Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben est là's stuff: 03/24 Creative Chimps' masterpiece in Paris !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies

Howdy Ben, tall lono is in the garage at home. He
will be getting lots of attention soon.

T

Hey there Ben, I see you've rounded up the butt a little more on this one. :lol: Show us what else you've done. I can't wait to see more. Keep up with the progress pic's.

C

Looking good! :)

S

What up buddy?

B

After having moved, lost my broadband, and finally been the proud dad of my first baby Timothee (timothy in English I think) here is my new entries :

The little bear is not a tiki of course, it's for the bed of Timothee.

And a little something to wish him good luck and welcome home:

It's a bit of a tree that has been cut down in front of the hospital on his birthday ! I don't know the specie of this tree. Just sanded and oiled it.

Pix of the Marquesas asap.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

... And thanks to Seek, Clarita, Tikipaka and Seek (!) for the words :wink:

Benjamin.

Congratulations on welcoming a new life into the world, Benjamin! Here's wishing you the best in that adventure with a happy, healthy family.

Beautiful carving work, by the way.

Tyler

Aloha Ben,
First of all Congratulations with your newborn son.
I became a dad for the second time last Friday so i know how you feel.

Great carving on the bear and the Tang head you made for him, he can be proud of his dad.
Enjoy family life.
Greetz,
Grapa-Ruha

T

Congratulations!!! And great to see you posting again.

Nice bear. I think it's awesome that you're making some keepsakes for your son. He's gonna grow up to love that stuff. 8)

C

Hey congrats! :)! I'm very happy for you, what a nice bear you made for Timothee! Aloha to you all!

Benjamin,
Good luck to you snd your new mini-Ben.
He will cherish your work when he's older.
Ciao

B

Congrats Benjamin!!

Cute cute bear! You'll be teaching little Timothee to carve soon, right?
Be sure he doesn't leave his tools in his baby buggy. :)

Bowie

B

WOW, Congratulations on the new Son, I can bearly stand it, the bear is really cool and I'm sure will mean a lot to Timothy in future years.
Love that Slice of wood tiki too, Excellent eye to see that and bring it out.
Happy to have you back!

S

Congrats man! Thats a big deal.

The little wood bear is very cool. How cool
would that be to get a wood carved bear not a Wallmart
plastic China bear NICE JOB.

A
AKUAE posted on Mon, Dec 29, 2008 8:25 AM

Hello Ben,

congratulation for your son ...... a new Tiki Carver is born
greets
AKUAE

B

:o WOW WOW WOW :o

Thanks to all of you my friends for your entries. Your posts make me really happy.

Now back to the carving :

A marquesan tiki out of basswood. It is a training for some bigger logs I have. I have to try on some little stuff before taking the chainsaw I got for Christmas :) :) :)

Back :

Right side:

Left side:

Today's progress pix:

Close up:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Ohhh Yeah Ben! Looks GREAT so far.That basswood is REAL smooth to carve. Can't wait for the next installment..AND what lurks ahead with the chainsawr!!

C

Hey, nice carvings, the bear is cool and I really like that little
slice of tiki. Congratulations on the new addition to the family.
Your carvings (and parenting) have come a long way :)

S

GREAT START! this looks cool aready nice!

B

Hey thanks Surfin', Conga and Seek.
I hope to add some update very soon on the marq.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Hi TC-ers,

Pix are better than words !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

BD

owwww! my imagination is going. can't wait to see the final product.

bd

S

Ben long time no see. I almost forgot about this guy,
He is looking fantastic I'm really I'm exited out this guy.

L

the outline is perfect, waiting for the finishing, good work

B

BEnJamin, excellent blocking out shots, BOTH of these guys are looking Very Promising and if you continue going in this mode they will both be Excellent pieces to add to my shelf and I Promise I'll love them forever.
What are their sizes as it's difficult to tell without something for reference. Can't wait to see them both done.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Feb 7, 2009 3:57 PM

Where have I seen process shotz like those before? Hmmm? Glad to see you are working and creating some great pieces. Sweet! Go man, GO!

B

Thanks Big Daddy, I've seen your work and the carving you're on with the cracks is really cool. The cracks totally make it to me.

Thanks Capt'n Seeky, it's kind of hard to find time to carve because it's very snowy in this part of France and the boy... is growing fast ! How is the next masterpiece going ?

Thanks Laojia, I'm happy to find a good french carver here on T.C, I can't wait for more of your work and pix of your tools.

Thanks Ben, i would be really proud if those pieces find their way home to Port Saint-Lucie ! The small one is 7,5 cm (approx. 2,95 inches) and the "bigger" one is 13 cm (approx. 5,11 inches).

Thanks G, you certainly saw such process on your blog or thread dear master ! Happy to see you there and to see on your thread that you got some fine wood for future masterpieces.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Benjamin!

Rocking the New Year with these great new pieces!

These show how much your skill has progressed and how you've really got a handle on carving!

Looking fowrard to watching these evolve... nice work!

C

Those are looking great so far!

B

Thanks Lake, I was wondering about some details on a much bigger marquesan tiki and said to myself taht I should try my hand on a smaller one and then this smaller one was too big to "see" what I wanted so I made an even smaller one. I think the smaller one is the smaller I'll go :lol:

Thanks Clarita, I love the tiki out of bamboo you're carving, really nice design.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

L

Hello Benjamin,how come progress your's small Marquesas? when do you post update?
if, unhappily, you lack inspiration ,come to my town before 30 march:

http://musees.ca2m.com/site/_actualite_detail.php?id_actualite=46&id_groupe=
http://musees.ca2m.com/site/element_111.php

Unfortunately this expo is temporary! :(

Give news, good night..

J.

On 2008-09-24 07:02, benella wrote:
Update of the week !

Especially sanding, feet soon ( I hope)

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

nice buttocks. Do you feel kinda funny smoothing them?

B

Hey Benjamin, Looks like you are getting a little BEHIND in your work!

Looking great Sir.

B

Aloha,

Laojia: Hi dude, I'm still digging your last update !

Jungle Trader: I'm having some weather problems ! Indeed, in Paris these days are kinda sunny but only when I'm at work... I think it's going to change :)

Benz: Hi Sir, I'm still a lot late with all this woody stuff. I didn't think a baby could make me so busy ! But here's an update my friend.

The "Just sanded before Head" pix:

The "Debut Head" pix:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Very cool so far Benjamin!

B

Thanks Tfreak, new update soon !

Benjamin.

L

On 2009-03-15 01:50, benella wrote:

I didn't think a baby could make me so busy !

I understand your feeling...know the tikis await, not the baby... :wink:
Otherwise your work progressing well! I smell of chips of basswood...

A+

J.

B

Hi J. and thanks for the words.

Basswood is a real cool wood not only because we can relatively easily find it: it looks darker than usual woods and is kind of soft to carve contrary to Oak ( chêne :wink: ). I first carved some cherry wood with the chainsaw last week end and the result was awful but the grain of cherry wood is pretty cool dark redish, I don't know if you know cherry wood but if you come to Paris, I'll give you some :wink:

Eye update:

... And mouth too !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Well There you are a "Little Behind" in yer work aaGAin. I LOVE it!

S

Ben this guy is coming along really nice, I really like.
Keep chipping and keep us updated buddy.

C

Looking great so far!

L

Hi parisian/marquisian!

Nice update Benjamin! And thank for proposal cherry wood but I don't know if I've right to take a logs in TGV :o ...In fact , a friend has already set aside a few good pieces of wood fruit , including cherry...
Oak can be easy to carve (must still thump!), you must only choose the good piece , in the "quarter" or "false quarter" of the tree (I do not know if these terms are correct in english),where the fibers are most tighter and right...I've try to make a link or a drawing for most clarity...

In the meantime, good day...
j.

B

Aloha,

Thanks to Benz, Seek, Clarita and Laojia.

Benz, I think I am still a little behind with this: :wink:

Left eye sanded:

2 eyes done and sanded:

To show the size:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

BD

beautiful job benjamin. from the original photos i thought he might have been several times bigger than he is.

bd

T

nice buttocks. Do you feel kinda funny smoothing them?

Now that's funny! :lol:

Nice stuff you have going Benella!

L

Fine work!! I do not imagine so small...well done! Is that your finger tips are sanded? :wink: It is possible to look a pics of the side? for the ear...
For my update: soon, be patient :roll: ...

B

Hi J.,

And thanks for the words.
I've got 2 pix for you but the ears are not finished, at this size it will take a few days :lol:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Thank you Bd, this marquesan is 7 centimeter high from feet to top of head but it's true that by the pix he seems bigger!
Thank you Big T for the words, smoothing butts is a lot of fun :lol:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies