Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Dark & Stormy

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

Not really a "tiki drink", but it's made with rum and is a traditional sailors drink from the Carribean:

1 part Ginger Beer
1 part Gossling's Black Seal Rum (Bermuda black rum)
Wedge of Lime

These are really popular in most sailing towns like Newport R.I.

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-09-28 10:32 ]

Great Drink, Urban Tiki! Damn Great Drink, as a matter of fact! I'd say it's More Than Tiki Enough for Me!
Make sure to use Jamaican Ginger Beer in this. Not Ginger Ale. If you have access to it, Blenheim's Ginger Ale does well but I'd stick with the Jamaican Ginger Beer anyhow. I add 1/2 part ginger-infused syrup just to zing mine up a bit.
Also: Squeeze the Lime Wedge(s) (I use two) into the drink and then drop them in. Don't just hang them on the side for decoration. I also add a slice or two of fresh ginger.
4 or 5 cubes of ice in an Old-Fashioned glass.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-09-29 23:25 ]

After a night of drinking nothing but Mai Tai's I switched to the Dark and Stormy's, and they really hit the spot. A nice, light and bubbly texture, with a very sharp taste.

Easy to make too. An even better reason to end yr drinking binge with 'em...

On 2004-09-29 23:24, Traitor Vic wrote:
I add 1/2 part ginger-infused syrup just to zing mine up a bit.

Do you add the ginger syrup when using Blenheim's or Jamaican ginger beer? That would sure be a ginger-fest!

And I'm curious what brand of ginger syrup you use or do you make your own?

Mixing equal parts dark rum and ginger wine (Stones, Crabbes etc) is even more of a kick. It's a great one to drink after being out on a cold, dark winter's day.

Do you get ginger wine in the US?

Trader Woody

UT

On 2004-10-06 05:52, Trader Woody wrote:
Mixing equal parts dark rum and ginger wine (Stones, Crabbes etc) is even more of a kick. It's a great one to drink after being out on a cold, dark winter's day.

Trader Woody

I've never seen it, but I never knew it existed and, therefore, never looked. Being in NYC, if it's available in the U.S., it should be here so I'll check this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

TC

On 2004-10-06 13:19, Urban Tiki wrote:

Trader Woody

I've never seen it, but I never knew it existed and, therefore, never looked. Being in NYC, if it's available in the U.S., it should be here so I'll check this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Trader Woody turned me on to this drink back when I lived in London. It's great, especially on wintry nights!

I have seen Stone's Ginger Wine at shops here in Jersey. So, I'm sure you can pick it up in Manhattan.

Cheers,
TC

S

Hey Urban,

I was about to email you for the Dark & Stormy mixology when I came across this post. Thanks for sharing and for turning me on to the Dark & Stormy at Otto's Shrunken Head. Man, those go down way too smooth! TC NYC, The Fishermen, and 4 Dark and Stormy's make for a most memorable night (and sometimes an ugly morning!).

Catcha later.

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-10-15 16:47 ]

T

Ginger Infused Syrup from Ginger Island Restaurant,Berkeley, CA, now closed.
Peel one or two hands of fresh ginger. Slice enough to make a cup or so. If you like it strong add more. Add two cups sugar to one pint of water, add ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for awhile. Cool and strain into a bottle. Keep in icebox.

Yep! That sounds about like the syrup I make. I grate my ginger, though, instead of slicing it. I don't know that one results in a stronger flavor. And yes I use the syrup when using the stronger flavored beverages. Its not too stong on it's own and you're not really using that much.

The fresh ginger (even "fresh" as in Homemade Syrup) has the same influence as fresh lime juice as opposed to ReaLime or Frozen Lime Juice. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

They have Dark and Stormy on the drink menu at the Mai Kai. Wouldn't that make it qualify as a "tiki drink"?

On 2004-10-29 09:49, Deery Luau wrote:
They have Dark and Stormy on the drink menu at the Mai Kai. Wouldn't that make it qualify as a "tiki drink"?

What makes a drink a 'tiki drink'? Is it where it's served, where it started, what's in it, how much lime juice is in it? Is a Singapore Sling a tiki drink? There is nothing that makes it tiki other than it's in the Grog Log. Is a rum and coke a tiki drink? It has rum (arrrrrgh). If the Mai Kai put a Screwdriver on their menu, would it then be tiki? I don't have any idea what the guidelines are.

Hrm. I supposed you have a point there.

Trader Woody

I made ginger wine. I told her Mary Anne was prettier! :wink:

On 2004-10-29 09:58, finkdaddy wrote:

On 2004-10-29 09:49, Deery Luau wrote:

What makes a drink a 'tiki drink'? Is it where it's served, where it started, what's in it, how much lime juice is in it? Is a Singapore Sling a tiki drink? There is nothing that makes it tiki other than it's in the Grog Log. Is a rum and coke a tiki drink? It has rum (arrrrrgh). If the Mai Kai put a Screwdriver on their menu, would it then be tiki? I don't have any idea what the guidelines are.

...Is a martini a tiki drink if you serve it in a tiki mug with Martin Denny playing in the background?

Good points. Man, I haven't dealt with questions so profound since that graduate course in Existentialism- something about being vs. nothingness- nothing as important as this.

I guess I posted that it probably doesn't qualify as a tiki drink because there's no fruit juices (either citrus or otherwise)- but that's just an arbitrary measure. It makes for an interesting discussion, though- any opinions?

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-10-29 12:35 ]

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jul 25, 2005 5:32 PM

I don't know if this is new or not but I just picked up a Gosling's Dark'N Stormy "kit" at Winn-Dixie liquors. It's a boxed set of one .750ml bottle of Gosling's and two cans of Barritts Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer. I've been meaning to get some ginger beer so's I can try the Dark and Stormy. Gosling's went and made it easy for me! I will be trying it later this evening. :drink:

J

Trader Woody

Yes we do get Stone's Ginger Wine in the US - of course it's a little hard to come by. I have a Jamaican co-worker who absolutely loves the stuff and luckily I was able to buy her a bottle here and there as a thank you when we'd swap days or when she'd fill in for me. But sadly the liquor store that used to carry Stone's has discontinued stocking it because there wasn't much of a demand. That's also the same liquor store that has been trying to order me a couple bottles of Lemon Hart for a month now!

Oddly enough I saw the same set that Kono posted at a store this weekend and was tempted to pick it up. Now after hearing all the positive reviews of the Dark and Stormy I'm going back to get it on Saturday!

F

Could Cruzan Black Strap be an acceptable substitute for the Gossling's Black Seal Rum?

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2005 4:15 PM

On 2005-08-09 14:45, finkdaddy wrote:
Could Cruzan Black Strap be an acceptable substitute for the Gossling's Black Seal Rum?

I don't think you can sub Black Strap for anything except maybe for syrup for your pancakes. You can try it and it might be great (I really enjoy Black Strap) but it wouldn't taste like a Dark and Stormy. Black Strap has just such a unique taste.

J
JTD posted on Wed, Aug 10, 2005 5:13 AM

Finkdaddy,
The Cruzan is way, way more molasses-y than Gosling's. Myer's Dark is in the middle. I have not tried Myer's in a Dark 'n Stormy, though.

JTD

On 2005-08-10 05:13, JTD wrote:
I have not tried Myer's in a Dark 'n Stormy, though.

it's good. not as good as gosling's. but not bad.

Personally, I could not imagine anything but Gosling's in a Dark and Stormy, but I'm a traditionalist- your mileage may vary.

You guys were right, I bought a bottle of Gosling's last night and made a couple of Dark and Stormys and they were superb! (ok, I made four :blush: ) Even the wahine loved them. That Gosling's is the most gorgeous color when you hold it up to the light. Great stuff.

RD

A few years back the Dark and Stormy was my drink of choice. It's pretty amazing at how varied the taste can be and still be quite agreeable. Even if you follow the Goslings rule, you still have many different brands of ginger beer to choose from. Having a bit of a sweet tooth, I quickly went back over to ginger ale, but kept the lime and added a grated ginger step. I pour the ginger ale through the grated ginger to avoid "floaties". This gives the drink a nice tang while keeping the sweetness my wife and I enjoy. Seemed less sacrilegious than adding sugar syrup to ginger beer.

I've experimented with many dark rums for the stormy and eventually settled on Bacardi Select. A bit cheaper than Goslings and my unrefined palette couldn't tell much difference. Just lately my wife and I have been trying the blackstrap in the D&S. She likes it, I don't, too much conflicting character, like when I tried using spiced rum (that awful friggin Captain Morgan's Tattoo). I plan to revisit Goslings or, if it's available, perhaps try that Coruba stuff I've heard so much about. Damn good drink no matter how you mix it. Good to see it getting the Tiki stamp of approval despite it's Carribean heritage. Ginger- just exotic enough, eh?

-Joe

Dang, Kono! I somehow missed your earlier post (hope you're still checkin' this thread) on getting Goslings from Winn-Dixie! We, of course, never had Winn-Dixie Liquors around these parts but are now losing even the Grocery Stores (they've done a seriously poor job of keeping up with the competition in all markets) and I'm pretty bummed about it. Those are great stores. They have better cocktail related products (and even some decent glassware) than all the other stores in this area combined.
I sometimes make a Rum Milkshake using Hagen-Daas Pinapple Coconut Ice Cream and they're the only store in this market that carries it on a regular basis. I hope that, even though they're pulling out of this area (and a good many others) they're able to hang on.

RB

Finally got around to buying a bottle of Gosling's, and I'm headed out to pick up some ginger beer later to try my first D&S. A question, though...the recipes on this thread call for a LIME wedge, but the recipe on Gosling's web site calls for a LEMON wedge. http://www.blackseal.com/darkandstormy.htm

I'm going to use a lime, but I'm curious if anyone's used a lemon?

Thanks for the recipe link, RumBalls.

They have a recipe for Dark 'n Stormy Ice-Cream, too, but no mention of lime or lemon...guess that might curdle the cream? I just might have to give this a try!

UT

I've had this drink at many, many watering holes, usually in sailing harbor towns like Newport RI, and have never had it with lemon, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Personally, I generally prefer lime in drinks. I had a D & S in a NYC bar recently where they added some lime juice, not just a wedge- when I questioned it, the bartender showed me his mixology book that did, indeed, call for lime juice. I thought it was a bit too much lime.

Does anyone have access to the old Kelbo's food and drink recipes? I have been mourning the loss of those two great places for years!

k4e

S

I've only been to Otto's Shrunken Head once...and loved their "Stormy Skull"!
The menu describes it as dark rum, coconut & ginger, which begs the question:
Would the coconut come from coconut rum, or coco lopez?
Any thoughts?

peace,
Scottiki

F
foamy posted on Tue, Dec 20, 2005 2:06 AM

I don't know, but I've never had a Dark 'n Stormy that wasn't made with Gosling's. It might be interesting to see what else may work. As far as it being a "Tiki" drink, well, rum is Caribbean. I think (I could be wrong) this drink was first made in Bermuda, if not, then they made it their own. Is Bermuda even considered to be in the Caribbean? It's so out there all by itself. Anyway, I consider a Bahama mama a tiki drink (that's probably just me), so I'd throw a D'nS in there with Tiki drinks as well. You drink it out of a mug and as someone mentioned before, it's certainly a sailor's drink, that helps in "tikiness" doesn't it?. Dark'n Stormy has always been the drink when making port in Bermuda. Tradition. They are so good, and they will so hurt you. Also, they are not sensitive to ingredient ratios. That makes them dangerous, as you can make a perfectly acceptable D'nS while snookered.

[ Edited by: foamy 2005-12-20 05:01 ]

Trader Woody

Thanks Woody, I tried this last night and it's great

T

Has anyone tried Reed's Extra Ginger Brew? They sell it at Trader Joe's for $3.49/12 oz 4-pack. How does it compare with Cock & Bull?

http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/brews.html

Recipes with Reed's Ginger Brews

Dark and Stormy
2 ounces Rum (Light) over ice
4 ounces REED’S Ginger Brew
Squeeze of lime
Pour rum over ice in an old-fashioned glass and fill with REED’S Ginger Brew.

Moscow Mule
2 ounces Vodka over ice
8 ounces REED’S Ginger Brew
Squeeze of lime
Mix all ingredients in highball glass with ice.

Mexican Mule
1.5 oz gold tequila over ice
4.0 oz REED’S Extra Ginger Brew
Squeeze of lime
Mix in a rock’s glass.

M
moller posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 3:10 AM

I had some of the Reeds from TJ's. I was really disappointed with it - it seemed more like ginger ale than ginger beer.

Whole Foods stocks Ginger People Ginger Beer, which I find to be quite good.

To me the best ginger beer for a dark and stormy is D&G's Jamaican Ginger Beer, from Reggae Imports. It's become impossible to find as of late though.

At Mahiki they caramelise the slices of lime on the bar before they add them to the drink which is made with their home made ginger beer...mmmmm, so good.
To do this take the lime slices cover in sugar on a plate and pour on flaming overproof rum, keep turning the limes until they are caramelised and place whilst still flaming on top of the ice in your drink.

I wanted to try this. It's been pretty cold here in the land of sometime ice and snow and this seems like a perfect concoction for a cold night in front of the fireplace. I picked up a bottle of Goslings Black Seal. What about using Goya Ginger beer. I couldn't find an alcoholic ginger beer. Can't hurt to try the Goya right? I'll let you know.

Good question about what makes a drink "tiki", but of course I don't have the answer. I think it is just a fit when you have certain ingredients, maybe a recipe from a vintage cocktail book, a style of glass or served in a tiki mug, and if you have exotica playing in the background or a bamboo fountain bubbling while you sip your concoction....then claim it tiki at your longitude/latitude.
Ya got a tiki swizzle stick in it then that is a given. :drink:

On 2007-02-20 21:40, VampiressRN wrote:
Good question about what makes a drink "tiki", but of course I don't have the answer. I think it is just a fit when you have certain ingredients, maybe a recipe from a vintage cocktail book, a style of glass or served in a tiki mug, and if you have exotica playing in the background or a bamboo fountain bubbling while you sip your concoction....then claim it tiki at your longitude/latitude.
Ya got a tiki swizzle stick in it then that is a given. :drink:

I think what defines a Tiki drink is if it puts you in a Tiki state of mind. Its a personal thing. It is usually something like a Zombie, Scorpion, Mai Tai, Shrunken Skull, etc. But it could also be a Ti Punch, a Sea Breeze, or a White Russian. If a White Russian brings you back to the ones you drank on the beach in Costa Rica, then by God, a White Russian is a Tiki drink (after all, the Tiki-Ti has a Milky Way).

On 2007-02-20 20:57, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I wanted to try this. It's been pretty cold here in the land of sometime ice and snow and this seems like a perfect concoction for a cold night in front of the fireplace. I picked up a bottle of Goslings Black Seal. What about using Goya Ginger beer. I couldn't find an alcoholic ginger beer. Can't hurt to try the Goya right? I'll let you know.

You can just use non-alcoholic ginger beer in a Dark 'n Stormy. I must reiterate what a previous poster said...like with a Cuba Libre, don't go light on the lime squeeze. I squeeze at least a quarter lime in the drink. The lime juice balances the sweetness from the ginger beer, and heightens the sharpness and spice. Then the Gosling's hits and oh boy.

Hey, we just added a Dark & Stormy to our tiki bar drink menu. We use Barritts stone ginger beer from Bermuda & we serve it like this...
a shot & half of Goslings Black Seal rum over cracked ice in a short collins glass with a can of Barritts & a small bowl of lime wedges on the side. You tame the rum on your own.
Scott
Noa Noa Wood Grill Sushi & Tiki Bar

gotta have Baritts ginger beer

I have seen it and had from NY beverage in NYC - it moved from 94th street to the Bronx!

Also ABC big stores in FLA have it sometimes!

Goslings + Barrits + lime! (Yes they sell a kit with both in liquor type stores but the ginger beer usually runs out before rum - depending on the pour!)

Ottos does it wel and they do add cocnut.

Its also considered a sailor drink so salior = pirate = tiki?
http://www.regattagingerbeer.com/darknstormy.html

On 2007-03-28 18:42, rscottwoods wrote:
Hey, we just added a Dark & Stormy to our tiki bar drink menu. We use Barritts stone ginger beer from Bermuda & we serve it like this...
a shot & half of Goslings Black Seal rum over cracked ice in a short collins glass with a can of Barritts & a small bowl of lime wedges on the side. You tame the rum on your own.
Scott
Noa Noa Wood Grill Sushi & Tiki Bar

Wow, 30 different rums in northern Indiana (I read your location post). I'll definitely stop in next time I'm in the neighborhood.

A

Digging up an old thread - I've been reading a bit about the Dark 'n' Stormy. I see some recipes calling for simply garnishing the drink with a lime wedge, and others actually adding lime juice. From what I can tell, if you add lime juice you are actually creating a separate drink - a Rum Buck, aka Caribbean Mule. Bucks (spirit, citrus juice, ginger beer/ale) aren't on cocktail menus very often any more, except for a resurgence of interest in the Moscow Mule.

I made Dark & Stormy's day in and day out at work and folks seem to love them. Here's my recipe:
Because I don't care for Goslings at all I use Cruzan Blackstrap Rum. Cruzan is rich and makes a top shelf tasting Dark& Stormy.

16 oz. Tiki mug or pilsner glass add med. sized ice cubes or chip ice( trying to get bar or rest. size ice) the ice is important!
Fill the glass to the top with ice
2 oz. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
3/4 oz. Fresh squeezed Lime
Fill the glass to the top with Cock & Bull Ginger Beer
Give it a stir you want a dark & stormy as aerated as you can to bring out the spices, just don't over kill it though to the point of flat.
I add NO, No, No fresh Ginger or syrup beacuse a little Ginger goes a long way it's just too much.
Anyway try it :)

What makes a Tiki drink? Normally an icey rum and citrus based drink, preferably
served with some island evoking style, often on the sweet side...

Tiki is very unauthentic.. not many if any hard and fast rules. I would say if it brings to mind
tiki.. it is tiki. But.. that is just me. Tacky and Tiki just work so WELL together!!

I wanted to try a Dark & Stormy, but didn't have any ginger beer...

I did have ginger liqueur though (Giffard Ginger of the Indies), so I mixed up one part Giffard to 4 parts soda water and used that instead of ginger beer. It worked just fine.

When in doubt, add more alcohol.

CN

Tonight, I made a D&S with Maine Root ginger beer and Coruba rum. The beer is quite potent but it blends quite well with the rum. Black Seal is awfully overrated if you ask me.

R

On 2010-10-26 20:04, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
Tonight, I made a D&S with Maine Root ginger beer and Coruba rum. The beer is quite potent but it blends quite well with the rum. Black Seal is awfully overrated if you ask me.

That's a staple in our house too; the Maine Root Ginger Beer is so powerful that it almost burns your throat...but I dig it. Mixes very well with Coruba.

~Rupe

Pages: 1 2 47 replies