Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

S

Right on BK! I will have to try that crazy BK Mix soon.
I already put minwax #225 on this morning.
Many mahalos

B

Hey BK where you been? Have you tried that concoction on pine ever? Does it come out splotchy like regular stain does? Look forward to your next post.

Aloha, Dan...that Tongaroa was, in fact white pine. Turned out good. The Japan Dryer is the non-make-a-mess ingredient. You can find it at Home Depot. It was the way they used to dry those hundred-layer Japanese lacquers in the high eastern humidity.

'Pimpin ain't easy...

F

Keep the Pimp-Hand strong BK, keep the Pimp-Hand strong.

Game recognize game.

Actually, Kris there in the green does all of my talking for me. "Basement Kahuna would like to know what his cut is... dig?"

I think this would make a great reality TV show. Life at the Kahuna Kompound. "In Tiki faith, similar to Mormon faith, it is absolutley OK to..."

Life in the Kahuna compound would have to be pretty scripted. I'm a pretty boring guy. For the life of me I don't know why these ladies put up with me...

S

Nice Pimpin PR shot! :)

You know it's hard out here for a pimp (You ain't knowin')
When he tryin' to get this money for the rent (You ain't knowin')
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (You ain't knowin')

The world will know this Spring... congrats bruddah... and way to represent for the rest of us this side of the Mississippi. :wink:

T

Awesome photo, man. You're my hero! :wink:

Thanks for the stain recipe. Gotta try that one out.

does BK have 99 problems but a wahine ain't one?

J
JTD posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 10:17 AM

BK,
Please carve me one of those blonde ones. Some of your best work yet!
Tom

Aloha BK! Reminds me of the Old Spice commercial....AHOY...
Freddie

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 11:39 AM

On 2008-01-09 09:13, Basement Kahuna wrote:

Pimp?!!

And all this time GROG thought you were a tiki carver.

On 2008-01-09 17:10, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I'm a pretty boring guy. For the life of me I don't know why these ladies put up with me...

BK, man... you destroyed this fantasy I was nurturing, that you had discovered a tribe of women somewhere that would adore a man simply because he was obsessed with, and had solely dedicated himself to, Tiki culture! :cry:

J

I see Mr. "W" (pronounced with a Russian accent) has finally succeeded in his grand plan!

You crazy ass mutha fruckin' pimp!

Diablo taught me everything I know.

V

but why the white socks ?

That's his skin! With that many women he never has to leave the house.
Great pic.

You and The Hef really piss me off.

On 2008-01-09 09:13, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Actually, Kris there in the green does all of my talking for me. "Basement Kahuna would like to know what his cut is... dig?"

She looks like she could be your twin sister!!

T

This is truly 'the pimp style'. You´ve got the look. Ever tried some modeling?

You all are hereby invited to the Grotto..Dissapointing as it may be: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=279603638

A new bone Maori Warrior Chief pendant I just finished carving for Freddie Ballsomic. This one is based on what would be a typical meeting house panel image. 4 inches!

B

Shoul'da read this one first. Incredible stuff and getting More Better with every piece!

Thanks, Ben...likewise.

New less expensive Marquesan Mask for my tiki bar fronts. An authentic but kind of rare eye style with a lot of seaworn looking distressing.

BK-

If I may ask, what do you feel has been the most difficult or challenging piece you've carved to date? And was it coming up with the design or the actual carving that made it tougher than others??

Keep up all the excellent work!

On 2008-01-21 14:01, Capt'n Skully wrote:
BK-

If I may ask, what do you feel has been the most difficult or challenging piece you've carved to date? And was it coming up with the design or the actual carving that made it tougher than others??

Keep up all the excellent work!

Oddly enough, skully, the most difficult piece for was a piece I should have felt at home with from the get-go, and I did not design it, but it's the Marquesan U'U club. Getting all of the angles and contours perfect and true to form on this club are very hard, especially in a grainier wood. Because of the geometric aspect, it reverses grain direction constantly and all of those little creation spirit faces are challenging. As far as designing goes, it (seems) easy to me now because I've worked out a lot of home-brewed methods and little tricks that work for me now inasmuch as making the process easier and faster. Templates and transparencies and fold-overs and so-on. Aesthetics are luckily a strongpoint for me-and man, do I have ample weakpoints. But when I began, even designing something like a new style of moulding was a tremendous challenge. Being less hard on yourself is the most daunting challenge for any artist if you ask me.

Thanks for the answer, BK. I guess if artists weren't so harshly critical of their own work and thought it was a masterpiece, they wouldn't have reason to progress.

Much respect for your talent and attention to detail (& pimp-nessity)!

Being less hard on yourself is the most daunting challenge for any artist if you ask me.

Awesome...that is what my fellow carver and I have been trying to convince ourselves of since day one. At the very least, when we are working we are doing more than most in the way of actually making/carving.

Thanks for the great work and words of wisdom!

A new 4 1/2 Tangaroa bar for Tiki Central's own Florida Bureau Chief of Mixology, the 'Ragin Rarotongan.. the spot on the mask in the last photo is an orb sent by Tangaroa to inspect my work..

Super clean BK!

Looks like you have a nice stash of aged bamboo.

That bar has some great lines and the style of the mask compliments it perfectly.

How about a looksee at the panel you have going on in the background? :o

Thanks, brah..yeah-you can probably see I'm piercing the bottom decorations on the Meeting House panel now. It gets work little by little when the mana feels right.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 12:33 AM

You make Bamboo Ben proud.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 7:46 AM

Damn fine work! Very tight...A+

Aloha Basement Kahuna!!!
Your bar is Sweet my friend, but everything that you create is Aweasome! I hope all is well ,Aloha, your friend, Mooney

Wow! I almost messed myself when Dave sent me the pics of my bar. I have always wanted a Basement Kahuna piece, and now I will have three! The bar, a double sided Marquesan wall plaque as seen at the Marketplace in Waikiki, and the mask he just posted. I am honored, and cannot wait to sit at it for the first time and sip my new fav out of sippin' safari The Nui Nui! Dave is not only an extraordinary artist but a true gentleman, and I can't wait to have him over for drinks. Stay tiki....Aaron

Only a short time now until the new issue of Tiki Magazine comes out, for which I, Basement Kahuna, am your humble featured carver! Sharing the issue with Boobamben and a lot of other talented folk. Many deep, dark Basement Kahuna secrets revealed. They were going to do a "me" version of the "Demi Moore pregnant" cover but they went with the Ben cover instead. Probably better. :wink:

J

On 2008-03-04 16:30, Basement Kahuna wrote:
.......they went with the Ben cover instead. Probably better.

Yep, better.

Congrats though

Congrats, BK! I look forward to reading it (and seeing a naked, pregnant Ben).

GT

Your awesome work deserves a lot! Mahalo! Gogo

that's great news! tikimag never disappoints! can't wait to read the article!

Can't wait for the Deep Dark BK Secrets!!!

After spending 4 days with you a while back in the GA. ....

I can only imagine what they are!!!!

p.s.

They went with GROG for the cover...

( it's all his ( Grog's) fault!!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies