Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies

Painting by Zerotiki has found a new home in the CongaLounge.
Colors are great and I love it. Fits nicely next to the door
into the back bar

Many thanks Zero....happy to have it!

Did someone say "Tiki Bob"? Sounds like a good theme (I like Palapala's "7 Deadly Sins" theme too) Is it too early for another swap? Will someone volunteer to organize it? I'm kinda a newbie, how's this work?

I received my MP mug this week!
The pictures didn't do it justice. It's outstanding!
A true work of art.
I made out like a bandit. :)

I was going to put it with my other mugs but, after seeing it
in person, decided it should go in the living room so it could
be seen by more people.

Here are a couple of pics:

Thanks, MP!

L
Liana posted on Thu, Jul 16, 2009 1:41 AM

On 2009-07-15 15:44, MadDogMike wrote:
Did someone say "Tiki Bob"? Sounds like a good theme (I like Palapala's "7 Deadly Sins" theme too) Is it too early for another swap? Will someone volunteer to organize it? I'm kinda a newbie, how's this work?

It is not too hard to organise a swap. First you have to put it out there. Start a thread saying you think it would be a good time for a swap - ask people for opinions on the theme and whether or not enough people want to participate. Set a cut off date - by this date everyone who wants to participate in the swap needs to have photos of the finished product posted on the swap thread. This is so you know they have a product to swap. In past swaps (on other forums) some people havent had their piece finished by the due date but said that they would so they were still included. They then get their new swap piece from their partner and then slack off finishing and sending theirs. To stop this from happening you need to be tough on the cut off date - no photo of the finished piece then they will not be included in the swap. After the cut off date write down all the names of the people who posted photos of their finished pieces, cut the names up seperately and put them in a hat/box, draw the names. The first 2 names drawn out of the hat will be swapping partners, the next 2 names drawn will be swapping partners, and so on till all the names have been drawn..

In the end the organiser simply acts as a facilitator of the swap - they also need to make the final decision on time frame, theme etc.

N
nuKKe posted on Thu, Jul 16, 2009 2:35 PM

Another swap method is chain-swapping, i.e A sends to B who sends to C and so forth.

I don't mind organizing either. I used to be involved in the mail-art scene and art/craft-trade movement a(and managed to combine some tiki in it every now and then) and organized quite a few swaps and LMAO's (Land Mail Art Objects). It's as simple as Liana put it really.

On 2009-07-16 14:35, nuKKe wrote:
I don't mind organizing either.

After reviewing the record, it seems that Tiki Bob was YOUR idea! You have to organize it :lol:

I'm not trying to rush things, maybe people need some time off before another swap. But I've got my sketchbook out and I'm working on a few ideas :D

I say...Lets get this next art swap into gear!!!

My motor is Revvin' also!!

Whats the theme...Tiki Bob??

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2009-07-16 20:24 ]

L
Liana posted on Fri, Jul 17, 2009 1:11 AM

I feel that it may be a little too soon to start a new swap yet - all the participants from this swap haven't even received their new pieces of art yet! Also, you guys spent alot of time and effort creating the art for this swap - have a break!! :P

Dang, Congatiki! You have amazed and awed me with your PNG mask-y goodness!
AMAZING!!!!

here he is watching over my mug cabinet... an important job for my newest buddy...

Millions of Mahalos, Man!!!!
~Zero

N

On 2009-07-17 01:11, Liana wrote:
I feel that it may be a little too soon to start a new swap yet - all the participants from this swap haven't even received their new pieces of art yet! Also, you guys spent alot of time and effort creating the art for this swap - have a break!! :P

I agree.

I can wait (if I have to :) )

The Zero is working it NOW!
~Zero

[b]Visit Zerotiki!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-07-18 00:28 ]

L
Liana posted on Sat, Jul 18, 2009 1:34 AM

On 2009-07-18 00:27, ZeroTiki wrote:
The Zero is working it NOW!
~Zero

[b]Visit Zerotiki!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-07-18 00:28 ]

But Zero - how on earth could you be working on it when a theme hasn't been decided on yet? :P

I'm in for the next one as well....no matter what.

Hi All, well I received my swap from Tobunga and the stuffed PNG guys are amazing!!! I will post pictures soon. Thanks to all who organized,HEWEY, Liana and others kept us on track and got the PNG going, thanks again

Amy

Z

Umm...I'm gessoing canvases?

V

Ok! First up, I'm down for another swap, and I like the Tiki Bob theme. I already have the Zombie Bob mug built in my head :)

Secondly, and most importantly, I GOT MY SWAP ITEM! I actually got the HUGE box from Traveling Jones a few days ago, but I forbade myself from opening it till his mug was all packed up and shipped. Well, this morning was the great unboxing, and I am on cloud 9. Sadly, the good camera's battery is dead - so I snapped a few shots with the not-so-good cell phone. My office is a work-in-eventual-progress, and eventually will look a lot nicer than this! :) Until construction begins, I thought Jonsey's amazing idol would like to keep these fellows company:

Huge mahalo to Traveling Jones, and to Hewey for organizing the swap!

Henrik

I too am down for the do...

I would like to paint a gorgeous Tiki Bob in smooth oils with little glassy highlights. I do not own Tiki Bob, I do however own the Book of the ONE TRUE BoB!
This may necessitate my painting from a photograph... such is life, or the imitation of it anyway.

If people aren't ready to do the dew they needn't participate... Jus' chill 'til the next episode.... cue Dre and Snoop.....

WERD!

ST

I am also in for whatever the group decides

Amy

Sorry for the delay in posting a picture of my swapped art from leleliz.
Very cute!

P

Here's Hewey's picture in "The Poi Dog Paradise"!
All the way from down under.

a perfect match with my cute lil' Negrita Rum plaque,
and buff guy tuna wrassler!
Mahaloz again, Hewey!

Make me somthing Tripical. You know,a mai-tai,with 3 shots of rum!
Is it just me, or do whales look like they're built upside down?

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-07-26 16:52 ]

P

I'm of the "team no Bob" camp for the next swap...

How about a "tiki from the back of your fridge" theme...Think of the science project gone horribly wrong possibilities!

Sneaky, why did I know you were a fellow S-genius?

Moai heads full of FROP to ya!
~Zero

Frop? Delicious!

YEEEE-HAW!
Finally found a perfect spot for Bongofury's
awesome modernist mask!
what a beaut!
Thanks Bongo!
swaps rule!

M
mp posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 2:40 AM

Ive had my Artosuarus PNG painting for a while now. Its awesome.
Sorry about the dark pic, its in my studio. Unfortunately my tiki bar stuff is still
packed away. Soon my tiki bar flag will fly again and my painting will be home.
Thanks a million Artosuarus! MP

I received the tiki bag form Tiki Diva Love yesterday. Even though it clashed with my outfit today the bag will be used quite a bit. My 2 daughters have been fighting over it since I unwrapped it - Thanks.

I'm looking forward to the next Swap. I say NO Tiki Bob - too limiting. I would like to stay away from "Mainstream Pop Tiki". Lets push the envelope - here are my suggestions:

• regional (PNG...)
  • animal
  • cannibal
  • weapons/war clubs

CANNIBAL! CANNIBAL!

weapons would be bad ass cool ....but international shipping may be cost prohibitive,imagine what it would cost to send a 3 foot hunk of jagged wood to germany from the praries lol
CANNIBAL! ,my vote as well great idea.

KAN-O-BULL!!!! :lol:
That would be an awesome theme!!!

When do you think you'll do the next one? I think I'll throw my hat in the ring too, looks like way too much fun to pass over again. Cannibals! MMmmmmm, tasty.

V

I'm down for animal or cannibal. I've done a cannibal mug (or two) already, but I'd be up for another go at it. Now that I think of it, I've got to finish the animal mug I already started (Fresh Crab Leg). Perhaps I'll do an animal cannibal! The only theme I'm not thrilled by is the regional one - but that is just me.

Henrik

B

I'm in for the next one!!

What am I supposed to do with my Tiki Bob sketches now? :lol: Cannibals sounds like a cool theme!

fine young cannibals

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 5:17 PM

Once again I will express interest, but hopefully I'll actually come through next time. Sometimes it is really hard for me to get an extra piece out when I need all my work to pay bills in the off-season.
One more vote for "NO BOB" - he's been kinda done to death in recent months and it seems everyone is doing a mug version. I suspect the cannibal theme would be slightly limiting too - the whole "tiki eating another tiki" with added skulls has also been pretty well covered in recent times and is getting a little tired (Kinny's cannibals excluded :) ).
I personally think the design brief should be very open in scope so we get to see whole lot of pieces that don't look the same. In this regard I think this last swap was probably the best ever. Choosing a specific culture or a universal theme like animals forces people to make some effort with their research and ensures plenty of surprises. Using the animal theme as an example, I can think of the following creatures I've seen in Oceanic art:
Fish, birds, crocodiles, octopus, turtle, pig, dog, lizard - and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty more to be found. Just fish and birds on their own lend themselves to limitless interpretation...

V

Yeah, what Paipo said! (even though it doesn't count since he wasn't in the last swap :) )

Animals are the way to go. WIDE open - I can think of a zillion neat directions, and it is open to a lot of interpretation. It is, by far, my favorite theme idea.

Henrik

L

I was only thinking Tiki Bob because secretly I wanted to win one of Bai's Peanut Bobs!

But any topic is good for me ...I like the kan-i-bull idea also. or shruken heads. or pretty much anything . I aint picky!

1 more vote for animals.

Howzit peapo! :D

I'm on a creative high after the last Tiki Art Swap and the regional theme 'PNG' sucked me in with a passion! Absolutely limitless in concept and no restraint of direction... MINDBLOWING!... and the variety of interpretive submissions proved that...abstract, traditional, modern,or whatever artistic approach... every entry was a powerful image and soulful mirror of each person that hit the deadline.

That said, I searched back to see how the Tiki Art Swap began and I'm looking forward to the next one. In my research I found "Tiki art swap #4 - Vintage poly pop menu cover inspired art".

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27949&forum=7&hilite=art_swap

This art swap theme appeared to have mass interest from a lot of folks...a limitless concept and plethora of resources...a vast sea without a horizon to sail! Somehow it became vapor and like the mid century tiki palaces we all worship...ceased to exist.

I propose a revival of this long lost art swap theme and pay homage to the imagery that is the foundation of our tiki community.

Are you inspired to take this challenge???

:tiki: Vintage Menu Poly Pop! :tiki:
...pssst...(this includes Tiki Bob, cannibals and all themes suggested by Alohastation :wink: )

:tiki: UNITE TIKI PEAPO'z: Vintage Menu Poly Pop Art! :tiki:

L

Cool idea..like I said..I am game for anything whenever we decide to do it!

V

Ahhh yessss... the vintage menu tiki swap. Many moons ago a group of artists got together to create works based on vintage menus, and THEY WERE NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN! maniacal laughter

Seriously, I do remember this one fizzling out. I remember specifically because I didn't have any good reference and was freaking out! I'm still behind it, or the animal theme. Just gimme a direction and a deadline and I'll start pushing the clay!

Henrik

I'm in for whatever.....
I really like the research involved in these swaps :)
Anything thats feeds my brain....
speaking of brain feeding,
Cannibal still sounds good!! :D

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 7:32 PM

It sure did fizzle, and I'm really not sure why. Maybe it just wasn't the right time for a swap?
I originally suggested that theme specifically because I thought it allowed plenty of scope and everyone would be on the same footing resource-wise. Between the incredible eye-candy of Arkiva Tropika (warning - do not click on the "menu" tag unless you have a good connection, as it loads every menu in AT onto one page!) , Critiki and this very site, there is a ton of paper ephemera posted online. Not to mention the Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern, which most people here probably have access to.
Pretty much every type of traditional tiki has been illustrated on a menu at some point, along with saucy wahines and buff kanes - but if you want to get a little more offbeat (I know I would) there are some of the most whimsical and bizarre poly-pop creations you will ever see (including cannibals!).
That said, I am digging the animal theme a lot - but if there is still interest in a Vintage Menu theme I'd love to have a crack at it again!

M

I'm all in for the vintage Poly pop menu theme! There are so many directions to go with that one. Already got a list of a dozen ideas!!!

After looking over the websites Paipo posted...
I think the vintage menu theme would be really cool...
There are many thoughts that come to mind with this theme.
I think there would be some really cool original ideas spawned from it...
I vote....Yes!!! :)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 28, 2009 9:19 PM

The next swap theme is 'Poly Pop Menu Inspired Art' :D
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33330&forum=18&1

Ok Im in I have no idea what happend last time. , but menu cover art is one of my fav's

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies