Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 3:48 AM

Original thread here!

After almost two years and finally cracking a hundred pages, I'm gonna retire the first thread and start a new one. Thanks to all the TC Ohana who have had such a huge influence on my work...artists of all persuasions, patrons who support the artists, and all the collectors, hunters and archaeologists who share their knowledge.
:tiki:

Without any further ado - some recent work to get things rolling:

"Melanesian Modern" pebble piece and a couple of hei-matau variants.

The bottom two are made from the same slab of Marsden jade:

I've made and posted this hook design before - this one is the 4th for the same family!

This is a piece that should have been made many weeks ago, but I've been having real trouble with (in terms of design). A lesser effort carved to the same stage (that didn't make the grade) has already been sacrificed. I'm much happier with how it's turning out this time - if you can remember the last skull you'll know what's coming..... :o

Edit: One more thing I meant to post - the worst-kept secret in Tiki now the latest issue of Tiki Mag has hit the stands:

How sweet is that Benzart moai bowl?

[ Edited by: Paipo 2011-07-25 04:39 ]

B

Most INCREDIBLE Stuff Paipo, You Sure know how to Open with a BANG!
I Love these new pieces and the guy looks like he is thumbing his nose at you but I have the feeling he is not gonna get his way>
Keep us posted with more progress shots on this guy

T

Ton of nice stuff. I was checking out your Myspace page and seeing all those different works from over time together, makes a huge impact. Had to check out the Moai Bird again after knowing it was going to be made into a Gecko mug. I'm not sure what you may have said the inspiration was but it reminds me that the Moai is wearing a cult hood. Pulling over a mask.

Found a ton of cool new images last night while reseaching something and some of the images were of birds. Your hook looks like some of the pics I found.

B

And when did you sneak in the Gecko stuff, With the "Moaiiiiiiiiiiii Bird" TOO? GOTTA Have one!!!
Paipo, I believe your NExt 100 pages will go by Faster and if possible be More incredible than the First 100!

J

Paipo 2.0 is off to a great start.

I saw the mug you and Gecko did in Gecko's add in Tiki Magazine and went to his website, but didn't find it. Looks sweet in the add. When does it come out?

K
Kahu posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 6:18 PM

Love the look so far of the skull piece.

V2 is looking sweet so far.

On 2008-05-18 06:55, teaKEY wrote:

Found a ton of cool new images last night while reseaching something and some of the images were of birds. Your hook looks like some of the pics I found.

Funny you should say that teaKEY - this design has always reminded me of our native Takahe's (large swamp-hen) bill/beak..

Congrats on the mug P'po - can I get you to order one for me..? :D

Dig that skull! I'd like to order one of those too, but..

Great 'first' post mate. Keep it up!

T :)

B

Amazing new works here and there on your new thread.
The Gecko/Paipo thing is incredible too but I couldn't find it on his website...

Bravo,

Benjamin.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 5:10 AM

Well, thanks to everyone - Benz, teaKEY, JP, Kahu, Tama and Benjamin for helping to get things rolling. No word yet on the Tangata Manu mugs - to tell the truth I didn't even know the sculpt was finished until someone told me about the ad! It looks great -Gecko has a done a fantastic job of a very challenging sculpt- and I'm just as keen to get my hands on one. Any news or updates will be posted right here in this thread....

Interesting comments on that hook - even with the amount of bird carvings I've been doing lately (and I'm not sure why - but there are at least 3 more on my bench), I've never really seen it in that piece - but now I can't unsee it. I'm sure a modified version is on the cards now - cheers TeaKs! Thanks also for reminding me I needed to update my slideshow (done!). The tangata manu is based on some actual carvings, but I also pictured a guy wearing a birdskin like those shamans you see wearing bear or leopard skins with the head still attached.

I spent most of my carving time making earrings today, but got in a little skull time earlier on - there's still a ton of work to do on this piece. I think I used about 7 different tools on the teeth (and they're not even finished!)

v.2.0! New,updated, on the cutting edge!
Just don't unveil a Vista!
New stuff looks awesome. The skull would look great around my neck!

H
harro posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 8:05 AM

Hi Paipo, great start to the new thread!

Somehow I didnt know about your mug so that was a nice surprise (Tiki mag hasnt hit the shelves in Argentina yet...) - looks like it will be a beauty!!

Cheers.

YAY!
The Paipo 2.0 Upgrade was a success!
The new skull is looking great
very sinister and with personality!
how you infuse these stones with personality
is a Wondr to behold!
as is the Tangata Manu mug!
Can't wait to wrap my little baby hands around one!

Love the new skull - you have great style!

I have questions about Version 2.0

1. I heard that it is not compatible with wood, clay or paint?
  2. It only works in "NZ time zone"?
  3. If it crashes, beer and other external intoxicants are the only things that can get it restarted?

Just wondering :)

B

Paipo, your Bug/skull looks pretty Vicious so be careful when you are working on those Teeth, they seem to be Inviting a finger or two to Venture in there and become snack. You may end up calling him "Snack Mann" if you're not careful. :lol: :lol:

S

Yes! the skull is looking incredible nice touch going on
there. The teeth eyes looks great.

V

The skull! The Skull is calling me! I cannot look away!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 22, 2008 4:16 PM

surfin, I only went from 98SE -> XP a little over a year ago - so I'm not expecting to dip my toes into vista til around 2015!

harro - it was all top-secret stuff, as I didn't want to post anything until there was something tangible to show. I really hope this is a success for Gecko as he's done a lot of work on my behalf....

Kinny, just think how it'll look with those dainty digits wrapped around it! "Oooh, Mr Tangata Manu....you're so...big!" :lol:

Tom, in answer to your questions:

1. I heard that it is not compatible with wood, clay or paint?
  2. It only works in "NZ time zone"?
  3. If it crashes, beer and other external intoxicants are the only things that can get it restarted?
  • No, but Paipo V3.0 "Other Crafts", scheduled for release in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2008 will be, and 2.0 is upgradeable to wood compatibility.
  • We are having issues with posts in V2.0 being dated a day earlier than they actually occurred. This is easily corrected by waiting an extra day to read them.
  • The recently released Appleton V/X patch has corrected most known issues, but our technical team are still working on creating the first Mai Tai ever mixed in Greymouth.

Ben, Tama was playing with those teeth yesterday, but I didn't see if he got bit. Buggy? yes - this (and the other skull) are based on the Bumatay bug-eyed tikis.

seek - teeth eyes? or did you mean eye-teeth? ....or maybe these??? (gotta use this on a tiki!)

Henrik, this one's for you! BEHOLD!

Paipo,
Beautiful work as always. man, that mug design is killer. One of thee finest designs I have seen in some time.

HOLY CRAP, PAIPO!! that guy is the best! love him to 'death'!!!!

P

Thanks OO - that's high praise coming from you.
Cheers pat - more skully goodness coming right up!

Last rays of twilight + "oil painting" filter = instant velvet painting (no colour adjustment)!

I finished this guy just after I took the above pic - final shots tomorrow (when the sun comes back....)

B

Can I just say BEAUTIFUL??
OK then, BEAUTIFULLY Done!

Always great stuff Paipo, I especially like the designs of the two stone
pieces on this thread. Inspiring.

K

Love the new 2.0 version. As well.
Skull pendant awesome as usually. Are you putting the jade items on Ebay?

FUDGE!
GOLLY!
JEEPERS!
The skully turned out SpookyGood!
like the velvet painting filter thing...
have you thought about trying that with your creature?
Those would make great mini-prints or cards!
Keep on Rockin wit cho' Bad Self!

K
Kahu posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 12:14 PM

Wow that turned out sweet!

P

Many thanks Ben, conga, kbgator, Kinny (guess I could try it with a resin version - I'm keen to use these as source pics for some drawing or painting down the track) and Kahu for dropping by.
Here's a whole heap of pics of the finished Skull of Yatumba (V2.0!) aka Stone Tiki #45.
Enjoy!

I went with jade eyes - I didn't have many options, but these look great when they catch the light and the jade glows an eerie green. It seems to always work really well with the grey stone too.

I've hardly made any pebble tikis in the last 6 months, so I had to check my files to see where I was at. #45!

The eyes can be adjusted to suit your mood. I dig the :roll: - it has a cool Japanese vibe like this.

From velvet painting to stop-motion animation (curse my shitty plastic tripod! :x )

B

Hey Paipo! I've said this before, but I'll say it once again: Jeez, just when I thought you couldn't possible get any better!

The Kinetic Skull of Yatumba is spectacularly amazingly fantastic! (and pretty good too) :)

Rock out, Bruddah.

B

Paipo, your skull is really amazing. Very nice work.

Benjamin.

B

Holy Cow Paipo! It just doesn't get much more amazing than this! You NZ guys are flat out ROCKING a whole hemisphere.

H

This is just the most perfect piece in each and every way. You are amazing.

Very cool feature on the eyes, truly impressive!

On 2008-05-23 22:01, Paipo wrote:

From velvet painting to stop-motion animation (curse my shitty plastic tripod! :x )

Yeah, that animation is so crappy I thought Id bring it to page3. why do you bother..?
Back to reality; we're all sitting at our PC's doing the same thing :o :o :o It takes a special kind of genius to do what you do fella & Im sure if you had the budget of an average Peter Jackson flick you'd get that image nice and steady. And fix that wobbly cord.. and that flickery shadow thing.. and the way that the.. :wink: :D

I like the skyward-eyes pose too. Gives him real vitality/life and makes you wonder whats going through his mind..?

*Do you realise this thread has run to 3 pages in a week?? According to my calculations that gives us about a month or so before we see the start of 'Paipo's Stone Tikis V3.0'!!? Go, go P'po..

T :)

Nice! And with a little extra work this could become the central figure in the next Angelina Jolie/Harrison Ford movie "The Curse of the Cross-Eyed Skull."

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 6:23 PM

Without any further ado - some recent work to get things rolling:

"Melanesian Modern" pebble piece and a couple of hei-matau variants.

The bottom two are made from the same slab of Marsden jade:

I've made and posted this hook design before - this one is the 4th for the same family!

Hi Paipo...congratulations on the new thread...and the mug.

I dream of being able to make work like the above....so fine. Just beautiful designs.

Can't wait till your next post.

B

Just Checking up on you Pipes, I Know you have been Busy but Where IZZIT?
:lol:
:lol:

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 27, 2008 6:01 PM

That skull is the ballz! Another fantastik motion pendant. The other work you have done recently is beyond beautiful. Droooooool x 10!!!!!

T

Spooky

B

Just Plain Excellent, Can't say enough about how I love this guy

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-05-31 02:29 ]

V

Paipo-

My wife has just snapped me out of a stone skull induced coma! It seems that upon gazing at the finished Skull of Yatumba I attained a state of "coolest thing ever seen" nirvana and remained staring and drooling at my computer for several days. Thinking I was puttering away in the studio, Ms. VanTiki finally noticed my absence when I failed to take out the trash for collection this morning. She revived me with a fresh-cut lime from our tree and nearly fell into a skull-induced trance herself when she saw what I was looking at. Fortunately I yanked the power cord in time!

Seriously - amazing work. Are you selling this one (silly question) - I guess I should ask, has it sold already or are you ebaying it?

You rock my world!

Henrik

J

Skull is very perfect, I watched the bulging eye animation for a while. Then I went back and traced all the cuts and groves and contemplated how you put it all together and styled it. Wow, you are d&*() good.

Aloha Paipo!!! More aweasome carvings from a very talented and creative artist. I really dig your art my friend. Mahalo for sharin, Aloha , Mooney

S

Holly Crap this is so cool! "The Skull of Yatumba" LOVE IT!and
the little ana-may put it over the TOP!

It sounds like we're ALL just sitting around staring at those buggin' eyes..!
Damn you Paipo, you're wasting all of our time!!! :o :) :o :D :o :lol: :o :wink: :o

Hell of a way to corner the Tiki market though - stun your fellow carvers into zero productivity.. :o

skull.. :o of.. :o Yatumba.. :o

Tama

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-05-28 17:55 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, May 30, 2008 5:27 PM

Sorry for the slow response to all the comments - I was waiting and waiting til I had something to post as well. It might be a while before that happens, so I'm just dropping by to say g'day instead.

Cheers to Benjamin, Bowana, Babalu, hil, birdman, Tama x2, timid, Robin, Ben, G, TeaKs (I tried rejigging the "redeye" to get him in sync with the other, but it didn't work!), Ben again (can I have some of that, whatever it is?), VanTiki (unfortunately this guy was spoken for many moons ago - but who knows? There may be more! I spend a lot of time staring at that pic too - it's very hypnotique!), JP, Mooney and seek.

Tama, I think it (the Skull) lulled me into zero productivity too - I have officially got $%^#!-all to share this week. I made a nice abstract wave sculpture for the annual Bodyboarding comp I sponsor, but I just dropped it off down at the breakwall (solid, offshore and messy) and realised whilst driving back that I didn't take a single photo!!! AAAARRGH. Sorry Ben! :lol:

On 2008-05-30 17:27, Paipo wrote:
I made a nice abstract wave sculpture for the annual Bodyboarding comp I sponsor.. but.. realised whilst driving back that I didn't take a single photo!!! AAAARRGH. Sorry Ben! :lol:

This sounds like the start of a good plot for a family-Disney flick: now all you have to do is enter the competition (after finally convincing the judges to let you enter by proving youve got the moves, even if not quite old enough..), beat the nasty wave-nazi kids (stealing their leaders impressive board in the process to make up for the one they swiped off young Timmy..) and bring the Trophy home for photographing, thereby appeasing the Ohana and saving the family farm..

You've got no choice Paipo - its either stand up to them now or theyll be pushing the grommets around forever and spoiling the beach for everyone with their littering and loitering. Just remember what Mr Myagi taught you P'po-san.. wax on, wax off.. drop out, drop in.. :lol:

OK, that'll do. Bummer about the pics..

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2008 11:56 PM

Well, I didn't win the trophy back (or get any pics), but I have got another remake done and dusted:

With any luck a couple more almost-done projects may surface in the next couple of days...
:tiki:

SUPERB! Nothing less than classic top-shelf P'po style. Only the creator of such fine work could get away with so few words for the adoring.. :wink:

NEXT!

S

Wow very nice! To me it looks like hi-tech old world art.
Its really cool.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies