Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clarita's experiments

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies

C

Thanks seeksurf!
I'm making ice blue Tormento pendants, for them to introduce with their new album.

B

WOW, Clarita, I LOVE your Enthusiasm, It really shows in your works. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The pendant is smokin'... That color is hypnotiq~

B

SWEET! The ice blue color makes it look like it could be a highly polished stone. The Tormentos are going to love those!

Go, Girl! :)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 5:45 PM

It looks like Lapis Lazuli....very nice!
I mentioned it in my thread too, but I had to move Hoku Ili back into my workshop cause the sun was making him go urine yellow! I only recently noticed how he looks a lot like some of the two-faced classical Marquesan pieces...and the controlled depth you put into the modelling is a joy to behold when he's lit up. Now please make some more stuff!

H
harro posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 7:15 PM

Love the pendant Clarita!! When are the tormentos releasing a new album? great idea to give out the pendants too.

S

What a great little guy. He looks like he might also glow in the
dark?

C

Thanks Benz! I get what you mean :D
Thanks Freddie! I've made some other color as well
Thanks Bowana! you are my rock, Higly polished :)
Thanks Paipo!
It looks like Lapis Lazuli....very nice!
Oh I think you just like me a lot :) thanks!
Hoku went urine yellow?! are you sure it was the sun and not your other activities :D!
Thanks Tim, they are releasing their new album the 24 of may, so I've being using the last warm days we have to try to make a lot, now is so chilly is very hard to work with resin..
Thanks seeksurf, no he is not glow in the dark, and Billy either, he has a little candle inside that make him glow

Here are some of the color I've made

And i'm starting a new crazy project, where I'm going to try to turn the original Tormento candle desing in to plaster mold material, to make a mug
This is the candle design

So a melted plasticine and pore it in to the mold i have and started working on it
this is just started

I have progresses for there some more
I know Babalu is not going to be proud of me working in plasticine instead of clay, but i wanted to have all the time to work on it with out having to be worried about it drying to much...
The thing is that the plasticine I'm using is to soft, so i'm thinking i'm going to have trouble taking the plaster mold later. I was planning on varnishing it to make it more resistant but Bowana save me from that telling me it was going to stick to the plaster!an less a apply some soap or release on it...
So, I'm not planing on making a limited edition, because this would be for a bar here that has the Tormento drink, and for the tormentos to use too for their press kits and such. so what I'm thinking is that I'm going to varnish it, and take a silicon mold, so i can make a plaster copie from that (and be able to make all the copies to use as master, I could need in time) and from the plaster copy try to make the plaster mold, and if i break it, i wouldn't loose the master I could just make an other...
This is going to be a long journey for me, we'll see how all this go...
Wish me luck please, and any tips would be very much appreciated :)
Thanks for looking!

Tiki Candle Maker

[ Edited by: Clarita 2008-04-14 11:35 ]

H
harro posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 2:31 PM

Well the mob asked for it, and now you are doing it!! Clarita mugs!!! :) I'm sure you will do a great job and I can't wait to drink a Tormento out of one at Mundo Bizarro!

And those pendants look so tasty I could chew into one right now!

Suerte!

B

Looking good, Clarita! It looks like you will soon be venturing into the exciting and sometimes unpredictable world known as Moldland! Huzzah! :)

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: Bowana 2008-04-15 08:53 ]

B

Hey Kiddo,

I'm very proud of you for giving that oil based clay a go! I think that it is really fun to work with, and I think you will be able to get way more fine detail with it than you will with water based clays.

Bowana and I have talked about starting a thread (a tag team effort) showing how we made past plaster molds. Bowana is really the master mold maker and has taught me a great deal on the process. I did a fairly good picture documentation on the molds we built at one of the Chops. I have a little time right now while I'm on this road trip in the mornings, and have the pictures in my laptop. I will see if I can start something up in the "other crafts area" a little later on and as the week progresses. It may take several posts to get all of the pictures out that I have, but it should be fun. I'm sure Bowana will want to add pictures and information as I post as well.

There have been a several folks out there that have asked both of us if we could share this information, and we would be more than happy to help others out if we can.

Stay tuned...

Great start on this one Clarita!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-04-15 17:13 ]

Looking great! If i could crab them Id try and eat them
they look like candy or gummy bears.

Positive Vibration back to your work Clarita.

B

Looking fantastic, Clarita !
Those new pieces looks very beautiful.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Awesome Stuff Girl, Where are you getting the Inspiration for all this great Stuff? Keep'em coming!

C

Thanks Harro! you are always hungry, aren't you? :D! You should post a pic of you in your fancy working place so people can see, how little is for you, hahaha!
I can't promise to finish the mug before you leave, is a complicated proses... anyway I hope so...

Thanks Bowana! I couldn't do it with out you, thanks for all the great tips, you are a real pro!!

Thanks Babalu! this thread about plaster mold making is saving me from doing a lot of stuff wrong, great timing my friend!!

Thanks seeksurf! don't eat the pendants!! your belly will hurt for weeks! Thanks for the good vibrations I appreciate them a lot!

Thanks Benella, is great to hear from you! we are waiting for the feet guy, what have you being up to?

Thanks Benz! i'm taking the inspiration from TC definitely, the pendants were Bowana's idea, and the clear resin I'm using is the one you can find here, because we don't have the one you use there. And the mug I'm trying to make is because TCers are telling me from the begining i should try mt luck at it. I hope I can pull it of... I'm not sure about that...

...Well this is how is looking so far

I didn't work to much on it yet because I've being making a ton of pendants (250 so far) to have stock for a long time, because this resin needs sun to cure, and we are entering winter soon, so I've being using all the sunny days to make them...
I've made a lot of crazy colors

Bad pic as always, but you can see a little the tones I've being making...
Thanks for looking!

B

Let's see here, I'll take a red one, a blue one, a yellow one, a purple one, a green one, that one that's yellow-green, that one that's sort of yellow-green but not as yellow-green as that other one, the one that's almost black but sorta blue, the one next to it that's sorta blue but almost black, the one that's ice blue, the one that's arctic blue (not to be confused with ice blue)........ :)

Clarita those are wonderful! i would have to have all the greenish ones. and a couple red/orange ones. well, the blues definately rock, too. can't wait to see the mug evolve!

C

Thanks Bowana you are sweet!
Thanks greentikipat I appreciated it!

This is how it ended up looking like

I've started the silicon mold now...

B

WOW Clarita, These guys are Looking GREAT!
I'm with the other guys, I'll have one of each color and Size, and,, and,and

C

:)! Thanks Benz! you are so kind!
Well I've made the plaster mold for the mug

And took a few copies, this is how they look like after a lot of cleaning

I did all this following the instructions on this thread
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28065&forum=18&53
And I've made the masters for Hoku ili and Mr. Fuego pendants

Hope you like :)!

S

Very cool Clarita, how do i get my own.
Where do you sell this little gems?

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 29, 2008 3:14 PM

Fun stuff. GROG like.

C

Thanks Seeksurf and GROGIE! Very glad you like :)!
I don't know about the selling part right now, but I'll keep you posted...

H
harro posted on Fri, May 30, 2008 1:16 PM

Hey Clarita they look great!!! :)

Will I be able to drink a Tormento Pepper pot out of a Tormento mug before I leave?? Somehow I think its a bit soon :(

B

YES, Yes we Like, Post More and More Often.
AND Visit my thread more often and offer more rounds, I'm Thirsty! :lol: :lol: :lol:

C

Thanks Harro & Benz !
Here you can see the Tikis with LED lights in them, now you can light them inside the box if you want too! :D

This are the ones that are hollow inside, they are made of paraffin wax, I'm thinking maybe I could make them out of resin, but I like the paraffin look better, I don't know, I have to keep experimenting... Hope you like :)

B

Clarita, these are Really Great! What are you using for the led's?+

C

Thanks Benz! I'm using just one LED, and it works nice with 2 batteries, I'm using the AA ones

B

Be careful posting such cool pictures, Clarita. I may be forced to go back on my word and hijack your thread with another chapter in "The Utterly Fantastic And Totally Unbelievable Adventures Of Hoku Ili" :)

¡Buen trabajo, Amiga! ¡Me gustan!

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: bowana 2008-08-06 10:50 ]

S

Wow i love these the little box and the light with
the colors COOL!

C

Thanks guys!!
One more

Whoah! Clarita, I finally went through your thread. Super cool. Lotsa talent, and such unique stuff. Cool Cool Cool.
Also dug your choice of music on your myspace page, Cranky Frankie of the Fathoms...They play around here, c'mon on up and see 'em!

Hey Clarita. I took a look at your myspace and the candles are fantastic.
Are you selling the them?
I loved the background music too.
Great surf. Gotta go and find some records of the band.

'''el Stingray'''

yeah great candles! and i did too enjoy the music , great balance

C

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the support!
Yes Cranky Franky and The Fathoms, What a clear amazing sound they have, hm? I just couldn't believe it! I would love to hear that live, for sure!

Here, ya gotta watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyrZPYlY3c
this is at a club right down the road, on the beach, right in the dunes. Phenomenal place, called the beachcomber. My band has played here too.
Another good surf band is Ray Corvair Trio. Only thing I could find on you-tube was this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waavZI5lZkA
But you have to sit through 2 minutes of a soap opera to see it.
Anyway, enjoy!

C

Oh thanks! Really nice! I'm a fan of the Fathoms yes!!
and Ray Corvair Trio, super nice too! (what a weird soap... it turned into something more like twin picks with the band :)! ) are they from there too?

I've been playing with the resin casting and the leds... Total new feel, but very interesting too.
But is too transparent for some stuff.
Does somebody knows of something I could add to the resin to make it a little more opaque not too much just a little?
for example trying to put the light in this one

I had to put the led facing back, because you can see it to much if not.I was wondering if I can turn it a little less clear....

B

OR% maybe use a dimmer led? Looks cool tho

P

add a product called thermalite. it's real similar to talc.

C

Thanks Benz! Yes that's a good idea! (don't send the head, don't send the head!) :)!

Thanks pdrake! Yes I was asking about something like that, I don't know if I can find any around here (little detail) but thanks a lot anyway!!

C

Hi everyone, long time since my last post, i know...
But today is my two years anniversary on TC :D !! and I have to say it has been great! I've meet the coolest people here! so I want to thank TC for so much joy!
And to celebrate, I want to introduce Resin Taka With Led, my new experiment :)

Very bad pics as always.... sorry!! the real glow would be something in between the first and the second.... :D!

B

TWO Years? Way to go girl! Man I really have to give you Lots of credit, when you came here you were just a Wild Party girl,(remember thise daze? :lol: )Look HOW far you've come in JUST Two years Congrats.
HappyHappyHappy

B

Bad pix, bad pix, I already saw worth :lol: But the resins are pretty cool in their wonderful boxes.
Hats off,

Benjamin.

B

The pictures might not be the very best, but the idea still shines through. :)

They look a little like Tiki Ghosties! :o

C

Thanks Benz! Yes now I have some more tikis and I don't go out any more.... :D!
Thank Benjamin! always nice to here from you!
Thanks Bowana my friend, you are so kind!!
Sorry again for the bad pics, I didn't get any better on that :)!

S

Nice Nice Nice! Love the little box.

Resin taka looks great Clarita!
All of the LED's look all bright and happy!
Speaking of Happy...
Happy 2 years little Missy!
Looking forward to many future years
of seeing the art you will create!

Happy 2 years!
Good looking stuff as usual...'cept the blurry pics! C'MON, 2 years of practice!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies