Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

small wood carving from France. Short update last page

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies

A
amate posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 3:26 PM

If you keep going like this, I'm going to have to start copying your work!!! :wink:

:Looking Great!

L

Hey! Thank's GROG! If you like dark Marquesan, see below... :wink:

Also thank you Clarita! :)

Amate! I hope to keep going like this! I hope also you copying my work one day!!! With your skills it should become something famous! :o

Thank you seek! :)

My trip Marquesan continues with two new pieces:

Wall hanging Marquesan mask in willow, stained varnished

Marquesan pendant made from water buffalo horn:

work in progress next a curious black wood hook

Polished

With his pedestal

remains to be done braiding and the toggle

Here the first frosts are already there, a sign that the season of heavy work is completed, the workshop is stored for the winter but the tools can also quickly be back with the first ray of sunshine...

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

On 2010-10-29 01:26, laojia wrote:

Can't find why I love this pix :wink:
Top shelf stuff bro'

B.

very niiiiiiiiice....is it me or does your shop look sad? nice and clean though just sad winter is coming.......

great work man.......just great. :)

H

I love your work.

B

WOW Jerome, Way Excellent bunch of goodies on the Marketplace, You've been BUSY, Excellent work, I see 10 I would love to have.
I think You have learned enough to fly off the branch on yer own, besides, the branch will make great pendants.
Thanks for the unveiling of your "ShopSmith", or your 7 in oneder machines and yes I remember the sanding part SO Long ago.

Great fine work, hope to meet you somewhere in france .

C

aww the Marquesan pendant is so great, with the pedestal and all, great design!

L

Hello TC'ers fellow! News from the far east of France!

-Thank you CC! Yeah, the workshop look sad when winter come. But a few rays of sunshine, a good sweater and a small auxiliary heater and everything comes to life...

-Also thank you Hiltiki!

-10 that you would love to have! Wow! 30% off for you BenZ! Thank you for support and comp' Sensei carver! Right now, the pendants are a little off, but great things starts...

-Thank you shrunkentiki! Sure, one day, somewhere... My latest piece, the maori panel, was started in La Rochelle six month ago...

-Clarita! The marq pendant is finally finished, cord work and toogle... Thank for the comp'!

Recent work:

A tiki mask, half sanded

Tiny maori panel finally completed:

Close up

Except tattoo, all hand carved with knives

The horn marq' pendant finally lashing with carved tusk toogle

Recent purchase: a beautiful walnut log, not expensive but just a bit heavy...

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

What a great job on that Marq pendant! And that walnut log is a monster, will it be a winter project, or will it have to wait for warm weather?

B

WOW
:o

M

Excellent stuff. I love the cleanliness of your lines. Top notch!

K
Kino posted on Sun, Nov 21, 2010 10:56 AM

On 2010-10-29 04:45, benella wrote:

On 2010-10-29 01:26, laojia wrote:

Can't find why I love this pix :wink:
Top shelf stuff bro'

B.

I really like this one too. The display takes it over the top !
Great looking other carves you have there too!

A little cool weather would get me going, especially with an indoor shop like that !

B

Superb Works Sir.
Love that log,,, what is it about 2feet by 6 feet?
Can't Wait to see what comes out of that one.

B

Oh Yeah, LOVE the Shop Shots!

T

Hey laojia, I see you got your shop all nice and clean for the winter. Can't wait to see what you do with the walnut log!

L
laojia posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2010 8:33 AM

ALMOST WEEKEND UPDATE! YEAH!!!

-Hey! Thank you Bill! The marq pendant is now on market place... The walnut log will be a spring project, much water in it and far too heavy to handle. First step chainsaw splitting for storage!

-Thank's for the WOW Bennno!

-Thank's for comment McTiki.

-Thank's for the comp' Kino. Actually we have 4 inches of snow and more to come... Difficult to make something in the work shop right now... but I'll do!

-2 feet by 6 feet! Right BenZ, incredible! You have the eye of the eagle! More shop shots to come!

-Hey BigT! Thank for stopping by! The work shop nice and clean only during the time of the photo. Hum...

Some pics of two Marquesan tiki achieve in my work during the year-end party
Theme of this year was "islands and sun"... make tiki was obvious, even if it was the first day of snow here.

Chainsaw carved into a collage of four planks of fir

Painted by a friend

In the reception room

Next week, I'll post better pics (I hope!) and some other works soon finished...

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2010 9:51 AM

A+++ on everything. Outstanding craftsmanship and design.

B

Excellent ending for the four Planks (Hey, that sounds like a group)
Perfect workmanship here Jerome...
Ya done with that log yet?

L

Haha! Thank's for A+++ Grog! You are an excellent international rating agency... :D

Hey Benz! When "four planks" become "four tops"! :P The walnut log is finally stored after much ado and handling and even a little back pain:

Start

First cut

Wedged before cut the other side

Done! Now storage and cleaning...

Other thing of this moment:

Tiki mask finished

A hunk of copper for sign it the tikis:

And as the chainsaw was on the way, I started another Tangaroa:

One smallest gone, one bigger come... :roll:

Tomorow an other update for toolz addicts...

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

H

Jerome you are one of my favorite tiki carvers on this sight. Your carvings are interesting and you are a great craftsman.

L

Wow hiltiki!! Thank you so much for the comp'! Really enjoyed this side of the ocean. I'm feel like a beginner when I see topics of the famous carver across this forum... The quote would be a challenge so much there.

As promising above some pics of my old Gran Pa adze . I again change the handle for a longer, so, I was take time to carve it a little bit, and polishing the edge.

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

A
amate posted on Mon, Dec 13, 2010 3:53 PM

On 2010-12-12 07:50, hiltiki wrote:
Jerome you are one of my favorite tiki carvers on this sight. Your carvings are interesting and you are a great craftsman.
Ditto the comment above. I couldn't have said it better.

I can't wait to see what you do with that walnut log. and . . . you even carve your tool handles!! That is one bad az adze :D

You got a nice adze! :wink:

B

Hey Jerome, Love the Adz and the Handle carving, Sure to gie aid in carving. Just watch those Toes!

L

Also full of thank you Amate!

I hope this adze appropriate property for the use that I want to do... Thank you Bill!

Thank's for comment BenZ! Don't worrie about my toes, I promise, I'll do something :P

A season carving:

Have a nice day!

J.

T

I think that is the first tiki snowman if have seen! I like the adze, but I think I would be afraid to use it! :lol:

Looks like there is a lot of great things going on in your garage.

How is carving walnut? It would seem like it would be a difficult hardwood. I love the black & white pics. Nice work!

L

Hey Big T, thank's by stopping here! Some other "snoai" here. The snow has melted now but the cold is still here... For the adze, I am aware of the danger. I am trying to design a smaller one.

Grand Poobah, for my part walnut is the wood for carving (in my country!). It is classified as semi-hard and the grain is held very well in the cut. This allows the details to work well and the finish is quite easy. The possibilities are great with the walnut and the grain is often superb.

Some news from the bone carving side of the work shop before a wooden update soon:

On the bench

Stylised Hei matau

New Hei tiki with paua eyes

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

W

WOW,
looking through your gallery & it's action packed with solid hits.
Nice.

B

Awesome Bone works Jero, the Hei-Tiki looks as if you have done Many of them and the Bone still looks alive! Of course thye Hook is Excellent too!

hey jerome...thats a great hei tiki you created. always enjoy seeing pictures of your shop. you should put a web cam in. but then that might be creepy.

im enjoying your sculpture in my office and love the pendant. thank you again.

great work as usual

A

That hei tiki is inspiring. Very nice!

S

MMum yes all kinds of cool looking works happening.

L
laojia posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2011 9:53 PM

-Thank's for stopping by and nice comment Wplugger!

-Hey BenZ! Also thank's for kind words! And you sensei carver, what's news on your work bench?

-Hey John CC! A web cam in the workshop...Great idea! But I fear that bug pretty quickly with all the dust that reigns supreme in this place ... when it is not frozen by the cold...
I'm happy to have news from Your tiki under the sun of the Florida
Thank's to you!

-Thank you too Amate! Hope we see an Hei tiki from you one days...

-Thank you Craig! And you, what's new around the tiki bog? Here it's time for wooden update from workshop:

First, a large Tangaroa carved in larch, stained varnished

the picture can be misleading, it is 43 inches high and 13 for diameter

Also some small carving framed:

Basswood and beachcombing

And almost almost finished, a sepik inspired figure:

Stained and painted yesterday, the first coat of varnish is still in progress of drying... Better and colored pics soon!

All that almost ready for our next event who start next week in my town:

More info here

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

sweet sepik carve jerome.........you can go ahead and mail that one to me too. got a spot right next to your other one. hee hee.

love the sepik styles

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2011-02-07 14:53 ]

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Feb 7, 2011 3:37 PM

Beautiful Sepic! Esp. in Black and White. Very nice works.

Where are the color pics?????!!!!!!

Cool stuff! Love the Sepik...and yet ANOTHER event coming up! Looks great!

L

Hello TC'ers fellow! Time for an other european tiki carving update

-Thank you CC! Unfortunately this one does not pass through the mailbox, but I think to make a smaller. May even be well a set in this style ... :wink: Mp soon!

-Thank's McTiki! The black and white picture was a teaser... :roll: And the light was not good to evening...

-Hey Tom, colored pics come below...

-Thank you Dave! Yep! The new Tiki Tribe is a success! Many cool people came on the opening night, also many customer! A great evening! And there is still a month of expo...

Some pics:

The Shop entry:

Inside with the work of the Tiki Tribe members, Baï, Benella, Akuae, Coxico, Shrunkentiki, Tikiller and my self:

Virani and me, serving at the bar:

More pics here

Here are the pictures of the Sepik, early morning, in the darkness of the workshop:

Poplar, stain and acrylic, varnished

Pedestal details:

Carved bone in the nose:

In Shop Garageland:

Also finished and already sent, a commisionned work, a folding heart pendant. Pink ivory with paua inlay:

Face:

Back:

Folded in the gift box in ash, walnut and ebony:

Already on the work bench, a comtemporary maori, also in Ash:

And a new one started:

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

A
amate posted on Sat, Feb 19, 2011 8:40 AM

Lots of very nice stuff. I love the sepik !!!!

great stuff jerome.....id end up chopping my leg off with that adz ya got there. your work is always so clean and perfect......love the sepik.....just do

B

Nice stuff Jerome, Love the framed trio, now tell me What are the eyes inlaid with??

C

Great job on the new ones, congrats on the event too.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Apr 4, 2011 9:40 PM

Hi TC'ers fellow!

Long time I'm don't post here... Thank's all for stopping by and write comments and kind words.
Sunny days are back and workshop is full of uncomplete work...

-Thank you Amate, the Sépik will be the first of a serie I think. Lot of fun to carve it! :wink:

-Also thank you John CC! The adze is still a bit dangerous ... Like all cutting tools! Always pay attention to the work axis and weight gesture to control the cutting. Thank's again!

-Thank you Sensei carver! The framed trio is inlayed only with beachcombing find: An urchin shell for the Tangaroa, a tiny mussel for the Lono and french abalone ( give by Benella! ) for the maori.

-Thank you too Clarita! Now I'm going to carve more tiki again, the event went very well and there remains no much to back home.

Some pics of recent tiki work:

roughing for the next weeks and a new adze:

The Adze finished:

A carved frame for Jimmy Virani...

...for his Robb Hamel black velvet painting
Almost finished!

Two non-tiki pieces, commissionned work:

A carved owl perched in a double lamp:

And some flowers carved in oak...

...finishing with mother of pearls find on the beach near the towers of Belem(Lisbon) last summer.

Just for fun, a ring made from a steel nut:

And Lono, best look with his new patina I think, soaking up the sun in the garden:

Thank's for looking!
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

C
cy posted on Tue, Apr 5, 2011 8:15 AM

Great work laojia! Especially like the adze and the owl lamp. Also like your workshop. Thanks for sharing.

W

This lil guy gets around more than me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies