Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 5:56 AM

Cool. Will try to pick that one up.

What other projects have you been up to BK?

F

BK, are you secretly a Hannah Montana fan? Please say it ain't so.

Congrats - you definately deserve it!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 7:41 AM

On 2008-03-04 21:50, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s.

They went with GROG for the cover...

And the centerfold!! BK isn't the only one in the magazine showing off his wood!

(Congrats BK)

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-03-05 07:43 ]

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 2:29 PM

Congratulations Kahuna...You should have had this honor bestowed issues ago.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 3:40 PM

On 2008-03-05 14:29, Babalu wrote:
Congratulations Kahuna...You should have had this honor bestowed issues ago.

But then what would we have to look forward to. Still some jewels of the tiki community we are holding out for. :D

:D Congrats MacDaddyBK! :D

Alright, time to reel you back down to earth. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, letting the air out.

Thanks, to every homie around here. Harro, just trying to get the commish list cleared completely. I want to go back to a "Carve it, keep it, sell it" method. It's just more fun. The reason they went with Ben for the centerfold is because the extra two pages of fold-down paper to get "all of me" in there would have thrown the production costs up too high. So it worked out. :) Ben, I need to come tear up California with you sometime. Frost-that's right. And I've been "saving myself" for a "special man" (you) when I come of age and my singing career is over in a few short, brutal years. Or marry a redneck backup dancer, shave my head, get on some street meds, and talk with a british accent. (But if my dear nieces heard me say that I'd have to buy them both ice cream to stop the wailing!!!) Vick, you da man! Me not da man, you da man. In seriousness, it is a great honor. I was thrilled. SO much talent out there now. Getting tapped for it (for a two-bit guy like me) was like a lucky squares win!

Nay seriously brethren, can't believe it took this long.

In my next life I am coming back as one of Basement Kahuna's chisels! That way I can know what it is like to be able to carve at that level!

In the meantime I am puttin myself up for adoption if you are interested BK.

Ya need anyone to sweep up the shop?

=chuckle=

I have been lurking around the forum for a while and love your style big guy!

=salute=

Mustang Island Tiki

Mustang, I'll adopt you as a tropical drink test subject! Tnaks, man, and stop by anytime you're in the ATL or Athens.

On 2008-03-08 18:24, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Mustang, I'll adopt you as a tropical drink test subject! Tnaks, man, and stop by anytime you're in the ATL or Athens.

Ye have a deal!

=grin=

Mustang Island Tiki

H

On 2008-03-08 18:39, Mustang Island Tiki wrote:

On 2008-03-08 18:24, Basement Kahuna wrote:

Ye have a deal!

=grin=

Mustang Island Tiki

Sounds like a decent gig to me, alot better than being a crash test dummy, although somehow along the same lines.
Seriously, though--congrats on the impending press coverage. I think the majority of the ohana agree you're worthy of it. Good to see a Jawja boy representin' GOOD tiki!

Aloha BK!!! A Big congrats to you on the tiki mag story. It couldnt have happened to a nicer Dude!!!Aloha and post more we miss the killer carvings you create,Aloha, Mooney

Thanks again to everyone...looking forward to the TM feature... Here is a Maori canoe sternpost carved in bone for good friend and client Traveling Jones... Also finishing up a prow in bone to match for him.

Tip Top Tiny Detail!

Classic BK with all the good mana!

Looking forward to mixing up a Mai Tai and reading the Tiki Mag piece on you... congrats fellow chipper!

You rock basement. Going to Hukilau this year? I'm going to hide in the Mai Kai and spend the night.

Mahalo! I'm Hukilau bound, brahs....Already worked out bail with the Lauderdale police so we're good.

On 2008-03-19 23:19, Basement Kahuna wrote:
a Maori canoe sternpost carved bone in for good friend and client Traveling Jones...

:D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D :blush: :D

B

More Nice Stuff BK, pretty soon you'll be posting like in the days of old and everyone will be HappyHappyHappy. We Miss them old days..Sniff.. :(

WOW! I just looked through your whole thread. Very nice stuff!!

Tom

Here is the completed bone Maori war canoe prow, and together with it's mate, the sternpost.

right-on bk! those are beautiful!

BK,
why not try doing some work with a little detail, huh?

thats bleepin beautiful!

J

Stunning work, the two pieces together are exceptional. Always a treat to see your work.

B

Sweet stuff BK, What else you have laying around? I Know you're hiding stuff over there, fork it over?? :lol:

S

YES! Sweetness the stern-post. NICE!

T

Ok, here are my far too late congrats to your tikimag score. CanĀ“t await to get my example.
And what else can i say, two new high quality pieces. Any copies planned of them?

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I admire all of you braddahs' prolificity! Yo, Ben! I have little else that I don't picture here but newly ordered productions of previous designs I have already photographed, which I figure would be a bore/yawner. Anymore I don't like to show more than one of the same or similar designs too often if I can help it, and only when completed (just trying to keep my thread size reasonable so the "meat and potatoes"- I.E. completed stuff stays more visible to the whole of TC and visitors). Between here, Myspace, and the BK site it's my main exposure, and you know people's attention span, so casual visitors need to see a lot of what I do at a glance on one or two pages. A lot of it has to do with time as well, of which I don't ever seem to have enough, so I post what and when I can. Lots of good work coming out of the rainforest here!

P.S. Tok-no molds of those two...thought about getting one of each just to have around but those are custom pieces that were pretty costly and specifically commissioned so probably no mass casts. I do have a tiny handful of the South Sea Arts resins left (like, 15?), three of which are on their way to you.

Hey..here's one piece never yet seen here...me and my friend Rachel at a party the other week with one of my locally famous "will work for" signs...

BK,

Amy needs those poles asap.

It's starting to get hot in the desert,

and I don't need no heat stroke again...

MAhalo,

BB

Can do!

Sweet!

Hey there, Dave! Those last 2 bone pieces are incredible.. as are all your goods. The detail is sick. Hope all is good wit U!

I hate to have to sell this (I mean, my friend Andy GAVE it to me so long ago, after all) but since "Lemon Marilyn" just brought 28 mil I guess I should..

J
JTD posted on Sat, Mar 29, 2008 7:20 AM

On 2008-03-04 16:30, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Only a short time now until the new issue of Tiki Magazine comes out, for which I, Basement Kahuna, am your humble featured carver!

'Bout damn time! Congrats, BK.

Nice work on those BK. and Congrats on the Mag spread.

Fred, you da man. Tom, there's a Teivakotaga on the bench with your name on it, friend. Andy, where you been, brah? Miss you. Thanks everyone, and from what they're telling me the article should be a doozy. Many great mysteries explained :)

Bump!!! to many Killer carvings for all to see, Mooney

Thanks, Mooney..I need to update that all jewelry thread, too. Here is a new piece, a Maori Marakihau rising from the waves. Really dignified looking Marakihau. Done for keeping my chops' sake...I'm pleased with it. This one will be for sale on Marketplace.

Classic BK... with all the bells and whistles.

Big pimpin.

NICE!

Aloha BK!!!
Another Killer BK Carving!!! Glad to see It my friend,Aloha, Mooney

B

Glad to see you're keeping your "Chops" up and with Excellent result too. Nice finish and super inlays that you make look so easy to do. :lol:

S

Wow that is a beautiful piece. Love the theme.

Thanks, all. I obviously keep good company:)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies