Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clarita's experiments

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies

T

On 2010-02-18 09:24, Clarita wrote:
TheBigT Thanks! I wish I could grow bamboo :) I live in the middle of the city (it's like living in new york for you to imagine), i don't even have soil.. the plants you see are on pots, I try to make the pics look like if it were a jungle, but is all an optical effect :)
I buy the bamboo in a market we have here called 'mercado de frutos de Tigre' it's next to a river, it's a place were you can buy fruits and hand made objects, some art, and stuff, there are a few places that sell bamboo there, at some point i've discovered this kind and loved it. I'm not sure if it comes from that river (Rio de la Plata) or they bring it from the north of Argentina were it is a lot more tropical than here.

Oh ok. It does look like you live in the jungle! Haha. Good job on gardening!

C

Haha Thanks ThebigT

Here's #6, This one I've made for my friends Marcela & Tim Harro wedding, that was this past Friday. It was thee most fun wedding I've ever been to, the bride was gorgeous, the groom was very happy. Both their families came from far, his from Australia and hers from Corrientes that is a state here in Argentina, at that state people really know how to have fun, well and you know that Australians are known for their booze resistance, but honestly I think the Correntinos proved they are the kings of parties.The party started at 10pm and went on and on until 6am the next day, a lot of food and a lot of love, people were dancing like crazy all over the place, they both have the coolest families ever! I know they are going to be very happy, they are an incredible couple, both very intelligent, fun and most of all very good people. And they love each other very much.

With all the excitement I forgot to take pictures of the Tiki I've made for them, so I took some cellphone ones at the party...

There it says Marce & Tim
Wishing them the best

Aloha to you all!

S

Nice! Love how the lines all flow together.

very very sweeeeeett!! i agree the lines and desighn are top notch and the carvin clean and beautiful w amazing colors this is realy cool stuff!!! cheerz!!

T

Love the colors the design is perfect.

L
laojia posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 8:42 PM

Another magical piece, love the spiral eye patern...

J.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 5:44 PM

Great work Clarita :D

B

CLARITA!!!
More Beautiful Bamboo Art from our Bamboo Queen, You have really given the Bamboo World a whole new life and I'm sure many people are seeing bamboo in a whole new light.
If I get married are you gonna make me a Bamboo Remembrance?? Sounds like a big fun party where you all had too much fun.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 3:27 AM

Good stuff. GROG like.

C

Hey seeksurf thanks! I miss your posts, what's going on with you? glad to see you around.

Cheers BIG tiki scott thank you a bunch!

tikigodz thanks! Your table turned out great I like it a lot.

laojia Merci, is always a pleasure to hear from you.

hewey Hi! Welcome back, glad to see you around again too.

Benzart Thank you so much, I wait for your comments like if they were the reason I carve, maybe they are not the only reason but.. Thank you so much.
If you get married (and invite me) I would totally carve something for you, don't tell anybody but, specially if you've carved an awesome Ku for me before that, just because I found the log for you :wink:, remember this guy?

fabulous hm? I don't know if my carve is enough to thank him and as wedding gift too, but I did my best...

Thanks GROG I'm always happy when you stop by :)

[ Edited by: Clarita 2010-03-13 17:39 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 14, 2010 6:00 PM

This thread is a shining beacon of what good Poly Pop tikis should look like. Not only original in conception and crisp in execution, but also the challenge of the material...using the basic building unit of the tiki bar itself. The latest one is a stunner Clarita! Congrats to Harro too!

I have been listening to one of your compatriots lately (a lot) and wondered if you are familiar with this guy?
http://www.myspace.com/kingcoya
I'm sure cumbia is well-known to you, but it is something I have only recently discovered (and now I can't get enough of it!) If you listen to the track "Villadonde" you will even hear a little bit of Aotearoa...there are some very cool Maori vocals in the mix. Argentina meets Polynesia...just like your work!

Yup, Paipo put it perfectly. You are an original. Beautiful work.

Clarita rules with the 'boo. Really like everything you have been knocking
out...even the cellphone photo looks "atmospheric." Whatever that is supposed
to mean :)

B

YES, Cool, I remember that one Clarita... I'm Already married though some 26 years ago though and if I Ever get married again I Think you'll be there!

love the spirals on the cheeks of #6
Every single one of your BOO babies has such charm and happiness!
Clarita Rocks like Led Zeppelin used to Rock!

C

Hi Paipo thanks so much for acknowledging my work, i'm so glad to hear about you, I was sad you wasn't around any more. mostly because if YOU give up, being the king of TC (everybody loves you and your work) what reason should I have to keep going?... I doubt about what the hell am I doing carving tikis more or less often...I do my best and I feel my work is authentic about it representing me, I try to bring something to the table, but I'm so far from the real thing, I have nothing to do with anything, really, that... well ... I'm very happy you are there again...

About the cumbia is not my thing, I'm more of a rock kind of lady, but I sure like talking about music so I did some investigation for you.
the style of music of this guy 'king coya' is almost not cumbia, the only thing cumbia about it, is the beat. the guy name is gaby kerpel he is a very fancy musician he mixes electronic music with 'tribal' sounds or 'latin music' the most, he made the music for 'la organizacion negra', 'de la guarda' and 'fuerza bruta' that are very outside of the box kind of interactive theater, mostly based on sensations more than words, the actors fly around and pic people of the audience and make them fly too, it's hard to explain.
the real 'cumbia' comes from colombia is a derivation of the 'ballenato' that is similar but more sad. here there are some 'cumbia' but as there is rock or blues, it isn't from here really. the truth is that argentina is not a very 'latin' country because what we know as 'latin' is the tropical music, like the 'rancheras' from mexico, 'cumbia' from colombia, 'son' from cuba etc..
here we have 'tango','milonga', 'chacarera','musica andina', etc is a more sad kind of music..
you can listen to the music for fuerza bruta here
http://www.fuerzabruta.net/website/fuerza_eng.html
maybe what you like is this guy style more than real 'cumbia' i don't know..

surfintiki thanks so much, it feels weird to be an 'original' but i can't help it, it wouldn't be me if i try to do somehting else, but i don't want to disrespect anybody so i often doubt if i should be posting here or not. as long as theres people like you that support me and appreciate what i do, i'll be around, so it means a lot to me, thank you very much for your support and kindness.

congatiki thank you very much! i'm sorry about your ribs, i hope they don't keep you to long from creating your wonderful art, i love to see your posts.

Benzart I know you are married to a wonderful gal, but you can re marry her and invite me! :)
just kidding, love you guys, hope you are ok.

little lost tiki led zeppelin? wow what an honor! i feel very very very honored thanks!!

T

i louv your detail C
deeinitly something to aspire too!

C

Thankyou very much tikigodz!

Here's #7 the protector of the sun
The symbol he has in the middle it's how, according to the jaussen list, you say sun or raa in rongorongo. you can read about it here
http://www.netaxs.com/~trance/rongo2.html

Much Aloha Tiki friends

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2010 2:01 PM

Hooray!! - a new Clarita carving!!

The protector of the sun...now that's beautiful. Thanks for posting :)

S

Mmmum yes! Wow love the color and the symbols very classy work.

i love looking at your work clarita.....you have a definate style of your own and a great eye for design. keep up the great work

C

Nice work Clarita, you are really defining a style with these. The
last one is my favorite...till the next one :)

L
laojia posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2010 9:04 PM

On 2010-04-05 13:41, Clarita wrote:

Unique and very pretty! (It's almost a habit) :wink:

Thank's for the link...

J.

B

Clarita, I Love how you put so much of yourself into these pieces, they are just SO Nice and Warm Feeling. Excellent carvings.

Great work! I have not seen a single carving that I did not like.

A
amate posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 3:43 PM

Inspired work. I am now convinced that you have Akuaku living in your garden and influencing your work. I absolutely love the sun glyph and, by the way, that site you linked to is great. I have been there many, many times.

T

THE DETAIL IS AMAZING!!!!

Rongorongorongorongorongo.
awesomeawesomeawesomeawesome

C

Hey TikiG thanks you for your support, very glad you find it beautiful.

seeks, classy? thanks I'm honored.

Creative Chimp thank you very much!

congatiki thank you a bunch I'm honored you think so.

laojia merci I apprecite your comments always, thanks for being around.

Benzart Thanks SO much, as Terry Urban says (a NZ jade carver i've met over facebook trhu Tama and Paipo) 'i'm carving my little heart out' (i love that phrase of him). It's an honor you see me in what I do, even we've never met, that has to be something important... I totally see you on yours that for sure, so i guess i'm extra happy to be able to join that club :)

Thanks Atomic Tiki Punk!

Thank you very much amate very glad you think so and that you like.

Thanks tikigodz :)

surfin surfin surfin thank you thank you thank you :) :) :)!!

T6

Excellent carving job(s). I wish all the bamboo in and around by tiki bar looked this great. Your designs are well thought out and always a joy to see the end result. :)

Aloha
Tiki 65

C

Thank you very much tiki 65.

#8 The protector of the sea

I tought the first pic with the plant, make him look more like a reptile, so I've took this pic from internet of a Hawaiian beach and did this photoshop, to make him look more at his element...

Much aloha TC, wishing the best to each one of you.

S

Fabulous! you are getting very creative. Love the theme and many symbols.

T

diggin the new guy ! Getting crazy with the background info will def set u apart!

Looks great! you are just cranking out superior work.

T

Clarita - beautiful carve.... what tools do you use to carve the bamboo?

Peace,
Jason <

Clarita, absolutely beautiful. Nice Photoshop job too :)

C

More great work Clarita.....just like we expect. Your designs are
always fresh and fun.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, May 4, 2010 1:32 PM

As above - great new work, Clarita.

Loving the many symbols and oceanic themes / mirrored elements / yin-yang styling.
My favorite details are the eyes...suns with sun-rays. Very very nice.

Thanks for posting. G

H
harro posted on Fri, May 7, 2010 6:02 AM

Ah Clarita, I didn’t see that you had posted a note about our wedding!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the night. It was all a bit of blur for me really! I’ll post some pics of the tiki bowls etc in another thread sometime soon… and of course your gift!!! It is my favourite of all, its really so beautiful to look at and admire, absolutely amazing that you can get such definition and style into a simple piece of bamboo!! Even though your cell phone pics look great, it doesn’t do the piece justice. When we get settled ill post some more pictures of this beauty up here. We both love it so much and will always appreciate the effort and love you put into making it for us. You really do “carve your little heart out”!! Thanks again!! Muchas gracias, besos

H
harro posted on Fri, May 7, 2010 6:03 AM

oh and the new piece is off the hook as well!!!!
You just keep getting better!!

B

Clarita, love the Protector,, here you go Outdoing yourself again. These guys are getting SO Fantastic, where will it end?? You need a 6 foot bamboo log about 16 inches in Diameter! Can't wait.
Maybe you should do a couple in hard wood too? Although I don't knoe, you sorta OWN the Bamboo carvings???? :o

C

Aloha Tiki friends, sorry for the delay, this has been very weird year, so far, in my opinion...

seeksurf thank you very much sir, glad you like.

tikigodz thanks, glad you like the crazy background :) i'm running out of plants too, so I may be using this resource, i sure would prefer to be able to fly to Hawaii and take pics there but, this is a lot cheaper ...

Atomic Tiki Punk thanks!

TikiDaye thanks. I'm using this two

and I cut them with a hand saw (not the power tool)

MadDogMike thank you very much.

congatiki thanks, very glad you like.

TikiG thank you, I like your interpretation :)

harro thanks, I'm happy that you guys like your weeding Tiki, I was a little worried you were going to forget him at the party :D

Benzart thank you very much chief.

C

#9 posing next to, two paintings by my mother Alice
I love love love her mind, style, energy, soul, personality, etc. she is such a wonderful and inspiring person (drool), that I wanted to share some of her magic here with you :)
We are slowly taking pictures of all her art to open a facebook soon. Hope you enjoy the family combo.

I'm a little down lately, a lot of bad news, but I still believe in art, friends, and the magic that can come for those things, honestly that's all life is about for me... so I want to thank all the people around here that make me smile so often with their support and wonderful art, much much Aloha to you all.

[ Edited by: Clarita 2010-07-10 14:27 ]

Just top notch Clarita! so much skill in your work.

Beautiful Clarita! I love the stained vs unstained areas. Beautiful art by your mother too, I guess it runs in the family. Keep smiling Little Clara, I hope things get better for you :)

Missed you around here Clarita, great to see another of your
creations. Looking forward to seeing more of your mom's art
too. Your bamboo carvings are all wonderful.

B

Clarita, I Love your mom;s art And the fact that you so lovingly posted it for us to enjoy. I see the apple did not fall far from the tree and you get your artistic skills honestly.
Hate hearing you getting so much bad news, but you are doing the right thing,,Working it out on the bench. For me, art keeps me sane, not just my art, but that of my friends and other artists too, including yours. Keep things together, keep hanging on cause we love'Ya!

NO! No more bad news for Clarita. There. I just declared it. Wishing much good mana your way...well, MORE than my usual!
Great new piece, it looks like Daddy o' Grande, from the Los Straightjackets! It's funny, I just carved a piece recently (didn't post), that came out looking like him too! That's kinda cool!!
We see where you get your artistic talents from now. My mom's a painter too...can't get her to paint anything tiki though!!
Good to hear from ya
Aloha
Dave

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies