Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

B

"Dat Boy" been spending too much time on Facebook there recently.

CA

dang a lang a ding dong.... teach a man to fish, humph'

L

BUMP! Another month has passed... :(

J.

F

Yeah Where is you ????

J

Paipo is in the process of moving, so he doesn't have much time to log in these days.

On 2010-01-25 13:16, JenTiki wrote:
Paipo is in the process of moving, so he doesn't have much time to log in these days.

*he didnt even have time for a farewell beer.. :cry:

S

Gorgeous! looking cleaner and cleverer all the time.

L

Process of moving!?!

I imagine the mountain of boxes and boxes filled with stones and pebbles ... :roll:

J.

L

oups! double post...

[ Edited by: laojia 2010-01-27 22:54 ]

What happened? Bump again

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 7, 2010 3:07 PM

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 14, 2010 5:37 PM

On 2010-03-04 14:09, coconuttzo wrote:
What happened? Bump again

Sorry, I have been well and truly out of the loop for too long now my tiki friends. As mentioned, I moved towns over the summer and took an extended break from carving. I'm finally creating again in my new space and starting to settle into life in a new town. It's been much more of an upheaval than I anticipated.

I also deleted my myspace and facebook profiles after ongoing frustration with functionality (particularly FB), privacy and copyright issues and too many random inquiries that ate up time but never seemed to pan out. I will have a new + improved self-made site online this year that will showcase my traditional, poly-pop and contemporary carvings again. In the meantime, TC is the sole online archive of my work over the last few years.

Anyway, now we've caught up, it must be time to mix a Mai Tai (I finally managed to locally source both orgeat and Martinique rum over the summer :) )and kick things off with a few pics.....

The new Whare Whakairo (work-in-progress...still lots to do inside with winter on the way):

There are a few tikis scattered about, but I need to fumigate before I can unleash the hordes from their boxes.

Now...some new work. There hasn't been much of this in the last couple of months, at least not of the tiki persuasion, but this will be rectified in the near future.

Here's the swansong piece for the old workshop, and the also my last major project for 2009:

Matarua

...and a couple of pebble pieces from the end of last year:

Rei Puta

Kotiate

To Be Continued....

L

Glad you're back Paip'! :D Also glad you're found a place to put the box cartoning... :D

"Matarua" is a exceptional piece! :o In size and design, I like the rough side, crude, from stone original.

Straight line for the "rei puta", very cotemporary! A WOW piece!

And this modern Kotiate... :o Amazing, as the rear than the front!

And now, we wait more! More! More! :D :D :D

J.

[ Edited by: laojia 2010-03-14 21:57 ]

So good to have you back, Rhys!

"Matarua" is incredible.

I love how the natural colors of the stone work with the design. Just a stunning piece overall.

The future workspace looks oh so promising. I'm sure you will transform it into the ultimate workspace.

So odd as you transition into Winter and many of us here in the Northern Hemisphere are finally looking to shed coats and head back outside to work in the coming Spring.

The worldwide reach of our passion continues to amaze me.

Here's to a year full of creativity for you, and may you continue to inspire us all!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 1:54 AM

Good to see you mate :D

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 2:03 AM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful work Paipo, the Matarua is really "nuts."

Matarua is one BIG POWERFUL PIECE!
That gaze and that perfectly placed darker area that resembles weathering...
Your studio is looking BIG as well....
That's onna be great once it's all functional and ready to rock!
You'll be back in he saddle in no time!
You have been missed!

B

Paipo, Welcome back, Happpy to see your latest stuff, Awesome stuff too and I Especially love the Kotiate, it is So clean, Deep and perfect. Can't find all the right words so I'll just say'em all: Awesome, Incredible, Fantastic, Beautiful (how much room do I have)Sick, and I think I'll just cut the list short but you got the idea, Right??
:P :o :D

B

On 2010-03-14 17:37, Paipo wrote:

WOw, Paipo, this modern Kotiate is particularly awesome. I love it.
Top shelf new pieces.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

T

Nice new works from the old shop. Great new shop!

I like the little tail accent on the back of Kotiate where the cord goes. Nice touch!

CA

i think i would be spending more time shooting hoops out side the new pad then grinding stones...... hmmmmmm....... speekin of stones i have a blarney question for you as soon as i get off the lawn-dart field.... spring has sprung here!

guess who hit that lemon! oh-ya! 20 points!!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 4:39 PM

Great to see you back -

Your latest works are what I call KILLER!!

Thanks for the post.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 5:37 PM

Edited for "ghost page"...see pg. 41!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2010-03-17 17:38 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 5:37 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome back... it feels like I never left :)

Cheers Jérôme, Dave (right on!), hewey, Ernie, conga, Kinny, Ben, Benjamin, BigT, C'Al (that hoop is getting plenty of use...great way to unwind from "carver's cramp"!) and TikiG...I feel like buying all of you a drink...or giving you a hug...or something! I promise to catch up on what everyone else has been making in due course...

Here is the "TBC" part of the post above...the 1st piece out of the new workshop.

Manu Iti

Right! Back to the workshop for me....

[ Edited by: Paipo 2010-03-17 17:39 ]

Welcome back! Amazed at what you do with stone!

P

that's beautiful. i like the subtle shape around the eye.

LT

Beautiful!

congrats on the move. love that basketball hoop! it's so good to see ya settling in and getting back to the business of entertaining us with your genius! yea paipo!!

C

I'm SO glad to see you around again, your new workshop seems great! and what wonderful carvings I want them all!! sigh.... :) i really hope you'll stay around, you are SO talented, and informed about the cultures and artifacts, about the stones, about carving... if you give up.. what the hell am i doing around, hm? don't do this to me, please! (just kidding...) but know you are important to me.. I know is weird and dumb , but it's true... you have a fan (and friend) very very far.....
I know , I know, what ever...
Keep rocking! (please..)

L

On 2010-03-17 17:37, Paipo wrote:

Manu Iti

Right! Back to the workshop for me....

What a beautiful piece!I am delighted to see that the new workshop is already bearing fruit!

J.

CA

i might have to knock this design off!! soooo goooood! and perfect for what i'm working on....

V

Eeeeeeee!

SO glad you are posting again, and that the move went well! Can't wait to see what further goodies you make in the new space.

Henrik

F

Glad your back Paipo, as usual beautiful work, can't wait for the new shop to reveal it's wonders
Regards
Flynny

B

More cool stuff Paipo, this one has some Excellent detail,,, Love it, Welcome back now back to wirk!

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 9, 2010 8:28 AM

PAIPO!!!!!!!!! Where are you??

I know he has new stuff! When you gonna let thye cat of the bag?

B

A Revizit here shows how well this guy is done,,,Lookit that Eye, Perfect, just Perfect and it didn't come that way,,, PAIPO filed down and shaped the puple to get the effect where he wanted it,,looks better than just a little slab of paua shell? I think so.
Also I love the textured bottom level rather than grinding all the way through, it adds an extra dimension to the piece. As for the design and material,,, Typical PAIPO Greatness.

PAIPO,,PAIPO,,PAIPO
HAPPY,,HAPPY,,HAPPY

B

HELP, I'm stuck in the Ghjost page and can't get out

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 17, 2010 6:12 PM

PAIPO!!!!!!!!

S

You have some of the sweeetest eye candy around! Love it!

Simple perfection!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 26, 2010 5:15 PM

Many thanks Iokona, LOL Tiki, Perry, Bullet, Clarita, Laojia, C'Al, Henrik, Flynny, Ben, Ernie, Tom, Ben, Ben, Ernie, seeks and Mango! Thanks for hanging in there during the lull. Time for my bi-monthly update again!

In order of creation...

Lil' Ku

Trying for something simpler (not sure if it was in the end?) and modernist with this one, kinda like the graphics on some of the old Hawaiian tourist brochures and menu art. About 1 1/2" wide.

Another version of an old favourite - Wheku

Black Velvet Edition :)

Pekapeka (struggled to get a decent shot of this one):

Shark Aumakua (NZ Jade)

stay :tiki:

PEKAPEKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dang Paipo! another great batch!
that one is smooth and velvety
but that pekapeka is the LIVIN END!

settlin back into the grooooooove!
:)

T

That is some daaaaaaamnn!!! good work I love the whole thread!

B

Paipo, every time I think your work cannot possibly get any better, you prove me wrong.
Sheesh! :)

Bowie

LT

On 2010-05-26 17:15, Paipo wrote:

Pekapeka (struggled to get a decent shot of this one):

This has to be my favorite!

L

How to well start the day? View Paipo's update before going to work ... :D :D :D
Thank you for sharing your astounding work!

J.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies