Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

Cook was about ready after a few months of drying so his permanent paint scheme went on today..looks pretty good...dog shown for size comparison :)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2010-03-04 16:31 ]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2010-03-04 16:31 ]

Here's a couple of my New Guinea Gope reproductions, and the start of a Marquesan rail post.... [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d702b3127cce9d16f891609c00000016108AbuG7Jq1YtM[img]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:12 ]

Here is the finished Maori meeting house image. I thought it turned out nice...what do you all think? It looks like a very old piece which was my goal. Each time I tackle a Maori piece I become more and more in awe of the craftsmanship in their carvings and the power of their imagery...it blows me away. I only hope I do them any justice at all. I'm going to put a pic on a regular thread so someone besides us carving nerds can see.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:03 ]

Here's three clubs I put on carving post...I think only us carvers look at the post anymore...I know that post has gotten very long, but things are no good till somebody see them, right? :) A Massim spatulate club, ala Paupua New Guinea..These were used as lime spatulas and likely as weapons...the Maori over in New Zealand also had many similar small clubs called Patu, used as short weapons or status objects), a sawfish-bladed Cula Cula ala Fiji...most of these were all one piece of wood with a wood blade but God carved me this beautiful snout. :) I popped in a photo of my handsome mug holding it for actual size.. (I really dig this one; its for me bar!), and a Kini, a weapon of a group from Fiji with some nasty edges. Hope you like!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:24 ]

Here's my substitute greeter....My first Moai...Kind of a simple style for me; not my favorite but cool nonetheless..looks like a Skipper Kent's job...

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:27 ]

(Lips moving very quickly) "Be swift and wary, young Octane, for my chisel strike fast and true, like Chao-Lin dragon and phoenix" Here's the latest from the Isle Of Kahuna, a 7 foot, 6-inch, half-round Marquesan pole, modeled after the ones you see so many of in the Mai Kai. I truly love the Marquesan/Tahitian/Bora-Bora style, at least as much as the Maori stuff. This one is painted java brown, in keeping with most of these poles you see in the classic tiki temples, but accented in "nutmeg" and black.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:33 ]

Here's a Marquesan/Tahitian rail post prototype

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:36 ]

Here is my first carving headed for the Mai Kai Gift Shop (and specially tagged as such!), an aged, accurate copy of a 100-year-old Darimo Ebiha New Guinea Paupuan Gulf Gope Board. Each of the designs that I carve for consignment at the Mai Kai will be available no where else; I wanted to give them an exclusive on certain things...I consider it a great priviledge to sell there, and wanted to give them something special, so if you wish to buy seconds of any of the forthcoming designs you'll have to put in a request at the Mai Kai.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:40 ]

If I don't win, Cookollosu The Great jumps in! (I had to borrow the Aka I carved for Geck to have something to fight with!)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:45 ]

Here's a Samoan short club that I finished tonight. The Samoans were a very peculiar race of people...Outside of the period during which they were occupied by the Tongans (1200 to 1600 AD, when they were finally expelled), they had absolutely no "figural" carving traditions whatsoever....they were strictly, unabashedly warriors and storytellers. Hence the only artifactual legacy that remains of the original, indigenous Samoan people are a small surviving number of their weapons...very simple, but very effective and dignified.

Here is the latest from me...it's a double Marquesan plaque, modeled loosely after the ones Gecko photographed in the Waikiki Intl. Marketplace on the side of the old Trader Vic's. It's 4 feet tall. This is my first real experiment with artificial weathering and distressing, and it has sort of a soft-glow Witco effect. Available at Hukilau, slightly cheaper than a Bosko 4-footer (140.00), and lot's more bang for your buck!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 20:55 ]

Here's a Hukilau exclusive London Trader Vic's style Marquesan pole I just finished....added a little pinch of Cali cartoon into the soup for fun. It is 5 1/2 feet high (Bill the Brittany Spaniel shown for size comparison...he had just licked the camera lens, hence the spots!). How you like?

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:50 ]

Here's four views of some new clubs I have just finished...one is a Cook Islands Akatara, or serrated club. This is a formidable weapon, five feet eight inches long with sharp serrations. It is carved in solid old growth walnut. There is a similar example (another style and without the artificial aging) in the book NIGHT OF THE TIKI. The other is a Fijian Sali club. It was a deadly fulcrum-type weapon made to snap necks and with a blunt punch on the reverse side for the backswing. This one is carved in solid cherry. All of the checkering front and back on this club is parted line by line by hand. This type of club is one of the most commonly seen on the walls of the old places..there were several in Steven Crane's Luau that can be seen in old photos.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 21:53 ]

A weapon should be worthy of the warrior, right? This is an Akatara (Cook Islands) I just finished for Gecko. It is six feet three inches long, carved in old growth black walnut and is a combination of three of this type of weapon that I have pictures of. It requires applying 44 individual serrated edges, 22 on each side...(boy, when those are done decorating the club is a pleasure!). The ancient design of these clubs is astonishingly effective, considering they are made of wood. Prior to finishing this one I took a single hard swipe at a 240-lb. corobond box, about the thickness of the skin on your knee, and this thing ripped a ghastly hole straight across it with ease (I have a picture I'll put on later). That said, this was done in the hands of a big, clumsy ass like me. Written history has it that indigenous war-wagers anywhere in the South Pacific were Samurai-like in their skill and discipline with their weapons. I could only imagine what kind of hell 3-or-4 hundred of these could unleash on a British or Dutch crew of 50 or 60 armed with muskets. You'd get the first shot off on the first wave of warriors and the second wave would be on you like a swarm of bees. Unlike the western invaders, they had no fear of death. You'd be (1) dead or (2) cut from stem to stern before you could even get your patch box open to load the second shot. Just ask James Cook! The small club pictured in the last shot is a simple Samoan type similar to ones that hang in groups in the Mai Kai and the now defunct hollywood Don The Beachcomber's.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 22:01 ]

Well, folks...here's the Maori house panel done but minus the abalone eyes (coming from a friend that collects antique buttons). It took a week of steady carving in my spare time. The wood stained up beautifully...it's around 32 x 24". Whaddaya think?

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 22:04 ]

M

Um...BK, I gotta tell you: You are almost TOO good at this. I'm glad to hear that you're finding some places to carry your things for sale (the hallowed Mai Kai and Brad's soon-to-be-hallowed place) because you deserve a wider audience than us lot.

Just fantastic work.

Cool to see all your stuff together. You can really see how you've progressed as a carver and as a polynesian artist. Maybe progressed isn't the right word if you were already really good to begin with. So when are you gonna bust out a custom carved fork and spoon?

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-09-25 16:31 ]

Uhhh....no. :)

MB

Now this is the "Velvet Underground."
Mahalo.

"It's my liiife-heh, heh-and it's my wiiiife"

damn Punk!!! Get a life!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

This forum has got to have a Ben thread. Take some pictures, matey.....Yo Ho Ho and a bottle o'rum!

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2003 3:10 PM

BK be carvin his a$$ off. I like how you and Monkeyman put all your pics undda wun post. dats a lot a work ya?

keep'em commin, no time fo stop

Yo BK-

I got's many pictures. What I don't have is a digital cam. Can I use Shutterfly with my paper prints and scanner?? I'm lost man! Old school!! Help?? Anyone, class? Anyone??

p.s. remember, hi-tech language is way over my head, so be gentle on the wording.

Yo Ben, what up ? I got your email today. One letter wonder........I don't have your new #. send it to me. BK sorry about the jack move.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-09-27 22:17 ]

Chiki- it's all Bongs fault! He spilt his glue on my keyboard and it jacked it all up! That's why he wants to quit sniffin! Where's BK anyway?? He's on the other side of the albumn! (flogging a dead horse?? BK?? remember that one??)

Yup...Hey, U.K. Subs are playing in Augusta, Ga. on Haloween night! That should be a damned Oi boy hoot. You can simply scan your pictures, Ben, and save them to your "My Pictures" function on Windows. Then register with shutterfly and it will guide you through. It transfers directly from your file. Then you can post them here. Just let me know if you have any trouble.

I will practice this week. Please hang with me if I jack it up.

I got your back, man.

BK,
That is some very beautiful versatile work.
Keep it up!

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-29 09:47 ]

Also...here's the first of the Samoan Knife reproductions for the Mai Kai shop. The task given me was to do a good looking knife completely out of wood; no metal. I selected the style in the middle of the first photo (taken by manager Kern Mattei of actual Samoan knives in the Samoa roon at the Mai Kai). I made the blade out of black walnut sliced to the right thinness by a Japanese saw (shown). It is a very, very hard wood. getting that thing cut and working around that delicate hook with a scroll is tricky. The completed blade is fitted into a fruitwood handle, then shimmed and pegged. The bindings are Lauhala strap, and the grip cords are hand braided jute fiber. Then I age and apply simulated hand wear. My knife is the one shown in the last two photos....I think it turned out fairly good, though strictly a wallhanger!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 22:17 ]

TL

B.K., your stuff is Freakin' AWESOME!!!

GOD I wish you lived closer to Vegas so I could carry your stuff in MY shop! Shipping kills any and all profit margin, so I'll just have to keep drooling over the pics and wish away....

Don't EVER stop carvin' and postin'!!!

Thanks, Lee. I'm not stopping anytime soon barring any acts of nature. Gotta keep the faith, man.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 1:32 AM

got your package brah....funnnny! thanks for da book too! um ya ya your stuff is alright....

Good job my friend.

I haven't had time to look at all of everyones stuff lately and since I finshed early today I figure I could tell all da creative peopo on creating tiki to keep em coming that way I got something new to look at all the time.

have I reached 1000 post yet?...all da typing I did feels like it!

R
Rain posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2003 12:33 PM

f'ing sweet. i really regret not getting to see your stuff (and gecko's) in person at hukilau this year. oh well, there's always next time!

Man...nobody got to see much of Gecko's stuff...it was all sold out before it made it down here to the sunny south!! I did get a cool Gecko Hawaiian story panel...visible in his thread.

BK, I just saw this and figured that that you may be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3249506648&category=13765

Cheers,

KT

R

Man I am stunned and humbled, your work is amazing! NOW I understand why you are so serious about Tiki! :wink: Do you seel any of your work on ebay, or is it just at the Hukilau and Mai Kai?.....damn I hope that PNG style Tiki lives up to your standards. :D

Also that Samoan knife rocks BK! Where can you find one like the ones hanging on the matting? I did a web search and only found all metal ones for pro knife dancers.

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-08 01:29 ]

TM

BK,
I'm impressed, thanks for sharing. Your careful attention to craftsmanship and detail deserves much praise. And yet they are not just museum-quality Oceanic art reproductions. While still staying true to the original forms, your work reveals glimpses into your own personal interpretation of Tiki. Creativity is a good thing, let it flow.

Rattiki-thanks...didn't mean to get so haughty on that long-winded Minn. post. I sell by appointment here at my home, at Hukilau, and at the Mai Kai. I have some Samoan knife reproductions there right now. The real deal can be found through searching "fire knife" or "Samoan Knife" sometimes, but not often. Those I do are copied from real examples hanging in the Mai Kai, true to the place that sells them. I'm sure that PNG tiki will be great...I'm just passing it on to Brad at cost for the Hale Tiki backbar next year. Mon-the weapons are exact dupes of old styles, but on the tikis you'll see some degree of artistic license. I always try to be mindful of tradition as well....I respect the mana of the true, old Polynesian carvings and the amazing art of the South Pacific; I barely do it justice. I look at the effort a Maori with stone tools put into a hair comb, and it makes the efort I put into a house panel seem miniscule.

TM

BK,
Yeah, I've often times wondered how slow and tedious the carving process would be without power tools, or even steel. Imagine trying to burnish a tiki without a propane torch? Exact dupes? Did they have black walnut trees in the Pacific?

S

My daughter and I watched Mortal Kombat last night and I noticed that in the final battle when he called up the dead warriors to fight, one of them was Polynesian and was using your Samoan knife! That hook is what keyed me into it.

Two of my standards; the large, sharp-serrated Akatara (Cook Islands)I just finished and is for me own self (it's a difficult carve)...The Sali, or Strike Of The Snake (Fiji) is an example I did a while back and never photographed. I like this Akatara...The eye of Tongaroa (on the ricasso)is open on one side and closed on the other. Has a lot of palm tool work, too, I've had some shaky hands lately but they lent nicely to it's primitivity. A lot of the cryptic Cook Islands line carving on the butt-end, too, along with the phallus. The phlanges on the butt end served as a counterweight...this is a heavy weapon, over six feet long. The Sali is sort of an old standby on the walls of tiki bars..This one is a little more refined than my "decorator" versions, with a lot more decoration.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 22:24 ]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 22:26 ]

Here is yours truly (I'm the guy in the middle) with a new 7 foot-6-inch pole I just finished in the theme of my Hale Tiki railposts, Marquesan cartoony style, along with the second, more refined railpost done after the prototype I showed earlier. Hey, notice that wierd eye-shaped light "orb" near the bottom of the photo? That's the second time one of these has showed itself near a tiki I just carved (I'm dead serious)...The camera lens was CLEAN AS A WHISTLE. When photographing the Imperial Luau tikis a while back the same orb showed up near the left eye of the top face on -each- tiki from very different angles in a couple of shots.. Wierd...the ghosts of Donn Beach and Trader Vic coming to impose their great mana on the tikis here? Who knows....

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-19 22:30 ]

Hey BK, is it just me or are you Marquesan's getting BETTER? Wow, I love that double-painted one on the left! How tall is that?

I'll be placing an order come February when I get my tax return!!

Amazingly precise BK... you were stressing about these carvings!?!? No need to worry there BK... these are wayyyy cherry! One part of me wants to drop my chisels and give up... but 99% of me wants to head to the basement and start carving right now... even if I piss off my downstairs neighbors... you're an inspiration!

Hope I get to see these in person some day...

On 2003-12-14 22:51, PolynesianPop wrote:
Hey BK, is it just me or are you Marquesan's getting BETTER?

It's just you, Pop. These totally blow...wotta hack. Sad, really... :D

Jadie...my biggest advocate. Who could ask for more? :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies