Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 1:17 AM

d0x - that looks more like a project for the wood guys to me. I reckon there are a few people here on TC who could do justice to a full figure Moai Kavakava (looks at BenZ), but I'm not one of them. The best one I've seen on TC was by AlienTiki, but that one was only a head done in profile.
Stone working is slow and difficult, so we tend to either focus on one part of the design if we want some sculptural depth (e.g. just the head), or flatten the volume of the overall piece to create an illusion of depth when portraying the full figure (like Tama's pieces).

Speaking of slow and diffcult:

FINISHED!

Oh, and in case you're wondering.....

Yes - the insistent tone of that floating head eventually broke down my will, and I drilled the holes.

One of my favourite comics when I was a kid was Marvel's "What If?", and for ages yesterday all all I could hear was this little voice saying "What If?...What If?" I couldn't visualise the holes in any other way, except for going ahead and drilling them - so that's what happened.
Ben - you are now officially banned from offering suggestions on future pieces. Imagine if you were building a car in your back yard, and Enzo Ferrari passes by and says "Hey - shouldn't that have four wheels?" If not for the Hawaiians, I'm sure Ben would have invented the Lono by himself anyway, so when the king of Lonos stops by and tells you to drill the damn holes, resistance is futile. Lesson learned!

In closing:

B

:) :) :) It must have been that floating head, it wasn't me!
I can't believe you drilled the holes, drilled the holes. Of COURSE he loks Absolutely great and you have increased his value by a LOT but Honestly, I feel a bit guilty for leting my ghost run loose in your shed,,it's just that, well, He was having such a Great time there and he reFUsed to even Think about leaving. I'll keep him under tighter reign next time. So now you have a "Holy" Lono, wasn't someone just asking you if you "Blessed" your works before you started? :P
Thanks Paipo, you are a true scholar and a gentleman!

On 2008-08-24 01:54, Benzart wrote:
:) :) :) It must have been that floating head, it wasn't me!
I can't believe you drilled the holes, drilled the holes. Of COURSE he loks Absolutely great and you have increased his value by a LOT but Honestly, I feel a bit guilty for leting my ghost run loose in your shed,,it's just that, well, He was having such a Great time there and he reFUsed to even Think about leaving. I'll keep him under tighter reign next time. So now you have a "Holy" Lono, wasn't someone just asking you if you "Blessed" your works before you started? :P
Thanks Paipo, you are a true scholar and a gentleman!

lol

It was Tama and his pounamu pendants :)

And Paipo? Awesome, fantastic, WOW.

Patience is the big thing with stone yes - truckloads of it!

And I hope you get over your cold soon.

KS

Kripes, I think we all have the floating head around us!
Isn't anyone gonna comment about the P-girl!!!

way to go, braddah floating head! paipo, this would be one of my favorite paipos even if you hadn't gone all the way through. now i really wish i'd have bought da paipo sign.

C

Oh beautiful!! The head was right!
BTW I know that head! is the same one that comes visit me saying softly, poooost moooore ofteeeen...
:)!

S

Love the stone lono! Fantastic job looks like hard work.

Yes there 2 other distractions on this post NICE!
much better than looking at Buzzy layouts

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 25, 2008 8:52 AM

Awesome!

T

is looking good

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Aug 25, 2008 9:45 AM

On 2008-08-25 08:46, seeksurf wrote:
Yes there 2 other distractions on this post NICE!
much better than looking at Buzzy layouts

[ Edited by: Zaya 2008-08-25 09:50 ]

J

Zaya RAWKS!!! :wink:

B

Babs - when you're ready, I'm all ears! (groan)

Cool....I wasn't thinking about anything too difficult :)

J

I glad you decided to go through with it! :)

The special something else was a special something else, Thanks for that, but the Buzzy picture has to be erased from my mind.

Great work Paipz. Who's the sheila? BTW, Johnny, a thread simply isnt a thread without a half naked Buzzy pin-up.

See what I mean? http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17410&forum=7&start=last&

B

HERE it is Again, the Ghost Page? Whatz gowing On here?

do do do do, do do do do - the little something extra is a spook page :lol:

Bring on the music Benz :)

Hopefully this post heals it again!

ps - I love the lono Paipo!

KS

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Aug 26, 2008 3:52 AM

Thanks again Ben, shaman, surfin', Bullet, Clarita, seeks, GROG, teaKs, Zaya (I think?), Jen, Babs, hodaddy (No idea who our model is...maybe GROG know?), aaaand Ben and shaman - again! Cripes there's a lot of you! Must be the boobs?
Here's some finished pics/detail shots of the Lono:

Sweetness solidified! Love the eyes.

*I hope you noticed I was civilised enough not to say anything about those incredible tits back there..?

On 2008-08-26 04:02, Tamapoutini wrote:
Sweetness solidified! Love the eyes.

*I hope you noticed I was civilised enough not to say anything about those incredible tits back there..?

"I" did Tama, yes :lol:

Awesome Paipo. Man, I really have no idea how you do that. just hours at the bench, slowly working away on low speed I guess . . .

You da master!

KS

B

Yes I Noticed T-Man, good on'ya
Paips, I Love the extra detail in the eyes too and The Teeth, you Really went hog wild there loitering about spending time sculpting Each one and the look is AWESOME!
I Wish I could Afford this guy.
HappyHappyHappy

love it all, style ,designs and technique rocks ,

DAMN that looks grrrreat, Paip!
love it!
the sharp design ROCKS!
...no pun intended but, i'll go with it

Double post, my bad

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-08-26 06:58 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 27, 2008 1:44 PM

Cheers Tama, shaman,Ben, kroozzn & Duddy...yep, slow and loitering are good terms to use for this one. He kept me chained to the bench for much longer than he should have, but I think it was worth it in the end.
Got some new projects underway now - pics soon!

B

THanks Paipo! C'mon, Show us your new projects so we can think about how to advise you to continue :P
I Promise only easy suggestions, NOT! No Suggestions at all since you Know what I would suggest from now on? I Promise I'll keep quiet.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 9:37 PM

On 2008-08-27 16:30, Benzart wrote:
THanks Paipo! C'mon, Show us your new projects so we can think about how to advise you to continue :P
I Promise only easy suggestions, NOT! No Suggestions at all since you Know what I would suggest from now on? I Promise I'll keep quiet.

Too late Ben - these ones are in the bag! No more progress pics for me! :lol:

Anakena Beachcomber Mk II:

Avana Beachcomber:

On 2008-08-31 21:37, Paipo wrote:

Avana Beachcomber:

Sweetness! Avana wear one myself..

B

PAIPO, PAIPO, More Excellent stuff, Love them both but the beachcomber looks more special to me for some reason. I love the little details like the recessed half hidden cord hole,with the cord coming out of the center of the stone bead,, just proof of superb ability and control.
Excellent followups to a Magnificent Lono!

I have to agree ( I seem to be doing alot of that lately?)

Supurb stuff Paipo! The cuts are so CLEAN!

:tiki:

KS

Really nice work Paipo! I especially dig the Avana. The lines are so clean and have a great flow.

S

You Rock your work is sick! love it love it love it!

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 4:36 PM

ready for...

B

WOAH, Paipo, It just dawned on me you carved all those beads too? I'm sitting here trying to figure out the best way to do these without a lathe and every way I can think of includes Lots of Time!
"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Sock it to me,ROCK it to Me,Rock it to me"

T

Impressive work indeed Paipo .
Are those wee beads as they came off the beach ,
or did you work them in anyway , other than the drilling and buffing ?

Yikes! Amazing. The way you strung the cord through the rock is insane! How..do...you...do....it
What?? who! $#@@ huh?! HOW

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 5:47 PM

Cheers T...shades of Austin Powers? Avana was actually a name I liked for our girl, but rather than subjecting her to a life of double entendres we went with the briefer "Ava". :)

Ben, somehow that little guy wasn't going to hang right if I went through the sides, so I just used a trick from some of the earlier pebble necklaces (the "Splitter" pebble). You still on about that Lono? When do we get another Benzart take on one?

KS,TK, seeks - thanks! Those larger than life photos suggest maybe I could've been cleaner still, but I'm pretty happy with him. I actually find these little Tangs one of the trickiest tikis of all, because of all those repeating curves and bevels.

Babs - I think if I was going to Studio 54 I'd probably wear my vintage Coco Joe's "Polynesian Love Stick" with its fat-assed goldtone chain! But you've stirred the ideas pot...disco tiki?

Ben & Jock - all natural, just drilled and a coat of beeswax to finish. Many hours go into the fossicking and sorting side of things to get all those perfect little stones however, hence the "Beachcomber" name I use for these. (although pretty much anything I make that isn't jade is carved from beachcombed material...)

The latest beachcomber is sooo close to being done - a cool looking lil hybrid Moai/Hawaiian type fella...but I'm taking a few much-needed days off. I will save the pics until he's done. More next week!

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 6:20 PM

dammit Paipo, that Lono is DISGUSTING!!!

the textures and planes just make me weep.

alohas, bT

Paipo,What an Aweasome Lono!!!Props to an incredable artist!Aloha your friend, Mooney

S

Yes, that reckless is a sick piece of art.
Hats off great stuff.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 8:21 AM

Dman Paip, how long does it take to match up all those little pebbles. Aack! That little Tang pendant is superb. It looks like it was machine made, your precision is a real gift. I know we all are better carvers for having watched you and your work.

-g

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 9, 2008 5:50 PM

On 2008-09-03 16:36, Babalu wrote:
ready for...

DUH! Only just realised the significance of this (I've been a bit slow on the uptake recently)....

#54 it is!

Another "Tiki Modern" style fella with a some Rapa Nui and a little Hawaiian thrown into the mix....

I like the lil' spirals on the cats-eye shells (collected from a beach in the North Island):

I'm getting tired of sorting and drilling stones after about 4 of these "beachcombers" in a row - this will be the last for a while!

Next up is a jade beach pebble pekapeka - should have it finished today or tomorrow. Thanks to BT, Mooney, seeks and G!

T

Cats Eyes huh , well played Sir

B

Crazy perfect stuff, Sir.

Benjamin.

V

Sooo cool, fantastic work again Paipo. I love the new one.

B

Why do I always get the ghost page? Is it for my ghosting around your shed?
Ghost or not, #54 is a Powerful but Happy looking tiki, Just who you would want for a buddy. Aw C'mon, we were just starting to LOVE those round stone necklaces, they are the Perfect answer to this guy's hard straight lines and really help make the total piece.
A Lono from Ben? Maybe soon maybe!

B

Why do I always get the ghost page? Is it for my ghosting around your shed?
Ghost or not, #54 is a Powerful but Happy looking tiki, Just who you would want for a buddy. Aw C'mon, we were just starting to LOVE those round stone necklaces, they are the Perfect answer to this guy's hard straight lines and really help make the total piece.
A Lono from Ben? Maybe soon maybe!

B

Paipo...you are just too much brother. #54 is soooo tight!

You might find this interesting? My mother in-law purchased this necklace at a NY auction back in the mid 60's...It is suppose to be pre-Colombian, but I really don't know for sure. The holes that pierce the stones are really interesting...they taper in diameter from the outside edges of the stone to the center of the stone - from both sides of the stones piercings.

Keep cranking out this fantastic work Sir P....As Benz would say "happy, happy, happy!"

Beautiful paipo!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies