Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

P

where do you find these photos BK? un-freaking believable. your work is astounding. i think i'm going to set aside some of my xmas bonus for a piece.

It's a real club. One of the standard forms in Fijian club carving. Lots of interesting variations on the ricasso of these clubs; from rather straight to "X" form like this one to almost ray-like smooth blades. I think they relate more to the individuals who carved them than the region in the case of these. An excellent reference on these clubs is "Fijian Weapons And Warfare", by Fergus Clunie, available direct order from the Fiji Museum.

Hi, Drake! Those are in the Dominion Museum collection. They are online at several sites. You can google his name and a treasure trove of information comes up. Here's one, where these pictures came from. He is recognized universally in the arts in New Zealand. He passed back over in 1972. http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?Find_Quick.asp?PersonEssay=4T3

Truly sweeet carves BK! Your weaponry is tight!! All your works show a deep respect and nod for ancient craftsmanship.

I wanted to share that, although I haven't seen my Waka Taua personally, my wife told me that is,"Very pretty and smooth."

Hurrumphhh...phtttt...Now what kinda manly-man would wear something "very pretty and smooth" around thier neck? Arrrrghhh!

I can't wait to prove her wrong...strap it tightly around my neck and go seal clubbing!!!
Jus' kidding round, I can't wait to see it and wear it proudly!

Looking forward to seeing you get your carve on, at the Hukilau...Flip-flOp-fLipPp

BK, That Cula Cula is Bad A$$. Top Shelf as usual!

i'm truly blown away by the cula cula, bk! it greatly exceeds my expectations, and they were high knowing your skill. big mahaloz, brah. i'm thrilled to be adding it to my tc art collection. it will hang in a place of honor in my house.

P

Holy S*#t dude! That Cula Cula is mindblowing! Respect! T3

M

Authentic and accurate perfection BK. Awesome.

Mahalo

McTiki

truly wonderful BK....Kingstiedye will have a spectacular addition to his collection....and
the house panel...too much for words. thanks for the "historical" link too.

J

That club is soooo sweet. I know that took forever. I really need a close up of the detail decoration.

Those old photos are a treasure.

JP

Thanks, all...and they do take forever. Certain clubs longer than others, but the tava decoration in these Fijian clubs takes far longer. The panel is coming along....more photos soon.

P

You shoulda seen the looks we were getting strolling around Trader Vics with that thing a few weeks ago.
Then I thought the security guard was gonna draw down when BK pulled another club of his trunk and we started twirling away at each other.

If I ever invade another island I'm choosing BK for my team first.

ASININITY NE PLUS ULTRA!!
(with a kinikini and a flaming grog)

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 3:53 PM

Just wondering if you've kept a few of these beauties for yourself BK? A personal armoury perhaps....if so, I'd love to see some pics. If I made something like that Cula Cula I wouldn't be able to let it go.
I've gotta say after rereading some of your old posts that I'm very impresssed with the amount of research you put into these pieces too.

Paipo I unfortunately don't own a single piece of my own work...I just can't afford to anymore. And I guess in reality it's better off out there in the world. I do own a few pieces from other old TC carvers, like Gecko and Ben. Maybe someday I'll carve myself a special Taiaha. Thanks for the compliments, man.

BK that Maori PuPu panel and the club are PERFECTION! Beautiful!

ST

Slllowww progress...

Amazing BK, always amazing!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Absolutely Stunning!!

B

BK, This guy is really coming along nicely. Might be your best one yet.

M

I must say that this is an awesome carving BK! So what if it takes time, it looks fantastic.

Mahalo

McTiki

You do excellent work BK- No doubt about it.. Your passion shines through each piece of work.

I've seen alot of honing of your skills in these last pieces, too.

Can't wait to see this one completed!

AAARRRRR!!
~Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2006-09-20 08:57 ]

just incredible, bk! i gotta get a panel.

J

Wonderful work. Such precision! More.

JP

There's so many designs and patterns going on there, it's beautiful...I would never have the patience for that, well maybe once...but that would be it for a lifetime. Excellent as usual.

this is the kinda stuff that we look at... and can't imagine the skills that would be
required....and you are DOING IT! Truly inspiring.

H
harro posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 8:21 PM

amazing stuff!

where is this beauty destined?

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 8:24 PM

Nice!

Detail of Taiwaru knotching on the shoulders of the panel

This piece is now sold. I will be doing another one in a short whil...different style, more narrow.

J

Damn impressive! Incredibly deep carving. Thanks for the close ups. Looks like poplar? And is that a Home Depot Buck Brothers chisel I see? If it is you must have spent an hour getting it sharp enough to actually carve with.

JP

That's an old Buck fantail indeed...but I have had it for years and it has that rough-around-the-edges but effective Stanley style steel in it so it holds an edge pretty well. THIS was my prize for the next few months! I found all of this this morning at the flea market-for...drum roll....80 dollars. Porter Cable detail sander in the case with all acessories, 14 Henry Taylor and turn-of-the-century Acorn chisels, a hand-turned Catalpa wood mallet, an entire box of very, very expensive Swedish ship/net riggers tools, books on inlay, furniture joinery, the zen and nature of the craftsman, vintage hand tools, etc. Two of the books alone have 40.00 jacket prices. Happy Birthday To Me!

Now we're trucking. The basic elements are laid out...we know we using a single toothing technique for the cheek spirals and the Taowaru (referring to Pataki type)for the joints. The other elements are pay-as-you-go, but once you have a rhythm on a piece like this it starts to progress quickly. The mata-kupenga for the background is penciled in now and awaits sculpting. The second picture is of an air hose hooked up to a compressor ...very nice to have around for something like this. Why? So you don't have to constantly brush large amounts of waste wood out of your way...just blow it out! The third picture is of my chisarsenal. You can never have too many chisels, especially of different types and specialties. You will use them all eventually. Most of mine are Henry Taylor...I use some Pfiel, and some very old Sheffield chisels from the turn-of-the-century. You just can't beat the steel in these. It has a temper like a diamond.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 1:01 AM

Interesting thing with using the air compressor...I might have this slightly wrong, but I seem to remember it is tapu to blow shavings or dust from a Maori carving with the mouth, and a brush (or compressor!) is usually kept for this purpose instead. I'm afraid I'm guilty of blowing on my stuff when I'm dry sanding from time to time, but a toothbrush (which I also use) does a better job anyway.
Keep the primo whakairo rolling BK...I am amping to see this one done!

that panel is frikin amazing....... cant wait to see it stained...

You're right, Paipo! The reason for the "blowing" tapu relates to the "foodstuff contamination" tapu. It is the worst tapu to have food touch a carving, or to walk under hanging food. So no take-out anywhere near the carving bench! It is also tapu to smoke a pipe while observing carving (if you are the carver it is fine). It is tapu to add onto or resume another's uncompleted carving after their death. Women are also tapu in the work areas while carving is in progress. Unless you're Tikifille. Because she's better than half us guys :wink: .

must...have...more...updates...need...my...whaikaro...fix...

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 4:01 PM

On 2006-09-25 08:35, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Women are also tapu in the work areas while carving is in progress.

Try telling my wife this! Maybe I need a sign? I have met a couple of traditonal carvers who are sticklers for the rules.

:)

Swedish ship/net riggers tools

SCORE!!!! if ya evah want tah sell 'em....

Love the updates! How long does a carving like this take you? I don't think I'd be able to tell your carving from an original Maori when you're done with it.

Dave, that piece is incredible. One of the highlights of my trip to Tiki Oasis a few years back was to lay hands on your old walnut Maori panel (from the "Tiki Carving Methodology" thread) that is now in the hands of Hummuhummu. It's always nice to look at, but always better to feel a carving. But this piece looks like it will surpass that one, and you are in fine form these days my friend.

Just curious - what is the offset for between the handle and the blade on the third chisel from the right? What does that do?

On 2006-09-23 10:01, Basement Kahuna wrote:

A-A

T

Hey BK -

I gotta get one of these. It's the hot setup.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-09-29 21:55 ]

H
Heath posted on Fri, Sep 29, 2006 6:25 AM

On 2006-09-28 21:20, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Dave, that piece is incredible. One of the highlights of my trip to Tiki Oasis a few years back was to lay hands on your old walnut Maori panel (from the "Tiki Carving Methodology" thread) that is now in the hands of Hummuhummu. It's always nice to look at, but always better to feel a carving. But this piece looks like it will surpass that one, and you are in fine form these days my friend.

Just curious - what is the offset for between the handle and the blade on the third chisel from the right? What does that do?

On 2006-09-23 10:01, Basement Kahuna wrote:

A-A

It looks like a chisel from a mortiser. They're used with a special drillbit to create square holes in wood. Very specialized tool.

[ Edited by: Heath 2006-09-29 10:46 ]

It's just a 3/4" deep-bend straight chisel if you ask me...I've found it gets in some places that are hard to reach. It's a Buck Brothers from around 1890...you can shave your face with it!. It also is great for smoothing floor areas in deeper relief.

H

Sorry BK, I was focusing on what was next to the handle of that chisel. I use a mortiser at work, that's why I was surprised to see it with all the carving tools.

Hey BK. Just going back to wahine involvement for a bit: I was very surprised to find the HOD & main tutors were women when I started a pounamu carving course a few years ago. This course had involvement by local iwi when it was first being established, so theres your proof that times have changed... Some damn good she-carvers around here too.
*Not very well versed in the protocol of whakairo but I understand that all wood shavings were collected & ceremonially burned/buried also to ensure they werent used in any mataku/black magic.
Cant wait to see this one finished - Can I ask where is it going? TTT

On 2006-09-29 10:45, Heath wrote:
Sorry BK, I was focusing on what was next to the handle of that chisel. I use a mortiser at work, that's why I was surprised to see it with all the carving tools.

Oh, Yeah! That is a mortising tool. Makes a perfect littlebox cut when chipcarving!

I'd love to take a course like that in New Zealand! It's headed for the Kingstiedye collection...more pics tonight! Speaking of she-carvers, whatever happened to our Dawna? Must've gotten hitched!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies