Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

Thanks, Octane...and you got more chops than I ever had...

You know, BK, I always find myself returning to this thread for inspiration, so I think I will bump it up for everyone to enjoy again. Always amazing work, even after coming back to it over and over. If you have time, we'd love to see some of your new stuff too.

i too have been eagerly awaiting some new pics of some new b.k. works.....would love to see what you'll have at hukilau!!!

Soon my friends...and thanks so much for the props. You guys are the tops.

T

Howzit BK? Good to see you peeking in. Hope all is well with you. Your PuPu Boat went to a good home and will be used well. Look forward to seeing you at the Hukilau.

(Up)For a friend's ease of viewing..

I'm not sure who disapointed me more, you or Flounder...keep opening these dang threads with no new Tiki, get carving and let's see it!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:29 ]

Sorry need to bump this one up again for a friend.

Come on BK... you're holding back on us... what's that you got brewing in the carving shack?

Hope to see some of your outstanding work again soon!

BK, being coy... :wink: c'mon man, give us some scoop about what's new!

B

Yeah BK, what gives?? It's nice to see a little of you now and then but really We WANT MORE.
Whats new with you? Have you started on that Log yet?

BK-

Just had my first look at your stuff- you are really good! I have a Tongan friend over here that is a professional carver and I would say your stuff is on par with his! I especially like your war clubs. If you ever want to part with any of them, I would be interested in discussing with you. PM me...

Aloha

Damn...yer good.

Still looks like one of my Marquesans...Not bad after two years of away time... Before and after shots:

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-09-22 17:46 ]

That is so sweet!!! Thanks for all of the progress shots too!!! Can I have it?
Later,
Spermy

M
Moki posted on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 10:03 PM

YEAH!!! You're back!!! We missed you!!
It's beautiful. More please :wink:
Aloha!!

K

nice work...

8T

Ya still got it man!!

There have been a lot of new members join since your self imposed leave of absence. The're in for a treat. Keep the pics coming and show everyone that your chisels never got rusty. BY THE WAY, since you are no longer working in your Basement but outside, Shouldn't we think about calling you "Backyard Kahuna" ???

Your friend 8FT

BK -- I don't know how I overlooked this thread for so long....you're incredibly talented. I've enjoyed your pieces at Pablus' Lagoon Lounge and hope to see more of your work at Hukilau. Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

BK posts of carvings back on TC - a small piece of the world's equilibrium is restored :) mahalo, BK, keep 'em coming

B

BK, your latest piece shows that you have picked up right where you left off ! No rust, no loss of ability and back to doing things you Ought to be doing, like Carving and posting. Carving gets A+ and Posting Gets A+.
We are still SO Glad to have you back.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Sep 22, 2005 5:18 AM

BK, I really admire your work. Between you and Benzart, I don't know. Hopefully, one of these days...

Beautiful carving BK. Very clean and precise like all your others. The mah kai is very lucky to recieve such a beautiful addition to their collection.

Lookin' forward to the next...

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-09-22 18:08 ]

Sneaky peeky of nearly finished tiki...The inscription reads "show me the way to tomorrow" in Tahitian..lotsa spiritual energy around this one...the tiki mana orbs are back...

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 22, 2005 5:42 PM

great work..I gotto get me one of those...

love your style man! you´re a true artist!

Thanks, guys...there is so much good work on this site now I'm overwhelmed.

YES! That is so sweet. Just perfect, the way I like to see 'em. The stain is so even, and is the perfect color choice. What kind of wood is it, and what stain?

Actually it's white pine with an English chestnut stain. A good trick is to use floral toner (Design Master, available at Michael's Crafts) to even the look of the tiki when the stain dries. It is a transluscent, fast trying tint made for coloring dried flowers. Ever wonder what on earth will get stain out of your skin? Avon Skin So Soft does the trick like a champ, leaves a nice scent like your mom's medicine cabinet, and repels mosquitos, too!

Hot Damn BK! You haven't missed a step!

Bringing this guy to Huki with you or will we have to wait for the Mai Kai to see him? Can't wait to see a live BK Tiki before me.

BK-
Do you use the toner then a sealent?
Great work you do, really nice!
Wes

Ahhh... fantastic to see him all stained up and ready to go. Welcome back to the saddle, my friend.

Great to see such truly tremendous carvin' comin' out again, BK! Really remarkable!

You know BK, one hesitates to make judgements like this, but I find you one of my fav TC posters.

I love your woodwork as well as your sharp tiki eye.

B

EXCELLENT First carving back sir! Glad to see you haven't lost the touch. Nice tip with the Floral Toner btw, I have never heard of it before. I'll have to get some.

very inspirational art, BK. keep 'em coming!

M

It's good to see you back and adding to your thread.

Your way of sharing is something that we all should be as free to do since we all get better by it.

Big MAHALO to you for that.

The OFFICIAL PHOTOS.. I don't know Karate...but I know Karazee...

K

seriously, all henessey aside, your carvings are among the cleanest (not to mention favorite) traditional pieces i have seen since i started peekin' at t.c. good to see you back at it, man.

peace,
kahaka

P

I have BK's very first Tiki going up for bids.
The bidding starts at...

...just kidding... ain't no way... unless BK wants him back.

And even then he'll have to replace him with something equally stunning.

BK's first carving? Hmmmm... you got some pics Pablus? This we gotta see.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 7:31 AM

Cool carving kahuna. Nice style, and I love the good spiritual vibes hes givin off

Here we have a typical spatulate club of the Solomon Islands in progress...this one is heavily decorated, with tons of checkering, chip carving, and simulated coral texture on the handle grip..it measures about 22 inches long. Carving it in rich, very hard, aromatic black walnut. The originals were carved from tropical oak or ironwood, and this stains quite dark in a similar manner. This one will be my feature in the Hukilau auction this year. It's a very nice club, one of my favorite forms, and as always not a toy...it is very sharp and quite heavy.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-09-30 18:13 ]

B

Lookin Good Mr BK.. Can't wait for another week...

K
Kono posted on Fri, Sep 30, 2005 6:58 PM

Damn BK, you haven't lost a step! It makes me glad to see you back at it.

Sick BK... just sick...

You were born at the wrong time... you'd be a village leader back in the days!

Insane with the detail, mucho impressive. All those straight lines look so perfect, it's amazing to look at. Great work.
DAMN, I wish was gonna be at hukilau to see you MASTERS!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies