Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

Thanks guys, but it is nowhere near the real thing! Mine doesn't even look close to the original. Robin have fun at Benz'z house!

........and some updated pics w/ second coat of oil!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 2, 2008 4:30 AM

He looks wikkid Craig! Three or four coats should do it. Let'em dry real well though. I love this piece! The hair put him over the top.

B

WOW, I can't believe how Outrageous this guy turned out! From This

to THIS:

AND, this is What, your SECOND tiki?? Gimme a break! (I need to breathe here!)
Really Spectacular.
I want tiki # 10, I'm putting in my order NOW!

Now thats spooky! This piece looks like it should be sitting behind glass in a Museum in Honalulu.. :o

And youve only made a couple of carvings before?? Wow! If you aim to make each better than the last (which should be every carvers motto), then you are going to quickly become known as a 'must have' carver..

Top chop!

Tama :)

J

Perfect job! A very hard subject, but you pulled it off.

S

Great Job! Whats Next?

Thanks again everybody! Seeks I think I might go the PNG route but I might stop off somewhere else first!?!? Not sure yet, still going through pics! For some reason I'm on a kick of putting on extra stuff on my carving, so if I do do a PNG piece expect tome freaky bird feathers and more shells!!!

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-05-02 16:49 ]

Great work! that is a top notch carving-I really like the hair. that sets it apart and makes it seem real old school.

I bet a PNG by you would be insane! you and congatiki can share trade secrets!

Thanks Polly!!! Debarked PNG #3!!! I think I am going to attempt this freak, but maybe that is a little crazy for me!?!?!

Do any of you PNG guys have any pictures with different angles of this guy or similar style??? If so can you post or send pictures?

Thanks

Hair you go:

Buzzy Out

Oooooooh, thanks buzzy! I like some of those guys better, that's what I needed some feet shotz!!

S

Buzzy nice centerfolds.

Will be cool tikifreak any of them.

It doesnt get much freakier than those! :o Almost beyond Tiki and into Voodoo territory..

Freak on!

T :)

We shall see Seeks! Tama, Freak on! :)

1st chainsaw session, don't know how good it will turn out/ don't really know what I am doing!

Next session I'll attempt to chainsaw the lower body and thin out the arms, then I'll put the angle grinder to him and round out some of the features and cone his head. After that I'll pull out the chisels, if all goes well?

S

Hell ya tikifreak, That's the way to go chainsaw sander and chisels.
Looking Good/.

H
harro posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 7:03 PM

On 2008-05-07 01:06, Tamapoutini wrote:
It doesnt get much freakier than those! :o Almost beyond Tiki and into Voodoo territory..

Freak on!

T :)

Looks like your pets are already frightened of it!! :lol:

great start mate, must be nice getting rid of so much wood so quick with a chainsaw. One day I gotta have a go of one of those things.

Thanks seek and Haro!!! Here is some more for round 2, and then I'm still going back out today and try to define the legs and body? I'm a little worried right now because he won't stand up on his own (a little head heavy) I'm hoping once I start to shave it down he will? G- I need some chainsaw help!!! Am I screwing up this roughout??

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-05-14 12:11 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 14, 2008 12:20 PM

OK, slowdown there hotrod. Put the saw down and step away from the tiki. Now give the saw back to your dad and do the rest with your chizzels. :D I think he looks good. You should have enough meat to get nice legs out of him since he'll need skinny legs. All in all, I think you are fine. Good job! Grab your hand tools and get goin'!!!

I'll tell you how to keep him standing tonight by phone.....

-G

G- I already talked to you, but thanks!! This is it for today. It still looks like poop and still might when I'm done but whatever, I'm still getting used to the chainsaw! I think I can clean up a bunch of stuff with chisels and I still have a bunch of evening out to do and making things more proportioned. I am going to take in the waist line also so it doesn't look like a block!

S

Craig, I'm loving this guy looking good!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 14, 2008 7:35 PM

All smiles here..... :D

B

Ouch !
As afr as I see, I can tell you that the posture of the body and head looks very nice. I can't wait to see progress pix of this guy after a few chisel cuts !

Benjamin.

Thanks Seeks, G, and Benella. Hopefully I didn't take off to much wood, we'll see???

GMAN- thanks buddy! I just got him today and found a nice little spot for him in the living room. You're the man and tell Dr. GWOMAN thanks for shipping it out! I really appreciate it! This Gman old school guy is really cool! Time to go carve!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 15, 2008 12:02 PM

:G$:

J

Man, that is one ambitious project for your third tiki. It is coming along good, G is right, put the saw down for a bit, take a really good look at it and you will see what needs to come off. But so far it is looking pretty good! I can see where you are goin'! I haven't done anything with a saw in while, and this is giving me the bug.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2008-05-15 16:16 ]

Craig,

I just found this thread and wanted to say "hi" from Herndon, VA. I haven't found many people around here that even understand what a tiki is, let alone, carving their own pieces.

I haven't taken the initiative to try myself, I've finally gotten around to buying one. Check it out: http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_141.html I don't have it home yet, but I finally saw it and met Crazy Al at Tiki Caliente last week in Palm Springs.

It's good to know there's more of us around here. Keep up the great work.

-Ted

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 10:44 AM

Craig-O,

How's it going? Howz about some more pics? I wanna see whatcha got goin'....

Hey JohnnyP, Thanks for checkin' in! Yeah, I put the saw down but I think I took too much off? This is going to be a tough one but I thought I would give it a shot.

Machschau- Hi from Woodbridge! Get a log and start whacking at it!!!

GMAN- No progress yet, it's been rainy here pretty much everyday! Hopefully this weekend.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 5:10 PM

Boooooooo!

B

TFreak, Looking Great so far, just Don't take too much off with that big nasty Saw, it's too hard to put back on. From your previous pieces I doubt that will happen, Just Slow down and take it easy, take your time and the tiki will be fine!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 22, 2008 2:08 PM

There's one of these in the Sotheby's catalogue that came online today and though you might like a look. Estimate €400,000-500,000! (that's US$632-790,000 :o )

An exceptional Biwat flute stopper, Yuat River, Lower Sepik, Papua New Guinea

Eddy A. Hof (1914 - 2001) acquired items for his significant collection of Oceanic art from the beginning of the 1950s onwards, primarily from Dutch missionaries who had stayed in New Guinea.

Wusear figures, with their deliberately aggressive features, were used by the Biwat to seal the ends of their large sacred bamboo flutes, which are known as haiyang. These flutes (which are actually resonance chambers, with the player modulating the sound by using his voice and covering the mouthpiece with his fingers) are of great social, ceremonial and religious significance. The carved figures are believed to be the children of the spiritual mother crocodile, Asin, who enabled initiates to be symbolically reborn by swallowing them and then spitting them back out as fully fledged adults (Meyer, 1995: 211). According to Terri Sowell, a distinctive feature of the Biwat's initiation rites was that in contrast with other Sepik groups 'both girls and boys were initiated and gained the right of access to sacred objects and beliefs' (in Friede, 2005, vol. II: 104).

Meyer (ibid.) considers the Biwat's depiction of the human figure to be 'the most powerful and most aggressive of all the art styles of New Guinea'. The Biwat were traditionally feared both for their skill as warriors and for their cannibalism (ibid.). As well as their powerful appearance, these figures present the highest level of elaboration in terms of their conception and decoration. The offered figure is one of the most exceptional examples of its kind, distinguished by the contrast between its powerful appearance and the finesse of its features, the representation of the tortoise carved on the back, and by the richness of its ornamentation.

See Friede (2005: 164-165, no. 137) for a flute stopper from the Jolika Collection in the de Young Museum, San Francisco, which shares the rare and distinctive feature of an animal carved in low relief upon the back.

Yours is looking great so far - the stance/ posture and proportions are spot on!

Good lookin out Paipo!!! I really appreciate the pics, info, and props! Although, I'm not really happy with what I did with the legs on this guy. I put him in more of a squat stance and all the one I have seen have straight little peg legs. It has been rainy here so I haven't worked on it but I checked on it in my shed and it is starting to crack pretty bad. I do have another roughout I did of the same style which I hoping will be better? Pics this weekend, the sun is out!!!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 4:40 AM

if you don't like the rough out, send it to me. I'll finish that bugger

Hi Tikifreak, I think the roughout looks fine and still gives you
plenny wood to shape him up. I love that more primitive style, it's
gonna be cool.

G- when you say stuff like that it pushes me even harder, thanks!!!

Conga- you the man!! Thanks too!

Today's session was somewhat successful, I think?

I started to even things out, put in some facial feature, started to thin him out ( still have a lot of that to do in the arms and other areas), gave him some elbows and patellas (which look like boobies right now) but that's just for the time being! I tried avoiding the legs as much as possible because I'm still thinking about them, but I did shape them a little bit? Obviously the facial features are just roughed out, the nose will hopefully be shaped to fit a tusk through it (if I can pull it off? So far all done by hand.............................................
tools (chainsaw and angle grinder, I need a new disk!) :)

Three day weekend, hopefully a bunch more carving!!!

H
harro posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 3:28 PM

nice wanger!

Ummmm, I guess so? :lol:

No, I gotcha Harro (I think??) Thanks

I dig the guy's expression. Lotsa character for just a few digs,
you are gonna suck a good one out of the wood. Have fun!

B

:o

Nice expression on this guy. It is the start of a beautiful PNG for sure.

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 24, 2008 5:45 AM

Craig-O,

Make sure to leave a high spot for the mouth; don't remove wood there until later. Think of it like the noze....

He looks great!

-G

Thanks again, Conga, Ben-jamin, & G! G, I hear you on the mouth.

Todays session was cut short but I did get him to stand by himself by shaving the back of the base and also removed a bunch of the base (a little sketchy though). I also started to work on his beard and pierced his ears!

Now I need to try to fix this crack before I go any further! G- I'm calling you, pick up the phone!!!!

Well I went ahead and started the repair! I didn't really want to use dowels but it was the only thing I could think of. I'm not even sure if I did it right, I have never done something like this before. Here are some shots of what I did.

First I pre-drilled 1/2 inch holes w/ a paddle bit

Then I cut my 1/2 inch dowels to shorter pieces and glopped the holes with glue and then the dowels.

Then I just Taaaaaped em in, just taaaaaaped em in!

Then I put all the clamps on.

And put one in the head because there is a hairline crack started. I had a crazy idea since I was doing all of this anyway that if I put a foreign object w/ glue that maybe it would hold it and not let the crack get bigger, but maybe I'm on crack?

Hopefully if this turns out okay it will be smooth sailing after it's cured?

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-05-24 20:37 ]

B

WOW, Doc, excellent and thanks for sharing those pix. It's very interesting because I just didn't know what to do with cracks on my logs especially for a oak one that has 3 serious cracks.

Very nice surgery,

Benjamin.

Thanks Benella! I don't know how it will turn out but we'll see. I'm going to let it cure for a couple of days before I get back to it!

I don't know how good this method would be with your cracks? This wouldn't have worked on my last carving w/ the big crack in the face. This new one was pretty much cracked all the way through and I was able to squeeze the two pieces together by hand.

Again, what I did I just thought of in my head! It might not be the best method or even a method at all!

Scored some new logs today!!! I'm really excited about the one on the left. It will be the biggest attempt I have tried yet!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 2:24 PM

:D nice logs! TFreak's got wood....

Just tap it in Happy, just taaap it in......give it the old tapperoo.....

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 6:08 PM

There's no stopping you once you get started on a project....kudos on this new one and the repair.

Thanks Robin! I think the repair worked. There is still a slight gap in the foot but that's as far as it would go clamped and it hasn't moved. It feels pretty solid so I think I will continue. Today I will break out the chisels!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies