Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

You just keep making some of the coolest and most original stuff! Simple design with great lines!!! Excellent.

Aloha Paipo!
Another very Kool Pendant! I'm glad that your still gonna post. I enjoy seeing all your projects and may the good karma come your way and the BAD karma head to someone elses house(we know who that is in Ohio)Aloha , your friend , Mooney

J

I'm glad you posted a whole picture of this one, not just a teaser, that was cruel.

You must spend a lot of time drawing different designs. Each of yours looks fully refined like you did several drafts to get every line to flow just right.

ANOTHER BEAUTY PAIPO!
THAT SKULL IN THE HEAD IS KEEN-O!
Can't wait to buy a Knockoff of it here in the States! :)

S

Nice Cannibal Charm love it!

H

Nice and simple, yet a great personality to him. Reminds me of this guy:

B

Paipo, what's with your thread, I think it's Haunted or something. NOW page 11 has the dark grey color with the same error as # 10 had, maybe this will fix it?

YEP!

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-07-22 01:28 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 1:52 AM

Cheers Brad, pat, GROG, Perry, Ben, BigT, Tom, Mooney, JP, Kinny, seeksurf and hewey! Phew!

JP - While I do refine my designs on paper occasionally, nearly everything I post here is drawn directly onto the stone without any pre-planning, other than a vague thematic urge.In this case the words "savage" (see below) and "cannibal" - and I knew it had to incorporate a skull too. I really liked the quartz veins in this stone, and as soon as I picked it up I saw this evil little face in it!

Hewey, that pic is spot on for the feel I wanted - I often skim through my reference folder for vibe when I'm doing a new piece (less so now I've clocked up almost 50 pieces) or look through books relating to the appropriate culture, but in this case I didn't do any of that at all - but there are still some remarkable similarities. The little negative space in the forehead (and the details to either side), slitted eyes, jagged teeth - I'm thinking I should rename this piece now ("Mask of the Savage" anyone?) :lol:
I wonder if thinking of the word "savage" triggered some subconscious recall of this classic album cover? Hmmm....
(actually, I just had to check to see if I had that cover in my "tiki/albumcovers" folder...nope - but I do now!)

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-07-22 03:19 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 2:13 AM

PS: Ben, I hope my thread isn't cursed!

PPS: Nothing to do with tiki whatsoever, but looks like we're in for "Big Wednesday" here tomorrow....

:o :o :o

B

:o :o :o

WOW amazing, I love it.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 4:53 AM

Is "cannibal charm" available? or is he spoken for?

24.5' - we don't get that during hurricanes!! Do you have any local spots that can hold a swell that size? Perhaps it will wash up more stones for you to choose from.

J

The Austral Islands Drum Mask has finally completed its journey across the Pacific!

Happy Happy Happy

Super Cool!
that teeny tiny skull is wicked, the eyes on the dude rock too!

Ahhhh-ha, you use magic seaweed over there too! Cool.
I ocassionally look at western Australia too, and see similar stuff...it's sick. ...Just sick.
Oooo, when can I visit?

Paipo, you make it look so easy! All you pieces turn out perfect. Great job!

S

Paipo how does big Wednesday look? You have to live close
to the beach living on that island of yours.

Sweed is the best.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 12:13 AM

GROG was so happy to recieve GROG' pendant GROG buy from Paipo this week.

But then GROG notice this on the back.

WHAT THE HELL?!!! Now Paipo is ripping off Paipo. What's this world coming to?

J

:lol:

T

Who is Piepo? Does sounds delicious though

J

Oooh, another phantom page! {cue Twilight Zone theme}

oh Paipo - yes - page 12 - but nothing on it?

Me thinks Jentiki is right - bring on the music Jen :D

(BTW Paipo - awesome work!!!!! - but you know that)

KS

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 4:02 PM

Hmm, so the thread is cursed! Has anyone seen this happen on another thread?
Thanks for all the replies Benjamin, kahu, Tom, Jen, duddy, surfin, tikifreak, seek, GROG, Jen, teaKs, Jen and kiwishaman, and remember - choose only genuine Piepoâ„¢ products!

Well, Big Wednesday didn't disappoint, and as the chart predicted, there was a HUGE 1 day surge in the swell, which then disappeared again by yesterday. The rest of the country is still copping a hiding but it's calmed down here...for now. Fishing boats were cruising back out over the bar and the swell has cleaned up quite nicely (actually, I have a funny feeling it will be totally flat today). When it gets over 6-8' here there's really nowhere to go - it's just too exposed along this coastline, the dropoff is pretty abrupt and the sweep is just insane. There certainly will be stones aplenty though - we've had plenty of torrential rain and high seas this winter, so I predict a good seasonal result for the extractive division of Piepoâ„¢ industries.

While it was as big as I've ever seen it get here in my decade of residence on the Coast, unfortunately cameras are hopelessly inadequate in capturing the feeling of awe/dread/wonder, but I did try:

Rivermouth from the south breakwall - not a good day to be crossing the bar!

South side B-town, outside set (actually inside for this day - waves were breaking hundreds of metres further out and were far bigger than this)

This guy must've been freezing in his shorts - the wind was icy, and where he was standing copped plenty of spray on the big sets...

S

Right On! thanks for the storm pics. Yes camera and waves
not the same as in person.

Made in CHINA was funny1

B

Paipo, Those photos of Natures fury are really Awe inspiring. Such Beautiful, fearsome power. Even the Photos have you reaching for the foul weather gear.
WOW!

Right on, you really did capture the fury. Just lookin at the photos, kind of brought me there. Wild, untamed, and in the middle of the Pacific. Thanks man!

B

"

Master P,

This Cannibal is the Cat's Meow! Great shot on that leather :up:

Keep your back to the wind brother...ride that storm out.

PS: GROG always gets the good stuff.

B

BUMP

B

Paipo, you on Permanent vacation? I know there are some stones rolling around over there, any stopping on your bench for refacings? I'll bet they (stones) are lined up fighting over who gets to be done next? :lol: :D

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 13, 2008 2:05 PM

It's been a while hasn't it?
I have been busy - once this lot is in the post you will have my undivided attention....

I'll post 'em when I got 'em. Cheers for the bump & comments!

uh-oh, bottom right corner - I think I see a toolmark.. :wink:

ok it looks as though you have a legitimate excuse. Just hurry up alright?

:)

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 13, 2008 4:19 PM

On 2008-08-13 15:17, Tamapoutini wrote:
uh-oh, bottom right corner - I think I see a toolmark.. :wink:

I guess when you get down to it, carving is nothing but a series of toolmarks? I'll be looking forward to less square holes and more curves once this lot's gone.

On 2008-08-13 15:17, Tamapoutini wrote:
ok it looks as though you have a legitimate excuse. Just hurry up alright?
:)

Hurry? OK, how about a koropepe race? Gentlemen - start your micromotors!

Even with a 2 week head start I suspect I'll still come last :lol:

PS your saw is calling me....

On 2008-08-13 16:19, Paipo wrote:

Hurry? OK, how about a koropepe race? Gentlemen - start your micromotors!

You're on: On your marks.. Get set..

*I win - you bring the beer! :wink:

B

You guys lose WE WIN! No I'm not confused, Who's thread izzit anyway Paipo where'd you go, Tama holding you hostage or something?
Either way nice koropepe T3....

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 15, 2008 1:11 AM

Unfortunately I didn't even get a chance to look at the koropepe again until today - I suspect the punters will have long abandoned the grandstands by the time this guy crawls past the finish line!
Still, some progress was made, and now it's time to play with my photo editor and figure out what colour, size and placement to use for the inlay:

Here's my original source image...pretty spooky and ancient looking huh? It appears to be made from some type of stone, but unfortunately I have no details for the pic. I have a vague memory of it being from some European museum or collection? If anyone else knows anything about this piece hook me up. I'm also using a different method of suspension (netsuke style holes in the back) as I think the hole detracts from the flow of the design.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 15, 2008 1:28 AM

Fixed by Ben's post!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-08-15 03:35 ]

B

I Can't believe it, this Dastardly page took a long post and hid it before I could submit it, Dammit!
Oh well The race seemed a bit fixed to me, didn't quite look right so you gentlemen will need to submit both entries to the judging stand for drug testing and authentication. Forfeit of items in case of infractions is the rule, so no tears.
Paipo I Really love the little tongue hanging out, it really gives your rock-monster a different personality and I totally agree about the hole in the back being better.

that koropepe is very cool paipo whats the new hole style?

Oooohh - Paipo - I love the koropepe - awesome design.

Excellent stuff!!

KS

P

You'll have to wait Ben - the race isn't officially over until all the competitors pass the finish line, and the koropepe is still coming round the last turn...

GreenCarvings - welcome! I just read back through your posts - maybe I met you last time I was in Hoki ? I try to stop by and see Steve whenever I'm down there, but he's always flat-out with his students so we never get much time to chat (and I usually have the whanau in tow).
I'll post some pics of the holes I mentioned, but I suspect you'll have seen them already - "hidden" holes, bullnose, netsuke himotoshi?

Kiwshaman - cheers! Stay tuned for finished pics tomorrow or thereabouts.

Did a little more on the koropepe today, but I'll wait til he's all done before posting more pics. I'm fully back in tiki mode now, and got another two pieces underway:

Ahhh MAN! That stuff is just sooo beautiful. Yours and Tamas' approches to the Koropepe were great to see. Bringing back something obscure, and making it better.
I just wished I had my stone carving gear and taken a whack at it...it would've given everyone at TC something to laugh at!!

Looks Great!!
Both of em!

On 2008-08-15 01:11, Paipo wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't even get a chance to look at the koropepe again until today - I suspect the punters will have long abandoned the grandstands by the time this guy crawls past the finish line!
Still, some progress was made, and now it's time to play with my photo editor and figure out what colour, size and placement to use for the inlay:

Here's my original source image...pretty spooky and ancient looking huh? It appears to be made from some type of stone, but unfortunately I have no details for the pic. I have a vague memory of it being from some European museum or collection? If anyone else knows anything about this piece hook me up. I'm also using a different method of suspension (netsuke style holes in the back) as I think the hole detracts from the flow of the design.

Man , that looks good Paipo ,
ya giving the Kumara Kid a run for his money there mate .
Hey have you carved those white beach stones from Kaikoura ?

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 16, 2008 3:54 PM

Thanks surfin, Duddy and Tt . You know what they say - slow and steady.....

As for the Kaikoura stones which look like bones - they satisfy a specific need in my work:

I've also used them in a few other non-tiki projects where I needed to pack a lot of very fine detail in a small space.

Back to the shed now - more later!

OK . . . nice race . . . now, shake hands and come out carving!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 16, 2008 6:09 PM

Are those your cats E? Beautiful looking creatures if so....what make are they?

On 2008-08-16 00:25, Paipo wrote:

GreenCarvings - welcome! I just read back through your posts - maybe I met you last time I was in Hoki ? I try to stop by and see Steve whenever I'm down there, but he's always flat-out with his students so we never get much time to chat (and I usually have the whanau in tow).
I'll post some pics of the holes I mentioned, but I suspect you'll have seen them already - "hidden" holes, bullnose, netsuke himotoshi?

Im pretty sure i know the sort kind of like a side ways hour glass on the back of the peice?

On 2008-08-17 01:01, GreenCarvings wrote:

On 2008-08-16 00:25, Paipo wrote:
"hidden" holes, bullnose, netsuke himotoshi?

Im pretty sure i know the sort kind of like a side ways hour glass on the back of the peice?

'Ox-nose' holes is another common term too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies