Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

B

WOW, a Brand new Shop, I can See Lots of Cool tikis coming SOON!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 24, 2007 6:38 PM

:D

Hey, lets get some wood chips on the floor! That place looks too clean and
neat for this crowd. For example, take a look at Buzzy's carving site.
Toss a couple of chisels on the floor just for effect.

S

Nice setup. I agree with conga mess it up!
Is the mad rush over yet?

R

Might as well hit you up too! Nice room, I hope the next pictures will show the floor covered with chips or something. How is your guy anyway? Is he still black?

The new floor will be dirty soon enough Robin. I got caught up remodeling the rest of my basement and now the new carving room is cluttered with other crap!! I should be back on him soon! I think since I have taken a break from him I will be refreshed and be able to finish him better. Once you go black you never go back Robin, JK!! But yes he is still black (the current status is the picture above). Thanks for checkin in!!!

B

Feels like this place is "tikiless" but I'm sure you will nicely fix it !
Beautiful stuff.

Is G-man O.K for the piece ? :) :) :)

Benjamin.

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-01-27 16:22 ]

B

impressed with all you did !
Your space for your new tikis is top shelf.

Benjamin.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Jan 21, 2008 3:54 PM

Wow! What a lot of work. Looks great. That's going to be a fun place to hang out and contemplate your Tiki carvings. :)

S

Man that place is looking great. You have
got yourself committed to alot of work.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 22, 2008 4:35 PM

watch those open flames......!!!!!

We never use the fireplace, and definitely aren't now!!!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-01-27 16:21 ]

S

That is some Quality looking stuff, Looks Great!

Edited to put basement remodeling in other crafts!!!
[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-01-27 16:21 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-02-10 08:15 ]

Jeeez, it's been so long it took me a minute to find my thread!!! I'm done with my basement (well enough that I can start carving again), so I'm back in the game!! Nothing special but started sanding again and waiting for some new shells I ordered for the eyes.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 3:33 PM

Dude! He is so gnarly! I can't wait to come up and see him again in April. This guy is gonna look so great when you get him done. You've done such a great job on him. The ebony stain is going to look so killer with the oil treatment. I can't wait to see him with hair!

-G$

HOK

Aloha Craig! Can't wait to see the progress on the eyes. I was wondering if you had the hair worked out? A lot of Tikis with hair seem to turn out looking like a doll and a little pluggie. I have a nice carving, but the hair is lacking. The carver used horse hair and had the holes spaced far apart.

I wanted to restore some dignity to this Tiki and fix the hair. What to do?? I noticed the local Savers store would put out alot of wigs during the Halloween season and started to check out their stash. After going through the pile, I noticed some real wigs for cheap! Wigs that must have cost hundreds were only a few dollars. You might ask the sales help if they have wigs in the back if you don't find any.

From this...

To this....

You know what they say...another persons loss...is another Tikis Hair :lol:

Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

Thanks G, can't wait for April!!! Freddie, thank you too!! I am curious to see how the hair turns out also. I already bought some human hair from a salon and hair glue (hoping that works)? As you can see from the pics I am going to attempt the plug approach like the guy you have but I have mine closer together (hopefully) but if not I'll just drill some more. I'm going for the look somebody posted a couple pages back from an original, kinda nappy???

Ohhh, and Freddie.....I just looked back a couple of pages and it was you that posted that picture! Thanks!!

S

Woohoo Right On! This guy has a great body shape.
Man i feel the rework thing. Glad you are back to
working on the carving. I will have to check
the other area for the house pic's

R
Robin posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 8:53 PM

He's coming back out...all that redo is going to be worth it. What's the new plan for the finish?

Did a lot more sanding this weekend, just a little more and I think I'll be ready to stain and put on the hair and the eyes!!! Today was kinda crappy out so here is a little preview.

Ya gotta be droolin' to get er done!

R
Robin posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 5:21 PM

Glad to see you back at it....I think he might have been feeling neglected. :)

B

Good work, man. Good luck for the sanding !

Benjamin.

B

Darn it man you are gonna be done with this Cool guy before you know it. Excellent job so far, Glad you're back at it!

S

Ya, sand sand sand.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 7:14 PM

only a few more weeks....

Hopefully he'll be finished when I swing by?

-G

Bump.

What you back to decorating again?

Thanks guys!!! Seeks, LOL!!! Actually just put on first coat of stain last night. No more pics until it is completely done, which should be next weekend!!!

Finally #2 is done!!! Well except I still have to glue the eyes! Here are some pics of hair progress (didn't even glue, just crammed them in there hard) I tried to dread a couple with wax but I didn't really like it so I yanked em out!!! It made it look not as full and it was really messy. Thanks for everybody who helped and commented. Ohhh and GMAN, it didn't turn out looking black. Sorry! Dark walnut! Now off to the next island!

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-04-15 18:32 ]

S

Yes, he looks Great! The hair is really working good.
Good stain and hair color combo. Nice job bringing him home.
It took some time but you had that incredible remodel
job also.

Nice clean carving T-Freak, and you did a nice job with the hair.
Has a real cool vintage feel to it.
Looking forward to more Virginia tik stuff.

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 16, 2008 5:48 AM

congrats on finishing this one - it was worth the wait!! Brilliant.

its got a museum style feel about it with that freaky hair!

B

WOW Boy, You re-sanded it and I have to say he's amazing now. Very very coool.
Pretty carving my friend, what will you put on ? Oil, clear coat, varnish ... ?

Benjamin.

B

T-Freak, This guy is just plain AMAZING. How did you pull it off man, your SECOND Tiki? I hope I'm still around for your 100th tiki it's gonna be the Bomb!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2008 8:00 PM

This guy looks 100X better in person. I am still so excited after seeing him. Great job Craig!

-G$

Nice work, the hair really makes it pop, Keep them coming.

Peace,

King Bilt

J

Very well done. The hair really makes it look like authentic. I'm looking forward to #3

Thanks everybody!!!!

Yeah, I'm so glad I didn't miss this thread...Came out fantastic!

Very nice, brah. God is in the details, and yours is true to form all the way.

Thanks for the props Surfin' and BK!!!! Getting more logs prepped now!

Hot damn tamale! That's scary as hell but excellent work... looks like a genuine artifake! Keep up the good work.

(I'm gonna use chopsticks on my next project too, dinner!)

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:28 AM

I have to say I was really worried about the hair, but you really pulled it off well. The whole piece is pretty scary looking. No weird voodoo is gonna get past that guy for sure.

hells yeah this guy looks like hes an O.G. tiki all the way put that guy in a museum and i know i wouldnt know he was new..mad props mang!!..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies