Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

That is the awesome shot...creature washed up on the stones! Too cool.

:) x 10000000000000000000!

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2008 9:38 PM

My new favorite!

WOW!!

Nice latest trio (spirit mask/creature/tusk)!

I enjoy the diverse range of visual/cultural influences in these 3 carves.

They are all so different yet all are done skillfully with a definite individual aesthetic quality/resonance.

Hoka-hey
ST

TD

Whoa, Paipo!

this guy looks Awsome!

C

Oh double wow! The creature it's amazing! This time out you took, it's totally paying off! These last two guys look so complicated, the mask it's stunning, all that organic texture and detail, and the creature have so much volume, i didn't think possible to make! Is it just me or you got even better?! I'm drooling drooling....! Congrats!

A sweet aqua carve if there ever was one. NICE

J

Oh Paipo! Where are you?!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Nov 28, 2008 2:24 AM

Right here! Still carving...just:

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with my thread very well lately - it's getting into a hectic time of year and I can't seem to squeeze in all the projects I should be working on. Thanks for all the replies/bumps!
I will have more pics (of the above piece) and more finished work to share very soon....

B

Dayyum Paipo, he's a Beauty, and he looks to have a Mosquito biting him on the noggin and making him scream. Probably not your intention, but that was my first thought. Anyway he is a sight for sore eyes. Glad to hear you are busy doing productive stuff! :P
Can't wait to see the rest of the Photos so...take your time Rock Star!

Incredible, Paipo!

P

On 2008-11-28 05:56, Benzart wrote:
Dayyum Paipo, he's a Beauty, and he looks to have a Mosquito biting him on the noggin and making him scream. Probably not your intention, but that was my first thought. Anyway he is a sight for sore eyes. Glad to hear you are busy doing productive stuff! :P
Can't wait to see the rest of the Photos so...take your time Rock Star!

Well Ben, he is/supposed to be a PNG bird mask influenced figure, mixed with yet another Bumatay style mask, but now you mention it...!
I don't know what it is with these bug-eyed freaks, but like your moko & moai guys they seem to have gotten under my skin (a bit like a mosquito)
Pics are here now. Thanks Duddy!

Stone Tiki #57 - Blackwater Bumatay

This might be the new record holder for "biggest pebble tiki" next to the Lono...he's about 3" long and 1 1/2" wide!

Stunning. Stun.......ning

B

Stunning piece, Paipo.
This bumatay looks perfect.

Benjamin.

Great stone work. How do you sign your name to the back? is it with a bit, or sand blast?

B

Dang Paipo!! You really are something else! 57 is just superb! Keep rockin' the shop brother.

J

I really like where you are headed with these. The PNG influence is killer! You just need to post more often. I do know how life gets in the way though. :)

Me thinks it's amazing what you can do with a pebble.

just awesome work my friend awesome

H
haikai posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2008 7:11 AM

I definitely adore your work!

Have you been copying my test paper?? I have two projects in the works that have elements you used in this guy. Eyes of one and the bird of another. Excellent as usual.

T

Wow paipo, lot's of cool on that #57! I love that scared or frightening look. I want to do something like that. It's on my list anways... someday... :wink:

S

Nice work! love how you created your own deity.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Dec 3, 2008 9:05 PM

Big thanks to surfin, Benjamin, KiltedTiki (I use 4-5 different burrs to do my sig!), Babs, JP, marcus, haikai, AS (I immediately thought of your guys when I finished this, in fact I was wearing one of em the day I did), BigT and seeks!

A couple more tikis made it through the paipline this week, and there's a few more on the bench after this:

#58: Anakena Beachcomber (Fat Lava Version)

#59: Kuanko

B

PAIPO! Love the Rock tiki, that surface effect is Perfect and looks like it was time consuming.
Kuanko though is the Real top dog here with obviously more detail and hollowing out He has interesting and different surface textures too which is really refreshing to see. It just shows how much you care to make your pieces a cut above,, LOVE IT!
You can stay away as long as you like as long as you keep bringing back stuff this good. (well not Quite as long as you like! ) :P

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2008 11:38 AM

Top o' the page again eh Ben? Thanks for fixing the "phantom" for me!
Here's something new for you:

#60 - Ku

J

Wow! :o That is very very cool! Possibly in my top 5 from you! Times like this I wish I had a sugar daddy (Benz?)!

T

Awesome! Love the teeth on that. That's gotta be hard to do!

C

Aaaahhhhhhh! 57 to 60 are too much!!!

B

WOW, Just in time I see, Paips, this IS one of the Smartest detailed pieces you've done in awhile. i Love the depth and still the sharp lines that follow around the whole guy. It would be the perfect Halloween/Pumpkin looking tiki around. I love how crisp you get the cord holes/channels/fittings or whatever it is, its like it was all machined... HEY, Did you go and get hooked up on a CNC machine???

This Ku looks Alive!
Now I'll just leave the rocks to you! :P

S

Nice work you make those rocks proud!
Man the teeth on this guy how you do that?

B

On 2008-12-10 16:09, seeksurf wrote:
Nice work you make those rocks proud!
Man the teeth on this guy how you do that?

VEERY Carefully, I'm sure and probably with a few choice words thrown out there too. Those choppers are Really easy to do, Just ask Paipo, I have NO Trouble at all when he does'em for ME. :P :o

Very nice, indeed.
We have some really good material here in the High Desert of California (Mojave Desert area)
that, I think, would be great for this type of art. I call it "Chocolate Jasper". It is
a very solid, chocolate colored jasper, with occasional cream colored veins running throughout.
Dig the detail in this piece.

H
harro posted on Sat, Dec 13, 2008 2:06 PM

man, me likee the textured moai mucho!!

That piece is ACE Paipo! Nice design.

ST

Blackwater buma blows my mind! The execution is crisp and beautiful with classic lines - but with a Paipo feel! I can't stop staring at it!!!!

Wow...I REALLY need to stop by more often! great stuff, my friend!

Wow, Paipo~ Looks Great!

Paipo,You carvings are so TIGHT my friend!each side is perfect and your designs are aweasome,Thanks for sharin and Happy Christmas to you and your family,Aloha, Mooney

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 18, 2008 1:56 PM

Thanks BigT, Jen, Ben, Clarita, feekee, Ben again, Seeks, harro, sneaks, Polynesiac and Duddy. Those teeth aren't as hard as they look although cutting and shaping the mouth on that one was a real pain in the @#$! Feekee - howsabout you tackle some of those rocks and post up some pics for us to see? While you're at it send me a few!

Here's #61 - I wanted to do a traditional pole-style Marq but he sort of veered off into cannibal territory again. Each piece seems to be a first of some sort lately - this one is the thickest/chunkiest piece I've ever done and most of the work is on the sides rather than the front. I think the skull is also the smallest component I've ever carved! Enjoy!

Wait till i get my jaw off the floor.
That's just stunning.
:o :o

[ Edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2008-12-18 14:09 ]

Paipo!!
this piece is the Coolest!!!

Man, just when I think something you did earlier was my favorite, you one up to a new favorite! How can a guy keep up??

Great stuff Paipz!

B

I'll Join the Bandwagon too, PAIPO, AWESOME Stuff.

I'll never complain about working on too small a piece AGAIN!That skull itself is Incredible, of course you Know all this stuff but I Had to say it anyway. Thanks for visiting us and thanks for the well wishes.
HAPPYHAPPYJOYJOY Lets all get some PAIPOTOYS

B

Oh Yeah, How many times did you chase that skull around on the floor??? :P :lol: :D

J

holy cow! Do you have a work in progress of that one? Like a picture of you hunched over a microscope?

Rhys... these new pieces are just slammin!

The detail work is absolutely incredible.

The lines are so smooth and clean.

You're on a roll.

Just cant get enough of that Skull, Paipo!
AwesomeAwesomeAWESOME!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies