Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

The best works of art usually take yrs to complete...From what I see .. you're on your way to stardom. GREAT work.

B

BK, This piece is really coming on Strong, I Love the detail and degree of finish is far superior to your previous one. Also I'm VERY Jealous of your tool list that has grown by leaps and bounds her recently, I Love it!

Coming along nicely...

P.S. Thanks, Ben

The intricacy of your designs are getting finer BK- This piece is astounding!!

20+ more inlays to cut now...

Holy Crap! That's all I have to say about that.

Hukilau!

Ignore the video..Listen, close your eyes and pretend that you are a British soldier in 1845. There are probably 1000 warriors in front of that Pa. You have (1) round in that Enfield rifle. It takes you 30 seconds to load the next one.....I love Hakas.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MjxndCojs&search=Haka%20Dance

Puke=ee=lau!!

On 2006-09-30 10:50, Basement Kahuna wrote:
20+ more inlays to cut now...

man, this is gonna be incredible with all the paua inlays. what are the dimensions of the whaikaro?

i saw a haka at the polynesian cultural center and i've seen the all blacks do it before a rugby game, but i hope i can see one done in new zealand someday.

It's nearly 7 feet tall and very wide! Well,I'm over and out for Hukilau for the next 7 days! Aloha,all. P.S. Bullet I'd love to see the All Blacks Haka in person...the biggest and the baddest!

Were you Haka-fans aware that the All Blacks came up with a new one this year? It has only been performed a couple of times. The old/trad haka 'Ka mate' is not really an appropriate statement for NZ as a whole, because it was originally 'sung' by the cheif Te Raparaha after narrowly avoiding capture (during a mass killing spree in the South Island... As such, there has/had been much talk of creating one for NZ/Rugby in general. Its damn cool with a knarly 'cut-your-throat' action at the end... I would hate to be standing on the wrong team when it was performed!!

*I saw Ka mate performed by the Nelson Bays provincial team (& joined by about 50+ highschool students on the field) when CCCP/Russia toured NZ several years ago. Try to imagine 65+ big tough blokes bellowing their lungs out in unison, then echoed back by surrounding hills... Oh MAN, talk about chills!! Raaaarrrgh!!! T3

L
Loki posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 5:53 PM

i thought i noticed something different. I still get goose bumps everytime i see it.

Back from Hukilau! New tiki in the Mai Kai! Me in Tiki Art Now 4! Three limited edition Gecko casts! Lots in the works...busy busy for a while starting now...

T

On 2006-09-29 23:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Coming along nicely...

Coming along VERY nicely, indeed. Great stuff BK!

Here is a piece recently finished ...it's a neat one, 3 inches. It's a Ngorieru, a type of sea spirit of the Solomons. I always enjoy carving Solomons pieces; it's a very undersung indigenous art area. The clubs are interesting, too...they often get called "wooden swords" but are actually carved in the likeness of a spirit fish.

J

Hey BK,
Your work continues to amaze me! What I wouldn't give to have half your talent at anything! Keep the updates coming.
Aloha,
Jen

Here's another thing I do...tie glass float rigs. I can tie three different styles...Sheetbend Rigs (like the large blue fiberglobe "float" in the pictures...actually a 20-inch diameter outdoor lamp I make) Norway Rigs (right in the picture), and Japan Rigs (like the 3-way tuna charm rig and the seagrass rope one in the picture). It's tedious but good to know when you find loose glass floats. Don't ask me how to do it! :wink:

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 2:29 AM

That little Solomon's fella is way cool - I've never seen that type of figure before. I am quite familiar with the kapkap and other clamshell adornments which are some of my favourite types of Oceanic jewellery. Where did you come across the design/concept - is it a traditonal form or something you've created around a story or legend?

M

BK, where do you find these designs? That is an awesome peice for sure. Very Nice work.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Hey BK, your last boner is the best I have seen you do Yet, Keep'em coming, I Reall love this guy!

Thanks, guys...It's based (with slightly more "flow" for the sake of a jewelry piece) on a stone petroglyph...there are a few of them that survive. Ngorieru is a known form and a big part of Solomons mythology.

M

Just found this coin. Sweet lines.

Keep em coming BK

Mahalo

McTiki

B
Bete posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 10:45 AM

That sea spirit of the Solomons piece is so cool, really nice job on that, what an interesting character that spirit is.

J

The Solomon Islands have some really neat art. This is a wild example and one I hadn't seen before. It almost looks like it has som Indonesian influence.

Great work.

JP

Here's a commissioned 5-foot Bora Bora style tiki I just carved

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-11-05 21:32 ]

Hey - That is super sweet! The eyebrow/crown and knee carvings are killing me!

[And the Forbidden Island shirt's nice, too. You aren't pointing to it in the first photo, are you? Did Martiki comission your latest creation?!!! Oh I'd be so stoked to work up next to it. ]

Just the war clubs in F.I. so far...but hopefully not all I'll be doing for the place!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 10:51 PM

Aside from how great this guy looks, with his lovely dark patina, this made me chuckle :lol: :

NICE CURVES on da Bora Bora, BK!!! The patina of your pieces are sooo ancient, worn and warm...BRILLIANT! :D Looks like your workshop is really coming together...looks...uh, uhmm, errr...organized??? :roll:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

looks like ya got your own little oceanic arts goin' on there, bk! your workshop looks like a fascinating place to visit. the bora bora is perfect. ok now, quit holding back on the whaikaro pics. :D

C

Perfect BK...no surprise!

B

More excellent stuff from The BK. Thannx for posting, I Know you've been busy, but we miss your helpful posts of olden dayz.

J

On 2006-11-06 16:48, Benzart wrote:
More excellent stuff from The BK. Thannx for posting, I Know you've been busy, but we miss your helpful posts of olden dayz.

Ditto. I was typing pretty much the same thing when I read Benzarts.

JP

Koolio BK! Like the shop too.

Thanks, y'all. I have been sorta slammed. But, alas, still poor. So I slam on! More Whaikaro pics coming soon. In the home stretch.

Here is a Rapa Nui Birdman Petroglyph/Cranial petroglyph necklace I just completed for Nikki's Birthday. Carved in Mammoth Ivory.

B

Nice birdman stukk BK, Keep bringin' it on!

M

On 2006-11-05 22:51, Paipo wrote:
Aside from how great this guy looks, with his lovely dark patina, this made me chuckle :lol: :

yhe I know how it is those days when you have puffers laying around all over the floor.....you just have to stuff them away in a shelf to get some space.... :o :o

Great work kahuna,thanks for sharing!

I'm still stuck on this one. Wow!

On 2006-10-23 22:41, Basement Kahuna wrote:

B

I know where you're coming from aarons, Me Too. He just has so much Movement and character.
BK can I borrow the pattern for this guy?

C

Aloha! Great thread every thing is so special!!

Thanks, Clarita. Here is a recently completed Maori pendant. Needs some minor contour work and perfecting and another polish. A storage house image with three Manaia.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-11-09 19:27 ]

they just keep getting better and better! beautiful work, bk! i'm excited to see your take on hei tiki.

Thanks, Bullet. I'll be designing one for you and another for Queen Kamahameha tomorrow! There's a GuGu in the air somewhere for you!

yesssss!!! basement kahuna hei tiki! ooooooooooo, i'm so excited! :D gotta get some more bamboo hooks for da gugu!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies