Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 3:05 PM

Cheers T - see you shortly :wink:
Thanks seek - you're onto it. "Hi-Tech Old World Art" - I like that...

Here's a piece that has been on the bench for a looong time - it's had one major revision due to a moment of inattention, and I didn't want to take pics until it seemed to be back on track. Still a bit of tweaking and finish work left to go, but it's mostly there now....and should be finished soon?

T

This looks interesting and ready for engineering . . . plenty of room for popping eyes, protruding tongue, and swinging palatine uvula

Mad Skillz Paipo!! That breastplate is sweet, I can't believe you got all those cuts in the shell like that. I break so many shells just cutting almond shaped eyes!!! This new one is looking like your going to have some surprises coming??

H
Heath posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 5:05 PM

...due to a moment of inattention...

On a piece that size?
You're a madman!
I'm looking forward to see what direction this one goes.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 7:07 PM

Holy crap! That is slick as snot!

B

Paipo, I'm Really glad you are posting this Latest guy. When I saw him this morning he totally Blew me away, hollowing out this head as you've done makes him all the more realistic and gives him a deeper third or 4th dimension. Of course when one sees all the Hollow areas, we KNOW what You do with those and Our minds start going pout of control with all the possibilities of special Movement this guy has the potential to have. So hurry up and Animate the crap out of him so our wandering mind can get some REST!

Aren't you Done Yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

WOW, I Know this guy is really gona Blow us away so lets see him already.
(then I'll Shut up) :lol:

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 4:51 AM

Many thanks E, C, H, G & B. Ah yes, Ben - the "4th Dimension". Why bother with just 3, when you can hollow out the interior and spend hours cleaning that up as well? I think I'm going to do it all again on the next piece too.

The pendant is getting very light now, but it will eventually become heavier again...I still haven't decided what's going to fill all that space yet!

Tama and family popped by today, so I spent more time hanging out, talking and drinking coffee than carving, but I did get out to the shed for a wee while...a session of fine-tuning on the features and it's looking a little more crisp:

NOM NOM NOM

B

YES, Unbelievable did he Bite you there?
Thanks for posting these pix Paipo, I Know you wanted to go to bed.
AWESOME.

L
Loki posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 4:59 AM

Damn....that is something. Awesome!

Wow! That is sooooo cool! He looks very 3d, even know he is 3d!

NOM NOM NOM!
:lol:
What a cutieBoy!
Glad you took him back out and got em goin!

R
Robin posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 1:42 PM

supposed to be a pm....sorry....hi all!

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-06-10 13:44 ]

Paipo
I love your hei-matau hooks there phenomenal .
the skull rock no pun intended .

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jun 14, 2008 1:30 AM

:drink: Tip of the glass to Ben, Loki, Surfintiki, Kinny, Robin and Slave2Tiki :drink:

Weeeeell - pretty quiet round here this weekend. Guess everyone's at the Hukilau getting thrown in the pool, dancing to great live exotica, sweating rum through their skin, and buying mindblowing artwork.
Me? I'll be sitting in the pool too - enjoying a tropical drink and dreaming of Florida....

Meanwhile, back in the shed, here's a quicker piece that was finished today - Austral Islands drum figure mask:

Tidy wee piece there cobber .
cheers .

Paipo
Nice work..... Your consistence is incredible ..
and by the way your pool looks like mine lol.....
I just got a 3.5 # piece of jade in yesterday ill have to post a pic for you.
Both you and Tama in my Book are THE JADE KINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 14, 2008 6:04 AM

Chin up buddy...we love you man!

-G$

J

Even your "quicker piece" look precision made. :) When you say quicker, how long is quicker?

PS Not all of us are at Hukilau, :(

B

Hey Paipo! I'm not at Hukilau either. Just slacking at home.

Love your new piece. Very minimalist. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Chinese Mystery Clay!

C

Nice one!very simple but very crisp!
... At list you are in a pool, don't complain! I'm freezing here!!! :D !

S

Nice you have a endless variety of shapes and sizes. I LIKE!

simple yet elegant....
those little divits are soooooo precise!
still a lotta personality for so little detail
mark of a true Master!
the boy IS consistent....
fret not my kiwi friend
we'll get you down to one of these events someday!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jun 18, 2008 4:41 PM

On 2008-06-15 04:30, JohnnyP wrote:
Even your "quicker piece" look precision made. :) When you say quicker, how long is quicker?

PS Not all of us are at Hukilau, :(

For me, quick is half a day or less - most of my complex pieces take 1 to 2 days. I love the simple stuff too - there are a handful of styles that have the cool modernist look and it's interesting tracing connections between them. I think I've been spending more time reading than carving lately - there are always 2 or 3 stacks of books dotted around the house to tempt me. I've been doing a lot more drawing than in previous years too.

Many thanks for all the happy vibes - it really helps keep me motivated to stay focused on my art. I had some unpleasant BS to deal with this week (which will be dealt with in another thread) and it is has been drawing energy I should be putting into my carving. On top of that I'm crazy busy with non-tiki work, which is good in some ways, but also preventing me from making pieces that I'm bursting to get out. Unfortunately , in these situations the deadlines always win. My backburner is now overloaded with shelved projects - clay, wood, and of course more stone tikis. They will come..eventually!

It ain't all bad, not by a long shot - I've got 2 weeks with my family in Australia to look forward to in September/October (and will be able to see my upcoming show there just before it finishes), and also just had a work accepted for a high profile exhibition that will showcase emerging artists across all mediums. One of my good carving/jewellery buddies also got in, which makes it even better!

B

I Know I SAW this piece and I thought I had already told you how simply elegant it was but I guess I forgot, Sorry. I thinks you needs to do a Bunch more like this style, you fit it well or it suits you well, however you want to do it, just DO More! :lol:

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 6:32 PM

After all the hassles that fell into my lap this week, it was nice to get something finished up and remind me of why I enjoy making tikis so much. I'd love to see the Indo carvers try and copy this! :lol:

I'll post more/better pics and info when I get some good light to work with.
Ben...you rock!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 6:35 PM

Almost forgot - bonus pic of the Austral mask:

Very nice paipo, Both of them are GREAT!!! That tongue is a nice addition, (this might be stupid but is it supposed to be a fern leaf? Also, those guys have nothing on you!

Craig

B

Thanks Paipo, So do You Rawck but most Of all this piece with the BIG Green tongue I got a feelin Rawks more than All of us put together. It's a Rawk Tongue for Crise sakes and he just Has SO Much stuff goin on that he's Waaay out there where no one will mess wit him Brau ya Hear??? This one with the Bananna leaf in his mouth is a Shaker and Stomper,,,You DO What he says When he Says, He's One straight up Dude. I think you need to feel just a teeny Weeney bit Proud of this one. He won't let Nobody get away wit Nutthin ya hear, Nutthin so don't even try.

Dude! that looks wicked! really REALLY awsome

On 2008-06-14 01:30, Paipo wrote:

Meanwhile, back in the shed, here's a quicker piece that was finished today - Austral Islands drum figure mask:

Hope you dont mind me adding this: I remember talking to you about the origins of this mask; the tie-down lugs on an Austral Isld drum. Finally found the pics I was looking for:

I can imagine you plucking this baby off a real drum & mentally willing it to solidify into stone.. :o

Love the newly finished mask. Funny, first thing I thought of was a fern/toungue too! Very cool how the jade goes back behind the eyes to also act as pupils. Has anyone ever told you that youre getting pretty good at this carving business?

*Invention is the key mate: move so fast that the ripoff merchants simply cant keep up.. (like LLT!) :wink:

ps: Im just waiting for the call 'Maitai O'clock' - I trust we will be supping from P'po mugs?

Very Nice the face with green tong insert WOW.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jun 20, 2008 2:24 PM

T-freak (and Tama)...a fern? Well, no, but yes, but...it was meant to be a sort of mini Rei-Puta, kinda like the Aussie jade piece I posted a while back with the notched sides. It's pretty simple and abstract, so I guess it's really in the eye of the beholder. Banana leaf anyone?

Ben, I love rawk tongues, I grew up on Kiss and I'm not shamed to admit I still dig 'em. So I guess everyone now knows why I make so many tongue tikis!

T, I knew you'd know/have that source pic somewhere. I really like the look of that whole rectangle-with-opposing-faces version too...hmmm....
Using the insert to create the eyes meant quite a bit of post-work fiddling around with the cavity to get everything nicely lined up, and in this case it's the stuff you can't see that took up a lot of the time.
Drinks aren't far away, I promise! Have I told you I've got 2 bottles of Tequila waiting over the hill?

Duddy and seeksurf - thanks for dropping by, glad you liked this new fella. Here's some better pics of him:

Hmmmm...ferns?

Gene Simmons Family Jewels...I get it!

B

Another Masterful Paipo Piece hits the streets. Your skills at this are really getting Scary, I think Tama hit the nail on the head when he was talking about you taking a piece of something and Willing it to be stone..
Then there is this "Bonus" picture?

Frickin' Unbelievable shot, Hard to get Lighting, Very Well done.

just too cool paipo! how do you set the jade into the stone? just curious

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 21, 2008 2:58 PM

Absolutely stunning, Paipo.

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Jun 22, 2008 6:23 AM

WHOA!! P-Dude! Tongue man rules!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 2:03 PM

Surfin, one day when I get the time to fully indulge my whims, I plan to do a full set of 4 KISStikis based on the makeup designs of the original members. That oughtta have the purists choking on their Mai Tais!

Ben, that was sitting about 12 inches away from me..it looked so nice I grabbed the camera and snapped off a few shots. The oblique angle works well for a lot of pieces - they often look pretty flat from the front-on view.
PS That box it's sitting on is chock full of jade beach pebbles :)

Duddy, the tongue is held in by the cord so it has a tiny bit of movement (which is great when it gets dropped on the floor!)
Because the top edge had to line up in the eye sockets, I spent ages getting the two carvings to fit together just right. Like I mentioned above, these "hidden secrets" can add a lot of extra work to a piece.

G, Kahu - Cheers!

This guy is now hanging around in the marketplace looking for a new home if anyone's interested - I've got a couple of tiki related commissions on the bench but things will be lean around here after that, until I get the next couple of shows out of the way.

That is awesome looking Paipo!

Great Job!

Jen

Hi Paipo - If there are any internet links to the shows in which you are participating could you list the links here. Thanks.

S

This mask tong is incredibly beautiful work.
The last pic with the trees his tong looks like
a leave also.

B

#46 is incredible. fantastic work.

Ben.

Paipo,

Sorry I haven't gotten over to your thread until now. Your work is incredible and very original. You have really fantastic detail to your pieces.

B

Your thread is getting lonely and needs a few pictures to make it feel better, hey Paipo?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 9:38 AM

Yeah, where have you been you lazy bastard?

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 8:30 PM

Thanks for the replies, and yes, not too much going down in the ol' thread lately. I have a pile of new pieces drawn up or thumbnailed on scraps of paper, but the carving has to wait until I meet a couple of upcoming deadlines. It would be frustrating, if not for the fact I'm really enjoying what I'm making at the moment!
timid: for various reasons, these days I prefer to keep my regular/contemp work separate from what I show here (unless it is loosely Tiki/Oceanic oriented), but I will be keeping my website more up-to-date from now on. I suspect you've probably already seen quite a few of the works in my upcoming shows anyway :)

I do have something shiny & new to post - recently GROG ask Paipo to make GROG nice Marquesan shell and stone breastplate:

Paipo suspect GROG's "to do" list move much faster once GROG start wearing this....

T

'struth mate , thats a cracking good piece

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 692 replies