Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

B
Bete posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 5:42 PM

Great work per usual Basement Kahuna!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 5:50 PM

P.S. I just got caught up looking through all your new pieces posted in here since my last post, nice new pieces Man, great work!!

Thanks, Bete, and everybody. Check out the new Tiki Magazine feature if you get a chance..many great mysteries revealed!

J

On 2008-04-29 17:20, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Thanks, Bete, and everybody. Check out the new Tiki Magazine feature if you get a chance..many great mysteries revealed!

Just recieved my copy today!

Congrats on the great article, Kahuna! I knew the name from these boards, so it felt like "family" was gettin' some creds :)

bump

"Huh, whaa??" ...Oh, yeah-hey guys. (Mooney woke me up...thanks, brah!) WHat I've been up to lately is four rail posts for Queen Kamahameha, the ongoing Maori house panel for Kingstiedye, a tiki for Pappy, a warclub for JTD, a Tongaroa for 'Ragin, a 4-foot Bora for TNTiki, and on, and on..Commissions seem to be the life of me. But I have found some spare time to carve some bone, earmarked for Hukilau-only sale. Three intertwined Manaia, and the Nature of Tamahae over the Nature of Kanohi.

The Cockeyed Mayor Of CarvaKaKai.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2008-05-31 10:30 ]

Aloha BK!!! I knew you had to B Shavin some WOOD, and I know it's somewhat secret,, but come on we want to see the magic like the old days of posting those Killer carvings. Lets see the panel for Bullet,and all those other sweet carvings. Sorry my friend got a little carried away but I dig your wood carvings and miss seeing them,Aloha Mooney see ya at the Hukilau

On 2008-05-31 10:30, Basement Kahuna wrote:
WHat I've been up to lately is four rail posts for Queen Kamahameha, the ongoing Maori house panel for Kingstiedye, a tiki for Pappy, a warclub for JTD, a Tongaroa for 'Ragin, a 4-foot Bora for TNTiki, and on, and on..Commissions seem to be the life of me..

BK indahouse! Jeez mate, no wonder we've not seen much of you lately - although youve also dropped yourself right in it as far as progress reports go. Now that we know what there is to see, we wanna see.. Pure praise for taking on all those commissions (theyre the death of me..heehee)

Nice bones! Love the multi-Manaia!

Congratulations BK on the mag. Good Job

Thanks, Moon, Tamp and Marcus. In the words of Ali G. "mad respek". The commish stuff is all in the carving stage but for a couple of the railposts..I'll post a pic of the pieces when I get a chance. I don't like to post progress photos anymore because I don't have much time, but I usually try to get pics on here if I can as stuff gets completed (minus a piece or two that has to go out "yesterday!"). The bone stuff is easy to photo..very small.

A bone Marquesan Tiki Ivi Poo "vendetta" hair ornament. Virani owns one of the others I've carved and Sven Kirsten owns the second

B

Excellent.

Benjamin.

Sweet little Marq BK! How big/small is it?

I guessed at a glance about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1". Th 1" is the height laying down. You have to carve the flat sides on these so your thicker material is on the side so you can get the right depth to pierce the arms. On a piece of femur bone, anyway. I love these, though. The Marquesans had a million variants...they say no two alike.

S

Most excellent Marquesan Tiki Ivi Poo.
Its so cute!

J

Thanks for dimensions on that very nice piece, I was wondering how big it was as well.

Thanks, guys. If you can get the Metropolitan Museum book "Adorning The World, Art Of The Marquesas Islands" there are some nice examples of these to see. One of the better books on Marquesas art.

TD

whoa! dude that's wicked!
wow

Here's a little sumpin sumpin I recently added to my Paupuan artifact collection...a Mindibit Crocodile Slit Drum, Central Sepik River area. Always wanted a big one of these, as most examples available now are quite a bit smaller and sold for the tourist trade. This one is the real deal, appx. 60 years old. 11 x 55 inches! As you can see, it's neighbors in the collection are happy!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

S

Very nice find. Makes me think of JohnnyP I want
to hear one of those some day in the woods.

PT

Aloha!

Great looking work! I've read over all 69 pages of this thread, and I'm not sure what I like better, the work or Basement Kahuna's poses. I hope that I am able to be this good in time. Just keep at it... just keep at it...

Cheers! :drink:

K

Excellent add to what I am sure is an outstanding collection!
By the way, LOOOOVE the table and chairs!!
K.

S

They say the drumming in Papua New Guinea is a language. It isn't loud and boisterous, but almost like typing. There is a syntax to it and it communicates a lot of meaning.

"it's neighbors in the collection are happy! "

....before scrolling down to see the other pics, i thought you were refering to your cat sleeping/lying in the chair in the first pic!...lol

With all the fighting going on in Georgia I hope you're alright....heheh

Man! Just went to the Chicago Field Museum and could have sworn your work was there!

is that a live cat

or stuffed cat

on the chair?!?

On 2008-08-10 23:32, Jungle Trader wrote:
With all the fighting going on in Georgia I hope you're alright....heheh

Number one ranked team in the damned country, Sports Illustrated cover, and how do they handle it? Like college football players. I just hope there is a team once they get through.

Ben, that be a live cat...14 years my companion. I love 'er. Terrace..are you serious? That's a heck of a compliment even if not. Hope all is well in everybody's neck of the woods. Had to take a shop break for a few weeks to avoid severe burnout. But my tiki batteries are nearing full again!

A recent piece featuring 5 rising Manaia..Just posted it for sale on Tiki Marketplace, as I haven't offered much here this year..

S

Sweet piece Basment! Masterfully done!

Thanks seek...I know I don't get by here as much as I'd like but lots of good work being done here on Creating I can see still. Keep it up!

Forgot to mention to my newer TC friends- I also have a myspace page now which has sort of eclipsed the old web site (I closed it for now). Here is a link, folks. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=279603638 _________________
The Cockeyed Mayor Of CarvaKaKai.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2008-09-26 11:09 ]

Laser quality BK.

Hope things are well in your world. Nice to see you post.

B

BK, I Really Love your Bone Pieces, I just feel something with then I don't get with your other stuff, It's Different and you should be doing Lots of these type pieces. Actually HAppy happyHAppy to be seeing you post again and with fully charged tiki batteries hopefully well be seeing more goodies from the Master again soon? I for one would really love to see a few progress shots so I could see the steps taken to get your final beauty in place. Also I Love the coloring and I have yet to color but one bone piece and would like to see the right way to do it!
Thanks.

Thanks, Ben..To me the flow is definitely different and somewhat challenging in bone, and flow is what any good piece is all about.. It takes a lot more of a tongue-in-cheek approach in a 2 to 3 inch piece of stock. Definitely my new favorite material.

Beautiful clean flowing lines BK...jaw dropping precision.

Very nice work. It almost looks too perfect. You sure you didn't pick that up in New Zealand?
Seriously, it's fantastic.

Hi your carving work is realy good i like the taiaha pics
i am quite new to carving myself and don't know where to start when it comes to carving a taiaha
so any advice would be great thanks

I agree with Benz, LOVE to see the process. Especially cutting the Paua. Suuuuuuuuper nice.

On 2008-09-25 07:29, Basement Kahuna wrote:
A recent piece featuring 5 rising Manaia..

:o Wow! "full on!" I count 31 pierced holes in that sucker! Thats what I call committment. Good to see an artist who accepts no compromise - Nice job BK!

J

What other masterpieces are in the works at the BK workshop?

B

bk that piece is a.. ma.. zing!!
now i need tools to try bone and stone

more tools more tools

B

DYAM! This is just crazy intense stuff BK...Your just way over the top!

Thanks, guys. A lot of good work lately here on Creating by everybody. Kia Ora.

Here's Brent Hinds of the unstoppable metal comet Mastodon front and center wearing his BK bone carving on the Unholy Alliance tour w/Slayer!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies