Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

My Newest Favorite Drink, What's Yours?

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

I thought that this would be a fun topic, because I believe that most of us "Tiki Boozers" keep trying to find the ultimate drink and are continualy experimenting

My newest favorite drink is the Hawaiian Eye. The recipe can be found on page 39 of Beachbum Berry's "Intoxica" book. It is very simple, if you have some good falernum, Gold Rum, White Rum , Fresh Lime and Sugar Syrup. I can hardley wait to try it on my friends. What's your newest favorite drink?

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-08-24 21:47 ]

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-08-24 22:22 ]

One of my favorites as well. Worth hunting down a bottle of falernum just for this drink!

Sorry that I did not give a good description of the drink itself, but I had four in succession, and I forgot. The drink itself is very well balanced, and really lets the flavor of good rum be realized, while being very smooth and refreshing. I did change the recipe, as I was to lazy to blend the drink. Instead I enjoyed it over crushed ice. I also filled my mug twice with the recipe doubled.

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-08-24 21:12 ]

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-08-24 21:30 ]

P

The latest thing that I have been mixing is a Ramos Gin Fizz. I just recently got together all the ingredients, downloaded several recipes off the internet and tried a few until I found the best one - one the tastes like they make 'em at the Fairmont in New Orleans. I know it's not a tiki drink - not even remotely polynesian, but it's a hella good drink! It has also been a nice change of pace from sweet run drinks.

K

Lately I've been into Zombies as described in the Tiki Drinks book by Adam Rocke, except I've been making them frozen and using orgeat syrup instead of creme de noya.

S

Since I can't have alcohol, I actually have more freedom in some ways for experimentation. In other words, I can have drink after drink and never have to worry about consequences! My taste of late has run towards the Fog Cutter and the Rum Runner (all made with coffee syrups). Very, very nice and very authentic tasting!

Beachbum's Own from that same book is my favorite, hands down, and that is not said without some degree of thought.. me and (Swanky, maybe?) as far as I know are probably two of only a few people here obsessive enough to have worked our way through every drink in both books. They are all good...I have always liked the Planet Of The Apes and the classic Hurricane from the Grog Log but the Beach Bum's Own is the tops. Now who can help me in my quest to reverse engineer the Mai Kai Zombie recipe -the best Zombie ever made, absolutely cut and dried! (just kidding, Kern...I bow in deep respect to something so sacred!)

W

When goin' out lately I've been drinkin' Pink Gin. It's just gin and bitters. It's s'posed to be a strained drink, like a Martini, but I've been getting it on the rocks and in the process misinforming bartenders all over western Washington...Which'd be very embarassing for them when the next Pink Gin order comes around, 'cept most likely that won't be too soon, if at all.

Lately I been drinkin' Missionaries downfall and my friends love it. I know it's a common drink so i won't list the various recipies I use.

K
Klas posted on Tue, Aug 26, 2003 6:41 AM

"Pineapple Paradise" (Intoxica p. 68) although I had to substitute the peach brandy with peach liqueur (De Kuyper Peach Tree). I also shake it with ice cubes instead of crushed ice for IMO the best result.

BK, I guess I'll have to try the Beachbum's Own this weekend! I thought that the recipe looked good.

By the a couple of weeks ago I started making Blue Hawaiians, I actually thought they tasted pretty good, despite some of the negative reviews that I have seen. They are a bit on the sweet side, so I have experimented with adding a 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice to cut it. It worked well. Ultimetly, I think that using fresh pineapple juice will make a huge difference, will make the drink a beautiful killer! I will report my results.

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-08-26 08:31 ]

"Planet of the Apes" from the Grog Log. In fact, anything with lots of banana in it. I've got bananas on the brain lately.

A Kona Nightingale: Kaluha, vodka, & coconut milk.

Probably the classic Mai Tai is my all time favorite. I like a double Mai Tai in a hollowed out pineapple w/an umbrella & pineapple garnish, too.

As a side bar, what're your favorite drinks that aren't made with rum? My wife has a bad reaction to rum & prefers bourbon or vodka based drinks.

BK, I managed to purchase the Licor 43, made "Beachbums Own". I do like the drink very much, and have had a couple sessions. The recipe just wants to be quadroupled, and that is how I approached it. To share of course! It is drinks like that, that keep my friends coming back for more.

Thank you,

KT

[ Edited by: kreaky tiki on 2003-09-23 23:19 ]

After putting down many a "Beach Bum's Own" I decided to give another drink a try. The "Lei Lani Volcano", that utilizes guava nectar, coconut rum, pineapple juice, rock candy syrup, and lime juice (page 47 Intoxica. It is a light drink, with only 2 1/2 ounces of rum, so I made a double to get started! Dynomite! a beautiful drink that owuld probably be next to impossible to find in a bar.

Cheers,

KT

S

We like our drinks on the sweeter side here in Shangri-La, so we love The two "Blue" drinks in the Log.

I am a fan of Krakatoa. So many flavors in that one.

General rule of thumb for making drinks is make triples. Most call for 1/2 ounce, which is easier when tripled to pour a pony. It usually simplifies all ingredients so that you can use your jigger/pony for the whole thing.

B

I can't get enough of the Castaway from the Grog Log(p. 25). It's quite simple, and the ingredients can be found in almost any household, which makes for an easy request at a friend's house. And they'll be glad you introduced them to this refreshing libation. Doubling the recipe is a must for this one, which fills my old-fashioned Trader Vic's glasses just right. I always keep a six pack of 6 oz. cans of pineapple juice on hand in case I'm not ready to bust open a large bottle of pj. These are perfect for a double recipe.

Enjoy

[ Edited by: bamzeno on 2003-09-20 11:35 ]

Hey Bamzeno
I just made one of these Castaways...I had to use some meyers dark rum instead of the gold...anyway, pouring it into a glass it came out with a thick foamy head? is that the way they supposed to look? it tastes ok.

I have to admit that the Mai Tai continues to stand as my favorite. The Mai Tai at Trader Vic's in Atlanta is, of course My Very Favorite, but the Mai Tai at Mai Haus is pretty damn good too.

B

Hey Tiki Rider Five-O,
It does tend to foam a bit. I guess it's from all the shakin' action.

Tonight I broke the seal on my new bottle of Marischino liquor and made a "Demerara Dry Float" the recipe that I followed is in "Intoxica" page 31. What a beautifully balanced drink, my hat goes of to the Beachcomber. I would strongly recommend making this drink as a double, beacause you will be back for more in a matter of minutes. As ticked off as my wife can get when I take too long playing bartender, she too thought that the Demerara Dry Float is a definite keeper.

Cheers,

KT

Hey Traitor Vic!!

I agree with you on the Mai Tais at TV's in Atlanta. I haven't been able to replicate that flavor at home, even with the TV mix. What the hell?? Yeah I've heard of this 'Mai Haus' bar you speak of. Isn't that a rival chain of Trader Vic's with locations all over the US?? :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-09-23 23:51 ]

On 2003-09-23 23:51, donhonyc wrote:
Hey Traitor Vic!!

I agree with you on the Mai Tais at TV's in Atlanta. I haven't been able to replicate that flavor at home, even with the TV mix. What the hell??

Last time I was at TV's in Atlanta, I spoke to the bartender about the TV Mai Tai, and he told me they import a special rum not generally available in the US specifically for the Mai Tai -- Rhum Negrita

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=00000058916&area=spirits&category=30050000&sid=03&catname=Rum

The Grog Log describes it as a "harsh, candy like substance" that should be avoided.

I'm curious, though.

My favorite Mai Tai is the Mai Kai's.

Wow! I just woke up after taking a 4 hour nap. Rum Barrels! I finally picked up some Alize Passion fruit liqueur, started browzing in the "Grog Log" and stopped on page 71 where there is the recipe for the "Ports O' Call" Rum Barrel. The "Ports O' Call" restaurant was located in Tuscon Arizona in the 1960's.

The Alize is better than I thought, it has a great passion fruit taste. When combined with equal parts lime juice, orange juice, pinapple juice, sugar syrup, Jamaican dark rum, and 151, you've got a drink that anyone would like. I did not have the bcardi 151 that was called for, so I used my Lemon Hart 151. I try to follow the recipes, but what the hell!

Time to go back to sleep.....

Cheers,

KT

I decided to post one of my own creations as my favorite.

Lighthouse (in the middle-of-the-ocean)
3 oz. rum
lemonade
pinch of tropical punch
MUST BE SUNNY DELIGHT brands!!!!
Serve in tall glass
Garnish with plastic sword with red & green cherries.

Don't scoff at the ingredients, it's good. :wink:

K
Klas posted on Sun, Nov 16, 2003 1:38 PM

One of my recent favourites is the "Beachcomber's Punch" (Grog Log) which includes the Angostura/Pernod combination that was Don The Beachcomber's "secret ingredient" for drinks with dark rum as the base flavour.

I finally made a Puka Punch found on pg 73/74 in Beachbum Berry's "Intoxica". Beautiful drink, I've been wanting to make it for while but put it off because i tcalled for honey. I thought that honey would be a hassel to work with but it was not, and it added a very nice complexity. I especially like the combination of honey, falernum, and bitters. I can hardley wait to blend a few for my friends!

Cheers,

KT

My current fave is Pieces of Eight.
Thats this week, It'll change next week.
TG

I've been making the 151 Swizzle a lot. I follow the Grog Log recipe with the addition of a teaspoons of passion fruit syrup and a tablespoon of grapefruit juice. That makes it taste a lot like the one they serve at the Mai Kai. The real trick to that drink is packing some shaved ice in a pilsener (or better yet a metal cup!) and freezing it. Then serve with a cinnamon stick. Soooo smooth.

The Navy Grog is also a favorite of mine of late. Really good if you make the "ice cone" to serve it with, and get lots of zest in the lime juice.

T

On 2004-04-11 23:52, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I finally made a Puka Punch found on pg 73/74 in Beachbum Berry's "Intoxica". Beautiful drink, I've been wanting to make it for while but put it off because i tcalled for honey. I thought that honey would be a hassel to work with but it was not, and it added a very nice complexity. I especially like the combination of honey, falernum, and bitters. I can hardley wait to blend a few for my friends!

Cheers,

KT

What rum do you use for the dark West Indies rum that Puka Punch calls for?
After some research, I believe they mean Havana Club. Anybody have an opinion?

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2006-01-17 09:37 ]

H

I just love Golden Wave from Intoxica.

chief lapu lapu
adams tree house
polynesian paralysis

M

Sidewinder's Fang...

Originally from San Mateo's Lanai, as prepared by mixologist non-pareil, Al Martin Ben Novato. It's in the Grog Log. The Fang, baby...ask for it by name!

I'm snakebit....
midnite

EDIT: Wrong wrong wrong. Sidewinder's Fangs are good, dang good. However, they pale in comparison to my newest fave: Puka Punch. From Tiki Ti, published in Jeff Berry's "Intoxica!", and again as prepared by Martin, late of Trader Vic's. Comic Book (Tiki Bar) Guy was incorrect, best drink ever: Puka Punch*...

midnite

*until further notice.

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki 2006-01-17 12:13 ]

T

Puka Punch. From Tiki Ti, published in Jeff Berry's "Intoxica!", and again as prepared by Martin, late of Trader Vic's. Comic Book (Tiki Bar) Guy was incorrect, best drink ever: Puka Punch*...

What rum do you use for the dark West Indies rum that the recipe calls for? I believe Havana Club is what they mean. Anybody have an opinion?

IZ

In our household, Karol Kayahhs and I have been enjoying (since Thanksgiving) the Royal Hawaiian. It uses gin instead of rum, which is a nice change up. And is simple: lemon, orgeat, pineapple, and gin. I think it's in the Grog Log. Just a wonderful cocktail.

I, zombie

Ive been trying to come up with my own drink, and I might have stumbled onto something....

Haven't got a name for it yet, so i've been calling it "Old Fashioned Rum Old Fashion" It uses the same principles of the Old Fashioned, but i muddle an Orange wedge and cherry in there like Old Fashions used to be made;

Muddle 1 Orange Slice, 1 Marachino Cherry, 1 dash Angostura Bitters, 1 Bar spoon of the Marachino Cherry sirop, 1 small bar spoon Brown Cane Sugar.

Then stir in 2 1/2 ounces Myers Rum/Captain Morgan, topping with cubed ice as you go.

Takes a while, but I think this is a winner. Started serving it to customers here in London, at South London Pacific, and getting a very good response

Let me know what you guys think

Senor P

Mmmm...
I'd have to say its a tie for for me between the Sidewinder's Fang and the Rum Barrel from the Grog Log.
The Rum Barrel is nice because it calls for equal parts of all ingredients... makes it easy to make after you've had a few.
Aloha,
:tiki:

I'd have to say that the Sidewinder's Fang is far and away my favorite drink right now. Surprised I made it back to my hotel at TV SF a few months ago after that doozy...

H

This February I will drink Navy Grogs till I drop!

G

On 2006-01-15 20:22, midnite_tiki wrote:
Sidewinder's Fangs are good, dang good. However, they pale in comparison to my newest fave: Puka Punch.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Puka Punch is way up there in my book. Of course, so are the Navy Grog and Zombie. Do I have to pick ONE favorite?!?

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 11:31 AM

I have been making a lot of Shark's Tooth lately, strong and tasty!

From time to time I enjoy the Wiki Wacky Woo following the Mr. Boston's recipe. It's pretty good, but it's kind of a "long island iced tea" approach to tiki drinks and perhaps best served to beginners.

Here's a link to a couple of recipes - the BarNoneDrinks recipe is closest to my recollection of the Mr. Boston: http://daviswiki.org/WikiWackyWoo

Ever since I had two at the Mai Kai, I've been diggin' this drink called the Pina Passion... it's not in any of Beachbum Berry's books so here's the recipe...

1 ounce lime juice
3/4 ounce passion fruit nectar
1/2 ounce peach brandy
3/4 ounce Demerara rum (86 proof)*
3/4 ounce gold rum
1 pineapple slice, canned
3/4 ounce honey

Blend w/a cup of crushed ice, pour and drink!

...the drink is supposed to be served in a real pineapple but I've been substituting Orchids of Hawaii pineapple mugs w/lids.

T

On 2003-08-24 21:04, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I thought that this would be a fun topic, because I believe that most of us "Tiki Boozers" keep trying to find the ultimate drink and are continualy experimenting

My newest favorite drink is the Hawaiian Eye. The recipe can be found on page 39 of Beachbum Berry's "Intoxica" book. It is very simple, if you have some good falernum, Gold Rum, White Rum , Fresh Lime and Sugar Syrup. I can hardley wait to try it on my friends. What's your newest favorite drink?

Cheers,

KT

Hey Kreaky - Just got my first bottle of fallernum (from Fee Bros.) and made BB's page 39 recipe - pretty good! A little tart maybe - but definitely drinkable. I'm going to adjust the alchohol content (and type possibly), and see if I can tweak it more to my liking. I'll post what works!

Don't get me wrong - it's a very good drink - I just am citric-intolerant, if that's a condition.?

P

i gotta say...a good old fashion Pina Coloda, seriously...you can't go wrong with those things. I even found Pina Coloda gum today! (SO GOOD!)

T

On 2006-01-18 13:39, TikiSan wrote:

Puka Punch. From Tiki Ti, published in Jeff Berry's "Intoxica!", and again as prepared by Martin, late of Trader Vic's. Comic Book (Tiki Bar) Guy was incorrect, best drink ever: Puka Punch*...

What rum do you use for the dark West Indies rum that the recipe calls for? I believe Havana Club is what they mean. Anybody have an opinion?

I emailed Jeff Berry and this is what he said:

"I use Cruzan amber rum. The red label should say "Cruzan Estate Dark"; it sells in the $10 range. Good stuff, and cheap too!

Cheers, Bum"

F
foamy posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:48 AM

Put together a "Vesper" last night, recipe from "Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails". I'm a big Martini and James Bond fan and this looked to be right up my alley.

3 oz. gin (I used Boodles)
1 oz. vodka (used Three Olives brand, didn't have any Russian at the time)
half oz. white Lillet
squeezed lemon twist
prepared like a Martini

Not bad. Not bad at all. I'll be having more.

A great drink for introducing someone to a Martini-like cocktail. Vodka takes the edge right out of the gin, Lillet makes it a tad fruity (especially towards the end). Very soft, mellow cocktail. The book provides a great description and it's accurate. Incidentally, that's a really good, entertaining book with some great recipes. By Ted Haigh. If you see it, buy it.

hehehehehe....

I would have to say a creation by Chip of Chip and Andy dubbed the "Pink Slip Mai Tai." I think he used the classic Mai Tai recipe but substituted the rum for El Dorado Demarara 15 year and St James Ambre. Crisp and clean taste. An exciting aftertaste.

A fabulous drink.. but not to be had anywhere near going in to work. :lol:

Edited to correct an ingredient.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-09-15 19:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 67 replies