Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clarita's experiments

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies

These are so cool Clarita! Quirky and unique stuff! Great work there....

Man! Those guys are SUPERB! I really have to say, your creativity on your designs are GREAT! Where do you come up with these!!

C

Thanks little lost tiki! :)

Thanks seeksurf! I don't know what we would do with out Benzart as guide

Thank you very much congatiki, next, two more bamboo guys that complete the band, congrats on your first double post, TC was lazy that day I couldn't see anything for some hours :)

Thanks big daddy!

Merci benella glad It looks good from there!!

Merci laojia! I agree this one it's much more complex. My fingers and arms think so too, ouch! :)

Thanks Benzart! Oh i've been messing up this one.... I broke one of his eyes, then glue it back together... it doesn't show. and I've found bubbles inside the bamboo on one of the legs, so the texture I was making suddenly had a big hole in it. So I filled it with wood chips and glue trying to imitate the texture... It ended up looking fine... and finally I had some accidents on the parts I wanted to leave untouched , so i had to peal parts i didn't wanted to... so I tought it was ruined a couple of times on the way, but now I think he is looking good :)
Stone? of course I would LOVE to! but for that you need some serious tools so, I don't know....

Thanks Sam, Very glad you like!

Thank surfintiki!! Where do I come up with this stuff? well, everything has to do with everything in my case, I mean my "Tikis" are very me, a mix of all the stuff I like (I grew up watching cartoons, then studied hand made animation, so I like simple strong colorful characters a lot. and i like music a lot too so those are my two biggest influences I think) and the way I am (weird, rebel, honest....) to me the tiki culture has music in it, if you get what I mean. and the other thing is that I don't like designing first and then carving or using anything as reference, I like to go with the flow of the material and surprising myself with the result...

But in this case I'm drawing the general lines and then carving and changing it on the way, I already draw the other two guys but who knows how they are going to end up looking like :)
Thanks again everybody, your support means a lot to me, really!

B

Hey Clarita,

I just saw this guy...that texture looks very nice...very nice indeed. Keep carving lady; you have a special gift.

C

Thanks Babalu! :)

A couple of days ago a big ficus tree was cut down on the corner of my house, so a manage to score 5 big brunches. Happy, happy.

I've been looking around TC to find out, for how long and how, to cure them, but I'm still not sure, specially because the weather here it's very damp, cold on autumn and winter, and very hot on spring and summer. should I seal the cuts? should I debark them? or because here is damp I better not?

any help would be appreciated.

B

Clarita, Excellent way to recover from mistakes and weaknesses in the wood. Anytime you have to recover and work yourself out of those corners it Always makes that piece stand out above the others. I'm Proud of you for not giving up on him!
Here when I have had ficus, it never needed any drying time, I could carve it fresh and it would rarely check(crack) very much, so Jump right in, and show us the piccies?

B

Hey Lady, Back to work, no hiding in the Bamboo stand!

C

:D! Thanks Benz for answering the question about the logs, and for being such a generous friend! so you've asked for it, you've got it, here is my prove I wasn't slacking

This one was painful to make, it's the thinnest and most dry so far, but anyway there he is finally, one more to go and the drummers band it's going to be done :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 12, 2009 9:56 AM

Very clean lines. Nice job.

sweet job clarita. i can't wait to see the band together.

bd

very nice Clarita! unusual and cool!

WHAT A ROCKIN BAND SO FAR!
Go Clarita!

B

He's a tall one! Is he wearing a beret?
Your carving style has a nice positive space/negative space feel to it. Buen trabajo!
(I see that your PhotoShop skills have improved too)
:)

Bowie

Beautiful work Clarita. Maybe you've already done and/or shown this, but can you light these from behind and use them as a sconce?

Wonderful Clarita!

Love the textures!

I think you've found your specialty!

Very RAD .

B

Beautiful stuff Clarita, I Knew you were down there working, I just Knew it! Perfect, precise lines as usual,Very nice work.
Have you tried internal lighting on these, I'll bet they would give off a nice glow?

H

AWESOME! They are GREAT!!!!!

L

Very nice stuff Clarita! I like the fine cut of the palm tree. how is sound this drummers band?

JT

Digging the Bamboo work!! Nice stuff!!
-Johnny B.

[ Edited by: jab tiki 2009-05-14 23:59 ]

Great work your on fire with this bamboo.

C

thankyou very much!! GROG, big daddy, QK, little lost tiki, Lake Surfer, tyger jymmy, Howland, jab tiki and seeksurf.

Bowana, MadDogMike, Benzo and laojia, this are drums, the beret bowana was asking about it's the leader top they have, I took it out to work more comfortable, I was planning to put them back on ones I'm done carving. but the truth is, that I've lost one of this leader pieces, so the idea of turning this bamboo carvings in to sconces or some sort of light, like a night stand could be interesting. specially because, as laojia is suspecting, they don't sound as they should, after cutting out parts of them all the way thru... but I also like that they aren't technological at all, opposite to the stuff I did before, i like the feeling they have as drums, so I'm not sure what i'm going to do with them once i'm done carving, we'll see... stay tuned :)

thanks again, big smile here.

My Space

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-05-17 10:43 ]

M
mp posted on Sun, May 17, 2009 10:59 AM

Clarita, Just found your thread, Its all beautiful.
Excellent work. Thanks for saying hi on my thread I
appreciate it. MP

On 2009-05-12 09:31, Clarita wrote:
:D! Thanks Benz for answering the question about the logs, and for being such a generous friend! so you've asked for it, you've got it, here is my prove I wasn't slacking

This one was painful to make, it's the thinnest and most dry so far, but anyway there he is finally, one more to go and the drummers band it's going to be done :)

WoW, spectacular! I can picture those ANYWHERE, Bars, restaurants, houses (mine!), surf shops,...you're on to something there!

C

Thank you MP I appreciate it too
Thanks surfintiki :)

Here is the fourth guy

and finally, a band pic :)

They are all signed

Aloha to you all!

Very cool Clarita, great work. You have quite a nice little band of
drummers down there.

S

Love these guys truly one of a kind. Great Work!

THREE CHEERS FOR THE BAND!
Great group of carves,my dear!

I must be dense! Just now, after seeing the Band photo, I noticed that these little bamboo guys are actually Drummers Drumming Drum Drums. Nice!

B

Woah, Clarita, Awesome stuff. Love the signature, Love the headbands they are all wearing, Love the Shorty's Eyes, and the overall detail on the whole group is Sharp and Crisp! I KNEW you would be a Killer Wood Carver some day and it Looks as if I was Right!
You Go Girl!!

F
Fugu posted on Thu, Jun 18, 2009 7:43 PM

Clarita,

Your drummers turned out so well! They are very cute and you did a great job on them.

B

Wow, those are pretty cool!
THE DRUMS! THE DRUMS!

L

WOW! impressive band of drumer/brother.

I like the work on the mouth of the last, and my favorite is this one with spiral/koru eyes.
When will we hear this band play? In your myspace?

J.

P

Clever idea and beautifully executed. I like these guys a lot! Still diggin my Hoku Ili too, I look at him all the time and marvel at the coolness. Need to light him up again soon I think....

S
squid posted on Sat, Jun 20, 2009 1:58 AM

Wooooo!! Clarita! I dig the drums! If you make any more, I know a certain Tikiyaki that would love to have them :) It's actually very hard to find those bamboo drums here (boo-bams).

All the TC girls rule!!!

Sorry I haven't visited for awhile.

squid

T

Clarita is carving now!
I can almost hear these guys. Now awy to the bandstand.
Beautiful drumset. Is it still playable?

C

Thanks congatiki, seeksurf, little lost tiki, TikiMango, Benzart, Fugu, Bowana, laojia, Paipo, squid and tok-tok! thanks for checking on me and taking the time to comment, I appreciate it very much.
About how they sound, well, I'm not sure, I was able to carve them , but I'm the worst drummer ever, that's for sure. They sound a little different now, with the all the way trhu carves, but they still have an interesting sound... if i find any squids around here, that can make them sound cool , i'll tape something... :)
Thanks again!

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 4:25 PM

On 2009-06-22 16:08, Clarita wrote:
They sound a little different now, with the all the way trhu carves, but they still have an interesting sound... if i find any squids around here, that can make them sound cool , i'll tape something... :)
Thanks again!

Easy solution. Bring them to Tiki Oasis. Every drummer there (me included) will quality check them!

Just a another friendly Ohana service we provide here, free of charge.

:)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 23, 2009 12:19 AM

AWESOME!!!!! GROG like.

B

"Thank surfintiki!! Where do I come up with this stuff? well, everything has to do with everything in my case, I mean my "Tikis" are very me, a mix of all the stuff I like (I grew up watching cartoons, then studied hand made animation, so I like simple strong colorful characters a lot. and i like music a lot too so those are my two biggest influences I think) and the way I am (weird, rebel, honest....) to me the tiki culture has music in it, if you get what I mean. and the other thing is that I don't like designing first and then carving or using anything as reference, I like to go with the flow of the material and surprising myself with the result...

But in this case I'm drawing the general lines and then carving and changing it on the way, I already draw the other two guys but who knows how they are going to end up looking like
Thanks again everybody, your support means a lot to me, really! "

Just Listen to you sounding like the perfect artist. Tell us More. Now I see where some of your design skillz come from.

I just realized this guy is beating drums held up by a Bamboo Stand? I Can't Stand it your mind thinks ahead in such neat ways.
Of course I Still am Amazed at the crisp perfection of your detail and from the sounds of it you had better get busy as there are dozens here wanting your Neat drummer bands
I've said it before and now again, Your signature is Awesome!

Very, very cool design.

WOW! Those are astounding! I might have to do my own version of them using the pvc pipes. Keep up the great work!

-LT

C

Thanks squid you and the other drumers at the oasis are such a nice ohana :). i'll do my best to make a new set for you, extra spice :)

Thanks GROG, Glad GROG like!

Aaaww! thanks Benzaroo, you like to make me cry (of joy) ones or twice a year don't you? :) you are awesome and the most talented and generous guy around! snif snif thanks again

Thanks Grapa-RuHa!

Thanks The Lounge Tiki. pvc hm? those must have a cool sound too, maybe different?. but are you planning on carving those, or paint them or what? now I'm intrigued

N

Clarita,
Found this thread after reading your response in the theoretical discussion thread - thank goodness for such threads that get me leaving the Other Crafts forum and visit the next door neighbours :wink:

Beautiful work and what a great progress. Everything from the candle holders to the drums sure have your unique signature. You rock!

C

Thanks nukke, yes i know what you mean it's hard to keep up with everybody, a lot to see on TC, glad my post made sense to you :)

C

The last set of drums I've carved, were already made, my mother bought them in '81 at the north of Brazil.
This time I've made them from scratch, using green bamboo, the yellow one in the pic it's named Tacuaron

So here it is the 2.0 version of the same guys i did before, but entirely made by me, with some changes just for fun :)

There are still some details to take care of..
I'm going to take the pics all around them, when I get some sun... It's winter here, and it rains and rains...
Much Aloha to everyone

wow! I love these!

Amy

B

They have a beautifully wild style to them!

Bowie

PS Send us some of your rain!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ Edited by: Bowana 2009-09-01 12:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies