Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

small wood carving from France. Short update last page

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies

All great stuff!

B

Well it's Nice to see your post updated Jerome and with Such Special Pieces,

This is tho ONE I have been Waiting for from you, Simply Too Beautiful for Words. Of course the carvings are utterly Gorgeous, you can just fill the box there with them and I'll tell you wherer to send it!
With this you have made my day so I can go and go to sleep now Thank you!!

S

Right on! you have to love the chain saw.

B

WOW

Hei matau
Koru
Moai
Knives Box
Kavakava

Everything's well begun... cases to follow.

Bennno

B

YES, I see Lots of Chips and tools and pieces in the works and whats missing are more photos of all those pieces in the works.
Not pushing you but,,, HURRY UP! :)

L
laojia posted on Sun, Oct 4, 2009 9:39 PM

HI everybody! Thank's for reply! :)

T-Mango, thank's for kind word!

BenZ, glad you like,I hope it will soon... and thank's for pushing!

Seek, I don't like chainsaw: too heavy , too loud :lol: ... Thank's for stopping here!

Bennno, I know you stay tuned!

Sorry no pics update for now! The life is full, next update with finished pieces when coming the trough of the wave...

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

L

Let's talk about this past storytelling several weeks ago...

On 2009-07-14 01:47, Paipo wrote:

He moves... It's alive...

Will I be able to control my creature...

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

thats awsome!! luvin the whole thing man! kick ass detail and carvin on that guy WOW!!! CHEERZ!!

B

That's some awesome masterpiece.
The story's not bad too !

Let's say B.R.A.V.O

Bennno.

That is a gorgeous carving. Love it.

B

Incredible work there Jerome this Kava Kava man will gain you much respect, it really shows your skill level is Way out there!

BD

beautiful piece jerome! you truly are dr. frankenkava and have brought a small block of wood alive. great piece, congratulations.

bd

T

Really nice carve, I'm glad you freed him.

C

oh no! Kavakavenstein It's alive, on the loose and very hungry, be careful out there! :)

L

Hello TC'ers! Thank's for reply.

BigTS: Thnx for enthusiasm and knd word! :roll:

Bennno: What do you here, I thought meet Gmail!!! :lol: Thank's for reply bro'

Kon-Hemsby: Thank's for the comp' !

BenZ: Hey sensei carver, :o it's too much honor for me with such compliments... Respect is first for you!

Big Daddy: Happy to see you here! This is a bit thanks to you, I remember where come from that piece of wood... :wink: And I still have half!

Tahitiki: Thank's for stopping here, me too I prefer free Kavakava...

Clarita: Yes Kavakavenstein it's alive and free! But be quiet, after passed some month to carved him I'm sure I can control it... 8)

Some month to carve him, but also somes pictures of the work in progress during this time ( in color ). I share these photos that can be used if other sculptors want to engage in this kind of work...

The first steps are described HERE, bottom of the page.

Then, the outline of the face, the ribs

ears

spine, it was a long evening

drilling the eyes, making inlays with bones and african blackwood. There I sweated...

angry mouth, too small I think

buttocks and legs

feet, careful not to break...

sanded

engrave the head with twin tangatamanu

Finishing hot linseed oil and polishing the(sunny)day after

This kind of sculptures are very specific in Polynesian art, we do not find anywhere else and many mysteries still prevail around this island lost so far in the east Pacific.
In many books have found representations of moai Kavakava simply with the explanation "ancestor figure" or other things like that. Other books reproduce the legend of King Tuu-ko-ihu, which passed by a hill met two "spirits" sleepy, frightened by their appearance he carved his vision in a hunk of Toromiro.
I also found another theory in a book about an ethnological expedition to Easter Island in 1964/65. Theory that I have not seen anywhere else, a doctor has examined these strange statues is inferred that this skinny men suffered from to dehydration, maybe have been reduced to drinking seawater or the brackish water, sources of clear water appears to be rare on Easter Island. He also said that the "fracture" between the dorsal and lumbar vertebrae and the Enlarged Thyroid Gland and the collapse of the neck, could be signs of radiation.
Another strange thing, these statues do not have body character of polynesian people. It recalls that several migrations took place around Easter Island and not necessarily from the west. Thus these moai kavakava might be representatives of survivors of the original inhabitants of the island carved by Polynesian immigrants probably frightened by their emaciated appearance.
I do not know if this is true, in any case these moai Kavakava have not finished to fascinate us.

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

Very nice Kavakava. It shows in your work and descriptions that you have done your homework concerning this guy. Those inlaid eyes are amazing as well.

Laojia...great carve on the Kava Kava. Looks like you poured a lot of
carving and research time into this one...congratulations.
Finish looks super too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! He's GLORIOUS! So impressed with all of it, the wood grain, the eyes, the details, HOT linseed oil?! He's ALIVE!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!
thanx for the story too!
A+

Jérôme... BRAVO!

Careful study and research mixed with your talent as a woodcarver all came together to produce this beautiful piece of art!

A piece to be proud of and hold onto forever!

S

Crazy Fabulous! Great work this fella is top shelf.
You should be a proud papa on this one.

L

WOW! TikiMango, Conga, Surfin', Lake and Seeksurf! :o
It's something to be happy to have so many compliments from talented carver!! Thank's, thank you all!!! :D

TM: thank's, for eyes inlay I really fear of spoiling, it was double or quits...

Conga: also thank's, and yes lot of time to research in this one...I think it was worth it. Now I'm waiting yours!

Surfin': Thank's for enthusiasm!!! Hot linseed becomes more fluid and will more easily and more deeply into the wood. In old times was boiled in linseed oil the wooden gears of mills to increase their hardness.

Lake: Thank's! Happy to see you here and more happy when you post an update with new pieces! :wink:

Seek: Yes I'm a proud papa... of my two daughters! Thank's for the comps! And what's new at the tiki bog?

There he is dressed in the latest fashion of mythology books of the 60's. :roll:

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

so what do you do for an encore? you definitely have a family heirloom that your children's children's children should fight over. can't wait to see what your next challenge will be. great work jerome.

bd

K

Holy cow! That sucker looks OLD! Nice work.

B

That's what I call a Masterpiece. Beautiful clothes by the way !

B.

reeeeally coooool!
c'est vraiment superbe! Bravo!

A
amate posted on Mon, Oct 26, 2009 2:39 PM

Outstanding !. . .simply outstanding. You may be interested in the Easter Island theories of Thor Heyerdahl presented in his book EASTER ISLAND: THE MYSTERY SOLVED.

B

Absolutely Incredible Jerome, you must have experience in a previous life, there is just too much detail done here for the small amount of experience you have in carving.
Tremendouj Job earning you big respect Sir!

Aloha Laojia! What an AWEASOME carve my friend!!! Keep it flowin! Aloha, Mooney

V

very nice artwork. Beautiful and so close to the originals. Bravo.

Nice Work. Could pass as original.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 9:01 PM

Hi everybody! Thank you for the interest in my work.

BigDaddy: Thank's for reply! for the next challenge I hesitate between a kavakava two head and a moai moko. But not right away, there are other things being...

kahaka: Thank's for the comp!

benella: thank you bro'!

TikiBaï: Merciiii!!

Amate: Thank you, I promise to read this book in a near future. Even if I do not think all the mysteries of Easter Island is solved... And it is very much like this, always keep one part for the dream.

BenZ: You make me blush! Thank you for your support sensei carver!

Mooney: Happy to see you here!

Virani: Thank you very much! This time I have really done a search before you start. Such comment is reward.

Tikimecula: Thank's for stopping here and thank's for the comp'! If I sell one day will not be less than original...

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

L

Almost finished...

...A gift for Mrs laojia's birthday

Thank's for looking!

Jérôme.

C

Oh a very beautiful piece you got there for Mrs laojia, that wood is awesome too, what a great gift!

B

Such a Fortunate Mrs. to have a Mr. carver like you to give such Beautiful carvings for birthdays. This is an Outstanding piece Jerome and one which Anyone would be Proud to wear around their neck. Beautiful small details like the small koru next to the cord opening make this an Exceptional piece.

P
pdrake posted on Sun, Nov 8, 2009 6:32 PM

On 2009-11-07 23:41, laojia wrote:
Almost finished...

...A gift for Mrs laojia's birthday

Thank's for looking!

Jérôme.

un beau hei matu!

is that purple heart?!!

i see a hole in it, it would be beautiful with a traditional lashing in black.

B

Now every woman want to be your wife ! :lol:

Extremely nice stuff bro.

Bennno

S

my first visit to your thread...some great carvings...lotza ideas and inspiration

L

Hello happy TC'ers!
Thank's too all for looking!

Clarita, thank you, she also has appreciated...

BenZ, thank's for the comps, much appeciated. In fact his small spiral gave me some difficulty ...I'm not the BenZ! Thank's again!

Pdrake, thank's for stopping here! Actually the cord work in black with toogle in the same wood. I'll post a pic next day...

Bennno, thank you! But what you say? You must knowing, she's the one!

skootiki, thank's for the visit, it's a pleasure! Come back when you want!

News from the workbench (as the weather permits...):

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

WOW nice work !

Pssssit: This Lono at the bottom reminds me someone :wink:

B.

L

Thank you Bennno!!! :D

But what's he remind you?

J.

B

Are those guys standing around Laughing at the upcoming Lono or are they ready to run away in fear? Whichever it is they are really neat.

T

Haha, brilliant! Great work and very clever photos. :)

T

On 2009-11-13 22:18, laojia wrote:

Love these dudes too. Very cool!

looks like someone is crying over spilled idols. kinda feels like i do when i break a piece off my carve. as usual jerome they look great.

bd

S

Looking good! you have a village of them coming out.
What do i see a lono? YES!

L

Hi everybody! Thank's for looking!

BenZ, thank's for reply! I have not yet decided on the scenario, still full of characters are to create...

BigT, thank's for the comp! Glad you like, I also have a good fun to do this...

Big Daddy, one sure thing : is not a spilled idol, is just a non-finished idol. Thank's for reply! Besides there a long time since we have not seen your work, what is it? Need you a BUMP?

Seeksurf, thank you! Yes is it a Lono, a study model (in a branch of magnolia) for a bigger piece later... And the four other is a hawaïan series: same size, same wood (beech), and one day same finish!

Also on the workbench this few past weeks: pendants in ebony

drawing, drilling...

knife work...

sanding and inlay...

Pekapeka (hi Andy!)

Manaia, tail side

Hei tiki (more work here)

A little sanding and polishing session and those three will be completed.

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

T

Nice, that ebony wood. Very classy.

Thanks for the photos showing the progression from stock to finish. I love that!

On 2009-11-17 11:48, laojia wrote:

Pekapeka (hi Andy!)

Very cool! Im honoured that you would choose my work as inspiration and am happy to say you have done the design proud, Ka pai!

:)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies