Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 497 replies

Has anyone seen this? Voodoo Doughnuts!
http://voodoodoughnut.com/
Anyone from Portland been there?

I've seen a show about that place on Food Network or Travel Channel,
somebody needs to tell them to get their asses down to TO to cash in on the weekend,
:wink:

going to take a nap now, cause Kinny told me too.....
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Okay, I feel like a dork here. Has the schedule for the symposiums been listed yet?
I'm going to be a Host for the Drink Crawl, I haven't picked a time as I don't want to miss a few of the symposiums. Otto? Anyone?

R

Count on 3 for room crawls. Look forward to see everyone again this year.

J

On 2008-06-04 17:15, RedPatti wrote:
Count on 3 for room crawls. Look forward to see everyone again this year.

You should probably post that in the Room Crawl thread if you expect to find yourself on the appropriate list.

yeah a list of symposiums would be nice.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2008 2:23 PM

"Has the schedule for the symposiums been listed yet?"

Otto's asked me to help arrange the symposiums this year, and yes there is no schedule yet. Don't worry, Cheeky, I personally triple-deluxe assure you that there will be lots of time to plan your party.

Otto is locking down all the speakers and times and doesn't want to release the info until it's all rockin'-solid. Which is hard cause we're talking August here! I know about a few of the speakers and they're gonna be superb-yoola.

When Otto has the schedule, he'll put it on the website and I'll post it here too.

Lots of time for CheekyTikiGreenZombie cocktails!

See ya soon.

Cool beans!

TF

We are very excited about TO8. The entertainment looks to be top notch!!!!!!!!!

TG

On 2008-05-30 19:50, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Has anyone seen this? Voodoo Doughnuts!
http://voodoodoughnut.com/
Anyone from Portland been there?

I have been to Voodoo Donut in Portland, and let me tell you it is spectacular! My friend and I were trying to work out how we could get them down here to SF cause I think it would be a huge success!! I got two donuts when I was there: a Memphis Mafia which is this ginormous thing with peanut butter and chocolate and lord knows what else, and some other messy thing with Butterfinger pieces, etc. They were SO good but so huge and sweet and it took me about a week to eat them both!

oh yeah - you can get married there! :)

M

WOW, I cant wait! This is going to be so much fun. I'm really looking forward to the music and movies they are having this year. This is going to be SWANGULO DESIGNS second time attending (vending) here and we had such a great time last year. I cant believe we did not know about this years before. I remember running into Otto last year the day after the event at the hotel with my family and he hinted about the theme and I told him he should get THE CRAMPS to play and he liked the idea but I think he did a great job with the line up. I am carrying on here but I'm exited about this. I just think people should be more pumped up about this event. Cant wait to see everyone...Later.

"Remember me...?"Slumped on a park bench, at the bottom of the social heap, the drunken derelict turns his eyes to the heavens as the first flakes of snow begin to fall. "Remember me? I ordered the blonde,the firebird,the alligator shoes... Sombody's made a terrible mistake.-Tom Waits

[ Edited by: mikefx 2008-06-05 22:56 ]

This is my Bible!

The Zombie Survival Guide is your key to survival against the hordes of undead who may be
stalking you right now. Fully illustrated and exhaustively comprehensive, this book covers
everything you need to know, including how to understand zombie physiology and behavior, the
most effective defense tactics and weaponry, ways to outfit your home for a long siege, and how
to survive and adapt in any territory or terrain.

Top 10 Lessons for Surviving a Zombie Attack

1. Organize before they rise!
  2. They feel no fear, why should you?
  3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
  4. Blades don’t need reloading.
  5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
  6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
  7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
  8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
  9. No place is safe, only safer.
  10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

Don’t be carefree and foolish with your most precious asset——life. This book is your key to
survival against the hordes of undead who may be stalking you right now without your even
knowing it. The Zombie Survival Guide offers complete protection through trusted, proven tips
for safeguarding yourself and your loved ones against the living dead. It is a book that can save
your life.

WITH A SURVIVAL RATE OF 76% TO 86% -- ZOMBIES BRING IT ON!

B

On 2008-06-06 09:31, CheekyGirl wrote:
WITH A SURVIVAL RATE OF 76% TO 86% -- ZOMBIES BRING IT ON!

This is so sad- why must there be such prejudice against the differently-alive? Perhaps we could enlighten people with a seminar on "Zombies- They're Just Like You, Only A Bit More Green."

UNDEAD PRIDE!

:)

B

This will be my first Tiki Oasis. Got the tix, got the rooms- so what should I bring? I've seen helpful guides on how to "survive" events like Comic Con and Burning Man, including lists of helpful items to pack, wear, etc.

Any veterans got suggestions? What's the food situation around there? Should I bring my own likker, glasses, limes?

Thanks!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 10:35 AM

BGal - Zombies aside (and I mean no disrespect to the life-challenged), here's what I'd keep in mind -

1. It's gonna be HOT. Dress light. Bathing suits with a light shirt/dress over top are your best bet.

2. Bring water bottles.

3. Bring an ice chest.

4. Think FUN. Bring something to share with everybody else. Waterguns, shark heads, zombie masks, water balloons, pool floats, custom drinks, strange beers from your neck of the woods, CDs, anything!

5. Bring a digital camera, and a cheapo disposable one for daytime outdoor shots.

6. Hats. Don't get fried.

7. Nighttime wear. Everybody showers and changes for the pm activities.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 10:39 AM
  1. Bring money. Lots of awesome vendors with plenty of awesome stuff.
  1. DON'T PEE IN THE FREAKIN POOL!!!!
  1. Buy a new friend a drink. :)
RR
  1. Also no disemboweling or brain eating in the pool.

[ Edited by: Rob Roy 2008-06-06 11:47 ]

T
  1. Bring an ice chest.

And if possible, stop and fill it with ice BEFORE getting to the hotel. The poor ice machines don't stand a chance during the weekend.

1. Don't forget to bring your Bodyguards
B

On 2008-06-06 10:35, Cammo wrote:

1. Nighttime wear. Everybody showers and changes for the pm activities.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm road-tripping down from the bay area, so I'll pack all this stuff.

For "nigthtime wear", do you mean fabulous evening fashions (smoking jackets, fezzes) or jammies? (Or both?)

I would go with the smoking jackets and fezzes. :D Although if your jammies make you comfortable, hey, roll with it!

1. Snacks/Food

A) Often times Room Service is very slow
B) The Restaurants in the hotel can get crowded
C) If you are drinking -- you'll not want to drive
D) Snacks/Food - Non-perishable if you don't have a fridge in your room

On 2008-06-06 15:07, CheekyGirl wrote:
13) Snacks/Food

Yeah!!! What CheekGirl said. The hotel closed one restaurant last year, and the rest were understaffed. This made it difficult to eat and run to the next crawl room. SO PREPARE IN ADVANCE.

Myke

B

Thanks VERY much y'all. I'm going to start eating now to make sure I have enough body fat to absorb all the rum I'll be uploading.

I'll bring a coffeemaker too, to make sure Mr. BonzoGal is adequately caffeinated! (And a CostCo sized bottle of Advil for the morning after. Speaking of which- I've heard about the room crawl- does any of them have a "morning after" room for Gatorade, Advil, ice-packs and bacon sandwiches?) :wink:

Oh....and most importantly.... DR. Z'Z HANG-OVER CURE!

3 Vitamin B ("Super B Complex"*)
3 Lecithin
3 aspirin

At least 1 full glass of water.

On 2008-06-06 14:19, Jason Wickedly wrote:
I would go with the smoking jackets and fezzes. :D Although if your jammies make you comfortable, hey, roll with it!

Hey! I was planning bringing at least one of my smoking jackets this year. I'll probably bring my meager fez, but may be purchasing a deluxe Fez-o-Rama one this year.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 4:39 PM

Maybe you should come up with a different name for him than "Mr. BonzoGal".

Just a suggestion, y'know. Hey, whatever is cool with vous is cool avec moi.

B

On 2008-06-07 16:39, Cammo wrote:
Maybe you should come up with a different name for him than "Mr. BonzoGal".

Just a suggestion, y'know. Hey, whatever is cool with vous is cool avec moi.

Heh- naaaah, he likes being my trophy husband. :wink:

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 6:16 PM

13) Snacks/Food

Check out http://www.tikioasis.com Beyond the Oasis for restaurant info
There are some good eateries right on Hotel Circle
You can cab or drive prior to drinking

http://www.tikioasis.com/beyond.html

also some folks ordered pizzas to be delivered. This is especially keen for late eats as the restaurant closes fairly early, and room service does take a while unless you pre-order (breakfast!)

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 6:26 PM

On 2008-06-06 15:33, BonzoGal wrote:
Thanks VERY much y'all. I'm going to start eating now to make sure I have enough body fat to absorb all the rum I'll be uploading.

I'll bring a coffeemaker too, to make sure Mr. BonzoGal is adequately caffeinated!

I'm pretty sure every room has a coffeemaker with decent coffee. Most rooms have fridges for your milk and snacks too.

Otto, when is there going to be a schedule for the dj's
and symposiums?

thanks,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-06-10 18:16, Otto wrote:

13) Snacks/Food

Check out http://www.tikioasis.com Beyond the Oasis for restaurant info
There are some good eateries right on Hotel Circle
You can cab or drive prior to drinking

http://www.tikioasis.com/beyond.html

also some folks ordered pizzas to be delivered. This is especially keen for late eats as the restaurant closes fairly early, and room service does take a while unless you pre-order (breakfast!)

May I suggest Adam's Steak and Eggs on the opposite side of Hotel Circle from the Hanalei. Perfect for a hangover recovery breakfast...it's been there since the beginning of time. I remember my mom taking us there when I was a kid. Ruth's Chris (or even Black Angus) it ain't, but cheap steak and a Bloody Mary should cure what ails ya.

TF

Last year the hotel was forward thinking enough to have an outdoor grill going during most of the day. I sincerely hope that is the case this year. Taking advantage of the outdoor grill can save many and numerous headaches with room or restaurant service.

I do hope the hotel staffs up for this thing. I can understand that last year caught them by suprise.

T.F.

What happen to Tiki Oasis myspace page?

J

On 2008-06-17 16:50, TikiTodsmack wrote:

I already have an email in to Otto with the same question.

On 2008-06-06 11:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
9. DON'T PEE IN THE FREAKIN POOL!!!!

Right-o~
That would be a great service to us pool mermaids...

On 2008-06-06 11:47, Rob Roy wrote:
11. Also no disemboweling or brain eating in the pool.

[ Edited by: Rob Roy 2008-06-06 11:47 ]

Ah- well that I cannot guarantee, as mermaids are known to eat humans; even us bar-side pool mermaids...

Marina

No pee-ing OR brain-eating in the pool!!?? But, I already made my reservations!

On 2008-06-06 11:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
9. DON'T PEE IN THE FREAKIN POOL!!!!

I gotta second this. Last year by Sunday the pool was a tad on the salty side.

We noticed the pool was salty as well. Good news, I don't think it was everyone taking a leak in the pool. The hotel keeps a salt water pool.

You'd think it would be more rummy than anything.

And Matt - no bringing the radio with you in the pool again this year.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-06-18 23:18 ]

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 12:02 AM

On 2008-06-17 17:01, JenTiki wrote:

On 2008-06-17 16:50, TikiTodsmack wrote:

I already have an email in to Otto with the same question.

My MySpace page apparently got busted for spamming, aka asking too many people to be friends with you.

It is back up at

http://www.myspace.com/tikioasis_sandiego

I will add new photos soon
please go and sign in
thanks

This is my first Tiki Oasis, can't wait. What should/shouldn't I bring with me?

J

On 2008-06-20 15:05, TikiMango wrote:
This is my first Tiki Oasis, can't wait. What should/shouldn't I bring with me?

Please refer to page 11 of this thread for the answer to your question.

Russell has been busy practicing his drum playing in hopes he can jam with you guys at the Oasis.

• professahhummingflowah wrote:*
    Okonkuluku!

Thanks, Otto, for the kind words!! We're totally looking forward to being at Tiki Oasis and being out in San Diego. In the meantime, check out the new WAITIKI website www.WAITIKI.com, and if you haven't already, learn about Okonkuluku University!

We look forward to meeting friends old and new this summer!

-Prof. Humming Flower & WAITIKI

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 497 replies