Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben est là's stuff: 03/24 Creative Chimps' masterpiece in Paris !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies

R
Robin posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 2:32 PM

Hi Benjamin...nice to see you carving again. That wood is REALLY pretty! And your carving does it justice! Looking forward to the pics....and that headress.

B

Thanks Robin, your words helped and help ! I'll take new pix as soon as I can. Remains the right side where one is supposed to see a part of the waist and the leg... kind of hard to go there :lol:
I'm thinking about the headress... it takes time !

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 6:46 PM

Very cool stuff Benjamin. I knew you were gonna explode once you got some bigger toolz. This guy is just dripping with character; let's see some more of him?

B

Ben, How's this nice piece coming along, can't wait to see more updates!

B

Aloha,

Thanks G and Benz.

Here are a few pix, just before the headress !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Lovely work Ben, well balanced and proportioned, looking forward to seeing this finished.

A
AKUAE posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 8:37 AM

Hi Ben,
hope your new Tiki will be soon finished
A great one !!!

ciao
Akuae

R
Robin posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 5:00 PM

Nice Benjamin. Do you have him some place where you can see him to contemplate that headdress? He's waiting for it.

S

Nice Ben! Bring it on home. You are coming along nicely.

Great work so far Benjamin, your best piece!

Lets see that headress!

ALOHA Ben!!! LOOKING SWEET my friend!thanks for sharin, Aloha , Mooney

C

Oh the new one is cool! so how it's going now?

T

When I first saw your new headline I was really shocked. I thought, you were going to stop carving.
I was far wrong.
These are some very nive feet. And everything else of course, too. We all can see, that you were thinking a lot about the anatomic correctness. Very good outcome, so where is the rest?

B

Thanks to Cheekytiki, Akuae, Robin, Seek, Lake, Mooney, Clarita and Tok Tok.
You all know that means a lot :)

Today is progress/update day with the headress: Part I :lol:

Sanded hand:

Drawn headress - Front:

Drawn headress - Back:

First part carved:

Sorry for the last picture, the thing seems to be really dusty, it may need a bit more sanding !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Yo, Ben, this guy is looking Great. I Love seeing you experiment and explore your chisels. Isn't it Great to have good tools? And it is even Greater learning how to use them. You have learned a LOT with a short amount of carvings.
Keep it up. HAppyHappyHappy

B

Thanks Ben,

Indeed, having good tools and carve with them is a real pleasure.
Thanks.

Benjamin.

S

Very nice touch on the head dress it looks great!

B

Hi Seek. Thanks, I hope this guy will be finished quite soon because I'm on the drawing of the next wich I can't stand to begin :lol:

Benjamin.

H
harro posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 3:00 PM

hi Ben that headress is coming along mighty fine!! should be quite the masterpiece when your finished with this!!!

Lookin Great! Your focus on detail is lookin dead-on. That wood might look good just varnished, and thats hard for me to say, I stain everything!

B

Hi Harro and Surfintiki, your words are much appreciated, thanks !

Surfintiki: I might stain it finally :)

The detail on that headdress is lookin' mighty fiiiine~

R
Robin posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 2:28 PM

Hi Benjamin...I say go ahead and start the other one! It's kind of nice to go back and forth. This one is coming along really nicely...love the lattice work on the headdress.

B

Thanks Freddie and Robin.

Robin : It seems I heard your thoughts because I already started the new big one yesterday :lol: Thanks for your constant support my friend.

Benjamin.

benella that carving is looking Aweasome and I'm diggin the Headress my friend! Aloha , Mooney

B

Aloha,

Thanks Mooney, I'm digging all your new works my friend.

Headress update at last ! I've been messing with some tons of things that took me apart from carving :(

Here are the pix:

As you see, it still remains a lot of work to do ! I hope to have him finished before the end of 2008 :lol:
The headress is particularly difficult to realyze for me because the tools I use are not small enough so that the way to remove the chips is often sneaky and the result is not as neat as I want... but I'll work on it 'til the very end !

Mahalo for looking,

Benjamin.

B

On 2008-04-18 00:11, benella wrote:
Aloha,As you see, it still remains a lot of work to do ! I hope to have him finished before the end of 2008

We are both in the "I hope To Finish It By This Year " Club!

Nice detail pattern on the headress, Benjamin. And be careful, with feet like that he might run off somewhere! :lol:

H

Hi Benella,

hope you are fine! Thanks for your guestbook entry and the greetings. :)
I met Alex alias Akuae in Basel at the Surfin Crome Spectacle.
I was a very nice day and we talked a lot.
You asked for pics. I posted some this week at our homepage.
Have a nice weekend,

Kai

B

Bowana : Thanks. In fact, he cannot stand up because of his arms and hands: too small :lol: :lol: :lol:
And for the club, I'm O.K but we need a logo :lol:

HaiKai: Thanks for stopping by. I hope to meet you too one day :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Ben, he Sure is coming along Nicely. That basket-weave is not as simple as you make it look I bet. Looks Great

B

Thanks for the nice words, Ben. I was contemplating your new pix :) :) :)

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Ben-jamin, you new piece is coming along nicley. The headress is looking really cool, and you did a great job on the feet.

Aloha Benjamin! Your tiki is looking excellent! I love the detail that your putting in it,Keep up the nice work, Aloha your friend Mooney

H
harro posted on Sat, Apr 19, 2008 8:07 AM

aloha benjamin,

this guy is coming along great - nice work!

I'm sure you will work out all those little details.

cheers,
harro.

C

oh there you are! Looking good! Very original guy you got there, the headdress is looking great!

S

Looking good on the headdress Ben.

B

Aloha,

Thanks to Tikifreak1, Mooney, Harro, Clarita and Seeksurf.

Here is the little guy waiting for the sun:

And here he is after a few sunburns !!!

To Babalu: There is my favorite rabbit behind the little fellow, on the right, it is a tool for the pepper !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Kia ora Ben - Dang me, this broadband is paying for itself in spades. I am finally getting the chance to catch up with what peeps have been up to..

This current fella of yours is a character - love the woven-textured headdress & those feet are cute too!
What happened to the 'MarqEater' from a while back?

Tama :)

Really nice. Love the feet.

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2008-04-23 06:12 ]

B

Looks like he had a Hot foot for sure. Love this little bugger!

S

right on ben that stain will bring out
the feet and the detail work nice.

That is the strangest container for stain
it looks like it belongs in a medicine cabinet?

B

Aloha,

Tama: Thanks. The marqeater has been left on his own for too long, I messed a bit with his headress... but it will be fix soon :)

Tikilizard: Thanks, I have been searching for your work but found anything :( Where is it "viewable" ?

Benzart: Thanks, I put some varnish on his feet and everywhere to heal everything :lol:

Seeksurf: Thanks, I am very glad with the stain that seems to feel good with the chisel texture ! The stains we find in France are all filled with water that's why we find it in strange bottles like this one. Unfortunately, the water stain gives a very dry look to the pieces so that you're wondering what will happen until you put clear coat or wax or varnish!!!
The brand is "les frères Nordin" that means the brothers Nordin; it is a brand that offers a lot of good solutions to finish the furnitures : stain, wax, oil, steelwool... And they certainly don't know that their products are very useful for the tikiphiles :lol:
I am still searching for "minwax" but still haven't found in France...

Now the pix, here it is how he looks now after 2 coats of "colorless silky satine" varnish:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Just caught your post before calling it a night - good way to end the day. I like the colour youve used to seal, it really shows off the contrast of the smooth and lightly textured effects. Just want to tickle those toes too..

Now please dont take this as an insult, but that woven pattern on the headdress is now reminding me (from the back esp.) of some futuristic Polynesian/Alien/brain-helmet thing.. (Can anyone else see that or I have I had too much wine again..?hic) I like it!

Good night Tiki-world.. Cheers Ben!

Tama :)

B

I think you have Really out done yourself here this guy is Sweet. The finish just makes it!
Beautiful piece Benj

Nice finish Ben-jamin!!! Turn out really cool, I just want to tickle his little feet!

S

Right On Benella way to bring him home.
You did a outstanding job on your large piece of wood.
Those feet's are looking good they look like classic
hang tens.

Any way to order miniwax online or is the cost to great?

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:25 AM

Great job Ben!

A
AKUAE posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 1:35 PM

Hi Benella, great job and great finish
le pied :)
Akuae

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies