Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clarita's experiments

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies

2.0 versions
just as cool as the 1.0!
You keep getting better every carve,Clarita!
picnic?
:)

T

On 2009-08-31 20:30, Bowana wrote:
If you put the two pictures close together, it's easier to compare the differences and similarities!
So you carved set 1.0, and then carved set 2.0 to be exactly the same only different? :)

Ah yes. I see the differences now! Great design work and clean execution. SWEET.

B

oops.

[ Edited by: Bowana 2009-09-01 12:08 ]

Great stuff Clarita...better each time around :)

C

Thanks Amy! I'm very happy you love them (you are one of the girls on TC that make me really proud, i love your work and style as person)

Thanks Bowana, specially for the wild style thing, it's what i'm sort of going for, that's why i always do symmetric stuff uneven, to me it's what make the carving alive, it's one of the things that are amazing about as too, that we are supposed to be symmetric but we aren't, the sides are always different or at list one it's bigger than the other. so to me that's a very interesting thing about the way things are...
this pic it's just a preview to show what it's going on around here, i didn't wanted to post those two pics together because of the light and that you can't see very well the details anyway. I'll post better pics later, be patient! :) but thanks for caring.

Thanks LLT
picnic?
sure, you know I'm waiting for you guys to come learn the tango here, but you where the ones that change here for the cartel :)
btw how much money do you own them? :)

Thanks very much TheBigT, i'll post pics later to see the differences in the design better, stay tuned :)

Thanks conga I like your work a lot! :)

What i really wanted to show you here, it's that i managed to imitate the color of the very old drums, by burning and working the green bamboo, until it ended up looking like that.
the reason why i did the same guys again but different it's because Squid liked the first set, just the way it was, but I wanted to keep it because these drums were around my house for 30 years now, so they have a special meaning to me. But i wanted to be able to make a set for Squid also, that would look as old, or at list with very interesting colors, not flat flashy green, that in time would have turned into the flat caramel yellow we all know bamboo has.
I'm waiting for some sun for the pics
thanks for looking!

My Space

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-09-01 12:30 ]

C

This is the first set of drums I've carved, they are 30 years old, my mother bought them in '81 at the north of Brazil.
What is really cool about them is the colors the bamboo has. after I finish carving them Squid wanted to buy them, but I wanted to keep them because they have a special meaning to me.
I wanted to be able to make a new set for him. So I've bought green bamboo of all the sizes I needed, and thin leather for the patches. But as you know green bamboo it's very flashy green and it turn into yellow in time but the color it's flat.
So i've worked the green bamboo, burning, carving and pealing it until it looked like the old set. It wasn't easy, i've burned, cracked and broken stuff on the way, I had to start over one of them twice! My fingers really hurt... but I didn't give up and i'm proud :)

this is the second set made entirely by me from scratch, that imitates the colors of the old ones

and here are some pics to see the differences between sets

There you go surfin

still no sun here, this are with electric light, i didn't wanted to upload to many heavy pics, so i tought this photoshop pics were good enough to see the differences. i didn't have the patience to make them better :)
Aloha! hope you like

My Space

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-09-02 18:28 ]

T

They are all great. You did a terrific job on aging that green bamboo.

Clarita! These are SO good. You on are ON it! The small sqiggle on the back, is that your signature? Close-up please!

S

Outstanding you have outdone yourself with these guys.
They are so cool.

B

Agree with everyone, Beautiful work girl. Getting Better with each Beat.
And the Beat goes ON

L
laojia posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 9:25 PM

but I didn't give up and i'm proud :)

You can be proud! Very nice work Clarita! :wink:

J.

H

WOW, Clarita --those are the coolest things I've seen in a long time! You should be very proud!

Im just seeing these new pieces for the first time. ooOOOOOo aaaaAAAAHHHHH WWWOOOOOOWWW I've never seen anything like them.

B

:) :D :lol:

C

TikiMango thanks, I'm happy you think so, I know you can be very picky :)
Thanks surfintiki! I'm trying
Thanks seeksurf! I think I did, I wasn't sure if it was going to work out honestly..
Thanks Benzart! I have to confess you have a lot to do with the beat going on, more than once now, I've kept posting just because you told me to :)
Thanks laojia! you are one of the though audience to convince around here too, it's an honor that you think I should be proud.
Thanks very much Howland your opinion is very important to me, thanks so much for posting and for the particular comment.
Thanks Sophista-tiki! another of my favorite gals around here and difficult to convince too!

Thanks so much, I'm proud to hang with such a cool and talented bunch of people! you inspire me to take the higher road in life, and to try to be better with my work every day, I couldn't do it with out you...

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 1:47 PM

Clarita, This body of work is truly excellent :-) You have a remarkably skilled hand. Please keep posting! Wonderful, just wonderful!

H
Heath posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 1:51 PM

These are really cool, keep on with the great carves.

C

Thank you Babalu, you really rule!
thanks a bunch Heath!

Those new drums are a great upgrade/evolution of the former ones!
Too cool,Clarita! They're just different enough to have their own personalities!
Picnic with the cartel...soon! :)

What a Great carve!!! Love the flow of al the lines,Excellent job!!1, Aloha, Mooney

C

Thanks little lost tiki and MooneyTiki :)

Here's a new Bamboo carving, this time I've used Tacuaron, is a different kind of Bamboo, that is a lot thicker than the Chinese one and yellow even when fresh

Much Aloha to you all!

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-10-19 17:02 ]

Beautiful new 'boo' Clarita...I give you a lot of credit for doing
something different and doing it well. This one is a favorite of
your creations.

very diff and very cool !!! luvin it!!!

Oooh, I love the PNG style eyes. You are an INNOVATOR! Your stuff is so unique and good. It's been cool watching you progress to where you are now.

T

GREAT another project i gotta try looks to damn good not to awsome work c

Clarita!

You've got this mastered!

Super clean lines and nice flow to it all!

Love it!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:00 PM

GROG like.

B

Benzart likes this one too Clarita, and yes you Are the Bamboo Queen. No one is doing anything like what you are doing. Your works are so Crisp and clean and Wonderful to behold! hanks for sharing them with us.

L

You carve deep in this bamboo!!! Nice curve on the spiral eyes, good work Clarita!
This one the best yet...

J.

T

Beautiful works of art these new samples are, Clarita!

I love the harmony of the designs and the execution of them is absolutely superb.

These are very desirable too. These would grace any tropical environment, anywhere placed. I would not hesitate at all to display a Clarita's / New Bamboo Carving in my tiki space at home.

Thank You for sharing!

H

Hola Clarita!!! Tanto tiempo..

Que buenissimos tus tikis!!!

I'm coming back to Argentina for a week at the end of November and I have a special little TC well-travelled tiki for you...

Very nice!
That new type of bamboo
seems to like you!
:)

Benzart esta cierto, estas la Riena de Bamboo :)

Beautiful work Clarita.

B

Totally Awesome !

[ Edited by: benella 2009-10-20 14:35 ]

That new bamboo is perfect for you! Those are some deep, deep cuts. Great looking piece.

A
amate posted on Wed, Oct 21, 2009 4:10 PM

Hello Clarita,

I am fairly new at TC and have never seen your thread before. I love your style... very original. I will look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

C

Thanks congatiki, means a lot to me, i'll try not to waste my conga credits :)
Thank you BIG tiki scott!
surfintiki thanks for being around, I'm glad you like
Thanks tikigodz let me know how it went
Lake Surfer I'm not sure who mastered who honestly :) Thanks!
Glad GROG like
Thanks Benz it's an honor you think so. I'm waiting for the knife you suggested, to get here already! happy happy!
laojia, little lost tiki and TikiMango the secret is that this kind of bamboo has a very thick wall, 3 or 4 times thicker than the Chinese one, so you can go a lot deeper with the cuts, and it's also softer to carve, but the outside is not as great to work with fire, as the other kind, thanks for posting
TikiG it means a lot, gives me strength to keep going, thanks!
harro Hola amigo! good to here from you, stop taking all my tikis on adventures around the world, i have your Tiki Modern hostage... so bring them back! :)
MadDogMike gracias PerroLoco, me gustan mucho tus mugs, muy buenos :)
Merci beaucoup benella :)
amate, I'm not very representative of what TC is about, they just let me hang around because they are nice, honestly :) thanks for checking my work out

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-10-25 11:19 ]

S

Looks incredible! love the garden shot looks so cool!

Clarita!!!!! Love the new carve, wow your stuff is great, keep up the great work

Amy

Very Cool!! I am loving your bamboo tiki's.

Amazing, simply amazing. I wish we had a better supply of bamboo here in Iowa so I could try my hand at this. Oh well, a better reason to go to warmer regions.

-LT

C

Thanks guys!
Heres a new one

I've used no stain, only fire, to get the colors.
Hope you like him :)

YES! Another awesome one. Quite the niche you're CARVING out for yourself there. Muy Bueno!
How big is that piece anyway? I'd like to see it along with something to compare the size. What are you using for your torching?

Those are amazing! Great work in perfect detail.

Another winner, Clarita!

Nice work on this one, love the contrast!

better and better!

L

Much and much better Clarita! Bravo!

I find this in an old book called "art papou":

They are also drums, may be that this design will be useful for your bamboo work...

Keep the good work!

J.

C

Thank you very much surfintiki, Tikilizard, Lake Surfer, Queen Kamehameha and laojia, I'm very glad you like him!

surfintiki this one is little, he is 7 inches tall, and more or less 4 of diameter, I promise I'll take some scale reference pic on the next one. and what I'm using for my torching?... you are going to laugh... what could I be using.... guess....
I'm using one of my Tiki candles, yes really... :D

laojia oh those are very nice! but how do you play them, do they have a patch up there?

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-11-08 11:32 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies