Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2009 #1 - PNG Theme. Done and dusted!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies

Hey everyone.....I've been missing in action for quite some time now...but I am totally stoked to get in on this....please add my name to the list!!!

Robb-Chongo-Ravers!
YAY! the more the merrier!
:) :) :)

Hey AlohaStation..
Nobody calls LLT a tease!
Here ya go
til i kin git a good scan...

"Walk thru the Jungle"
16 1/2" tall by 6" wide
sumi and gold ink,gouache on Aquarelle Water paper
(100% cotton!)
i love saying that!

i suggest you all help to harass,er persuade
Bowana,Babalu,Squid,BigToe,Clysdalle,Oceanotica,suburbanpagan,Basement kahuna
and all those other elitist artsy fartsy doods!
It would be a very cool experiment to see what the whole could do if shifted into one particular direction......
Imagine the LEAP!
man! this would be a great way to curate/focus an art exhibit!

Also PM Gambino,Yaniger,Horne,C'Al,Bosko,Tama! Benzart
Don't harass these guys,ask them nicely...

http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=0

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-05-11 08:57 ]

Paipo's already in.

Looks great Ken, PNG is your element.

I LOOOVE IT!!!! :) :) :) it would be perfect in my living room! :)
and I think you're right.. all this can make a fantastic exhibition actually :wink:
bravo à tout le monde!!

B

All this work looks sooo FINE!

I've done pretty much every trade so far and I really wished I could do this one, but I'm pretty much out of town for the rest of the month :( I guess I'll just have to sit this one out and watch from the sidelines.

Has anyone else noticed?...The work that is showing up on TC lately is just OUTSTANDING! Everybody is really starting to gel these days. I'm really happy to be a part of all of this.

Tiki Central ROCKS!

Somebody get a mop!! There are creative juices flowing all over this here place!

Here are the first scribblings for my piece.
I decided to go the 60's spy route. These are my first thumbnails under
the title "The New Guinea Vendetta". I couldn't decide between the album cover format
or the book cover format:

I'm leaning toward the book cover format (although I threw in a soundtrack cover just fer kicks).
I also changed the name to "The New Guinea Contract":

And here is the version I finally settled on:

Will I get it done in time? Will there be even more changes? Did I write this last question just so
there would be three?

Stay tuned and find out.

Anthony Carpenter
My Sketch-Blog: http://sketchville-sketchman66.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: artosaurus 2009-05-11 09:15 ]

Anthony!
Close your eyes and pick one! They're ALL peachy!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, May 12, 2009 7:44 AM

DONE :)

Finished my 12" x 16" PNG painting last night. I've titled this piece "THE SMOKER".
I shot my new photo this morning under fluorescent lights - obviously not the best for color reproduction - sorry.
In person this painting is vibrant and you know, kinda spooky..his eyes follow you around the room.

Pretty stoked with the finished image and since this one goes to somebody in TC-Land, I'm going to paint a sister canvas to keep for myself!

Hope you enjoy this work as much as I enjoyed painting it. Because of that I'm going to do more PNG inspired works in the future.
Today I'm keeping busy painting surfing / wave / beach / beachfront amusement park images to debut at Tiki Oasis in August.

Let me see YOUR work. I'm curious as hell.

Cheers! Greg

BT

artosaurus, that's an awesome set of drawings, they all have tons of character. Would be a cool comic book I think.

Everyone elses stuff is looking great. I found some sculpey and have been playing with it a little. Not sure which way I'm going now or if I'll make the deadline.

TikiG, way cool! Yes, tobacco (and STDs); our gift to Polynesia :)

I wanna play, put me on the list!

When's the deadline again? :lol:

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 13, 2009 1:45 PM

"TikiG, way cool! Yes, tobacco (and STDs); our gift to Polynesia"

Thanks MadDogMike - your reply makes my afternoon.

I made a 3x6 inch Baining Mask Pendant as a sketch or test tile but I'm not happy with the way it turned out. I got some red & black underglaze pens but I'm not impressed with them; it's difficult to make even lines and there were some places where the glaze peeled away from the bisqued ceramic, I think I can do better with a brush. I also didn't like the design in some places so I will modify it to make it bolder and less "busy", I'll put some white separation between the black and the red. I do like the test beads though :)

EDIT- I also got some paper clay which is supposed to be lighter when fired, I'll try another pendant with it.

I'm gonna sit right here, I'm gonna watch the sun
Disappear into the ocean, it's been years since I smelled this salty sea.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-05-14 09:51 ]

here is the link to my carving page in the other forum, I posted the "just about done" swap piece, I hope you like it

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21984&forum=7&start=last&162
Amy

L

project of my offering:

Soon hand carved in a block of Grenadill wood (Dalbergia melanoxylon)

N

a crappy cell-phone pic from the sunny studio.
work in progress,to be continued next week, fixing up the rough carving with tinier tools and stuff. inspired by a wooden shield brought to Tel Aviv by my brother's friend mom, the former PNG consul in Israel, who lives in an apartment that looks like a hidden storage space at the Met.

NuKKe & Laojia, nice progress shots - that African Blackwood is going to be so cool for your Yipwan figure.

I see an international cast forming. Representation from Australia, Canada, England, France, Israel, New Zealand, and the US from the East Coast to the West Coast and Hawaii! Plus a few who are too cryptic to name their location. If Bakersfield California is the armpit of the world, I'm thinking "The Thumb" would be somewhere in Kansas? And "The Eastern Edge of Western Civilization" would be about Turkey or Armenia :)

the thumb would be in the Atlantic,Mike
off the coast of Virginia..

Thanks Ken. Like an island?

this is shaping up to a great swap, so many cool things!

Amy

I finished my PNG Baining Fire Dance Mug

I wanted the fire to look realistic, not like cartoon or hot rod flames. Outside is a matte finish lava gray and the inside is glossy black. The ceramic beads in the first picture are for a matching pendant that I am remaking after my failed first attempt (see above)

I have a few more ideas for Papua New Guinea inspired pieces. I'm not too sure about the ins & outs of "Art Swap Etiquette"; can I make more than one item and give my swap partner a choice?

Z

so, here I am, plugging away at my painting, and then it hits me like a rush of brains to the head...

I am painting New Zealand style, not New Guinea!

The sound of me repeatedly smacking my head alerted the gods of tiki to my plight, and I am now on a much more PNG track.

D'oh!

~Zero

Ok now that Im finally done with my pieces for hukilauy I can start on my swap piece. should just make it under the wire. Atleast you guys know Im still in.

great Baining mask mug,Mike!
you are the MAN!
Still trying to get Toe,Squid,and Clysdalle into the Swap...
But they're either busy,frazzled,or self-absorbed to join the fun!
so persuasive PMs are requested...
Eric Tobunga showed us what he's doing for the Swap last Sat
and MAN! are you kids gonna be stoked! Jaw-dropping!

here my dukduk.. but It will change.. Because I don't like the way the glaze turned...

R

On 2009-05-19 00:29, Tiki Ba� wrote:
here my dukduk.. but It will change.. Because I don't like the way the glaze turned...

SO CUTE!!!

Holy DUK!

incredible!

WOW!! thats AWSOME!see no reason now fer the rest of the BIG artists to jump on board this here contest !the work that is already listed is really unbelievable!

V

Bai - that is amazing!

I gotta get my act in gear - the deadline is approaching fast! So much cool stuff in the swap this year. Mad Dog - love the mug, and can't wait to see what you do with the beads.

Hope to push some clay around tomorrow night -

Henrik

well this is my entry into the crazy world of ART SWAPPING!
PNG from CANADA!

hope it measures up to the rest of em !

Baï I think the Duk Duk is perfect just like it is. But I can also understand when a project doesn't quite measure up to what you planned. (of course for me, that's almost every project :wink: )

Tikiville great work, looking beautifully weathered like it was carved 50 years ago.

Wow, Tikiville, that looks fantastic!! Did you torch it for the raised grain or use a different method (sandblast, acid, etc.)?
Love it! :)

It's AWESOME Tikiville!!!

OK this is a message to all the participant for the swap... does Hewey told you that you have to ship all your great art to me in France??? I'm gonna take reeeally care of them!!! I promess!!!! :D :D :D
I'm kidding! :) but actually I love all your work!!
BRAVO!

bai, tikiville, mike, laojia, and all the others are so amazing! wow

Amy

whew.....well thats a load off my mind .I figured that as I was just startin' out with the carving thing and this was my first contest that it would be kinda easy ....lol ,as they say the hardest part is letting go ! I ,like a poppa ,was proud of they way it came out but I figured "what do I know?" ....so thank you for the kind words and hope it goes to a good hut!
cant wait to see what everybody else comes up with !
so ....c'mon , lets see some progress shots!

On 2009-05-19 22:17, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Wow, Tikiville, that looks fantastic!! Did you torch it for the raised grain or use a different method (sandblast, acid, etc.)?
Love it! :)

Hi Tikiville -- just bumping my question to you :)

ACID!? ...I haven't done that in years!
really , I just didn't want to let the cat outta the bag...the answer I found way back in the annels(?) of TIKI Central !
was the search worth it ? sure was ! ( thats a big thank you to all of the folks that started this and all the folks that posted great information in the begining!....and it's good that there is no time limit on the old stuff here)
so dont feel too let down I didn't get much of an answer from TIKI LEE either! lol

M
mieko posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 2:34 PM

Wow! There is some incredible stuff already!!! I'm getting started on mine - I've been swamped, hopefully I'll finish in time!

Babalu! It's such a bummer you can't join - the PNG stuff that you have been doing lately has been incredible!!!

I'm so glad this is going forward - I look at my current swap pieces all the time and am always amazed at the stuff I've gotten.

Mieko

V

I was lucky enough to receive a few choice Meiko pieces in the last art-swap I did, and they are GREAT! Stoked to hear that you are in this swap too - maybe I'll get lucky again!

Henrik

PS - I am freaking out about what to make. Been googling PNG for a few days now - still trying to wrap my head around the style and an idea. Stress!

It's not rocket science but....ok.

I use the most common method which is to use a propane torch to scorch the surface of the wood. A wire brush is used to remove the charred wood--leaving a raised grain since the meat of the wood chars faster than the grain. I repeat as necessary to make the effect more dramatic. A simliar result can be obtained via sandblasting with a compressor (as done at Disneyland) or with certain types of acid.

Cat..say goodbye to bag.

ya you could do it the easy way !
but where's the fun in that ! lol
( got a whole bag full of cats ! hahaha)

Who's up for scorching a bag of cats with a propane torch?
:)

So much great work already from youse cats!
And the due date is the end of May or June?

if it's June-this could get real BIG!

L
Liana posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 5:29 PM

On 2009-05-20 16:23, little lost tiki wrote:
And the due date is the end of May or June?

if it's June-this could get real BIG!

Finished pieces are to be photographed and posted on this thread by the END OF JUNE - JUNE 30 :)

On 2009-05-20 15:18, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
It's not rocket science but....ok.

I use the most common method which is to use a propane torch to scorch the surface of the wood. A wire brush is used to remove the charred wood--leaving a raised grain since the meat of the wood chars faster than the grain. I repeat as necessary to make the effect more dramatic. A simliar result can be obtained via sandblasting with a compressor (as done at Disneyland) or with certain types of acid.

Cat..say goodbye to bag.

A power washer will do it too if you happen to have one.

Wood choice an an issue too; hardwoods with close grain won't work well but a softwood with coarse grains like fir, pine or cedar work really well.

Uh oh, was that cat previously in a bag too? :wink:

LLT & Amy, thanks. Henrik, here's what I did with the beads, a matching pendant to go with the mug.

It's big and gaudy, about 3x6 inches. Kinda heavy too, I'll throw it in with the mug but only if it doesn't add significantly to the cost of shipping :)

It's still 6 weeks to the deadline, what else can I make?

T

Wow! Everyone is creating such awesome art! This is gonna be one sweet art swap!

I couldn't decide what to do exactly, so I started off with a couple of plush PNG tikis so far...

Each figure is about 12" high. They are constructed of various fabrics, including flannel, felt, corduroy, terrycloth and satin.

I'd still like to do a couple of drawings too, so my trading partner will probably be getting three or four pieces from me... hey, sometimes quantity IS quality!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know the type of PNG tiki the black Trader-Vic's-logo-looking one is? Jonpaul mentioned from which region this tiki comes, but fer the life of me, I can't remeber what he said!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 398 replies