Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clarita's experiments

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies

C

Thanks seeksurf glad you like!
thanks little lost tiki, is all your fault you know! you've make me come hang with the cool folks :D!
so any complain about my weird style, you can talk to Kenny! :D!
Thanks! surfintiki, two years and my pics keep getting worse, soon I'll post little drawings instead i guess :)
thanks again your replys make me happy!

H
harro posted on Sat, Nov 1, 2008 10:30 AM

hola clarita como estas??

I have something for you from a TCer in NZ - one day it will finally reach you!

me encanta las LED tikis!!!!!!!!!

C

:D! I want my little something from NZ!! But i guess i'll have to wait till the wedding :)
Congrats my friend and thanks!

C

I got inspired making some pendants

Tiki Girl

and her friends Toto, Hohu, kin, Coolcat and Batu
Hoping a great year to you all, Aloha!

My Space

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-01-09 10:47 ]

Great pieces love em all.
Stay inspired and keep making cool stuff.
Aloha

B

WELL It's about time girl, and I REALLY Love the self portrait of you standing there carving!
Way Cool Clarita.

Cool! 'specially the CoolCat. Very unique stuff, love 'em!

B

On 2009-01-09 10:45, Clarita wrote:
and her friends Toto, Hohu, kin, Coolcat and Batu

What's the girl's name?
:)

C

Thanks Grapa-RuHa you are very kind!!

Thanks Benz!! she is not me really, because I haven't carved any poles, I never work standing (if I can manage to sit) and she is wearing flip flops, and I never ever wear that! But she is one of my kind that's for sure, she is my little homage to cool girls, the ones that other than pose and look pretty, want to be good at something important to their souls...

Thanks a lot surfintiki glad you like!

Bo the girl's name is Tiki Girl, but if you don't like it, you can nickname her in a way you like, no problem :)

And here a couple more

The board brothers at the extremes, Fugu, Pascua and a little set of flower..

Great new batch of pendants Clarita!
Those Board brothers are A-1!
i love the way your mind works....

S

Yes, Yes now where talking right up my ally
The board brothers LOVE IT!

C

Thanks for getting me Ken :)!
Thanks Seeksurf I think I found somehting else down your alley, but you tell me :)

S

Congrats on the 2 years on TC.

But yes i love the longboard palm theme.
It would look awfully nice in me RV down at the
beach.

Clarita do you sell you little fella somewhere?
online?

C

... Not right now ...
But thanks for asking!

B

Awwww, Is this you? :) Very nice!

BD

nice clarita. like the pendants. really like the surf board. what part of ba? was born there but i haven't been back since 72.

bd

Digging on the surf stoked pendants Clarita!

I love this new work you are doing!

Your art has always been very original and very creative!

C

Hey Babalu, thanks for stopping by :)
I guess all sculptors make them selves a little, but the real intention was to make an homage to cool girls.

Thanks big daddy, i'm from Palermo, near where the botanic garden and the zoo are, the city changed a lot since 72, but the steaks are still the greatest, you should come visit sometime :)!

Thanks Lake surfer, it's the greatest thing you can say to me, thanks a bunch!! :)

C

I've got this

So I wanted to try them on something right away! I guess you use this to carve a flat piece of wood, but i didn't have any, so i went trhu my home and the first thing I could find was my "mate" (it's a beverage we drink here,you fill this with "yerba mate" and put hot water on it, then you drink trhu the "bombilla")

But the wood was too hard...
So the second thing i could find was a percussion instrument made of Bamboo,and this is what I managed to sort of carve (more like scratch i would say,because it's not to thick...) :)

and here you can see the rest of it

I think I'm going to stain the inner cuts, and maybe do something with the other ones, I don't know yet, any suggestions are welcome :)!

BD

muy lindo. me gusta mucho lo que hiciste con tu mate. los mios son muy finito. perdoname, pero he perdido mucho de mi espanol y es un poco dificil porque nunca aprendi ha escribir el idioma. keep up the good work.

bd

ps. my family was from belgrano, zapiola y juramento (at least i think that's how you spell it). definitely have to return to visit the old country.

Clarita you have come so far from your initial post on candles :) great job!

Amy

B

Dayyum Girl, You're a WOOD CARVER! :)
HappyHappyHappy :lol: :o

B

With a drawing like this one, this bamboo tiki will be fantastic or awesome, nothing else !

Benjamin.

B

It's great to see you picking up some carving tools Ms. Clarita! Great stuff!....your going to get hooked! :)

C

Thanks big daddy! You remember a lot and everything is spell right even the streets (you are better than me at English! You are making me look bad!) :D!

Thanks QK, what i like the most about TC is all the nice/creative people you meet a long the way!

Thanks Benz you are too kind, but i'm a bamboo carver so far :)

benella that comment made me happy happy happy, what can i say but THANKS!

Thanks Babalu! I'm starting to be! Look a second attempt :)

an other drummer drum :)

C

Well here is my biggest effort with this one, I wish I could keep going, but as you know bamboo is hollow and I don't want to break it...

This was all the "equipment" I used, no hammer or anything else involved, because bamboo is too fragile and it breaks a lot, so I had to cut and slice very slowly into it.
i've learn a lot each minute I've spend with this, and I appreciate very much all that bamboo has to say, how it makes you work like he wants, and not the other way around. It makes you slowdown, to be able to listen and learn the way, otherwise it will break.... Very interesting! A great workout in the approach to carving, I think. Not that carving should be about this (specially tikis carving), but is good to learn it too, at list I've enjoyed it very much.

L

fineness of the work of fine materials...I respect that. You should learn about japanese craftman who work bamboo, it seems to me that the technique is similar..

Clarita!
Great bamboo work there!
you're branching off into other materials
and your talent makes it happen!
HOORAY!

bamboo is quite fragile
you've done a great job!

Bravo! It looks so precise. Are you going to do more? Or are OTHER woods calling you?!?!

B

So this is what you've been up to, hm?
The shallowness of the carved areas almost reads like tattooing. Nice clean lines.
Is the red color a type of stain?
Buen trabajo!

Bowie

Aloha Clarita!

These are beautiful creations from bamboo!

Great colors and lines... a very creative idea!

Keep up the inspirational work!

Man Clarita this guy is so clean and sharp looking.

BD

clarita, beautiful work. and the patients to carve so slowly. great job.

C

laojia Thank you very much, It's amazing want Chinese bamboo carvers can do!

little lost tiki Thanks! I don't think the meaning of what I'm doing around here, or why I do what I do, was coming across very well with what I did so far using wax (people think I like candles and I only choose wax because of what it lets you do on the designing level), that's why I want to carve originals and learn from noble materials like wood. Because the finished piece will show much better what I'm about. And ultimately I'm here to connect with people that get's what I'm trying to do and what kind of person i'm trying to be. So little by little I hope I'll get there :)

surfintiki I'm going to finish the other one I've started, but as you suspect OTHER woods are calling me, for sure! Bamboo is to limited, you can't get much volume out of it, an less you are Chinese :)

Bowana Thanks! no the red color is because I took the picture with sun, these are very old drums so the bamboo is very dry and it was like "burned"(I don't know how to say it right), so it has brow areas and more caramel ones and some a little redish, it looks more like the pic with the tools.
I discovered that if you peal off very thin slices, you find different color in the first layers of the outside of the bamboo, so I being playing with that, on the nose, mouth and drum, and then i leave some parts untouched, that look more brilliant. I think it adds a lot to the harmony of the guy...

Lake Surfer Thank you very much! means a lot to me.

seeksurf Thanks ! You think , you think? :)

big daddy Gracias! it's great to calm down crazy minds like mine own :)

Back to fighting the second guy, I'll try to do something different with this one... we'll see...

B

Clarita, Most Excellent Stuff you are doing with such Limited tools even. I Love the precise lines you are getting and I Know it is not easy with cured bamboo. It wouldn't hurt to carve all the way through in places maybe? Also if you can find it, try carving some Green, fresh bamboo, you will see a big happy difference. Your designs are excellent too, Darn Look at you!

T

Clarita, awesome tikis, love the last bamboo guy, I carved bamboo once and cut my hand, it's really hard to carve right.
So kudos for such a nice one, deep cuts too... amazing!!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 11:20 PM

GROG like.

B

Oh, I Forgot, try using a light inside to tell you when the wall is getting too thin, it will light up a bit!.

B

those look great!
thats what i like about tc,you never know what cool
thing a person will come up with next

C

Thank you very much Benzart, Tahitiki, GROG and buzzard!
So I've kept going with the second guy, following Benzart advise to cut all the way trhu at some parts (mouth and eyes were my choices), and I wanted to try making textures too, so this is how he is looking now

and here one with his other friend

I have two more bamboos I think I'm going to make a drummers band... :)

I have two more bamboos I think I'm going to make a drummers band...

YES! YES! YES!
you nailed those others!
The textures and open areas make em SHINE!
Thanks for sharing and making us smile!

S

Oh my! you have hit the spot with these guys they look GREAT!
That Benz's what a master what would we do without him?

C

Very cool stuff Clarita. Great design and nice deep cuts. What's gonna
be next?

C

oops...my first double post.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2009-04-08 15:34 ]

BD

great clarita! very nice carve. great use of the bamboo.

bd

B

:o WOW :o

From here, he looks perfect !

Bravo,

Benjamin.

L

Well done Clarita! The second is very better than the the first, like the texture. You find your way!

B

Excellent Stuff there Clarita but where are the ones you said you messed up? The textures are really an excellent addition to an already neat carve.
We're gonna get you into Stone next so get ready, you're a natural!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 741 replies