Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

Nice!!

So cool! Whats the connection on him getting your pendent?
Did he just appear from the blue and buy it or what?

I googled the band they are well known. Ill have to check them out now.

P

I have been rockin' out to Mastodon in the workshop for quite some time - Blood Mountain is on high rotation on the CD player. One of the few contemporary metal bands who can totally foot it with the classics. At risk of offending the purists, I think metal and tiki make a pretty good mix. Shot BK! Now what's new?

P

PS which piece of yours is he sporting in the pic?

I still consider "fix my head" the greatest punk rock song ever written...

Hey, Paip, sorry, brah-lost my thread in the shuffle. I knew Brent briefly from before as a tiki carver...met him at the Mai Kai, Kiliki introduced me and we actually hit it off, walked around and gawked and compared notes on the carvings. He's a pretty damned good tiki carver. That piece is the next to last recent bone piece I carved. We had talked about a neck piece at the Mai Kai. Brent came out and stayed here at Club Dave while Mastodon was in town with Brian Posehn and I delivered it then. Had a f'in blast. Probably drank too much.

There goes the neighborhood! I just noticed that Basement Kahuna is now an official Google search prompt! Fight this now before the property values go down too far! Utterly crazy, man.

Whats really bad is that we have to use Google to find any of your work!! Come on - lets see something new.

You can see a lot of it on Myspace.com, just search Basement Kahuna. Wish I had more time to post, but don't.

(Best Mai-Kai Sonny voice): "Thank you and we'd like to welcome on your journey to the island of Basement Kahuna, know for his wierd idiosynchracies, anal-retentive carving practices and incredibly slow delivery times, and often reclusive if hedonistic nature"... :) Here's a fairly traditional Bora Bora guy for Pappythesailor, 6 feet 4 inches in cedar. Hope it was worth the wait, Jay!! Hot off the bench! I'm working on getting everybody on the commish list wrapped up, (Queen K, Kingstiedye, Tom D., Traveling Jones yer also in production all at once!!). Then it's Basement Kahuna one-off stuff indefinitely.

The Cockeyed Mayor Of CarvaKaKai.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2009-08-04 12:21 ]

WooHoo!

8T

Wait till you see it in person, you'll probably wet yourself.
Dave's stuff looks even BETTER when you stand next to it!!!
Nicely done BK.

T

SWEET. Of course.

Oh, btw, is this your tar and mineral spirits finish?

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2009-08-04 14:36 ]

YAY!!!!

Looks fantastic!

pappy, our kids are going to have to have a play date or something after you get that guy placed in your lounge! :)

C

Nice BK...thanks for showing us what you're up to.

BK ....he lives!!!!!!!!!

Amy

Awesome carve

I think it looks great. These pics are the first I've seen of it and I'm mighty happy. It's gonna be the focal point of the Bora Bora Basement (Granite you have an open invite.) BK, I hope this is just the start of a whole bunch more swell tikis from you this year. Thanks.

(Time to buy that spotlight? Maybe I'll wait until he arrives...)

BK

Pappy, I expect some pics when this guy arrives in MA.

B

Nice Bora Bora guy BK, Who's up next and how long do we get to wait for this one?

A

Good to see you back at some big Tikis. I like the jewelery but bigger is better. It's the American way.
Nice chops!

Fantastic stuff BK!!

The Kahuna returns! Love the weird wooden-greenish color of those marquesan eyes!!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Aug 5, 2009 8:37 AM

Is that a Sonny tribute headpiece too?

You are crackin on it just in time to get something in the Hideaway. You have any weapons on your agenda? I can add to your commish list!

L

WOW! Great carving, and say that has not already been said!?! Long time I watch your work, you're a magician of the material! Really I think!
As against the posture preparatory "Yan Shou Gong Quan" can be improved: you must keep your back straight when digging over the adductor (not buttocks back!) and the right hand in the hollow plexus... :P

like this:

Sorry for crappy pics.

J.

Love the carve....enjoy the comments almost as much... thanks for sharing your craft....and poses.....

Freaking Rad!

BK's back... and with a mission!

Classic clean stylings on this one, bruddah.

Love the painted accents!

Good to see ya carve a log again, missed ya around these parts.

well this is great news! i love the bora bora. hit the panel while you're hot! :)

:D :tiki: Da Kane BK risen... CHOP! CHOP!! :tiki: :D

Thanks, everyone...moving the shop yet again (fourth time!)to a less junk, wasp, heat, and spider infested environment. Should take a few days.. but will be more fun and can get more done. Aloha!

Aloha, all. Haven't had much time for the bones lately hence the few posts but did this new 1 1/2 x 3" Manaia a week ago in my spare hours...8 inlays and 33 openwork points..It'll be for sale at Tiki Marketplace

Another Great carve BK!!!! I hope we see more of your magic to come! Aloha, Mooney

T

Love the vintage color on that! Crazy carve. I think I would hurt myself attempting something like that. :lol:

T

Very nice bone carve man... what happen to the awesome Maori carving you started a while back, did I missed something, is it done? I really like your bone carving but I'm a sucker for your bigger piece.

B

Man, you Know I love your bone works more than Anything. Nice to see you posting too Braugh!

Thanks,Braddah Ben and Mooney, T and Tahi. What is it they say about the company you keep? I'm blessed in that department, man!

R

:D you make me smile dude!

Trying to keep the jewelry chops up! A Maori Altar image in beautiful Fossil Blue Whale. Posted this on Marketplace as well...I love this piece.

T

wow U HAVE SOME Awesome pieces

B

I love it too, beautiful design. I won't be surprised if I learn you got some maori blood in yer veins.

Benjamin.

T

Sweeeeet! Beautiful color in that piece.

Doing some clubs of late just to stay in practice while finishing older client orders. Here are two; the first is a Maori Taiaha, my sixth to date, and something that I truly love to make.. 57 inches. A true weapon, balanced and fire hardened and polished from top to bottom. In very old black walnut. The second weapon with the bladed top is called a Tewhatewha. This was a club carried by chiefs and denoted marshal authority. The feathers had two purposes, a signal much like a flag that could be seen from a distance, as well as a distraction to an opponent. The business end of the top of the club is acthually the straight back edge. The blade serves only as a weight to bring the backswing down harder. The sharpened end could be used to then dispatch the opponent. The single carving at the end of the weapon is typical for these. This one is in nicely figured antique cherry.

The Cockeyed Mayor Of CarvaKaKai.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2009-11-01 21:06 ]

Good to see you back my friend, and in perfect form.

The new pieces are a work of beauty, and I'm sure quite functional. :o

The Master is back.

Glad to see ya back on the clubs BK. It's been to long.

That cherry wood looks beautiful with that finish.

Spectacular. Welcome back!

Nice work BK! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

B

About time old man. Sweet pieces both.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 8:42 PM

High quality weapons for sure! Love the taiaha...

J.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies