Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

B

Hey Paipo, Yer fallin' off the Page!
Happy New Year!

B

Whaaa...my lower jaw just hit the key board! My GAWD Paipo! I heading right over to shout to plug a well deserved "PAIPO" in there.

You hit the MARQ on that cannibal!
Paipo,you're out of control!
in a good way...

P

On 2008-12-30 10:26, little lost tiki wrote:
You hit the MARQ on that cannibal!
Paipo,you're out of control!
in a good way...

Beats being out of control in a bad way!

Thanks for the kind words Grapa-Ruha, duddy, Birdman, hodaddy, Benz, JP, Lake, Babs and Kinny...next year I'm gonna finally buy myself a magnifying headset so I can go even smaller!

I've got a couple more tiki projects underway amidst a HUGE pile of contemporary stuff I'm working on - but seeing it's December 31st here now I guess that's it for another year? Seems like it's 2 weeks between every post these days, but the tiki fires are still burning strong.
Thanks for all the support, feedback and patronage (from my loyal collectors). Hope you all have a ROCKIN 2009!

B

Bumpers

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2009 2:02 AM

I posted a progress pic of this guy a LONG time back, and then he went back into the box as I wasn't happy with the way things were going. I feels like I ended up carving this one 3 times in the end. The sculptural depth just wasn't happening, so I kept peeling back another layer or two til it got there. It's a pretty loose interpretation of an Austral Islands style figure (which is usually female), and might just be the first real full-body tiki I've done in beach stone so far?

Stone Tiki #62: Ra'ivavae Ancestor

B

Wow, Excellent carving, perfect detail and lines. Looks again aas if he came out of a diamond CnC machine.
You are getting pretty Fancy with those TINY Skull skills hey? Thanks Paipo, I needed this :lol:

J

Hey, I thought that face was familiar! I guess I have this one's cousin. Very nice work. So happy you took it out of the box! And a full body no less! Congrats!

Excellent new peice! I love that it is out of the "box". Its also nice seeing something that isn't a big toothy tiki!

Very well done.
Great new look, primitiva-moderne! I love the Moai head a few posts back as well.

Great to see this piece finished mate - I was getting tired of hassling you about it every time I visited your workshop. *Didnt see the skull coming; nice touch!

Ra'ivavae Ancestor is rad....
you're all over the cultural polynesia
and it's GREAT!
:)

T

Damn Paipo, that is so 8) But then alllllllllll your work is great. That little scull needs a few brothers or sisters, cause they would make a nice pair of earings for the lady! Or ladies? Let me know when you start marketing them. :lol: You can put me at the top of the list! :D :D

S

Wow this Ra'ivavae Ancestor is the bomb.
Very Cool! and the little Lucy scull fantastic!

JT

Holy Smokes!!!!!!!! So GOOD!!!!

B

Bump with Photoz. (These need to be up front anyway's )

[edit to fix spacing]___________

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-01-21 12:10 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 20, 2009 6:19 PM

Very nice Paipo. I've sat and looked at this one for quite a while...over several days. This guy is a real winner.

B

oh boy, it is perfect.

Benjamin.

BD

wow, beautiful pieces. you and benz are amazing with the microscopic pieces. my glasses would be twice as thick if i tried that. again beautiful pieces.

bd

C

Very nice!!

I love the depth achieved here. It's just amazing. And I guess sometimes it takes multiple sessions on it, to bring it to it's full potential. Superbly done.

Very nice work my friend!

T

DUDE, super cool! Wow. I love that little skull too. Geez that amazing. Neat design.

I don't see a hole to string this one with. Is this also a pendant?

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2009-01-22 13:04 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 3:44 AM

Dang! 17 days already? 2 pages of replies? Thankyou shoutouts to Ben, Jen, Tama, Kinny, Sneaky, AS, tikipaka, seeks, jab, G, Benjamin, bd, Clarita, surfin, stonetiki and BigT ( yes #62 is a pendant - just sans holes and mark on the back when I took the shots). I think I'm all skulled out for a while now!

I have had 4 new pieces (tiki that is) on the bench for ages and I keep swapping between them constantly. Turns out the one I finished first is the one I started last, if that makes sense...

#63 - Fisherman's God

B

definitely a Cool dude, and a Happily Smug looking fisherman who just had to have caught a Big one!
Nice to see a Paipo Update!
:P :D :lol:

Great flow and curvy lines in this fellah!
he DOES look kinda smug!
Probably because he started last and finished first!
Let's see those others you've been hiding!

S

Yes smug and sleepy. Nice work!

H
harro posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2009 3:42 PM

nice bit of pinstriping on this lil fella Paipo.

The last one was outta this world too, unbelievable!!

Paipo, I haven't been on as much and got some catching up to do. Very cool last couple of pieces, I really like the Austral Islands guy.

E
Ellly posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 10:50 AM

Ciao to everybody here..
I've been reading and reading your posts before finding the courage to come in...
I have first of all to thank you everybody, starting from Paipo, for being so generous to share skill and fantasy and sources of inpiration with 'the world' !
I feel very far, living in Sicily Island very close to mount Etna, Italy, but I like all what I've seen carving here and I started too... (tried.. is better..)
efforts, just efforts, everything is new for me, starting from the use of dremel and burrs... continuing with polishing stones... ending with use of wood and chisels..
A lot of meat on the barbecue (as we say here..) but I'm ready to improve, with your words :)
Ciao
Ellly

in the background... first attempt of carving a tiki in balsa wood...

and these are 2 pieces of jade (ready in shape and with the hole, I bought in a local shop)
and a pink marble (I guess)pebble I found on a beach not far from Catania.

Problems in simmetry, in polishing, and in the correct burrs to use to have the correct effect :D
so, sorry... for what you see! And thank you for your comments

[ Edited by: Ellly 2009-02-03 10:52 ]

[ Edited by: Ellly 2009-02-03 11:04 ]

[ Edited by: Ellly 2009-02-03 11:12 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2009 9:29 PM

Cheers Ben, seeks, Ken, harro, tikifreak and Ellly...Ellly - welcome to TC! You should start your own thread up and show us some better pics of your work. Those pebbles are probably Chinese "New Jade" (bowenite) which is softer than nephrite, easy to carve and polishes beautifully. I like the look of those micro mals (which it looks like you make?) there!

Well, only a little over a week this time for something new...this one seemed easy at first, then ended up taking almost as long as anything I've carved, being A: Large and B: double sided. I dabbled with the idea of doing some surface work on the blade, but after looking at some reference pics of the old pieces the form won out and I left it mostly natural (as many of the pre-contact ones were). Checking the pics I was also surprised how "trad" this one turned out as it was meant to be more "Mod" - sometimes these pieces seem to decide for themselves what they want to be!

#64 - Wahaika

S

What a beautiful stone carve. Love the face and the chocolate color in
this one.

Killer work as usual.

E
Ellly posted on Thu, Feb 5, 2009 12:39 AM

Ciao Paipo...
Thank you, I'll start a new topic and I'll try to make better pictures..
every piece you carve is astonishing.. I like the sinthesis and the lines you trace on stone surfaces
I agree with you about the 'talking stones'.. Michelangelo Buonarroti in the XVI century was absolutely sure that marbles had inside imprisoned figures waiting for a carver who may help them to come out.
Ciao

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 5, 2009 1:27 AM

Seeks - chocolate? Must be the red wall behind the table I was shooting on. He's a mid/darkish grey, but I find these beach stones very hard to capture on camera accurately. Thanks for the comps !

Ellly: Yes! I studied Renaissance and Baroque sculpture as my final level in "Rock School". I totally dig Michelangelo's work and although my skills are light years away from what those guys did, I can incorporate some of their approach and philosophy to my work. I've done a couple of pieces directly influenced by the imprisoned figures and I always work within the natural form of these stones where I can.
Keep rolling with the rocks, share your work and post any questions in the stone carving thread. Tama and I don't post as much these days but if you're patient you'll find what you're seeking. Ben probably knows about as much as either of us now anyway :)

B

Kia ora Dude, you're a rockstar with this one. I love the way the swirls come from the back to the other side (hope it's understandable ! ).

Bravo,

Benjamin.

BD

once again this monitor has let me down and can't make out the details(toss up between new monitor or a power grinder). from what i CAN see, "wahaika" looks beautiful. how big is it or should i say how small? the stone work you guys do is just amazing. all those pieces inspire me to do better in my own carvings.

bd

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 5, 2009 12:11 PM

Thanks Benjamin - I spent a crazy amount of time on that little negative space. As far as I know (or at least in this case), that little notch is used to trap the enemy's weapon and destroy it. The two koru (spirals) on either side form a mangopare (hammerhead shark) motif, appropriate seeing as the club is named after a fish...

big daddy, this one is large as my pebbles go, 3 1/2" (87mm) long, 1 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick. The little mask on the side is just over 1" long. Cheers!

B

Paipo, I'm Really Floored by this one. This has to be the most Beautiful piece you have ever done. Beautiful lines, curves, sweeps and shapes, topped by the beautiful sweet looking Mask. If I had the choice, this would be the club to use to bash in my Skull and end my life.
Happy Happy Happy!

F

Rhys
I would echo Benz, this piece is simply stunning, lines, detail, design etc and the overall crispness blows me away. I've been lurking a little while since firing up the micromotor, hope to post one or two pieces soon
Regrads
Flynny

Sacrilege!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Feb 7, 2009 3:50 PM

My-T-Fine there Paipo! Boy is that a looker. I know a few old farts that would love to hang that 'round their necks. One of them being the Zart-Man. I think that may be the sharpest piece I've seen from you. I dunno, if it isn't the sharpest...it's in the top three....

I can only imagine how hard you stressed over that one :lol:

Love it.

G$

Top notch, Rhys!

The Wahaika is a beautiful piece, as are all of yours.

Such smooth and precise lines, and a hint of texture to set off the non carved surfaces.

Beautiful!

Getting any surf in these days in the summer months?

The Great Lakes have been clogged with ice floes this winter due to extremely cold temps... I haven't been on a wave in 3 months now and going seriously out of my mind.

Keep up the good work!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-02-08 11:32 ]

B

I REALLY Think this Wahaika deserves to be on this page also so I'm bumping it up here too. This guy is just So Sweet sitting on his Club with that secure, smug, Calm, cool, Collected air about him. GMAN is right, This guy could spend his life protecting My neck forever.

Just SO NICE!

C

I agree with everyone and I can't think of much to say. One of the
coolest ever.

That is INcredible, Paipo. :o
wow

B

BRAVO!

Can't get over that Wahaika....
man!
What i wouldn't give to crack GROG on the head with that!
I would've said Clysdalle,but he's got a baby head
and they're too soft to withstand the
Crack-A! of the Wahaika!
:lol:
Stunning,Rhys!

L

Your work inspires me long, I think it refers to many very strong.Eg Wahaika me back to this:

The scale is different, but I feel the spirit is same...
Well done, I continue to follow.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies