Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben est là's stuff: 03/24 Creative Chimps' masterpiece in Paris !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies

T

Hi Ben, nice to see you finally started something bigger. But did you finish the marqeater? I guess, the eater will be for hanging him up, right?

B

Hi Tok Tok and thanks. The eater is going to be hung, you are right. I didn't find the time to finish him because I was far from house these days. I still have a lot of job to do with and with the last small marq that needs a bit stain or a colored varnish... More to come :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

C

Hey Ben, I see you are not toolless any more yay! and now you have a sander double yay! the new one is already looking interesting!!
happy 2008 for you too!

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 2:19 PM

Aloha Ben,

that's great you are back -back with superb tools
The new one is great i love the mouth of it
It's your style

peace and love and Rock n Roll for 2008

bye
Akuae

PS PLEASE don't let the tools in your car :)
put the Pfeils under yor bed :)

B

Hi,

Clarita: Thanks. I'm pretty happy with my new chisels and I couldn't wait to use them... Happy new year 2008 and the best for you and your tiki candles :wink:

Akuae: Thanks. Happy new year 2008 to you and your family. This tiki will wait a bit because I got a project, kind of challenge for me to do first... more soon ! Don't hesitate to post the pix of the big fat chainsawed thing :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

R

Hey Benjamin. I see Santa was good to you, and your paying tribute to your good fortune. I think you've made a leap with your new tools and your new tiki. I'd sure be interested in seeing that tiki stool you mentioned. Nice to see your work again.

Robin

B

Hi Robin and thank you for your entry. I'm still searching for the design of the stool. Until now, it took me an eternity to debark this piece of wood without hurting the wood itself.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Benjamin, this big guy has got a great start! Loving what you've got going with the eyes and the mouth. I don't know how you can take a break though, I get going on something like this and I can't put it down until it's done. :wink: Have fun with the new tools!

B

Hi Lake, thank you very much. In fact, I began this tiki during the holidays by my sister in law in her garden and now I'm back home in a flat ... but I'll finish it pretty soon :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Aloha Benella!!!
Very nice carvings my friend and it looks like you got some sweet chisels as well, keep slaying the wood looking forward to seeing more sweet carvings, Aloha your friend Mooney

B

Aloha,

Thanks Mooney for the kind words.

Today's a small update post with a old finished marq and a little tiki I've been carving during the long days of work. This litle one is supposed to be part of a bigger project if my current work let me breath enough !

Mahalo,

Ben.

B

Ben, BEN, This last guy is Really looking GREAT! I'm Really loving watching your progress since you have new tools. Even the small pieces are getting Scary great.

That Lil' Marq is NICE! Great job!!

R
Robin posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2008 4:06 PM

Hi Benjamin, It made me really happy to open your thread the see this new little Tiki...I love miniatures. What a nice rendition. Hope your job lets you have more time to work on him. Do you find that the little ones take just as much as the big ones? Pretty piece of wood too.

R.

S

Good to see a update. Not much time to work on the bigger fellow?
I thought that you Euro countries had the short work week and
the great vacations.

B

Hey thanks friends,

Ben: thank you, my new tools helped in the last bigger piece to carve faster and a bit better so it gave me lessons about how to begin carving a piece after having drawn it.

Capt'n : thanks, I'm really loving your Tang. Finished soon ? :wink:

Robin: Thanks, the miniature is in fact a big guy comparing to the tiny super face on your club :lol: Happy you like them :wink:

Seek : Thanks, the great vacation stands during July and August especially for children but as I'm working on my own, when I don't work, I don't earn any money, I'm the boss of myself !

Update soon on the bigger guy, I began his arms, feet and hands (it's the first time for me).

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Good luck on the hands and feet. Hum being you
a foot Doc I'm expecting good feet.

B

On 2008-01-25 17:14, seeksurf wrote:
Hum being you a foot Doc I'm expecting good feet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what I said to myself : "don't mess with the feet, don't mess with the feet"

:lol:

Benjamin.

C

Hey Ben, you are giving a good use to Santa Tools! Greetings :) !

B

ALOHA,

Thanks everyone for the great support!

Upate for the hand and fingers that were a hard work !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

H

if you can do those fingers so good imagine what you can do with the feet!!! :lol: :lol:

looking great, I really like the chisel finish too.

cheers,
harro.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2008 4:24 PM

Hi Benjamin. Hands are unbelievably hard! Yours are looking very good. Like the chisel marks too...so many of them disappear. No feet yet?

B

Look at the hands on that guy! You better be careful or he's going to reach out and grab you with them!

It's coming along nicely, Benjamin. I looked back a few pages to see if you mentioned what kind of wood it is, but couldn't find anything. Is it Eucalyptus?

lookin good! keep the pictures comming

S

Nice ben! the hand is coming along nice.
I'm struggling with my hand the dam thing.
Only if it was lined up with the fingers :)

B

WoW Ben! I agree with everyone else...this fella is really taking shape. Love the hands...love the side view too. You have come a long way my friend.

B

Aloha,

Harro : thank you, the first foot is being carved :wink:

Robin : Thank you too, and yep the feet are coming very soon :wink:

Bowana : Thanks, the wood is chestnut from the garden of my brother in law who lives in the south of France where the sun is shining ...not like here in Paris :lol:

Duddy : Thanks man, but where are your new pieces ??? Hope it will come soon.

Seek : Thanks. The position of the hands I carved is not as difficult as it seems but for other positions i'll take pictures of my own hands to see how they look like when I'm in front of. To buy a model is to expansive !

Babalu : Thanks for your support :)

I've worked a lot on this fellow especially on the thumb and I began to carve a foot but I forgot to take pix... Update soon, I swear :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Benjamin, I think you're on to something with this one. I see the influence of two veteran carvers... and some really good things are going to come out of this one!

Keep at it and good luck!

Aloha Benjamin!!! This tiki is looking good my friend. I love the way tou go with the flow of the wood,keep slaying the wood,Aloha, Mooney

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 11:18 AM

Hi Ben,

great new photos - love the way you takes your pictures
The Tiki comes alive

greets from Alsace

Akuae

B

Aloha,

Lake: Thank you. Two veteran carvers yes for sure :wink: You all are a great inspiration for the newbie carvers like me.

Mooney : Thank you too, my friend.

Akuae : Thanks. I can feel him coming chips after chips :wink:

A few pix :

The thumb:

Progress with the first foot:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 8:14 AM

Hi Benjamin, Those feet are really looking good...you sure know your feet! :wink:

B

thanks robin, indeed, I see a lot of feet in a day work, so I got no excuses not to carve them :wink:
I heard about clay, so where can we see your art ?

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Nice, alot more coming out each pic.
Ben funny i must have looked at my hands a
hundred times when i was carving my hands.
I also thought about taking a picture of them.

B

Thanks Seeksurf, I sanded the first foot and began the arms and second hand. Pix soon.

Have you finished your current piece?

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 9:17 PM

This is the logo for a popular Tee shirt and surfwear company. Somehow your Tiki reminds me of this! :)

H
harro posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 7:41 AM

love dem feetz!!!

I also thought of the hang ten logo. makes me want to go surfing.... dammit living in a big city :x :x

B

AllRight! Lookin Good Benny my friend. I'm Really loving the detail you are getting, Excellent work.

R
Robin posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 6:08 PM

On 2008-02-04 08:21, benella wrote:

I heard about clay, so where can we see your art ?

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Hi Benjamin...you can come to my house. :wink: Seriously...I'm working on a website. But you can come to my house too!

How is your carving doing?

R.

B

Hi there !

It's been a while ! I know.

Thanks to Bowana, Harro, Benzart, Robin and G.

Indeed, the feetz look like the Hang Ten logo, that's funny.

Here are a few pix of the last days work:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Hang Ten, Benjamin!

That chestnut wood is going to look beautiful after staining, too!

S

Looking good Ben, the feet are coming out.
Man the wood looks as hard as a rock?

B

Thanks Bowana, I'm still wondering about staining it or leaving it natural with some coats of varnish :)

Thanks Seek, this wood is not the softer one i carved, indeed, but with my new chisels it goes pretty well :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 5:47 AM

good one ben!!

keep on keeping on and it will be done in no time!

cowabunga dude!

B

Hi Harro and thanks for the words. This boy will be soon finished. It remains a few things to carve and ... the sanding :wink:

Benjamin.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 7:15 PM

What a great pose! Love it :D

B

Ben, This guy is really looking great. I just KNOW you are going to go all out with the detail, I can see you prepping him for it. Your grasp of the human body and extremities is unusually Keen. Now the Grain is showing its face too and what a Beautiful face she has, that grain is enough to make a grown man cry it's so beautiful.
Now get yer self together and listen to the Ancients who will guide you to the best tiki you have done!
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

Hi,

Thanks Hewey.

Thanks Ben, your words come right on time ! I wait for the spirit of the Ancients especially for the details to come; perhaps nothing on the body but certainly on the headress.

i forgot to take new pix of the boy but I'll fix it as soon as I can !

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies