Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

Wow, wow, and wow! There's nothing else I can add that hasn't been said. Simply awsome!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2007 2:00 PM

Yeah, I'll second that. Damn!

-G

truly amazing work, BK.i don't think my jaw will close the rest of the night.

After seeing this piece, I have to take a nap. Either that or melt my chisels and retire! BK TU ERES UN ARTISTA DE VERDAD!

B

Dave, I Knew you would Have to post some pictures sooner or later, It is Just too Awesome of a piece to keep under wraps for too long. We need to see More Progress shots. Excellent piece of work there sir!

Thanks, you all. It's still got quite a bit of work. I thank Kingstiedye as well for being a very patient client on this piece...this was a prepaid deal...I want the finished product to be absolutely as on fire as I can make it. It's going to be in his foyer area; so no room for error. This type of piece is as doable as the next; the main key to getting it from point "A" to point "B" is total planning, a good, solid layout drawing on paper before you begin, and attacking the carving section by section and in small cycles so the big picture doesn't overwhelm you when you are working. Tikimecula has already pinned it looking at his panel-work in sections when you can and when you're absolutely into it. Your work really will show your mood at the time of carving.

Dang...that is just awesome, your passion surely shines through. Beautiful!!! :)

Hokey Smokes. BK, you're amazing.

Stunning.

that...is...unreal. crazy designs. simply amazing
great stuff. wow you got some skill there
looking forward to more

I thought it was going into the
new Hale Tiki Bar you and Brad are opening!!

Or, was that a dream............

Arrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Haole whatty? Me and who?

T
Tabu posted on Fri, Mar 23, 2007 5:57 AM

This carving is really inspirational. You've set the bar really high. Awsome.

On 2007-03-23 05:57, Tabu wrote:
This carving is really inspirational. You've set the bar really high. Awsome.

From my perspective, BK's work is pure inspiration. I once had the pleasure of seeing and feeling his first maori meeting house piece that was eventually purchased by Humuhumu. By feeling it, I mean in the sense of braille, as carvers tend to do when checking out a fine piece of carving. Unfortunately, the pictures of that piece in the "Tiki Carving Methodology" thread fell prey to the dreaded Shutterfly "Red X" plague. Suffice it to say, this new piece looks to be even more in tune with the ancient maori style. Honestly, I'm not sure how BK takes it there, but it's truly a unique thing.

A-A

H

Wood fears you, but it wouldn't if it knew what great work it was going to be reincarnated as. Mack-Daddy details!!!!! Jawja style!!

C

WoW! This is really a stunning piece! Beautiful design and color

Taiaha in progress for a celebrity client...

Nice Peg Board!!

B

BK, This Taiaha really shows how much you have progressed, the detail is just Excellent, definitely an extension of talent from your North Auckland style meeting house panel. When you create projects like these, it only hones your skills higher. Very Well done. I Only would Love to see More progress shots as in BK of old though!

Alright BK......I give up.
I want one of your magic Tiki Wands!

Thats just beautiful......spectacular as always big-D.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Mar 31, 2007 8:13 PM

schweeeeeeet! Nice work, BK (as always).

NICE! Who's the Celeb????

BK blowin' up up again.

Nice talking story with ya the other day, bruddah.

Keep up the mind numbing work!

B

Very beautiful.
Love the swirls (or curves).
It kills

J

I have learned a lot looking at your posts. Like Benzart said, I miss your progress shots also. Your pieces are always top shelf.

JP

A new personal Taiaha recently completed for PDrake. 6 feet long. The next wooden item will be the meeting house panel.

Wow! That is stunning! Congrats Pdrake (swing it OUTSIDE!); well done BK!

Tama :)

Thanks, Tampoutini..I enjoy crafting the Taiaha more than any other club. Here's a great clip (I know Tamp has seen)featuring a very skilled George Henare in "Once Were Warriors" applying a bit of youth correction with this club. One of my favorite pieces to make by a longshot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofybOAqLWZM

P

wow

thanks

i'm no celebrity and certainly hardly worthy of a piece like that.

wow.

BK, the ancients flow thru your veins. Pablus will sleep well tonight.

Gorgeous piece BK! The feathers really bring it home that extral little bit for me on what was already a museum quality piece.

Thanks fer the talky movee clip.

S T

B

WOW, I'm a fan.
I am waiting patiently for the house meeting panel. Yyyiiipppeee !!!

Awesome work, as always, BK.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 6:54 AM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-03 12:53 ]

J

It is carvings like that that made me very interested in carving in the first place. More please! Pdrake is a lucky guy.

And to further the call of the panel. Panel! Panel! Panel! (said in chant).

JP

Absolute Perfection.... You Da Man!!!!

Bee-u-tee-full!!!

H

Intense--Insane!! Sweeter'n a Jawja peach!

killer work as usual and no pun intended.

I thought you might like this link I found. Weapon ornamentation

Your piece looks more intricate than the drawings in the link.

Here are two recent pieces, a bone Hei Tiki and a Rapa Nui/Easter Island Bird Cult cranial petroglyph pendant with black pearl shell eyes. The Hei Tiki is sold, but the Easter Island pendant is available. This is a very good looking design. I'll put a blurb on Marketplace.

B

Really Nice Hei-Tiki BK, I Really Likee. The 2-headed Birdman is really Excellent too, I'm surprised it is not gone Yet!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2007 4:25 AM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-03 12:53 ]

It was just a non-commission piece that I had sketched out so I went ahead and carved it. Thanks for the props, guys.

J

Very, nice. I like the Birdmen. I'm also surprised it is still available.

JP

BK, the Janus - bird man pendant is really powerful. It's really well done and it's spareness contrasts with your very detailed Maori pieces nicely.

Here is a new Manaia I just finished today. I love this piece! This one is is available, so PM me if you are interested. It's somewhat pricey (a very complex piece) but in the hand it's well worth it..

WOW!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies