent attempted a roughout with a chainsaw yet. Pretty good for just tryin it out.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 5:30 AM

Do you have A.D.D. or something? You have to go and start another? He looks good though! Those Kavas are so freaky and skinny looking, I bet you could chip a good one outta there!

Get back to the other guy and quit playing around!

-G

G, I did work on the other guy too, I thought I posted the pics. I just did a little angle grinder but my disc was getting worn out and it wasn't taking much off that one arm so that's when I decided to give the chainsaw a go. I back to the other guy today. I don't think the kava roughout is going to work anyways!!! Thanks for the comments Alien & BigT!!

And yes, I might have a slight case of A.D.D.!!!!

Did a little shaping. Not to much because I want to make sure I'm doing it right!!! I definitely need to take the sides of the butt in!

I'm worried about this!!!

And this too!!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 2:14 PM

Aack! Looks like you have developed a bit of a crack problem. Don't worry, just keep going but be gentle around those areas.

-G

Did a little work on the hands a butt tonight. the right side of the body still needs to be shaved down more!!

J

You are making some good progress :) I think you can still make the kavakava man work out.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 5:10 PM

Very nice Craig! I see you figured the hands out? The more you look....the more you'll "see it." I can't wait to see more. I'm impressed.

-G

B

Hi Tikifreak,

I can see the maori chief emerging from the wood.
The hands will be perfect by seeing the drawing.
Go on this way and you'll be happy as I am by looking at your stuff.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 14, 2007 12:37 PM

Craig,

Any new pics for us? I'm looking forward to an update.....

-G

Been a little busy this past week, so not much carving time! Got a couple of minutes tonight and worked on shaving the hands down a little more, nose, and trying to balance out some of the body better??

Hopefully the new flexcuts that are on there way will be able to get in some of the tighter areas!

Tiki freak you are going to love the flexcuts.
Im just now learning how to keep them sharp.

B

Hi tikifreak,

Flexcuts are a good choice.
Your piece is really coming to life.
To me, the arms are going to be very nice. Will you leave a chisel texture or will you sand them ?

Thanks Seeksurf & Ben. I already had some flexcuts but just the 4 piece set, I just added to my collection. Now I just need to learn how to use them!

I just figured out that I suck at doing noses, and it is even worse to suck with a huge crack down the middle but I think I might be on the right track???? Also, I think I messed up one of the arms and hand I was working on but maybe it just looks weird because everything is not rounded out yet? I believe I still need to shave the face back to flow with the nose but while I was doing this the crack got bigger and felt like the head was going to split in half, so I moved on to something else!

S

I here you. I love that filling when you finally see in your work
what you are trying to carve. Its like ok there it is.

Sometimes at night i dream im making really bad cuts!

He is looking good.

B

TF, it looks like you are getting this guy well under control and he will bend to your wishes. I see you are still Not afraid to go deep and excise unneeded wood to get the look you are after. keep up the good work!

You're on track for a very cool piece... just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be amazed at the results.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies