Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Desert House pics 12 and TreeHouse page 19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 422 replies

.....forgot the Pool Hut.

This was done a while ago. The door handles are from the Kahiki. The structure was original from Rock Hudson.
(I only can imagine what he used to keep in there!)

p.s. The (Tiki) Tree House might live after all. In the mountains near the Idlewild Tea Company............

(as if Amy is not busy enough with running Shelby....she now get's hooked on Tea!! :)

I wonder if she'll do a Tiki Tea??

P
Paipo posted on Mon, May 26, 2008 1:44 PM

I remember hearing about the treehouse waaay back...damn shame is hasn't happened (yet). Amy, you're a visionary! Hopefully you get some free time to pursue your carving again soon.
One thing that has always puzzled me with these structures - what happens when it rains? Or does it never rain out there?

Paipo, I live in the same desert as Amy (about 70 miles to the south) - it only rains once or twice a year here.

Amy and Ben, absolutely fantastic! I may have to steal that red ropelight trick. One of the things I like best about TC is that someone is always doing something wild, when I show things like this to my wife it makes my ideas look tame in comparison and then she lets me go for it :P

By the way Amy, "eccentric" is not a bad thing!

PS - I showed my wife, she thought it was cool but I don't think I can talk her into one.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to the point of wretched excess.

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2008-05-27 08:50 ]

Good God! I wish I had your incredible motivation. Great, unique, imaginative work.

TZ

More photos! I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I visit this thread.

I agree...it is like a fantasy. NICE!!!!

If my children will ever give me some grandkids, I want to build one as a treehouse (on a much smaller scale - more like a pirate dingy instead of a pirate ship :) )

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to the point of wretched excess.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-05-28 16:03 ]

"Tune Up"

Happening soon....

Keep an Eye out!

Hi All, Well a year and a half later and I think we finally are done with the Nazi committee. actually they are just responding to my crazy and very old neighbor. Last meeting is the 9th. In the last 16 months, I have planted 40 ficus trees to cover the walls hat border the yard, They have grown pretty tall and except for 4 feet the neighbor is blocked.

Ben is coming next Friday, I will touch up and finish the very low tree house that really looks like a dock, its quite nice. Ben will also add some cool new items as well. I am out of room for big stuff, but we have room for some nice extras :) I will post some photos soon. I hope to have a reopening of the yard this spring and I hope all who are available will come by and celebrate with us..

Amy

Amy, I always love pictures of your place and Bamboo Ben's magic - bring 'em on!

Unfortunately

Queen K's back yard is on a lava fault!!!

Hope it doesn't erupt!!!!

....or maybe......

News @ 11! ( or in a few weeks)

T

Hi Fellow Tikiphiles,

Just recently joined TC and was checking out this thread and ....WOW! super-freakin cool! As a tiki enthusiast and landscape architect, I have to say it doesn't get much better than this! Amy and Ben, what a team you two make, great work. When we LA's geek out in designer speak we talk about a "sense of place" and your backyard oasis definately has it!

Also, someone in this thread mentioned using an airstream trailer in the yard...There is a house in Wildwood, NJ that has done just that and it's awesome. They somehow got this trailer mounted up on a deck behind the house (about 5 or 6 feet up) and it's used as a sort of cabanna. I'll have to get a photo next time I'm down there.

Well, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, this was just too cool not to comment on :)

Thanks Tikimommy, do post some pictures and thanks for the kind word :)

RH

WHOA - it's a frickin' resort.

Due to F'in neighbor's who have nothing to do but sit around and complain

and not like tiki fun........

We have to cut the back of the bar out and move the bar wall 10' away from the

block wall. The bar itself will then have to be a straight bar instead of the

cool W shape it is now.

Arrrrrrr!!!

....but I think the next Lava Eruption will create something really cool in Amy's

yard and hopefully Swallow Up the Neighbor's for creating Bad Karma!!!!!!

Speaking of bad karma...the neighbor's beautiful desert view is soon going to be

the back of a

Giant Shopping Center!!

Ha Ha Ha!

F'in bad karma Anti Tiki Neighbor's!

Well, Ben was right after a long battle with the neighbors, we have to move the bar or cut it up, we have decided to try a very hard and risky move. All the lose items and decorations have been removed. It will be moved 4 1/2 feet total. Here is a picture of it hoisted on logs, this took a day to do, but to save the bar will be worth it. Today is the move, I will update hopefully after it is moved successfully. I am posting pictures of Ben's starting the new lava wall as well.

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-02-26 10:29 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-02-26 11:45 ]

A truly awesome response to a detestable situation! I wish "The Flying W" a happy and successful 4 1/2 foot voyage, and hope she sails well into a safe and untroubled port.

Best Cheers,
SOK

(ps: Um, does one break a bottle of champagne or rum across a moving bar's "bow"...? Perhaps the champagne before she sails, and the rum after she arrives? :) )

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-02-26 10:26 ]

F

I Love The "I love the fiftys" site!!getting a real education on NY!!
Mahalo nui Loa!!

"Frojos enchanted island" is wecoming guests now!

Aloha from hawaii!!

Frojo

M

Too cool.

What is supplying the moving force for the bar?

[ Edited by: Murph 2009-02-26 11:12 ]

Great feat of engineering skill! I'd be careful with the champagne, I saw what happened to Judge Smails on "Caddyshack"

Damn, that's a bummer.

Neighbor's are a pain in the ass most of the time.

That's why we have a fence now. :wink:

Good luck with the move!

Looks like quite the undertaking.

Those palm logs you're rolling on look perfect for tiki poles when you're finished with them!

Ugh!

30, 94 lb bags of cement.

60, 50 lb bags of sand.

4, 12 hour daze.

1, skinny Bamboo Ben feeling his age.

But, it's gonna look Awesome when it's done!!!

phase 2 next week.

Finishing Amy's Lava Flow and tuning up

some other stuff in Raymyland.

And, building another Tiki Room across the street

at Amy's son's pad, the "Shark Cove".

( wait till you see the size of the fish on the wall!!)

Keep an Eye out.

GT

Wow! Amy that is awesome, I never seen anything as cool as that on this site! The neighbors are just jealous! I'm jealous and I don't even live near you! Great work Ben

Thanks for all the kind words. The bar was moved successfully! so Ben will be back Monday to anchor it. I will post pictures in a few days.

Amy

Well, the bar has been moved and although it was a great deal of work and $$$ it was worth it. Ben did an amazing job on the lava wall and making the bar part of the wall, as it is now closer :) Here are pictures, hope you like them. I will try to take a side photo to show the new bar placement.a little more cleanup and we are ready

We need a party!

This is the new "dock" that Ben built that is above the lava wall and joins the big pond with his new water fall

side lava wall

The old island tiki-fied

The landing

the lava water fall with lights

All the furniture back on the bar, but not in place yet

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-03-06 17:59 ]

Amazing! thanks for sharing you little slice o' paradise!

What a crazy story about neighbors and bar moving and all that! the result is fantastic.

I love the dock - who carved the marquesian dock posts?

Queen K - great backyard!

Ben - Nice job!

On 2009-03-06 18:15, Polynesiac wrote:
Amazing! thanks for sharing you little slice o' paradise!

What a crazy story about neighbors and bar moving and all that! the result is fantastic.

I love the dock - who carved the marquesian dock posts?

Queen K - great backyard!

Ben - Nice job!

Thank you! Dave(basement kahuna) did the statues on the dock, we have matching on the bar as well.
Thanks again

amy

L

If I were your neighbor I would be bringing you pies and being as friendly as possible just so you would invite me over to hang out!

Love it all..esp the lava detail.

B

Woah!

K

I'll second that Woah! and add a DAYUMN!

Thanks for the nice comments, I hope to have it all done in the next week or so, just cleaned up and ready for a spring party, you will all be invited . Thanks again

Amy

WooHoo! Another Masterpiece by Bamboo Ben the "The World's Foremost Tiki Room Designer" :) Amy you are so lucky to live in such a Paradise :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2009-03-07 11:53 ]

AMAZING!
great work you two!

This thread is very difficult to watch without drooling on the keyboard.
Just a very special place you have.
I'm surprised Ben hasn't installed a Budweiser tap in the bar yet. :)
Gongrats Amy!

On 2009-03-07 12:18, Unga Bunga wrote:
This thread is very difficult to watch without drooling on the keyboard.
Just a very special place you have.
I'm surprised Ben hasn't installed a Budweiser tap in the bar yet. :)
Gongrats Amy!

There's a "Tap" on the Island.

On 2009-02-26 11:12, Murph wrote:
Too cool.

Mexican Engineering.

Benny the landscaper did it.

Landscaping logs and a come-a-long.

Blew me away!!

Benny is a hero in my book!

He left a lot of palm logs behind.

Carving party?

Thanks Woo Hoo!, LLtiki and Unga! I appreciate it! It's been a long time and I wasn't sure the guys could move it and save it, but they did, it was amazing! And Bamboo Ben is just the best, everything he does is amazing!

Congrats woohoo on your engagement too!!!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-03-08 10:33 ]

RH

Monstrous!!!

B

wow!what a cool place!i cant believe some one
would complain about that
you should have invited him over when
you were mixing up all that cement and !!!!!!!
glad it all worked out

C

Looking spectacular!

Phase 1 done at the "Shark Cove".

Phase 2...week afer next.

Good stuff!

You'll all dig it the most....

On 2009-03-07 19:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2009-02-26 11:12, Murph wrote:
Too cool.

Mexican Engineering.

Benny the landscaper did it.

Landscaping logs and a come-a-long.

Blew me away!!

Benny is a hero in my book!

He left a lot of palm logs behind.

Carving party?

Haa Ben actually the correct term is MEXICANEERING tm. patent pending,,,,,,,, . That is how Tiki Tony and I used to work together get our monster logs back in the day.

Yard looks great Ben and Amy. Like a little " The TIKIS".

Yippy!

Just got word that the inspector passed the yard

and is coming to the next party!

( F@%k the neighbors!!!! I'm working LOUD from now on!)

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.