Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 497 replies

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2008 6:30 PM

On 2008-07-15 22:30, TikiPug wrote:
How's the symposium list coming? It was supposed to be up today, if I recall

OK, I will post the list and times of Symposiums but am still working out launching the ticket sales so you willl not be able to buy the tix

T

how about a list of vendors and where we will be at?

Weird, went to my local privately owned liquor store -- they stopped carrying VooDoo Rum.
Went to BevMo, they discontinued carrying it as well -- it's a conspiracy!

T

On 2008-07-17 18:30, Otto wrote:

OK, I will post the list and times of Symposiums but am still working out launching the ticket sales so you willl not be able to buy the tix

...waiting with anticipation

On 2008-07-18 10:24, TikiPug wrote:

...waiting with anticipation

Ditto!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jul 21, 2008 12:48 AM

see Cammo's comments below

[ Edited by: Otto 2008-07-22 21:33 ]

C

Otto sent me the Martian Zombie Decoder Ring for the above information, and here it is:

Saturday Afternoon: Symposiums, Kiddie Rec Room & Signings

• Deluxe Pass holders get VIP entrance to all the symposiums

Saturday - 10am-4pm
Kiddie Rec Room, tiki crafts and fun!
THE PARADISE ROOM

Saturday - 12 noon - 1pm
Sounds for Sophisticated Savages: A Survey of Exotica Music by Jeff Chenault and Q&A with Robert Drasnin
THE KONA COAST ROOM
PRICE: $8

Saturday - 1pm - 2pm
"The Sophisticated Misfit" DVD signing with director Mark Chervinsky & SHAG
HOTEL LOBBY
PRICE: FREE

Saturday - 12:30 - 1:30
Burlesque as it Was Tahitian Dance Class
GRAND PACIFIC ROOM
PRICE: $5

Saturday - 2pm - 3:45pm
1:45 - Pre-Seating for Deluxe Pass holders!!
The Undead Cocktail: Understanding the Zombie and Why Three Rums are Better Than One: Martin Cate
THE KONA COAST ROOM
PRICE: $25

Saturday - 4pm- 5:30pm
Look Like a Zombie Make-Up Class: Melissa Retro Diva
GRAND PACIFIC ROOM
PRICE: $25

Saturday - 4pm - 5:30pm (signing 4pm-4:45, Q & A 4:45 - 5:30pm)
Sven Kirsten "Tiki Modern" Book Signing
HOTEL LOBBY

Sunday Afternoon: Symposiums & Uke Jam

Sunday - 10:00 - 11:00am
Tiki Trek: The Search for Tiki Modern Architecture in San Diego; Speaker Alex Bevil
GRAND PACIFIC ROOM

Sunday - 11am - 12 noon
How to Become a Professional Tiki Artist: An Inside View of the Early Days of the Tiki Revival: Bosko
GRAND PACIFIC ROOM

Sunday - 1:30pm - 3:00pm
Iuka Grogg's Ukulele Fantasy Camp
Tiki Atrium West

Jeff Chenault with Robert Drasnin
Sounds for Sophisticated Savages: A Survey of Exotica Music and a Q&A with Robert Drasnin

Exotica researcher Jeff Chenault has become a well-known figure in the Exotica world. His extensive research comes from a lifetime love affair with music and his consummate passion for unusual sounds. For the past two years he has presented his Exotica seminars to enthusiastic crowds at the Hukilau event in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. His ultimate goal is to share, educate and enlighten people with this extraordinary and fascinating form of music.

This year Jeff will present an ever-expanding version of his music seminar. The show will include an introductory overview of Exotica pioneers Martin Denny, Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, and also chronicle more obscure artists such as Eden Ahbez and Jimmy Namaro. As an added bonus Jeff will highlight the career of Hollywood film composer Robert Drasnin. Bob's quintessential first album Voodoo is considered by many to be a masterpiece of the genre. Bob will also be making a special guest appearance.

Join us for an entertaining and educational journey into the world of Exotica.

Bosko
How to Become a Professional Tiki Artist: An Inside View of the Early Days of the Tiki Revival.

Show and tell with artist/sculptor/mug-maker/carver/Tiki historian Bosko whose trail-blazing career spans over two decades of Polynesian Pop's resurgence. This talk will have an emphasis on his own carvings as he chronicles the development of his unique style of Tiki sculpture, what his influences were, technical hurdles which had to be overcome and more. Bosko will "talk story" about growing up in the epicenter of America's Tiki movement that was 1960s Los Angeles ... to Tiki's dark days in the eighties when all had forgotten the movement, and Bosko became the first to bring back the lost art of Tiki carving and producing Tiki mugs, eventually designing the first new Tiki bar in the U.S. after Tiki's downfall, Taboo Cove in Las Vegas ... right up to the vibrant Polynesian Pop scene of today. Tiki Modern author Sven Kirsten calls Bosko "the pioneer of the Tiki revival."

Martin Cate
The Undead Cocktail: Understanding the Zombie and Why Three Rums are Better Than One.

Go deep inside the mind of Don The Beachcomber to discover why the Zombie is such a great drink, and learn the secrets to making exotic cocktails at home. Discover the balance of ingredients & techniques that will make your drinks stand out at your next Zombie party- your guests can't live on brains alone! And learn how to balance diverse rums to create exciting new taste profiles that will make your original creations the talk of the graveyard. Plus, tastings, hands-on fun, and lots of surprises. Don't miss it!

Alex Bevil
Tiki Trek: The Search for Tiki Modern Architecture in San Diego
A prominent member of San Diego's leading architectural preservationist group, SOHO (Save Our heritage Organization) and Historian for California State Parks, Alex gives whirlwind introductory tour of San Diego's Tiki/Nautical Modern style architecture, primarily around Mission Bay/Shelter Island, but expanding out to Oceanside and Spring Valley. Alex' preservationist/historian background allows him to include historic details about sites such as: when they were built, who designed them, who owned them, etc.

wow lots of killer symposiums goin on there.
its gonna be tuff to get the drinking and learning and shoppin all in, in one day.

I was about to post something about being more efficient and barfing in your shopping bag during the symposiums, but then I didn't want people to get the impression that's something you'd do Jeff :)
Who loves you?

When are folks arriving?
I was driving in on Wednesday for a "chill day" before all the events.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 6:42 PM

*Martin Cate
The Undead Cocktail: Understanding the Zombie and Why Three Rums are Better Than One. *

I've been waiting for this seminar my entire life.

On Saturday at 1:45 if I accidentally slip on a wet towel around the pool and fall, hit my head and go unconscious, don't take me to the emergency room -

Wheel me to this FREAKIN' SEMINAR!

On 2008-07-22 12:27, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I was about to post something about being more efficient and barfing in your shopping bag during the symposiums, but then I didn't want people to get the impression that's something you'd do Jeff :)
Who loves you?

Me Barf, nah, never,
and if I did, I would never brag about it.
:)
that would be unsophisticated, and Tiki is all about sophistication.
jut look for pics of last years. Sat night Shenanigans with Bamboo Ben, and others in the Lobby. Now that's Highfalutin fun.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-07-22 17:04, CheekyGirl wrote:
When are folks arriving?
I was driving in on Wednesday for a "chill day" before all the events.

TofuJoe & I won't be arriving until Thursday, but we are staying over until Monday. Breakfast at The Waffle King, anyone?

On 2008-07-22 18:42, Cammo wrote:
*Martin Cate
The Undead Cocktail: Understanding the Zombie and Why Three Rums are Better Than One. *

On Saturday at 1:45 if I accidentally slip on a wet towel around the pool and fall, hit my head and go unconscious, don't take me to the emergency room -

YOU AND ME BOTH!

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 12:09 AM

On 2008-07-22 18:42, Cammo wrote:
*Martin Cate

Wait a minute - you are WORKING that seminar! That's the beauty of Tiki Oasis, you can drink while you work!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 6:34 AM

Otto Says -
"Wait a minute - you are WORKING that seminar! That's the beauty of Tiki Oasis, you can drink while you work!"

My best work is done sipping Zombies poolside.

[ Edited by: Cammo 2008-07-24 11:32 ]

Thayer and Scott, we would love to have breakfast at the Waffle House! Breakfast is Sean's favorite meal. We come in on Thursday and leave on Sunday. We are driving so we can drive if it's far afield. Let us know when and we are there!

On 2008-07-24 08:28, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Thayer and Scott, we would love to have breakfast at the Waffle House! Breakfast is Sean's favorite meal. We come in on Thursday and leave on Sunday. We are driving so we can drive if it's far afield. Let us know when and we are there!

My bad, it's actually called The Waffle Spot, not Waffle House or (as I mistakenly called it) Waffle King, although the waffle character isThe Waffle King.

And I was talking about how we do this traditionally on Monday morning, for those who stay over Sunday night and then head home. Maybe 2009?

If you cant find a date for the Voodoo Zombie Island Tiki Oasis try this:

http://www.zombieharmony.com/

Yay! Can't wait--I'm volunteering again this year!! Love it!!

I went down to KCR to check out the surf side iV on clint beachwoods radio show, and after their set clint did a little interview with me, i did a little add for tiki oasis saying the dates and such

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 1:05 AM

On 2008-07-24 18:45, tikithomas08 wrote:
I went down to KCR to check out the surf side iV on clint beachwoods radio show, and after their set clint did a little interview with me, i did a little add for tiki oasis saying the dates and such

Maybe Clint would like to interview one of the local bands that are playing?
Zombie Surf Camp, Monsters from Mars, Creepy Creeps, Sultry Savage Burlesque, Hell on Heels Burlesque?

also, don't forget, f you live in the Los Angeles area or if you have a connection to the WWW you can listen to this:

Tune in to KXLU 88.9 fm Los Angeles or online at http://www.live365.com/stations/kxlu1
http://www.kxlu.com
Tuesday, July 29 from 11 to midnight
for an interview with Norman, leader of The Ghastly Ones who headline Tiki Oasis on Saturday August 16

Otto is now ready and the tickets for the Symposiums are now on sale! Head on over to http://www.tikiblog.com for more info.

J

If we already have the $140 VIP tickets, do we still need to "reserve" tickets to the symposiums of our choice? Or do we just show up?

Besides the "no peeing in the pool" thing, do you think we could maybe get a "no Kanuk" clause as well?

As you can see, that's Camm Macmillan, filthying up the pool with his Canadian ass. I heard there was a Maple Syrup slick that took the hotel two weeks to clean out of the pool!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 4:53 PM

"Camm Macmillan"

Hey, if yer gonna insult me, at least spell the name right!

I asked the nice hotel staff lady where the bathroom was, and she pointed to the big blue bathtub outside.

• Cam MacMillan
O
Otto posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 7:08 PM

On 2008-07-25 09:57, JenTiki wrote:
If we already have the $140 VIP tickets, do we still need to "reserve" tickets to the symposiums of our choice? Or do we just show up?

VIP ticket holders will be able to line up first and get into the Drink Symposium and the Exotica music symposium prior to general admission.

Once the VIPs are in the remaining ticket holders will be let ni and then any seats available will be sold to anyone waiting outside the doors

Follow link for info on the " Kids Chill Out Room" at TO 08.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=17&38295

So how long ago did the V.I.P. tickets sell out :( ZZzzzZZzzz crap

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 4:21 PM

On 2008-07-27 00:47, Hiphipahula wrote:
So how long ago did the V.I.P. tickets sell out :( ZZzzzZZzzz crap

about two weeks ago
(we only sold 100 of them)

I

Still have room. Whom ever needs a place to stay at the hotel but as of yet can't find one. We have space available... Ie: bed (maybe) floor, balcony, bathroom and or closet. Sorry bathtub has been taken. Privacy? What do you think?

contact me for more details.

make your reservations now for floor space for 2009!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2008-07-28 23:51 ]

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2008 9:25 PM

On 2008-07-28 23:50, IKABOD wrote:
Still have room. Whom ever needs a place to stay at the hotel but as of yet can't find one. We have space available... Ie: bed (maybe) floor, balcony, bathroom and or closet. Sorry bathtub has been taken. Privacy? What do you think?

contact me for more details.

make your reservations now for floor space for 2009!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2008-07-28 23:51 ]

BTW
we only have about 30 rooms left at the hotel
I am already making plans for an overflow hotel as I know we will sell out so Ikabod's offer is a good one!

C

For stupid people, how can we figure out how many days we booked and if have bought tickets for events!

Are the mugs sold out?

Someone who knows what's going on puleeze? No time for 16 pages! Make that 19 pages!

Thanks

[ Edited by: cyntiki 2008-07-30 12:36 ]

On 2008-07-30 12:35, cyntiki wrote:
For stupid people, how can we figure out how many days we booked and if have bought tickets for events!

Are the mugs sold out?

Someone who knows what's going on puleeze? No time for 16 pages! Make that 19 pages!

Thanks

[ Edited by: cyntiki 2008-07-30 12:36 ]

The Room Reservations & Event Tickets are seperate this year. If you booked you're room you should of received a Room Reservation Confirmation and the same for your Event Tickets.
Here's the website to book the rooms & tickets:
http://www.tikioasis.com/room.html

1st Time ever at Tiki Oasis can't wait......"Yeah Baby"

On 2008-07-25 16:53, Cammo wrote:
"Camm Macmillan"

Hey, if yer gonna insult me, at least spell the name right!

I asked the nice hotel staff lady where the bathroom was, and she pointed to the big blue bathtub outside.

• Cam MacMillan

Typical CaM......Correcting my spelling without apologizing for the maple slick........

Aloha Tiki King! I love the awards you made for last year. I want to make sure to enter my room for the "Best Decorated" competition. Is there a sign-up sheet for this? I've already signed up to have a room/drink party on Saturday afternoon, for all to visit and partake in my specially themed cocktail creation, with matching ambiance. Let me know!

TK

I am guessing it will be at the hotel, as we need to know what room you are in! Otto can provide insight here, I believe...I hope to have some sneek peeks of this years trophies up soon. I have been in the spooky Tiki trophy workshop all week...

B

There are still a handful of slots open for those interested in Volunteering for Tiki Oasis 8!

The New Tiki Oasis 8 Volunteer Group is the only place to get the most up-to-date info on volunteer opportunities, check the schedule, manage your shifts and have some fun in the meantime. Follow the instructions to join today so you don't miss an exciting update!

to join the Volunteer group or invite friends, go here:
http://groups.google.com/group/tiki-oasis-volunteers

We've already started posting shifts so take a look at the "TIKI WIKI - How to Volunteer" under the DISCUSSIONS section for help on what to do. There are still some great volunteer opportunities available and there are always new ways to get involved as the event get closer.

Note: We retired the coconut hotline last year and got dis new fangled Google machine. The idea was to automate the process so ol' Hukilau can spend less time on computah and mo time drinkin' da Mai Tai! So far she workin' good!

Any technological oddities or questions, you can still reach our Volunteer Coordinator the old fashioned way at:
[email protected]

T

Will there be a shuttle bus from the hotel to the Bali Hai on Thursday night? If so, how does it work? Just hop on or do you need to buy a spot in advance?

On 2008-07-24 12:18, johnnievelour wrote:
If you cant find a date for the Voodoo Zombie Island Tiki Oasis try this:

http://www.zombieharmony.com/

:lol: That is great....so good to know that is available. e-Harmony be damned.

WAITIKI's SPECIAL GUESTS FOR TIKI OASIS!

As you know, WAITIKI is making its West Coast debut at Tiki Oasis on Friday, August 15... and we're going to do it with some help from some of our special tiki friends!

• Never-before-performed Exotica flute duos (two flutes for the price of one) by The Mayor of Exotica and the Bay Area's own Shrunkenin Skulloma

• Enjoy the sultry sounds of Ms. Helenini's fiddle!

• See and Hear the Yma Sumac-like voice of Miss Sherry Shaoling... If you have the "Rendezvous in Okonkuluku" album, you've seen Sherry (she's our gorgeous cover model), but unless you went to the Hawaii Music Awards in 2006, you haven't heard her sing with WAITIKI! Get your CD cover autographed by her!

Looking forward to meeting you at the show! We'll back up Bob Drasnin later that evening also, so stick around....

Okonkulukully Yours,

Prof. Humming Flowah of WAITIKI

WAITIKI: Exotic Tiki Entertainment From Polynesia & Beyond
Videos, MP3s, and More at http://www.waitiki.com

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2008-08-02 18:58 ]

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2008-08-02 18:59 ]

OMG Zombie Harmony dot com...that is amazing ....that is f---ing hilarous

O
Otto posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 11:24 PM

On 2008-08-02 18:56, professahhummingflowah wrote:
WAITIKI's SPECIAL GUESTS FOR TIKI OASIS!

• Never-before-performed Exotica flute duos

• Enjoy the sultry sounds of Ms. Helenini's fiddle!

• See and Hear the Yma Sumac-like voice of Miss Sherry Shaoling

That's not all! In a truly amazing showing of Exotica ohana, Randy's family is flying out from Hawaii to see this show!?! Please make their trip worthwhile by being quite during WAITIKI's songs, showing your support by screaming your lungs out between songs, and inviting the band and family to your swank room party Friday night!

[ Edited by: Otto 2008-08-03 23:25 ]

D
DJLee posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 7:30 PM

Hi!
Posting this for Heather Watts - she's looking forward to seeing everyone this year.

HEATHER WATTS Original Velvet Paintings For Sale at “Tiki Oasis” Tiki Weekender in San Diego

Public Tiki Market Date (free admission): August 17, 2008
Event Dates for Ticket holders: August 14-17, 2008
Tickets and Event Information: http://www.tikioasis.com

Canadian artist Heather Watts is set to exhibit her first major series of black velvet tiki paintings at the Tiki Oasis Tiki Market, August 16-17 in San Diego California. In her new works, Watts abandons the detail-rich realm of visual storytelling to pay simple homage to the aesthetic of tiki. With her characteristic use of color and illumination, Watts renders her pop-Polynesian characters in stark contrast to their rich black backgrounds.

Watts has exhibited velvet work at shows in London and Amsterdam, as well as M Modern Gallery’s recent fifth Anniversary Tiki show. She has participated since 2004 in the Tiki Oasis Tiki Market, which annually welcomes hundreds of Tikiphiles to browse some of the best carvings, art and merchandise the tiki world has to offer. Watts’ booth will also include prints, a selection of jewelry and accessories from Classic Hardware, and a brand new limited edition picture disc release from Dionysus Records featuring the music of Robert Drasnin and art by Heather Watts and SHAG.

Heather Watts’ artwork has been exhibited in galleries from California to Florida, and Vancouver to Berlin including The Shooting Gallery, M Modern Gallery (Palm Springs), Roq la Rue, Strychnine (Berlin), JEM Gallery, Copro/Nason and Harold Golen Gallery. Her first solo show was held at M Modern Gallery, Las Vegas, in May 2007. Her work was also featured on the cover of Tiki Magazine in the winter of 2007/08.

Other upcoming shows and events including work by Heather Watts:

HONEYTRAP – on now till August 10, 2008, Strychnine Gallery, Berlin
DENVER MODERNISM SHOW - Aug 15 - 17 2008, National Western Complex, Denver
“VOODOO” PICTURE DISC SIGNING with Bob Drasnin – August 22 6 – 8 pm, La Luz de Jesus, Los Angeles.

"Emerald Canoe"

Maori Inspired Tiki

R

Hi All!

Just a reminder that the Vicar and I will be teaching at Tiki Oasis the class Zombie Makeup 101: A killer combination of beauty and BRAAAAIIINS!!!

Be sure to join us on Saturday the 16th of August for Zombie Makeup 101! The class will teach the basics of zombie makeup for beginners. Theatrical-grade makeup will be provided during the seminar for participants to transform into their own reanimated creations.

IMPORTANT: Class size is limited to 20 people. A $25 pre-registration fee is required in advance. In order to ensure that we have adequate makeup supplies for the class, please note that CLASS PARTICIPANTS MUST PRE-REGISTER NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, AUGUST 10th!

So come and learn how to transform from a Polynesian Pollyanna into a Ravishing Revenant! Come prettify and putrefy as we reveal secret necrosmetology tips for all you glamour ghouls and pretty-(zom)boys!

For more information on the class, and to register, please click on the link below:

http://www.tikioasis.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=5

Additional information, the class size is only 20 people not 25 as the TO website states and we decided not to make available take home kits.

If you are having problems signing up for the class please PM me your e-mail address and how many tickets you want and I will start making a list so that we can let you know when the registration link is fixed.

[ Edited by: retrodiva 2008-08-05 08:29 ]

I am encountering a problem when I am trying to checkout to purchase two tickets for the Zombie event. It keeps directing me to Page cannnot be displayed. Anyone else having this problem?

M

Melissa's post reminds me that I have been remiss in flogging my own event at Oasis. I have been working like crazy to make this something special that I hope you will all enjoy, so I will look forward to your company at my cocktail seminar as we discuss:

The Undead Cocktail: Understanding the Zombie and Why Three Rums are Better Than One.

Go deep inside the mind of Don The Beachcomber to discover why the Zombie is such a great drink, and learn the secrets to making exotic cocktails at home. Discover the balance of ingredients & techniques that will make your drinks stand out at your next Zombie party- your guests can't live on brains alone! And learn how to balance diverse rums to create exciting new taste profiles that will make your original creations the talk of the graveyard. Plus, tastings, hands-on fun, and lots of surprises*. Don't miss it!

Tickets and more: http://www.tikioasis.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=4

*seriously!

[ Edited by: martiki 2008-08-04 22:09 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 497 replies