Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 497 replies

This information will be announced shortly on the Tiki Oasis site but I thought I would give everyone a heads up.............

Jeff Chenault presents
Sounds for Sophisticated Savages

Exotica researcher Jeff Chenault has become a well-known figure in the Exotica world. His extensive research comes from a lifetime love affair with music and his consummate passion for unusual sounds. For the past two years he has presented his Exotica seminars to enthusiastic crowds at the Hukilau event in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. His ultimate goal is to share, educate and enlighten people with this extraordinary and fascinating form of music.

This year Jeff will present an ever-expanding version of his music seminar. The show will include an introductory overview of Exotica pioneers Martin Denny, Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, and also chronicle more obscure artists such as Eden Ahbez and Jimmy Namaro. As an added bonus Jeff will highlight the career of Hollywood film composer Robert Drasnin. Bob’s quintessential first album Voodoo is considered by many to be a masterpiece of the genre. Bob will also be making a special guest appearance.

Join us for an entertaining and educational journey into the world of Exotica.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Excellent,
thanks Jeff, looking forward to it,

From a Surf Enthusiast and Exotica music part time fan.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Really looking forward to the music seminar...it's sure to be an Oasis favorite. :music:

D

Hi - I'll be DJing the event this year, can't wait!-- ALSO am planning on making avalible a very special limited edition 7" picture disc....it's secret right now but I'll let you know more about it soon...!

AND - if you have a moment, please check out the new Dionysus Records site! http://www.dionysusrecords.com.

See you in August!

Lee

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 1:47 PM

Any chance of hearing more Exotica and classic Hawaiian steel this year around the pool? Or in keeping with the event theme, lots of Harry Belafonte Calypso mixed to perfection?

And way off topic here - is there any reason to play modern club dance music when nobody's even remotely interested in modern club dancing?

And any possibility of getting an active microphone hooked up to the sound system so DJs can announce when Otto's group events are about to happen? Or is that too corny old-school?

I'd be ALL OVER Belafonte Calypso music....

It totally fits the Carribean Voodoo vibe.

Its a throwback sound... it ran parrallel with the 50's-60's timeline of Exotica (to some degree)

Its fun music... its festive sounding...

On 2008-04-10 12:53, DJLee wrote:
Hi - I'll be DJing the event this year, can't wait!-- ALSO am planning on making avalible a very special limited edition 7" picture disc....it's secret right now but I'll let you know more about it soon...!

AND - if you have a moment, please check out the new Dionysus Records site! http://www.dionysusrecords.com.

See you in August!

Lee

Looking forward to some great tunes spun by DJ Lee.

Looking forward to the picture disc too!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I was wondering if the ever-helpful Tiki Centralites could give me some advice. I've been invited to join the artists at the show this year but have zero experience in anything like this, which leaves me with several important questions:

If I can't bring my paintings on the flight, can I safely send my work to the hotel and have it held there?

Is there a time I need to arrive by to start setting up, or someone I need to contact when I get there?

Is the artist's area outdoors, under cover, or out in the sun?

What part of the day do the artists hawk their wares?

What kind of area do the artists have to set up in, a couple of folding tables? Are tables provided? I assume that I'll have to find some way to fly out display gear to put my paintings on.

My wife and I have nearly 2,000 miles to travel and would appreciate any help anyone could give.

Im assuming that you are referring to the vending area at Oasis. Its sunny.. pretty much all of the vendor space gets LOTS of sun during the day.

There are a few vendor spots that are right next to the building that have a little shade in the morning but the sun will pour down on you later.

There is also an indoor vending area that is completely out of the sun AND is air conditioned.. Last year at Oasis we had a serious heat spell and the temperature outside in the vending area was probably over 90 degrees....

If you can rent a canopy.. I would do that. If you can get inside... that might be an easier option for you.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 11:29 PM

On 2008-04-10 13:47, Cammo wrote:
Any chance of hearing more Exotica and classic Hawaiian steel this year around the pool? Or in keeping with the event theme, lots of Harry Belafonte Calypso mixed to perfection?

And any possibility of getting an active microphone hooked up to the sound system so DJs can announce when Otto's group events are about to happen? Or is that too corny old-school?

that is a great suggestion to have a mic. I will make sure one is available to the DJs and they can announce whatever is happening at Oasis as well as whatever tunes they just played!

Also, of course Caribbean and steel drum and Calypso are fair game this year, as well as spooky tunes on Sat to go with the Zombie theme.

As always, DJs are free to play whatever they want but I highly suggest they include at least some vintage Exotica (Baxter, Lyman, Denny)

S
squid posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2008 1:21 AM

Hey Otto-
This may have been asked before, but...
What's the deal on kids' admission to the events? Free? Discount? Full boat?

Thanks.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Apr 12, 2008 2:14 AM

On 2008-04-11 01:21, squid wrote:
Hey Otto-
This may have been asked before, but...
What's the deal on kids' admission to the events? Free? Discount? Full boat?

Thanks.

All kids under 18 are FREE

and there are free kids Mai Tais with only one shot of rum!!!

Just kidding.

There is a kiddie room during the day so parents can go shopping for a few minutes while kids are occupied!!

S

Thanks Otto! Ritalin be damned!

B

This reminds me of the episode of Malcom in the Middle where the older brother and his German cowboy boss decided to babysit the guests' kids while they went on a hayride. The old German guy bought them all hard lemonade (not realizing what "hard" meant) and got all the kids drunk - they were quite managable soon after! I'm thinking something like that could be "arranged!" Just kidding! But DANG! Where was that daycare when I was a kid?!

I'm assuming Kristena(tikitena) and I will be co djing on Sun. afternoon.
hope some of yall hang around by the pool area to check that out.

really looking forward to this years Tiki Oasis.

damn who let all the surf bands in?
musta been the Sneaky Sand Devils from 2 years ago, that broke the floodgates for this to happen.
I'm super stoked.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Is this really sold out!?

TL

Tiki-lee your right there gone!! I need help, anybody have extra tickets. Please PM me. Thank you.

U know whats sucks the most : is im real new to this tiki sceen and i was gonna buy tickets to oasis 8 > 3 weeks ago then i told my self wow august is far away i will wait a month then buy . Wow was i shocked went to site yesterday to purchase tickest all gone : IM TIKI SADDENED WHAT A TIKI BUMMER . I have never attended a tiki event . was gonna be my first . Does anyone know if there will be more tickets and also i wanted to get MUNKTIKIS OASIS 8 * MUG THAT WAS MY GOAL anyone with any onfo on where to get a ticket or maybe someone that will get an extra mug let me know

J

Simmer down now. I just spoke to Otto. The ticketing website is wrong. He's going to look into it and post an update here.

B

I just checked brown paper tickets and all seems to be fine. Not sure where your problem was buying tickets. If you can e-mail me off list I can try and figure it out.

Thanks!
BABY DOE
TIKI OASIS

O
Otto posted on Sat, Apr 19, 2008 3:48 PM

We figured out the glitch and it is fixed. There are plenty of tickets right now. But get em while they are still available!

cheers
Otto

TT

On 2008-04-18 14:47, tiki-lee wrote:
Is this really sold out!?

I just shit myself...
better get cracking on that...

Hi Otto and Tiki Room,

I joined Tiki Central today and I really should have introduced myself in the Introduction Forum first before posting here. ( I will introduce myself there and of course why I enjoy all things Tiki ).

I am in the process of getting my passport renewed and hope that in a few weeks time I am able to book a trip to San Diego for August; I shall be travelling on my own for about 8 -9 nights (and would love to meet new people and meet some San Diegans or anyone especially those who are into Tiki.

I am 26 years old and have never travelled by myself before and its something I want to accomplish - I never took a gap year when I was at uni to travel and backpack so this is I guess my chance to travel on my own and meet interesting people.
I am from the UK and ideally would love to attend this event.

My areas of concern is do solo travelers come to this event and have they been well recieved in the past? There is nothing like this in the UK so this really seems like a lot of fun.

How many people turn up or do you estimate to turn up?

Miss Darko

TT

On 2008-04-24 15:12, Miss-Darko wrote:
Hi Otto and Tiki Room,

I joined Tiki Central today and I really should have introduced myself in the Introduction Forum first before posting here. ( I will introduce myself there and of course why I enjoy all things Tiki ).

I am in the process of getting my passport renewed and hope that in a few weeks time I am able to book a trip to San Diego for August; I shall be travelling on my own for about 8 -9 nights (and would love to meet new people and meet some San Diegans or anyone especially those who are into Tiki.

I am 26 years old and have never travelled by myself before and its something I want to accomplish - I never took a gap year when I was at uni to travel and backpack so this is I guess my chance to travel on my own and meet interesting people.
I am from the UK and ideally would love to attend this event.

My areas of concern is do solo travelers come to this event and have they been well recieved in the past? There is nothing like this in the UK so this really seems like a lot of fun.

How many people turn up or do you estimate to turn up?

Miss Darko

Hi miss Darko and welcome..
In 2006 I fist travelled to the USA and attended my first Tiki Oasis, I travelled alone but had some contacts and the only person I had actually met was Shag.
99% of people were super cool though i was accused of putting on a fake Australian accent once... you may not be so lucky because nobody likes poms(kidding)
I would be happy to introduce you to the folks I know and can give you some tips on backpacking in Sandiego and LA as I have done it twice before this trip, you will have a blast (and a hangover) thats for sure..
Cheers..
Tiki Trav

QUOTE**
Hi miss Darko and welcome..
In 2006 I fist travelled to the USA and attended my first Tiki Oasis, I travelled alone but had some contacts and the only person I had actually met was Shag.
99% of people were super cool though i was accused of putting on a fake Australian accent once... you may not be so lucky because nobody likes poms(kidding)
I would be happy to introduce you to the folks I know and can give you some tips on backpacking in Sandiego and LA as I have done it twice before this trip, you will have a blast (and a hangover) thats for sure..
Cheers..

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

That very kind of you - I am actually gonna try and stay in a hotel near in Mission Valley so when I say back packing I guess
its not THAT rough- wow its late over here and lack of sleep and food and some pot (not necessarily mine) has left me pondering what backpacking is exactly do you actually need a back pack??!!!

But yes I digress any advice is much appricated and ta for making me feel welcome.
I am not your typical pom lol my teeth are ok for being born and raised in Britain!

Oh but what a contact to have when you say the "ONLY person I had actually met was Shag"!

A hangover and a blast what else can a girl want!

Question:

Could you please tell me if you have had many solo travelers your fine sounding Tiki Oasis event?

Miss Darko

[ Edited by: Miss-Darko 2008-04-24 16:33 ]

TT

I highly recommend staying AT the event.. the parties kick on till all hours and no doubt you will buy a bunch of crap and its good to be able to drop it somewhere secure and also shower and stuff after crusing the pool etc...

I am in San Diego for 6 months with my girlfriend about 1o minutes away but still gonna hook up a room. The first time i had my own room and was kind pricy for one person but the mighty pound will help you a little there,
The second time I shared with a mate..

I guess not many Backpackers would even know about it so there is not really a backpacker share room or anything but who knows.. It's probably better that they dont know...lol and i figure most local people travel in at least 2's but don't worry about that.. I have found the tiki community to be incredibly hospitable, friendly and generous, you will make a bunch of new friends.

C

On 2008-04-24 17:02, Tiki Trav wrote:
I highly recommend staying AT the event.. the parties kick on till all hours and no doubt you will buy a bunch of crap and its good to be able to drop it somewhere secure and also shower and stuff after crusing the pool etc...

I live 3-4 miles away and I book a room at the event. It is half the magic, staying there! Plus then there are no worries about driving home or catching a cab.

This year I booked on the first day and requested a balcony room, fingers crossed I got a "party room" this year!

O
Otto posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2008 9:40 PM

Question:

Could you please tell me if you have had many solo travelers your fine sounding Tiki Oasis event?

Miss Darko

I can't really say how many solo travelers attend Oasis but i can say it is not hard meeting people, you are starting off in the right place, and there will be a singles meeting/event within the Tiki Oasis event TBA.

Staying at the hotel is paramount. Cancel your other hotel reservation. If you absolutely cannot stay at the Crowne Plaza then stay at the Motel 6 next door. It is a long walk but no other hotels are walking distance. You will have to take a cab or drive which is a huge drag.

hey what was up again with the carvers getting a booth, im down to pitch some dough to share a table.
Also i know ive asked before, but where do i sign up to volunteer again otto? thanks

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 4:21 PM

Hey Thomas don't sweat it, there will be carving happening everywhere this year.

The San Diego Tiki Choppers are gonna be out and about, I'm thinking of having a Chop-A-Thon contest where everybody (and I mean ANYBODY who wants to) gets a log and the starting gun goes off and BAM you have exactly 1 hour (or 2 hours with a 10-minute break in the middle?) to carve a Tiki. Audience votes on the winners, we could have categories like "Ugliest","Most Tiki-like" and "Sexiest" and we can auction off the results el cheapo at the end.

We should also do some regular classes, a few times a day, in carving basics. We'll set some chairs up in the shade this year, we won't be in the parking lot but should be under a nice tree.

Anybody who wants to try carving, just ask around. We'll help ya out.

Are chainsaws allowed? If so I am in. Tiki Stan...

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 10:03 PM

I'd like everyone here to be aware that the fabulous WAITIKI from Boston will be playing Tiki Oasis 8 on Friday night. They are not up on the Oasis website yet but they are confirmed. It will be their first west coast appearance so I want you to treat them well.

WAITIKI is the best new Exotica band in the world right now. Don't miss their set, tell all your friends!

http://waitiki.com/

http://www.myspace.com/waitiki

[ Edited by: Otto 2008-05-08 22:51 ]

J

Oooohhh!!!! I've heard such good things about them! A little birdy also told me they're kinda hot, so this should be fun! :wink:

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 6:06 AM

Waitiki sounds fantastic, thanks Ottooski.

No chainsaws allowed, this is all classic islander-style chisels only, we don't want the nice people getting woodchips in their eyes. (That's happened!)

You can rough out a log with a chainsaw first, though, away from the event, and bring it in all prepped up.

wow cool deal,
kinda funny that That Waitiki is coming here,
and tikiyaki is going East for Hukilau.

maybe next year Tikiyaki for Oasis 9 hint hint
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

waitiki? killer! friday night is gonna be such a good show, i cant wait for the oasis!

Okonkuluku!

Thanks, Otto, for the kind words!! We're totally looking forward to being at Tiki Oasis and being out in San Diego. In the meantime, check out the new WAITIKI website www.WAITIKI.com, and if you haven't already, learn about Okonkuluku University!

Also, going to Youtube.com and searching for okonkuluku is a great way to get acquainted with the band and some of our antics.

We look forward to meeting friends old and new this summer!

-Prof. Humming Flower & WAITIKI

C

Did tickets to the event sell out last year? I already have my room and tickets booked and paid for but i have friends who are slacking on getting their tickets. I know there is a chance rooms will go away before they get off their lazy butts but what about the actual armbands, can those wait till last minute?

We bought our tickets on the Wednesday before the event last year. Not saying that that is the best idea however, by that time all the rooms were sold out and we had to stay at the Holiday Inn on the other side of Hotel Circle. You miss a lot of fun, not to mention most of the vendors not staying at the hotel.

On 2008-04-28 16:21, Cammo wrote:
The San Diego Tiki Choppers are gonna be out... I'm thinking of having a Chop-A-Thon contest where everybody (and I mean ANYBODY who wants to) gets a log and the starting gun goes off and BAM you have exactly 1 hour (or 2 hours with a 10-minute break in the middle?) to carve a Tiki...

I must admit, at first I thought an inebriated high speed razor sharp tool contest was a terrible idea, and I mean terrible like right up there with filling Zeppelins with Hydrogen, but, heh heh, that Cam's just too dang charming. Besides, the first accidental teenage evisceration could win a flexcut band-aid and the phone number of Cammo's lawyer (maybe both)... heck, I dunno you can always work out the minor wrinkles later, but I say full speed ahead!

BTW, Is it true that The Carvers Front of San Diego and The San Diego Carvers Front will both be in attendance? Should Otto also vocally discourage the wearing of carver gang colors?

M

I heard an ugly rumor that the last day of the event was "not" going to be open to the public. Is this true? Isnt this the whole point of getting new TikiPhiles involved? Not to mention, help the vendors get there "stuff" sold? Please advise...somebody...anybody

J

Wow, that IS an ugly rumor, and I believe it's a false one. You should PM your question to Otto. He is the organizer of the event and can give you the most accurate answer.

On 2008-05-16 10:21, mikefx wrote:
I heard an ugly rumor that the last day of the event was "not" going to be open to the public. Is this true? Isnt this the whole point of getting new TikiPhiles involved? Not to mention, help the vendors get there "stuff" sold? Please advise...somebody...anybody

Remain calm. All is well.

Thursday's seven to midnight meet & greet @ Bali Hai is Free & open to the public. This is always a blast and has a slightly different energy than the Hanalei events.

Not to be missed.

Sunday is also open to the public from ten to four. From eleven to one thirty there are back to back symposiums by Bosko and Otto respectively with chopping, shopping, bopping and general shenanigans all day.

Also not to be missed, and I personally promise more than enough Aloha Spirit Total Immersion to turn you into a raging tikiphile till death, or longer. -Hodaddy

Woo hoo!
I have now bought a Tiki Oasis Deluxe Pass Ticket and a Fri and Sat night stay at the Crowne Plaza.

Can someone please let me know when and where the check in registration would be in order to get the Tiki Oasis Wristband,
would it be the Crowne Plaza on Fri or the Bali Hai on Thurs (which I am not 100% I can attend)?

Miss Darko
=x=

O
Otto posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 12:17 AM

On 2008-05-17 03:51, Miss-Darko wrote:
Woo hoo!
I have now bought a Tiki Oasis Deluxe Pass Ticket and a Fri and Sat night stay at the Crowne Plaza.

Can someone please let me know when and where the check in registration would be in order to get the Tiki Oasis Wristband,
would it be the Crowne Plaza on Fri or the Bali Hai on Thurs (which I am not 100% I can attend)?

Miss Darko
=x=

Registration is both at the Bali Hai on thursday as well as at the Hanalei (aka Crowne Plaza) on Fri and Sat

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this,
I hope the bad economy isn't going to keep people away.
I think its gonna be one of the best years yet.

of course I could be biased with all the great band that Otto had booked.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-05-29 09:52, bigtikidude wrote:
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this,

It's 77 days away, maybe when it's 70 days away people will start talking about it. :roll:

the BUZZ will get louder after Hukilau......
take a nap and come back later....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 497 replies