Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies

R
Robin posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 7:54 AM

Glad you didn't bail Craig. That never works. It's coming along looking good.

R.

Thanks Robin, aren't you on vacation or something???

R
Robin posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 8:15 AM

House and dog sitting for a good friend in Savannah till near the end of Aug. Not really a vacation...Savannah is a great town though and I enjoy a change of scene...missing my carving though.

R.

Started on the face (still not the depth I want) and worked on the legs & feet.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 5:59 PM

Ah yes, he looks familiar now :) Good job Craig.

-G

Thanks G!

B

Yeah, I Knew there was a god tiki in there waiting to get out!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 5:44 PM

Where izzit?

Just taking a couple of days off! I'm having people over Saturday, so I have been cleaning the layers of dust and pile of wood chips in my basement :)! I'll be back at it Sunday. G, do you think I'm on the right track with this one. Should I change anything before I get further???? My thinking is....... I need to shave down the hips and tuck in the lower legs more, get the chin and neck deeper, shave down the hunch back a bit, go deeper in the eyes/ mouth and then round them out????

Thanks

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 7:43 PM

Craig,

I think you are on the right track. Look carefully at the pics I sent you. I think you might need to open up the area between his legs and keep the wide stance/hips. Also, work to round the butt and improve the transition from his head to his back/shoulders (use the Tang pics for reference). If you take wood from the neck and chin area do it slowly and carfully.

-G

B

Hi Craig,

"the deeper it is, the better it'll look". That's what I think.
I agree with you with the eyes, round them. If it is not as deep as you wanted you'll cut deeper and re-round them.
The beginning is very good, you can't do anything wrong with the piece you carved.

P.S: nice tatoo :wink:

Good luck,

Benjamin.

Thanks for the input G & Benjamin! I did some more work today, mainly digging out more between the legs. I started rounding out the eyes, but I still think I should go a little deeper. I'm just afraid because of the cracks, so I'm going slow w/ that.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 2:37 PM

Hey Craig,

He looks great! Dude, you are a natural. Keep thinking and small chipping. This is a brain excercise. You'll work it all out. Fun isn't it?

-G

B

I agree with G-,
you're going closer and closer to the funniest parts of the work.

Benjamin.

I officially think my "tang" has the biggest ass & smallest wiener!!!

I don't think I should go any deeper on the eyes w/ the crack like that, I'm afraid it's going to take that whole piece out????

I take it's time for a new sanding disc when it starts burning like that????

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 13, 2007 4:33 PM

Yep, get a new disc :wink:

You can narrow his a$$ up a bit by working the lower thighs up into the lower glutes. He looks kinda square down there. He's coming along nicely. Watch that crack - both of them :lol:

-G

R
Robin posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2007 9:22 AM

Hi TF1...been meaning to get back to your carving. When I looked at him, I thought nice stance...he's getting some character...kinda relaxed and confident. If we were in New York, we'd say he has 'moxie'.

Won't comment on his other ahh....err attributes. :lol:

How's he doing anyhow? It's been awhile.

R.

Yeah, I've been sick all last week so I didn't work on it at all. I did a little yesterday but not enough to post. I back on it now though!!!

Thanks

Here is a little bit more. I scooped in some new ears, went deeper on the eyes and mouth, and worked on the body.

now looking at this picture I noticed I need to get the right eye better at the ridge line!!!! I still need to transition the hips into the butt.

Craig

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2007 2:23 PM

Looking great Craig! Keep chippin'! The face is really improved. Sweet!

Thanks G! I might need some advice on the hips and butt. I'm looking at one of the pictures you sent me but I'm still struggling with how to do it. I'm trying to make it have a big scoop at the upper thigh and the scoop down towards the feet so it has a middle ridge, but I don't know how to work it in the backside??? I don't think I explained it that great but you might know what picture I'm talking about?

Craig

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2007 3:56 PM

Craig-O,

Look at these thighs and legs. Hopefully they can help you on your way. They are all different ways at getting to the same result. Calves, thighs, and a butt. If not, give me a call...or..... Airtran has daily non-stops to Tampa - we'll get him fixed up!

-G

Well I went back at it and starting working on the butt and this is what I got so far.... I shaved the top down a bunch to get rid of that big hump and tried smoothing it the hips. still experimenting though. thanks for the pix G! those made me go work on it again.

Some work on the legs and hands today!!! Man I am slow at this!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2007 4:26 PM

Lookin' good Bubba!

A little more on the feet!! Hope you don't mind the play by play, I can't stay off of this thing!!!

I did something risky today, and it might have been a bad move??? I started to hollow out in between the arms and had no real good idea how to do it. Now it will probably take another year to clean this mess up and 100 more progress pix! It will probably be the size of a pendant by the time I am done with it!

I had a blowout in the back of one of the arms so I had to try to match the other one up to it!

Got my first cut too!!!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 22, 2007 4:08 PM

Leather gloves...... :(

Tonight I shaved the butt down to blend into the hips better, took the hands to the side of the belly hopefully making it look bigger eventually, and started going deeper under the chin. I don't even want to touch the arms yet!! And gloves are a great idea! :)

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 5:47 PM

Craig,

Now you are cooking with Crisco! Keep looking at those historical photos and look for all the neat little nuances in each of them. I can see that you have incorporated much of it already! This is an excellent first piece. I admire your intensity and drive. KILLER!

-G

HOly cow!!!! great looking tang!!!! great progress shots, you've matured considerably as a carver just in this piece alone. I love the open parts of the arms and the legs. Keep up the great work!!!!

Just sanded..........my process is kinda screwy, i jump around a lot! Maybe I'll get a system down soon! Got a little carried away on the pix too! Thanks G, & thanks Polynesiac for checking it out and the nice comments!

just to give you an idea how tall it is.

Any suggestions on how to clean up the mess under the arms would be greatly appreciated, or any other suggestions too!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 4:05 PM

Damn Craig! He is looking choice! This has to be the best "first" tiki carving I have seen. Now aren't you glad you didn't do that other one you first drew out?

You can clean up under his arms with some sandpaper wrapped around paint stirring sticks. Start with a heavey grit until his pits are cleaned up and then go to finer papers. I am very impressed and totally stoked that you pulled him off! He's perfect as is. Good show!

-G

Thanks GMAN, you have stuck with me through this whole carving and I really appreciate that! Also, you have given me great advice and opened me up to a whole new world of tikis that I didn't even know about (or knew little about). That paint stick is a great idea and I'm going to try it out this weekend. I don't think there is much more heavy chisel work that I am going to do on him, just cleaning up some lines, evening things out, and some detail in feet, maybe a belly button, fingers, maybe some dots over the eyes? Also, in one of the pictures you sent me, it looks like there is a row of diamond shapes down the arm. I can't really tell though, it has some pattern. I might try or do you think I should just leave that out?

Craig

R
Robin posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 7:08 PM

Way to go TF....looking good. You had a great time with this...and so did I following the progress...can't wait to see the next one.

R.

B

Very very good first carving, tikifreak.
Good luck for the sanding part :lol:

Wil you let it natural or stain it?

What's next ? :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 25, 2007 7:58 AM

"I don't think there is much more heavy chisel work that I am going to do on him, just cleaning up some lines, evening things out, and some detail in feet, maybe a belly button, fingers, maybe some dots over the eyes? Also, in one of the pictures you sent me, it looks like there is a row of diamond shapes down the arm. I can't really tell though, it has some pattern. I might try or do you think I should just leave that out?"

Hell yes! The little stuff is what makes these buggers shine. You may not want to carve the dots and diamonds into him, but paint them on after staining. I have not done this, but others here have - with great results. Search the posts and you will see some great painted details on Tangs and other works.

Also, I think you are right, and might want to do some detail carving on his fingers, toes, winky, and of course, make him a belly button.

SWEET!

-G

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 25, 2007 9:13 AM

DAMNNNNN, thanks for that link!! I actually checked out that thread but only the current stuff which is very cool! I wish I went back further to see that earlier on.

Had a little time while the kiddies were taking a nap! Started smoothing out under the arms (still a lot more sanding though! G, your idea worked great! I added a belly button, and started to shape the wang! I didn't know that could be so complex! I'm off all next week so hopefully I can wrap it up???

Craig

I wish I didn't mess up the back of the arms, they look like twigs but that's all I have to work with now. Maybe they will be alright when I round them out more?

Craig

M

Nice boo boo! Now finish sanding (Don't get over zealous!) Stain, and done! Very nice !

Mahalo

McTiki

new table so I don't have to work on the floor anymore and my inspiration wall and possibly future attempts!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 27, 2007 7:56 AM

Those pics look familiar....... :lol:

Kewl!

-G

B

TFreek, I can't believe how well you are doing with this tiki. On his "re-make" you pulled out all the stops and really turned on the juice. He looks like he will be finished on a Much higher skill level than I thought possible. Very Well done dude!

B

On 2007-08-27 07:56, GMAN wrote:
Those pics look familiar....... :lol:

Kewl!

-G

Yep, I think I received the same ones by e-mail :lol:

Benella- Yeah G is the man for the pics, well he is just the man in general!

Benz- Thanks a million!

McTiki- Thanks! I'm still sanding.

I got a Dremel and I couldn't resist to try it out, also I hope I didn't break the Cardinal rule of carving but I used some wood filler for the cracks ( although I do like cracks in carvings) I just want this one to be as smooth as I can get it!

Just the trial run on the details, still working on them!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 6:46 AM

Yo, Craigo! I'm back from bow-fishing, so give me a call. I would like to talk dremel and rotating bits. I think using some different burs will give you a smoother bottom and better effect. Or, you could use a smallish V-liner and make it really tight. You gots one a those?

Jeeze! Does he look great or what? I am very impressed with your work on this guy. Are you diggin' it? You better be, cause they don't get much better....

Also, careful with the wood filler....as that wood will not be done "moving" for like a year or so. You may need to re-do the filler as he checks further and the gaps open more.

-G

B

On 2007-08-30 16:25, tikifreak1 wrote:
Benella- Yeah G is the man for the pics, well he is just the man in general!

Yeah G- is definitely THE man in general.

Very nice work on your little fellow. I hardly believed it is your first if I hadn't follow all the progress. This Tang is very very good.
As G- said a smallish V-scorp is very useful for carved details as you did on the arms. But an advice: try your hand on another piece of wood before.

Very happy for this piece,

Ben

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 534 replies