Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

Mu-mm gorgeous tastey little fellas. I love the 2 head bird also.

F

Nice to see your new stuff Paipo, crisp as ever, lovin the modernist piece.
Keep it up
Regards
Flynny

simply amazing.......nice to see an update. the pekapeka is my favorite......just curious, how much time do you average on each piece to achieve just perfect detail?

B

I want to add some context to the Mano Aumakua jade piece... I had asked Paipo to make me something like his personal piece, which I had admired for a long time, but with some more Hawaiian traits thrown in. So what you see is actually the combination of both a Mano (shark) and Lono theme... which to me is a perfect blend of them both! An Aumakua is more of a family God or Spirit in the Hawaiian culture. I know it must have taken a lot o ftime and thougth to work out that design, many thanks Paipo!

Sooooooooooo sweet. I want them all!
I would like to know how ya come up with most of the designs. Do you sketch 'em out 1st? Are these straight out of the imagination? Modified somewhat?
Just so many slick designs.

Well, Im glad one of us is managing to break up the drudge of production carving; top shelf matey! Have to comment:

I can imagine your 'brochure/menu' Tiki as a surfboard sticker or t-shirt design..

Awesome wheku - damn man, your cuts and angles are crazy! I imagine myself in 'clean-up' phase of this piece & its like walking amongst great architecture.

Pekapeka with 'taratara a Kae' to die for - in stone! And I need to talk to you about those inlays too.

And a perfect little bite of some super-sweet pounamu to finish, lovely. thanks

Jeez mate, its been so long since we caught up I probably wont remember half of whats been going on when we do.. doh! :wink:

Wow Paips,

You are too good with that lapidary stuff. I only wish I had half the talent you have. Your creativity in design is immaculate & clean. Keep it up!

B

Oh, WOW Paipo, More incredible stuff you have created.. Beautiful marriage of Stone and Jade with a bit of Paua thrown in. You seem to be the Only one making those eyes look so alive and piercing. AND, your Shark Aumakua is totally off the scale, with the textures and finish topping of a Museum quality piece which Blowfish is Certainly most Fortunate to possess.

B

Just HAD to show these again Paips, I Know you must have more to post but these were incredible as usual.
Missin'Ya

L

May 27 - July 13... too long without a Paipo update! :(

C

Beautiful new ones, one better than the other.

T

Piapo inspiring as usual!!

THAT JANUS STYLE BOID PENDANT IS
Ah So WUNNERFUL!
Great job on this batch,Rhys!
We've been a-missing you!
:)

B

PAIPO!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 20, 2010 5:32 PM

Shoutouts to:
kinny, tikigodz, LOLtiki, laojia, seeks, Flynny, chimp, Blowfish, surfin', Tama, coconuttzo, Ben, Clarita and Babs! A gentle prod sometimes works wonders, so I got some new stuff for ya....

On 2010-05-27 07:03, Creative Chimp wrote:
simply amazing.......nice to see an update. the pekapeka is my favorite......just curious, how much time do you average on each piece to achieve just perfect detail?

Some of the smallest/ simplest ones are probably a day (ie 8+ hrs at the bench) or so...then add day/s as they get bigger and more complex, adding inlays, surface carving etc. It is very hard to measure as I often do small sessions on a piece many months or weeks apart.

On 2010-05-27 10:08, surfintiki wrote:
Sooooooooooo sweet. I want them all!
I would like to know how ya come up with most of the designs. Do you sketch 'em out 1st? Are these straight out of the imagination? Modified somewhat?
Just so many slick designs.

Most are just drawn (and redrawn!) straight on to the stone from my head. I will have a style and feel in mind which I tweak to work within the shape and size of the stone. To help with the design process (which is often all in my head) I'll have a dig through my library for examples to nail down the distinct elements of that particular tiki. Lately I've been drawing more and more on paper to help work out some of the problems before I encounter them with the tools and also to get the "ideal" versions of what I'm striving for.

Questions answered - on to some new stuff!

Hei Tiki

Lil' Ku
(1 1/2" tall)

Unaunahi
(Fish Scales)

Koruru

Apologies for the dullness of many of the pix, we seem to only get cloudy days when I have photos to take!

See you again in a couple of months.... :wink:

:tiki:

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jul 20, 2010 5:44 PM

Beautiful lapidary art. Stunning.

Missed your posts for a long time but was worth the wait. Thanks for posting today, Paipo! G

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 21, 2010 1:34 AM

Yay!!

S

Delicious!

Fabulous!!

So "above and Beyond". precision craftsmanship there bruddah!

That Hei Tiki is somethin else!
prod prod prod!

B

Greetings Oh Lost one, Whatever you did OUR Cloud has Lifted, Thankyou, and the New Paip's are Shining through.
I'm Not believing my own eyes looking at this KU by you. I don't Ever think

I have seen you do a full Hawaiian Tiki? EXCELLENT!

Also the Greywackie Hei-Tiki??? Sir!!!

And THEN the Koruru

Thanks Paipo, We Needed this!
(Also, there seems to be a new LONO standing around onj my bench demanding a chip or two every day??)

K

Wooo doggies! I like it, I like it a lot. The Ku, the Hei-Tiki, all of it. This is your science, Man!

L

On 2010-07-20 17:32, Paipo wrote:

See you again in a couple of months.... :wink:

A couple of months! :( Only four wonderful pieces and we must wait a couple of months... :evil: You're killing me! :P :P :P :P

Otherwise the koruru is my WOW favorite!!! I like so much the work on the inlays eye, impressive! Also the Unaunahi, really style exercice pattern , a beauty!

Waiting September...

J.

Ku is incredible, Rhys!

Like Ben said, you've really hit on something here with the full body tiki. I love it!

C

Ooh That Hei Tiki and the Unaunahi ooh...

B

something New coming soon?

how old?? Good to see you mate, lets not leave it another 8 months. Still never managed that Maitai dammit! Next party in my shed..

I am way outta my league when I see your stuff Paips. You are just too much to handle. Masterpieces no matter which one you look at.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 3:03 AM

On 2010-07-23 14:40, laojia wrote:

Waiting September...

J.

Bump! Update coming real soon for GROG (and everyone else) - and some overdue replies too. For now, it's been a really shitty day for the south of NZ and I need some sleep...goddamn earthquakes.

Aw SHUCKS, Paips! When I checked the thread & seen your name signed, I assumed you'd have some eye candy for us to see. I immediately clicked only to find your BUMP. :cry: That's okay though, at least we still know that you are still breathing :lol:! Although the anticipation is nearly killing me! :D

C

Oh boy, glad you are fine, it's seems it was a big one, it's your house ok, what about tama? keep us posted if you can.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 3:27 PM

First things first - big thanks to TikiG, GROG, seeks, meheadhunter, surfin, Kinny, Ben, KAHAKA, Laojia, Dave LS, Clarita, Tama and coconuttzo. Glad you all liked the new stuff, it's not as frequent as it used to be but I do try to go for quality over quantity these days.

Well onto recent events...many of you may have heard we had a HUGE quake here over the weekend...it was on the other side of the island to where Tama & I are living, but still felt strongly here and we were all woken at 4:30am Saturday morning. The timing was a godsend really as despite the massive destruction in Christchurch city, as far as anyone knows there were no fatalities. With all of the huge rubble piles on the city's major commercial street this would definitely have claimed lives if it had occurred during business hours. Nearly all of my family live "over the hill" in Chch but apart from lots of broken housewares and a huge scare everything is OK.
Others weren't so lucky yesterday...NZ's worst plane crash in several years claimed 9 lives way down south on our side of the island (glacier country) and we and some of our friends have connections to some of the victims involved through school and the arts scene.
So, all in all, a really shitty day for many people in the South Island. Makes you grateful for being alive, warm and safe with family when something like this happens.

Back at home, work continues on in the Paipo studio regardless of crazy spring weather (rain, hail, snow) and recent tragic events.
Two new pieces for your viewing pleasure, with one more not quite finished that will be posted in another day or two (promise!)

The latest incarnation of one of my signature designs: The Navigator

Lots of hours in this one...I'd forgotten how much hand finishing is involved in a pendant this big. Having a lovely assistant helps:

Next up, another oldie from the box that was drawn up many years ago but underwent major revision/redrawing during carving. Less trad and more contemporary...
Rua Tangaroa

That's all for now....see you in November!*

*just kidding...new (and very cool) piece coming in another few days!

L

Hey Paipo! Happy have (some good) news from NZ! I believe that humans have made the earth crazy :( ... increasingly it is playing with us...

Your new pieces also make me mad!!! I see the lot of work on "the navigator" even with your little assistant. :)
The "rua tangaroa" is wonderful, really a good piece, a fine balance between primitive and modern.

Waiting few days... Not more! :evil:

J.

Tikitribe Paris
Gallery

[ Edited by: laojia 2010-09-05 00:28 ]

SSSWWWEEETTT.... like CANDY!!!! :o Thanx Paips for that wonderful treat. Hey, I'll bet that after a quake like that, new pounamu were unearthed. Pounamu hunting time! :lol:

Navigator....New Favorite,Paipo!

and the Rua Tangaroa just hits the nail on the head!

Sorry about all that shaking in Christchurch...
Hope you,your family and all your mates had little to no damage!

B

Maybe I get the Ghost page?
Way Excellent stuff Paips, that Hei-tiki is just incredible and the Rua-Tangaroa is Also incredible, Glad to see you didn't get much from the ground-shaking recently, Hate hearing all that news.
Glad to hear you being around here more often too, as I should be too!

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Sep 6, 2010 8:47 AM

Wow! Your two new ones are great! The Navigator is WIKKID man!

Sorry to hear about the earthquake, glad that you and your family are okay. We get them here in S. California quite often. Mostly they just shake things up a bit, but every now and then a real butt-kicker will come along and knock things down.

Keep up the good work and see you in November! :)

Bowie

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 6, 2010 2:22 PM

New piece as promised...

Kai Angaanga (Skulleater)

good god!!!!!! that is beautiful....great work!

C

I love love, the Navigator, to great, must be the help of the lovely assistant, that make it so special :)

B

Whoah, Paipo, Incredible piece of work, your "Skulleater is full of super detail and has loads of personality. He looks Hungry unfortunately for the skull he's just getting the last bit of brains out of.
Great to see new works from you so Soon after the last. Thanks!

L

Awesome job on the skull... And the pattern on eyebrow and mouth! So fine carve...

Another! :D Another! :D Another! :D Another! :D Another! :D Another!

J.

Rhys, these last few pieces are incredible! I can see that you are re-energized in your work as the details are over the top on these.
All of your work is wonderful, but these latest works are really kicking major butt. Chock full of details, and busting out in 3 dimensional form!

Sorry to hear of all the crazy events taking place in your life. The world it seems is very restless lately. Glad you and yours are safe and sound these days, and it is great to see such wonderful new work!

Are you still near surf? Our season here is just beginning with a few waves here and there, but as we head into fall the storms crank up and give us winds and waves!

TB

Bai... is in love....with your work!! perfect!

M

love that skullmuncher with the fat blocky teef! pretty excellent!

A
amate posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 8:32 AM

design and execution...simply the best!

J

Just wanted to post a public "thank you" for the beautiful I gift I received from you today! I feel truly fortunate to have such a talented friend. Baby Buma is around my neck right now and may not leave for quite a while!

Mahalo, Rhys!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies